New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Golden Parnassus All Inclusive Resort & Spa Cancun

Golden Parnassus All Inclusive Resort & Spa Cancun
Ranked #57 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great hotel, great value.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

We just got back from a wonderful first-time stay at the Golden. The resort itself is very nice. The room was very clean and the staff were super friendly. It's located right in the middle of the hotel zone, so great ability to walk in either direction and get a good feel for the beach/hotels. The lobby is a very attractive open-air space. We were greeted right away and checked in immediately.

The food was excellent. I lived in Mexico many years ago,so I know my Mexican food-fresh and delicious every day!! I was leery of all-inclusive after a bad experience in Venezuela many years ago, but this was excellent. With 4 restaurants and the buffet, there were lots of options for eating. We tried them all and loved them all. The burger bar has outstanding guacamole and chips!!

We also went to the Great Parnassus for a visit since the all-inclusive rights include the sister property. The Great is much larger and is not adults-only. Very nice hotel, but the swim-up bar was full of kids drinking soda! Barely able to get a drink! There is an adults-only pool on the second floor terrace. It has a limited ocean view, but was very quiet.

The atmosphere at the Golden was nice. Spring break was over, so it was fairly tame. There are lots of activities to join in on-trivia, volleyball,table-tennis, etc. Some rowdiness;tequila volleyball, pool beer-pong, wet t-shirts,etc. Nothing out-of-hand and all in good fun.

Our room was lagoon-side, which was good. I think the pool-side rooms might be a bit on the loud side since there is music played for most of the day.

Overall a great trip. While we aren't big drinkers, some people really want to get their money's worth from the all-inclusive! We got a few laughs from the late afternoon pool scene. After a long day of drinking in the sun, some folks really put on a show! The staff handled everyone well. You can see that they are skilled in this aspect of the daily operation. We loved the Golden Parnassus and can't wait to go back. I would definitely recommend them to friends and family!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
11 Thank UALiz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,038)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Muncie, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012

Just got back from our vacation stay here. Very clean and the staff was very friendly. We brought our son and daughter-in-law with us and we all had a great time! Great view of the ocean and the pool with the ocean front rooms. Last night of our stay, did have some noise issues due to some young adults over indulging and getting very loud next door to us, but otherwise quiet enjoyable.

4 Thank plm1951
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Golden in May 2012. This was our 3rd stay there. Overall, we find this resort to be great for the price. My 5-star rating is based on what you get for the money; it is not a 5-star resort. Probably 3-star. But a 3-star oceanfront resort with the opportunity to be in an oceanfront room for a small upgrade fee is pretty awesome at their prices. [Note that we stayed the second half of our time at Sun Palace, which is a high end resort and is also great. I plan to write a review as well].

Rooms are not luxurious but are more than adequate and very clean. Good balconies. Good pool area with part of pool being infinity. No swim-up bar but great poolside/beachfront tiki bar that is lively until early in the morning. I don't understand why few other hotels do this. Most just shut down anything that is outside by 6pm. We like Shangri-La (pants required for men) and the Old Barn as far as restaurants.

More heavy drinking by more people even fairly early in the day than we had seen before. Don't know if that was just random to this particular time or a trend. We were on the beach so mostly away from this vibe, since that's not our scene. But it didn't dominate; you could generally stay away from it, and of course if you wanted a party it was easily available.

Again, overall a tremendous resort for the price.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank krupina
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

Now don't get me wrong, we had an amazing time.. we went to Golden Parnassus for mine and my husbands one year anniversary. From the website, I imagined this place being a bit more on the quiet side, but with some games here and there. I chose this hotel also due to the fact that it stated "No Spring Breakers", so that is why I assumed there wouldn't be all this craziness. Well it was a bit crazy. There was a game poolside of a competition of "how many sex positions you can come up with" and they had a blow up sex doll. There is only one pool. So for anybody that wants to lay around by the pool and relax - don't count on it. My husband happens to be more on the shy side, and he was scared about being called up for that competition. The entertainment staff hassle the people who don't want to be a part of the games. We would just say to ourselves "don't make eye contact!" lol. We were pretty disappointed after that. I prefer to be in the pool and not on the beach, so it made things difficult. This wouldn't be an issue what-so-ever if there were two pools, one to relax at, and the other for the spring breakers. Another huge problem at the pool is you would have to find someone and pretty much pay them to bring you out an umbrella. I mean COME ON, it's a pool area, and it's 90 degrees! Some of us burn! There was one man close by us that kept waving money and saying "please bring me an umbrella!" and gave the staff money, then the man took it and disappeared for like 15 minutes, he came back but without an umbrella, and told him it will come soon.. I mean these umbrellas are locked up within 30 feet of the pool, and nobody can get them but the staff.. but if you're inside the buffet and the servers see you carrying more than one plate, you'll have 3 servers surrounding you trying to help you.. the priorities are a bit out of wack.. they need to pay attention to some other things like the pool side with the umbrellas.

