“A Wonderful Place to Stay in Cancun”

JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Portland, OR
“A Wonderful Place to Stay in Cancun”
Reviewed 5 May 2012

My wife, my son and I spent 4 nights here, during our recent trip to Cancun. We chose the Club 91 option, which we think was well worth the extra cost. First of all, it included free airport transfers by private van. We were contacted by Club 91 staff prior to our arrival date and were asked to provide our flight arrival time. A hotel rep was waiting for us when we exited the airport and a van arrived a few minutes later. We had been told that we might have to share the van with other Marriott guests, but in our case we had the van to ourselves.

On arrival at the hotel, we were given cool towels and escorted to the Club Room on the 14th floor. Check-in there was handled smoothly by the staff, who also provide concierge services.

Club 91 also includes 6 meal/drink services a day: buffet breakfast, buffet lunch, afternoon tea, discovery hour, and evening open bar, and desert buffet. Discovery hour coincides with the open bar period and consists of small plate food selections from the hotel's restaurants. A different restaurant is featured each night, to introduce you to their offerings. Thus, it is possible to have all of one's meals in the Club Room, if you so choose. We always had breakfast and some evening cocktails, but we were often out and about during lunch and dinner.

Our room was wonderful. We had a suite with a large living/dining room, a large bedroom and one and one-half baths. We had an end unit with a large balcony off the living room (with a table and 4 chairs) and a smaller balcony off the bedroom. The views were magnificent. There was a sofa bed in the living room, but we chose to have a rollaway bed for my son and he was very happy with that option.

We arrived on April 21, after the spring break crowds had left. Thus, there were always plenty of palapas and lounge chairs available by the pool or on the beach. Also, there was no need for reservations at any of the hotel's restaurants. Although it did seem that those with reservations were given nicer tables than those without reservations.

All of the hotel staff were very friendly and helpful, including front desk, business center, pool staff, etc. As I said before, the Club 91 staff were especially helpful.

We had lunch twice at the Beachwalk restaurant and a wonderful dinner at Gustino's. I will provide detailed reviews in the Cancun Restaurants section of TripAdvisor.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the JW Marriott and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank Bluebirds277

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (998)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Chapel Hill, NC
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Check-in was quick and the room was huge. My king size bed was comfy and there was a loveseat, table and chairs in the room. I loved the bathroom because it had a door to separate the toilet from the rest of the oversized bathroom. There was also a lot of space for your toiletries. The food here is excellent! The breakfast buffett at the Sedona Grill had so much to choose from that I never ate the same thing for breakfast the four mornings I was there. American, Mexican and even Chinese food for breakfast?...incredible! We ordered room service twice and the hamburger late one night was decent and the small coffee early one morning was excellent. All rooms are oceanfront. The meeting rooms and restrooms are near the hotel elevators so there was never a long walk anywhere! The hotel gift shop prices are as pricey as I expected so be warned. The infinity pool was beautiful and the beach is spotless. There were several lounge chairs and coconut tree shaped huts (for shade) available on the property. The business center, near the elevator, will print boarding passes for free. For five american dollars, they let me check my email on their computer for 15 minutes. The Marriott Casa Magna hotel is connected to the JW Marriott. Their lobby was nice, but the JW Marriott is the newer, fancier hotel of the two. At the bottom of hotel's hill, to the right, is a public bus stop. Buses arrive about every 2 minutes and costs one American dollar each time you get on and off. When we saw a crowded bus, we just hopped on the next one. Many of the buses were filled with tourists, but most were Mexicans going to and from work in the hotel zone. The airport, Terminal 3, where we flew on American Airlines, is brand new with several U.S. restaurants to eat like Dominos pizza, Johnny Rockets, Bubba Gump Shrimp and Starbucks. We never got pesos when we were there....almost everyone took U.S. dollar bills.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Isky
Reviewed 1 May 2012

We were received at the airport by Prestige Travel which we paid 32.00 for. The ride to the hotel was very nice.

Once at the Hotel we were greeted by a door man and sent to the reception desk. This was much different than our JW experience in Miami when they knew who we were when we got out of the cab. This was more along the lines of a full service Marriott and not the JW.

I am Platinum with Marriott as I travel for business. Get ready because the JW in Cancun does not give you any upgrades or Platinum perks with the exception of 10% off in the gift shop. Believe me I asked.

Our room was beautiful and comfortable, with a great view of the pool and beach. The staff in the hall were exceptional. Don't try to walk down the hall with an ice bucket; it will immediately be snatched from your grasp and the staff will return to your room with it. Be sure to tip if you want this level of service to continue. They were great.

The pool and beach were awsome. We went across the street to buy some Bud Light as it was very expensive in the pool. They did not say a word except we were asked not to have the glass out and the staff brought us plastic cups. We were also buying drinks from the bar. Awesome Pin Coladas and Bushwackers. The Miami Vices were great too.

That night we went to the Habachi Japenese theme restaurant. Again service was great.

All in all prices on the resort were expensive. I spent first night in Cancun at the JW and the last night at the Marriott Casa Magna. We liked both but really liked the Casa Magna.

Room Tip: My room was great. I was in room 3024. Great view of pool and ocean. Oceaniew rooms have a great...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank RDickerson
Clements, California
Reviewed 30 April 2012

The JW Marriotts are the top tier resorts of the Marriott Hotels. JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa is a wonderful exemplar of the brand. It is elegant and beautiful and a terrific venue for a destination wedding.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank I-love-to-travel
atlanta
Reviewed 28 April 2012 via mobile

This is a very nice hotel, beautiful rooms, beautiful view, good restaurants.
Only downside were the ferocious waves in the beach which make it hard to swim.

