“The best of the Palace Resorts!”
Review of Moon Palace Cancun

Moon Palace Cancun
Ranked #22 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Rockville, Maryland, United States
“The best of the Palace Resorts!”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

My family goes to Cancun every year to get together. My parents are members here and my favorite of all the Palace resorts is the Moon. I have stayed in all the parts (Nizuc, Sunrise, and the Grand). My favorite is the Grand. I got back from our latest trip 2 days ago and although we stayed in Nizuc, we visited the Grand for the pools, taco bar, and the restaurant. (By the way, the main sit down restaurant in the Grand is the best. The best service we have ever had was on this latest trip by the waiter, Omar. My daughter (7) is still talking about how nice Omar is! He went above and beyond for my family and I and made this fun vacation even more memorable and fantastic! Mario was also another great waiter there who made our dinner experience feel special) While other resorts we have had to deal with spring-breakers, loud partying, or sloppy service, we are never disappointed by the Moon Palace staff. I have been there 4 times now and plan to return next year. Everything from our maid, Esperanza, , to Gloria who did a super mani/pedi for my little girl and made her laugh, was excellent. It is a big resort which some people may not like, but it is actually 3 resorts in one with many many options for food, activities, and many pools to chose from. There are small quiet pools, big ones with music and activities, and everything in between. I would recommend this resort to anyone! (well, except the Spring-breakers since I enjoy the peace and quiet of the natural setting here!)

Room Tip: All the rooms I have stayed in are good. The resort is spread out so you some require more walking t...
2 Thank Kristin T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6,069)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Au Train, Michigan
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Very large resort with lots to do. Always some kind of food or buffet was being presented. The nightly shows were entertaining and we went to them at both Nizuc and Sunrise. Both my husband and daughter (age16) went to the spa on our resort credits. The ONLY major drawback was the solicitation for time shares for the first two days. After being adamant that we were not interested, it was much easier to "turn" in the resort credits. If you are a meat eater-Arricefes is a good place to eat....a good experience and fun. The Mexican restaurant Los Corporalas was also great. Easy to use the catamarans and kayaks whenever you want.

1 Thank UpperMichiganNomad
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Customer service and employees were great. Never standing there with their hand out expecting a tip, although we did tip. We arrived at 12p, our room was not ready but we were able to head to the buffet for lunch and lay by the pool. My room was in the Sunrise area, with a partial ocean view. Room was nice and included a jacuzzi that seemed to be bigger than the bed. Fridge was stocked daily with fresh pop and water. What I mean by fresh is that the pop had not yet expired. (ive been to places that had given us old pop) and alcohol dispensers with 4 bottles. Bathroom contained soap, gel, shampoo & conditioner, sewing kit and hair dyer. As for the noise at night, maybe once or twice a night I heard people talking as they walk down the halls but I am assuming since the floors are marble and walls are stucco, voices carry. No biggie. The resort itself is mighty big, I only brought 2 pair of sandals, should have brought a pair of tennis shoes also.

Spent one day at each area of the resort:
Sunrise- this was the busiest area for pool lounging and buffets. Pool is in need of cleaning and maintenance. Alot of garbage and "stuff" floating near the edges, tiles broken, etc. I did see one employee cleaning the pool with a net, but it is so large that more than one employee is needed for upkeep. Never had a problem finding a chair and we didn't make it out until 10am. YES people throw towels on chairs to save them, but even at 10am we were able to find chairs to get the best sun. Buffet was just that...buffet. I travel once a year and this buffet was comparable to any other. Ate at the oriental and steakhouse restaurants, those were ok...just a break from the buffet. Arrived right when they opened @ 6p, didn't have a problem waiting in a line and never did see a line form while we were there.

Nizuc-Much calmer scenery, less people, pool a little cleaner and buffets were no different than in Sunrise.

Grand-Definitely a few steps above the Nizuc and Sunrise and just over all a better look as it is the newest part of the resort. Took advantage of it since we were allowed to travel anywhere in the resort. Comfy lounge chairs, clean pool, buffet was the same as the others, just in a fresher environment.
Getting drinks by any pool was no problem at all.
Did not take advantage of resort credits, just kindly said no to it all, wasn't interested. At the end of the "resort credit" talk, they did try to get us to come back the next day for a resort tour, but we firmly repeated no until they got the hint. The front desk does direct you to see the people lined up at the desks to explain things and that it will only take 5 minutes. It really will last only 5 minutes, but you are in control of the convo so if you don't want to hear about it, just say no.
Beach-I am not a beach person, so the seaweed didn't ruin my trip. But it seemed to be never ending from sun up to sun down machinery up and down the beach cleaning it. It was hard to get a picture of the beach without a dump truck in the shot. If you are a beach lover and like frolicking in the waves, this is not the place for you. Yes, I know the seaweed won't kill you, but it's just not inviting. Only saw a handful of people in the ocean the entire time and that was out on the sand bar. I've seen others mention that you can take the shuttle to Beach Palace, which is actually known for their beach. This place is known for it's golf course, and I do not play.
Misc info:
1) there are a couple of different stands around the pools where you can paint white ceramic souvenirs, leave them overnight and have them glazed. Prices seem to range $10 on up.
2) our room included free calls to the united states and canada...we took advantage of that!
3) wireless internet is free. Morning and afternoon were best in our room (sunrise). Trying to play scrabble by the pool was sketchy. Best area for wireless was only by the Sunrise pool. Go to far from the Sunrise pool and your wireless is out of range.
4)used USA Transfers for transportation to and from the airport. $55 round trip between airport and resort. They were on-time, kind and efficient. Just made reservations on line, did not have to pay any $ until we met up with the driver.