Food:
Paradise buffet: Not impressed at all. The food was very tasteless. The coffee wasn't good either. I did eat the pizza, and have some soup.. which wasn't too bad.
Pier 12: We tried the coconut shrimp after reading the reviews on it, and it was alright.. it did taste pretty good. The setting was beautiful with the ocean view. The salad bar wasn't too good.. we only went there once.
The Breeze: I had a bad first impression here, bc the fries and nachos were soft and stale, like they've been saving them for a week, but after trying it again, it was better.. the chicken sandwich was my favorite.
Sumo: Impressed with the food here. We were disappointed we only came here once at the end of our trip.
Shangri-la: This was our favorite restaurant. Excellent service, beautiful view. The food was pretty good. We went here almost every night, and never disappointed.
Old Barn: Ate there the first night, my husband didn't like his meal, so we didn't go back at all.

One thing that would give me a MUCH better impression is if they changed those table clothes! They will place you at a table with stains and food smears left from the table before. It made me lose my appetite. We went to Sumo, and they sat us at a table like this, and I just about lost it.. I asked the waitress to put us somewhere else, and she did, at another table that was less dirty.. They sat another couple at the other table, failing to clean it better. With outward dirtiness like that, it makes me scared to know what goes on behind closed doors.. :-/

The hotel room: We had a nice room, ocean view.. housekeeping did a great job.. we weren't impressed with the bed sheets, ac, or shower though.. the lighting was pretty poor.. after reading other reviews, all of it made sense! lol.. The bed sheets had stains on them, it grossed me out.. the airconditioner felt like a fan coming out of the ceiling blowing one way, which made it cold at times, and like a windstorm when you walked through it, so we had it turned off when we were in the room.. the shower you had to get all the way in to turn it on, so you either got hosed down by cold water, or you had to jump out as quickly as possibly.. the lighting was so dim! the bathroom had two lights, that had to both be turned on, and it was still dim.. when i got ready for dinner, I would turn every single light on in the room, all of the little lamps, everything, and open the curtain all the way, and that would allow for just enough light to do your make up. Our curtain was also broken in the room, so you had to like break it to move open again lol..

The Spa: looks boring. not relaxing.. no spa area, it shouldn't even be called a spa, it should be called a room with beds that they can do a massage at. No hot tub, no sauna, no steam room.. We booked our spa at The Royal Sands, and we did a couples massage called the "Lomi Lomi" and it was amazing! The spa was so nice and up to par.. and had all of these things included.

On a better note.. the staff there are excellent.. the entertainment staff is amazing, and really try hard to make you have a good time. They work their butts off! We can't say we've had a necessarily bad experience here, we probably won't come back due to the comments i've listed above. For the price, and everything that comes with it, I guess you shouldn't expect a lot anyway.. I hope this helped :)

Room Tip: The higher your floor is, the less noisy
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Lindsay T
Lenhartsville, Pennsylvania, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

We just came back from Golden Parnassus with a group of 8 people. May 11-May 16, 2012. I went to this resort with an open mind because we had gone to Jamaica last year and had such a great time that I was afraid this wasn't going to be as good, but it's really hard to not compare resorts. First thing, the people at this resort are not nice. (Minus a few) Now we were a group of rowdy 20 something's ready to party, but they really didn't have to treat us like total crap. It's not that they expect tips, but if you don't tip you will not get as good service.

My husband and I went for our 1 year anniversary and brought a bunch of friends with. Two of our friends and my husband and I upgraded our room for an extra $110 a person. This was supposed to include a cruise, private in room dinner, stocked fridge in room, fresh fruit, wine, dessert plate, and a jacuzzi. We got there and had none of this besides the jacuzzi. (And ours didn't work) We went to the front desk and asked about it, and it was no problem. They were going to fix everything right away. They stocked our friends' fridge and gave them the cruise and the dinner. The next day we said something again. Until everything was said and done, we had to get nasty with them. And they kept saying it wasn't there fault. We didn't care whose fault it was, we wanted it fixed or we wanted our money back and we would move to another room. They did give us everything, but the jacuzzi got used once and it took 45 minutes for it to fill. The people at the front desk kept cutting us off, and didn't want to listen to anything we said until we pulled out the itinery that had everything on it.

The food was not very good except for at the Old Barn. They had amazing food and great service too. The sister resort had much better food. The tiki bar was always full at night and you can barely get into get a drink especially if you don't tip. They don't have Jack Daniels (which is what my husband drinks) and they water down their drinks.

One of my biggest complaints was that they gave you no information about anything. What time the restaurants open, what to wear, what activities they have, how to get to the sister resort, how to get to the marina, what drinks they have at the bar, and the list goes on. We were so lost when we got there.