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank avdvldnsor
Cohasset, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 April 2012

This hotel is confusing in its inconsistencies and thus I've taken several weeks to write a review. I agree with some of the negative reviews and yet also agree with many of those that are absolutely glowing. Here are my mixed experiences and observations from our week stay during mid-March, 2012:

1) Our reserved private shuttle booked through the JW wasn't there and we had to wait curbside for about 20 minutes. Our flight was on time, but there unusual delays for several flights getting through immigration. Still, in other trips using other shuttle services, the drivers/companies always managed to check on what was happening insidde with flights and adjust accordingly. The private shuttle wasn't worth the extra fee and was never discounted nor refunded.

2) The hotel itself is gorgeous. Fresh, beautiful floral arrangements, beautiful lobby, and spacious common areas. Stunning.

3) The pools are very nice. We particularly liked the adult pool, although it was icy cold and rather small. The lounge chairs at both pool areas however are in need of replacement. On the adult pool side, the restroom is down a stairway that was flooded at the bottom with a caution cone up every single day of our 10 day stay. The restrooms on the infinity pool side were dirty the two times we used it.

4) The room we stayed in was the highlight of our trip. We booked a grande ocean front suite. It was huge and beautiful. A separate bedroom with a very comfortable king sized bed and plenty of pillows available. A pullout sleep sofa in the main room. Two balconies with view of turquoise water & white surf over the adult pool. Gorgeous!!!

5) Like another guest whose review I read here, we had extreme difficulty getting the linens we needed to make up the sleeper sofa. The housekeeping staff would say they would do things that they never did. It was sometimes a language problem (we speak only a very little spanish) and other times it was possibly the fact that there is no evening housekeeping staff. It's not worth going into more detail but multiple requests, tips in advance, phone calls to the front desk, requests to hear from mgt,. were either ignored or never received. The simply took away the bedding in the mornings and never replaced it. We were often up later than we wanted to be trying to get the sleeper sofa made up for our college-aged daughter. It took 3 full days and an an absurd amount of efffort to get this resolved. They gave us a $70 (don't ask me why that amount -- I haven't a clue) discount on our room bill to compensate on a 7 night stay bill in an oceanfront grande suite. Hardly made me happy.

6) The restaurants are quite good. We were impressed with Gustino's! Outstanding service, beautiful ambience, and nice seafood dishes. We also liked Sedona Grille. One night we had some snapper that wasn't fresh. The chef came out and insisted on meeting us and making it right. We were so entertained and so much enjoyed discussing how he deals with local fish vendors that we cancelled another reservation and came back the next night. We also had brunch there which was very good. Cocktails and appetizers al fresco is fun too. Great times at the Sedona Grille. Hat's off to the chefs and servers at all of the restaurants. The cafe by the main pool is also great. Good service. Highly recommend the crab cakes. We also used the coffee shop every morning for cappucino and yogurt.

7) Service at the front desk is a problem. Every time of the three times I went to the front desk to complain that we didn't have linens for one of the beds, I heard at least one other guest complaining about "real" problems. It didn't seem that the staff was empowered to resolve anything. Had it not been for one of the front desk staff members, who finally realized our requests and complaints were not being addressed, caming to our rescue, Maribelle (lovely, highly professional and alert) -- we would have checked out that day.

8) The beach was amazing. Soft sand and much wider than we had anticipated. We swam every day as did many people right in front of the JW. It's controversial in terms of the safety of swimming during red flags -- but they are always red in our experience on other visits and you have to use your own judgement about the conditions. During this trip, the water was calmer than it had been during previous trips to hotels on the "7", and we felt comfortable with it -- yet adjusted our swimming habits based on our individual swimming strengths.

9) The spa and gym is incredible. Absolutely beautiful and not the least bit pretentious. A true highlight.

10) The overall service is deserving of the wide swing among some reviews. It seemed to us that the staff members are exceptionally hard working (even by local standards) and extremely busy. You'll never see anyone wasting time or sluffing off, yet neither will you catch many smiles or any laughter. They seem highly overworked and understaffed. Top management is probably the weak link. And thus, the wide swing in reviews when it comes to guest services.

Overall, I would go back because of the rooms and the restaurants. We put a high value on big and beautiful rooms with gorgeous views. I do, however, think I'd be tempted to try the Ritz before making a return visit to the JW. This hotel just isn't being maintained nor managed as a 5 star. At least not during our trip.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank Calibre57
Ann Arbor, MI
Reviewed 25 April 2012 via mobile

We stayed November, 2011. We were upsold on a room upon our arrival, without pressure I might add, and didn't regret it. What a room, in the tower, 270 degree view, 2 balconies, just gorgeous. The maid service in the room was fine. Beautiful room and view.

I will say the restaurant was wonderful, in fact, we had the best dinner in Cancun at this restaurant. This is the restaurant where they had the buffet breakfast (Sedona Grill, I highly recommend it, the waitstaff was wonderful). The steps in the restaurant are dangerous, I saw a few spills, be careful.

Now, things where they could improve:

1. Coffee service. No free coffee in the morning. I can stay at the Fairfield and get free coffee, but not here. Sees a bit odd to me. I pay 3x the price for a room, yet pay for coffee. Hmmm...

2. Internet service. See my comments above. Free Internet at any other Marriott property ( U.S.) but not here. This is simply a money grab, join the wireless generation please and serve your customers.

3. Pool service. A beautiful pool. A lovely property. The service around the pool was slow, ask them for a food menu, they will never ask you if you want anything. Just seems odd to me, especially since it's not an all inclusive, the higher the bill, the higher the tip. There was also a person whose job it was to stand around at the bar, even though they were dressed in waitstaff uniform. They seemed to add no value, especially since you couldn't get any food if you wanted it and didn't help deliver drinks.

Overall, it was a nice property. Just a few recommendations for improvement. I would go back however.

Stayed November 2011