Room Tip: I do not know what to suggest, but we stayed in the Sunrise area and our room was described as delux...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Beaufort
Reviewed 9 April 2012

This is the perfect resort for those who love to get up early and have to reserve a spot at the pool. Those who come later end up not being able to find any where to sit. After one gets their place and is sitting and hoping to enjoy peace and quiet, they find out their next door neighbor is a cigar smoker. UGH! Most meals are buffets and can range from inedible to excellant. One has to guess whether that dish is going to be an excellant meal or not. At least you can go back for another dish. The employees are very good at service, especially Santos, (serviced us at breakfast at Nizuc), Emilie, our maid at Moon Palace Grand and Senor Huchem, our waitor one day at lunch at Los Tacos. Noisy, music playing loudly though. Best part was our balcony, overlooking the ocean. Beautiful up there away from noise and other people smoking cigars. My husband and decided to listen to the spiel of the membership. Alexandro was a good salesman and very polite and we enjoyed his "speech". But it was all ruined by Jack, his manager who came over to encourage us to buy. He was condescending to me, the wife, and quite rude , in my opinion. Sorry, Alexandro. It wasn't your fault. Our room was nicely appointed. Place was clean but I noticed glasses stood empty for days next to pool and trash on beach. It was quite far from anything really so one has to stay on the premises except bus trips that are arranged. No sense of Mexico at all.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank k2p2
london ont
Reviewed 9 April 2012

we visited resort from mar 31 to apr 07. resort was very busy. wheather was great, food was superb and beer was cold what more could you ask for? was our 6th or 7th time at this resort and 3rd time bringing someone with us.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank tequila4steve
Sacramento, California

THIS IS A LONG REVIEW -

Just returned from a family vacation (3-30 to 4-6-12) with my wife and 6 and 8 year olds. We stayed on the Nizuc side in the Maguay wing. The communication between employees and the process to get things done needs improvement, otherwise - it's still a great place to visit.

BEWARE - YOU MAY BE TRANSFERED TO ANOTHER RESORT IF OVERBOOKED. Guest Services will make an effort to make it right - but you're hosed once you're there and the employees do not have the authority or the power to make things 100% right. You may end up with two rooms instead of a Presidential Suite and it may not have an Ocena View - but keep calm and keep asking for more perks, credits and a free week or two depending on the extent of the screw up - they will try - but remember YOU ARE THERE AND REALLY CAN'T LEAVE - so they've got you.

The resort is showing some wear and tear, but I heard there are plans to put some money into renovations - some of which can be seen on the back side of the Nizuc Lobby.

The transportation to and from the airport - which is included with the Premier Membership or the weeks they arrange - could not have been better. Friendly, fast and very helpful. Also included in the Premier Members weeks is the use of on-line reservations for golf and spa, eliminating the complaint that no times are available so the credits are useless. THEY ARE NOT IF YOU DO YOUR PART. My wife got 2 treatments and I played 4 rounds of golf and took a group lesson all with credits and at the times we requested.

The check in was smooth - although the main reservation center made a few promises the resort could not accomodate. Nothing really big - just fustrating. OH - PAYMENTS ARE MADE TO MEXICO CITY NOW SO THERE WILL BE INTERNATIONAL CHARGES TO YOUR CREDIT CARD - that was not explained - so ASK TO PAY BY CHECK DRAFT to avoid the fees.

The rooms are clean and house keeping does a great job - be sure to give your attendant a few dollars for the week - I bet it's more than she makes.

The kids club is EXCELLENT. So are the Brazian Restaurant, in the Nizuc lobby - Bambu - La Trattoria at the Golf complex - the Asian Restaurant and everyday buffet in the Sunrise Lobby.

Didn't get to the Grand Lobby or the outdoor restaurants - but heard they were good too.

It must have been because of Spring Break and the high occupancy - I didn't think it was nearly as occupied as they said - but the mini-frig service was the weakest part of the trip.

The Wet and Wild experience is great for the family - but 4 hours is enough.

The SeeSub tour is OK - but Guest Services doesn't alway tell you there is a $7.50 per person fee (for the Reef Preservation Fund?) that needs to be paid at the tour location in Cancun. Lucky, we brought enough to cover the taxi fare to and from and the fee - otherwise it would have been $60 round trip and no SeeSub - so ALWAYS ASK if there are other fees.

No problems with thief - but we used the safe for all our valuables ALL the time.

I was asked to go to a "Members Update" - told them no and there was no hassle afterwards and the service did not change just because I didn't attend. As a matter of fact - I left my wallet in a cab and Guest Services went out of their way to get it back for me - YES, I got it back - but it cost cab fare for the cab driver to return it and it may - I'm not 100% sure - have come back a little lighter on the cash that was inside. Still nice to get it back the same day.

We will be back in November and will stay at one of the Golf Villas this time and will report back.

Room Tip: Third floor rooms are very quite but you do have to go up stairs - almost every room has an ocean vi...
5 Thank CaptDick9977
Guatemala City, Guatemala
Reviewed 9 April 2012

The Food was horrible, the beach terrible full of algae, Water dropped from the air conditioner, two of my party got stomach sick, it was over booked... bad service...
Please don't make the mistake we deed, go somewhere else is definitely not 5 five star!!

Room Tip: Go to the Grand not to Nizuc or Sunrise
9 Thank monaaviles01
NormaGranados, Public Relations Manager at Moon Palace Cancun, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
We are very much concerned with the inconveniences you brought to our attention. It is very important that we find the resolution to these unpleasant experiences and ensure that nothing of it is repeated with any of our guests. Please contact us at customerservice@palaceresorts.com. We will be contacting you shortly as I am certain that we can remedy the situation and make the necessary improvement in our services, which are meant to make every vacation much more enjoyable rather then disappointing. Norma
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
19.1 km away
29.3 km away
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Moon Palace Cancun? Share your experiences!