The entertainment was all peverted, and the entertainment staff (the men anyway) were rude, competitive, and were only there to have fun and check out women, not to actually please the guests. The best entertainment was the tequila volleyball, but if you don't have the right entertainment staff, it can definitely ruin the fun.

Overall, our group did have a lot of fun, but without the group of friends, we would have been completely disappointed in what we got. We will not be returning here. They need to find better more friendly staff because I did not feel welcome.

4 Thank Amanda H
Medina, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

We went to the golden from May 5-10th for the most part we like it.

We arrived in Cancun at 11:30am on sat. customs seemed really backed up but we where at the hotel by 1pm, so really not bad. We used USA transfer and they are great would recommend them to anyone. Nicer then a shared transfer and not much more we paid $55 rt.

We arrived to the hotel taken to the beer garden lobby bar and given our bracelets, we changed into our suits and to the pool we went. We met our daughter there that had arrived a few days before.
The beach was amazing and we rented jet ski's from the vendors in front of the hotel. Do not rent from them after giving them $100 to rent 2 jet ski's after 15 mins them came out pulled us in and accused us of damaging there jet ski's. and threaten to call the police. This is before we even got a room. We have rented jet ski's for 10yrs in cancun and never had this problem.

We got our room at 3pm and it was so nice. We had upgraded to a deluxe ocean view and it was wonderful. The balcony is great and big. So nice to sit in the morning and drink coffee and the evening to look out at the moon and sea. I had room service every morning they delivered a pot of coffee and my husband pepsi. Great service. The maids did a wonderful job of cleaning the rooms. We had a blow dryer and shampoo, bars of oatmeal soap and lotion. I loved the shampoo. But bring conditioner from home. The only thing I can say is that we had a little bugs on our bathroom counter. Bath towel were fine and the beds ok, we had two doubles. When you try to turn on the tv make sure you open the cabinet the box is in there. We thought it was broke. There is a room safe and iron and ironing board. We had room 536. The bad about the room was at night when people are screaming in the lobby bar you think they are in your room. It echo's very bad and at 3 am you can get kinda mad when you are trying to sleep, bring earplugs. My friend stayed in 305 and could not hear anything. She was on the other side. I think next time I would want to stay under the under the 16's for room number's.
The air conditioning kept the room really cool.

Food, it was amazing. Very Very good for all inclusive. Best I ever had. Mussel's at pier 12 great. We had filet at the old barn great, ribs great, baked potatoe great. Lunch in paradise a lot to choose from and wonderful. The breeze was good too. The japanese restaurant had great sushi.
Breakfast was pretty good.

Pool was nice, service was ok they have 1 girl that runs and waits on you all day. She did a good job for 1 person trying to get everyones orders. We like more entertainment at the pool. They played 2 volleyball games in the pool and a lot of beer pong in the pool. We have stayed at royal solaris over the years and like there enterainment at the pool much better. People did save chairs but there were plenty. The bar at the beach is nice. Hamock area is so nice to relax after dinner. Saturday night the have dinner and a party by the pool and it is a blast.

The drinks at the tiki bar are so so. Sometimes they are so strong you could not drink them. I had 1 inch of rum floating on my pina colada. yuck! The beer garden in the lobby was nice and the sixties bar was great to hang out and play pool. We saw the michael jackson show and it was very good. Worth going to see if you like Michael Jackson.

There are a few gift shops with most things you may need.
The spa prices are really high to me $110 for a hr massage, I can get it cheaper here at home.

This is a adults only and you can go topless and were thongs.

I guess my only complaint on this hotel is the noise at night with people in the lobby bar and the entertainment by the pool.
Would I go back? Probably.

Room Tip: Try to get rooms on the other end of the lobby bar. I think the are rooms lower in numbers. exampl...
4 Thank ESTHERW42
Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

We chose this resort because it is all inclusive and adult only. This resort won our group vote over Live Aqua because of the rave reviews about the entertainment. Golden totally delivers on entertainment. We had a blast! The Cinco De Mayo celebration out by the pool was such a great time and by far my favorite part of our trip. We traveled May 5-9 with family ages 20's-60's and all had a great time. As many,many reviews have stated...front desk staff are terrible and do not care about what room you have reserved!! We were given lagoon the first night but our ocean view rooms from then on. They simply do not care where you sleep. All the other staff work their booties off and were great! Everyone we met were friendly and we made lots of friends. We loved the Carnival Booze Cruise and Coco Bongos. Book your Coco Bongos outing with the entertainment staff.....it's the best deal! My first trip away from my young kiddos was a success. Mucho relaxation with a good mix of partying!

Room Tip: Ocean view seemed more updated and the view is so worth it!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family