“Excellent Value & Service”

CasaMagna Marriott Cancun Resort
Ranked #16 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Belchertown, Massachusetts
“Excellent Value & Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

Stayed 6 nights early March with my sister. Booked through Marriott site and our rate included the breakfast buffet plus 20% off restaurants and spa. We were upgraded to OceanView with balcony for free. We booked airport/hotel transportation through Marriott which was efficient and quick.

I was very impressed with the service and cleanliness; these are the two areas most important for me. We had 2 beds and more than enough room to move around. Everything in the room worked and our requests (additional lotion, towels, kleenex) were met immediately. Accommodations were comfortable and nicely decorated. We were on the 6th floor and did not encounter any noise.

The breakfast buffet was outstanding. Everything was fresh and we were not rushed. We ate at Champions one night and couldn't finish because the portions were so large (although I'm not a really big eater). The portions at the pool were also very large (shrimp, burgers, sandwiches). We ate dinner 2 nights at the LaCapilla Steakhouse. The steak and pork chop dinners and dessert were great. Another night I ordered fettucini and didn't care for it. But this is a matter of taste. We also ordered Empanadas as an appetizer and when we didn't care for the taste and left it, it was taken off our bill without asking. We also ordered room service one evening and the server flipped up the table sides in between the beds so we didn't have to move. Aah... loved being spoiled.

I agree with some other postings that this is not a place if you want a lot of activity. It's fairly quiet and I don't think the spring breakers stay here. But we were there for relaxation and not partying.

The beach area and pool are well kept with plenty of seating and the service was very good. They have outdoor showers with warm water to clean off the sand. The interior and exterior grounds were well maintained.

Everyone was friendly and helpful and went above and beyond to make our stay relaxing. Definitely recommend the CasaMagna.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (925)
  • Hebrew first
Folsom, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

This was the first of two Marriott properties we choose for our Anniversary trip. We scheduled a side trip (overnight) to Chichen Itza that "broke-up" our Cancun experience. So this was our first property. They failed to recognize our Gold Membership status, second time at the CasaMagna Franchise in Mexico. The prior year, the same issue in Puerto Vallarta. So we had marginal service at check-in, no extras and the property is very standard. No in room coffee, room was somewhat tight/small. Fixtures and furnishings were tired. Our room had a good view and we enjoyed the benefit of shade, being on the north facing side of the tower in February. Again, like the J.W., no lounge access. We are now more aware of the CasaMagna level of property, service and prices, so well be more careful on our expectations in the future. Finally, we had numerous charges on our bill for internet, hundreds of dollars, they failed to properly register our Gold status and we got charges @ check-out, shame on us for again, assuming that Marriott would properly manage and handle, luckily, when I was reviewing later in the week (staying @ the J.W. next door) my charges on-line it was very disappointing to see the error. I couldn't even get a clarified statement from the Front Desk. Still awaiting resolution...ouch!

Room Tip: Don't get an east facing room, too much direct sun. Best bet is a north facing room to avoid af...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank youbake
North East, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

Hotel wasn't the best resort we've stayed it, but we took our kids this time and it was nice. Could use some updating. Very disappointed we had to pay for internet $15 a day! I feel the price of the resort should have included wireless internet. The breakfast buffet was outstanding! One of the best we've had, and we've traveled quite a bit. We had great service from the hotel staff, no complaints there. Beds were just ok. Again, could use some updating. Hotel gift shop did not accept US dollars, which isn't really expected since you are in Mexico, but almost everywhere else did. Even the souvenier shops in the mall took US Dollars and converted it for you. Inconvenient when you are just looking for a drink and you haven't exchanged any money. Ended up just charging it to the room. Pool was very crowded, we chose the beach due to being crammed into chairs next to the pool. Food by the pool was very good. Hotel is not luxurious, but was adequate for a last minute trip with the kids (11 & 16). A lot of families here if you are a couple and are looking for something quieter, do not stay here. Plus side, did not see any spring breakers at this hotel. Good family atmosphere.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the pool and had a beach view, was considered a "premium beach view."...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Cindy B
Lakeside, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

I was here on a business trip and extended my stay so overall was here for 8 days. The hotel staff were very professional and friendly, the concierge was wonderful finding and making a Dr's appointment for me as soon as I got there. The bed was extremely comfortable which was good news as I suffer from horrendous back problems. The overall layout of the hotel was very beautiful, pool and beach exquisite. The breakfast buffet was one of the best I've ever had. On the downside,this hotel nickels and dimes you to death. Everything was too overpriced. I had problems with the toilet on day 1 and they came to fix it, but after 3 attempts at telling them, it was never completely fixed. My card key also gave me a multitude of problems. They must have given me 15 card keys as each time I went back to my room from the gym, it never worked, They make me think it was my fault. The lamp on the dresser didn't work. The couch and chairs in the lobby were the strangest most uncomfortable things to sit on as they were made for giants or for people with longgggggg legs! I used the gym daily and it was never really that cool. After going into town for my appointment and seeing where everything was, I would have preferred a hotel closer to downtown as this hotel was halfway down the strip and not really close to anything. And finally, upon checking out, I was quite upset that I was not given the rate I was promised when I checked in. The hotel manager only partially accommodated me and I was not happy as a result.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Jetskijo
Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

There's a ton of beach front hotels in Cancun to choose from and I'm wary of some Marriott resorts that haven't been renovated yet. This one though was great, got a super rate that included the buffet breakfast which was amazing in itself.

I couldn't tell if the room I was in was one of the renovated ones or not but it was a decent size, not huge, balcony overlooking the pool and beach.

They do provide an airport shuttle but you have to pay for it and sometimes have to wait on the other people from your flight it is picking up.

Room Tip: Ask for pool/ocean view
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank fsview11
Spokane, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

Great Service throughout this hotel. Ate at Champions a couple of times and the food was very good and there was lots of it. Upgrade to an oceanview if you have a garden view. Be aware: this is a resort and food, drinks and the gift shop prices are as high or higher than you would pay in the US. We ate off property most of the time because there is so much difference in pricing. Cancun is not cheap like other places in Mexico, expect prices to be similar to home, even in the grocery stores. Heard the Breakfast Buffet was great but didn't try it at $280 pesos ($23 USD), $50 bucks for two for breakfast is crazy. Pool was great and service is fast, hotel is clean, staff super friendly. I will stay here again. Went to the Grand Oasis to visit friends and it looked like an MTV beach party with a ton of drunk college kids. Would have been fun 20 years ago! None of that going on at the Marriott.

Room Tip: We had an excellent 3rd floor room. It looks like only the 3rd floor has the larger balconies. Ours...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Auburn, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

Stayed here in late Feb. 2012. Upon arrival the lobby is very grand and impressive. We were early and our room wasn't ready upon check-in at 10AM. We did get a key at 2pm. We had a garden view room on the bottom floor. It had a patio that looked at the JW Marriott next door and a small ocean view as well. The room size was a typical Marriott room. The front door looked right at the pool and Caribbean blue ocean.

Pool service was prompt, we ate 1 meal at the pool at it was ok. The cocktails were a little bland so we stuck with local beers. The pool and beach are fantastic, clean and not over crowded.

We did not eat at any restaurants in the hotel so no comment there. The concierge did a great job with ideas and advice on local food and transportation.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple