“Superb!”

Paradisus Cancun
Ranked #25 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 January 2013

We stay at the hotel and also celebrated Michelle & Scott weeding: 70 people attended, all comments were geat, either about the beauty of the hotel, the service and attention, food, pool, spa, great attention. Congratulations!

6  Thank Miguelhigareda
PDCR, Quality Department at Paradisus Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2013

Dear Mr. Miguelhigareda

We feel very grateful for such nice comments regarding your amazing stay with us. Achieve or go beyond our guests expectations are our principal goal. It is so comforting knows that all our effort was well worth it.

Thank you once again for gives us the opportunity to host your family and friends, and it will be a pleasure having all of you in Paradisus Cancún Resort soon.

Sincerely

Write a ReviewReviews (10,061)

Reviewed 5 January 2013

The hotel was beautiful, inside and out. The Lobby transported you to an organic spirit. The 3 daily buffets served a tremendous amount of food with many choices. We really enjoyed the poolside food service and the outdoor BBQ. Burgers were the BEST I have ever eaten! The high end restaurants were fantastic and romantic. Food was delicious and the service was nothing short of 6 star quality. The beach and pool areas were clean and well maintained.the staff was always very friendly,attentive and helpful. The hotel was under construction when we arrived. Unfortunately our tour operator did not inform us of this. I had asked to speak with the Manager who was very accommodating by upgrading us to a lovely ocean view room where we woke up to a stunning sunrise every morning to start our day in paradise. I am in the hospitality and development industry, therefor I can appreciate the betterment of the hotel for future enjoyment. It is impossible to upgrade a hotel and be shut down simultaneously. The loss of revenue would enable the progress and conversion of the hotel. Now how happy would travelers be if that were to happen? They wouldn't be. In mine and my sisters opinion it did not interfere with our relaxation. Construction time frames were respectful of daily events and guests. A special mention to the Site/project manager he was an extreme gentleman and took special care of everyone he encountered. Hats off to him and his team! I have been sharing my positive experience with everyone I know and referring them to Paradisus (Formerly Gran Melia). I know from our direct experience with this wonderful hotel that they would not be disappointed and I personally look forward to returning in the future!

Room Tip: To each their own for what suite type would be the most suitable both financially and how many peopl...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Jackie L

Dear Mrs. Jackie L

We have a strong commitment with all our guests and we always effort to achieve their satisfaction.

Paradisus Cancún Resort is very pleased to know that you enjoy your stay with us. Thank you for your positive review !!!

We hope to have you once again with us.

Cordially

Reviewed 5 January 2013 via mobile

My wife and I decided at the last minute to take an Xmas break vacation so our options were limited. From the airport we were told by the taxi driver that it was no longer called the Melia anymore but on the website it still goes by that name so it's kinda Deceptive. Once we arrived our room wasn't ready which is really the norm these days unless u get lucky so that was no biggie.. We were all-inclusive so we went to eat at the buffet and it was pretty good, the variety of meats and cheeses were decent along with the sides but the desserts weren't really were they should be but overall it's was ok.. We ate there a lot because we could walk right in and be seated. We also ate at the Mexican restaurant my wife didnt care for it but I thought it was ok on the outside its a restaurant called the grill where most of the food was cooked right on the spot, burgers,dogs and pasta with a nice salad bar . We didnt managed to eat at the higher end restaurant because that's not 100% inclusive which is strange but whatever our Excursions kept us busy.. The pool and beach were great we laid on the beach for hours and never hit the pool. The nightlife is pretty cool if your into it if not get a room farther away from the center.. The rooms were so-so the 1st thing I notice entering the rooms were the doors there kinda flimsy and they don't seem Sturdy at all. Once inside it was pretty cool, nice little couch for seating and cocktail table even though there was a chipped Glass on top so potential to cut yourself the bed was cool and the view was a garden view. Headed to the bathroom you have to step up to enter it so if u forget it leaving out you might twist your ankle especially at night with the lights off.. I couldnt understand how the knobs worked on the shower kinda confusing but its a waterfall faucet so it's pretty cool but the plaster around it needs to be sanded and repainted. Overall I had a pretty good experience at the Melia oops I mean Paradius Cancun I've never had all inclusive so being my 1st time I wasnt sure what to expect... But you always remember your 1st!!!!

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank MotorCityDude
Reviewed 4 January 2013

Hotel is certainly one of the nicer hotels in the area and one of the better known. It was previously the grand melia and people still know it by that name.

Pros:

1) Great facility grounds with an amazing lobby area. Has four? pyramids with most all rooms having full or partial ocean views.
2) nice pool and pool bar
3) great performances at the lobby bar area
4) lots of dining options

Cons:
1) service was very hit or miss. We were here for 8 days and visited every restaurant. Of these restaurants 5 had servers who could care less about what we ordered and providing any level of service. Granted they generally don't get tipped much on average (given the large portion of European tourists who are not accustomed to it) it was disheartening to see such apathetic people.

One MAJOR exception was Alberto Cortes who was our server on 2 nights at Mole restaurant. Alberto was phenomenal. His English was the best we had heard at the resort and he never disappointed with food or drink recommendations. Coming from New York with restaurants that that've phenomenal service, Alberto was a welcome difference from most others at the resort.

2) towel service requires a card! Ridiculous
3) restaurants require a full reservation. Not that big a deal but inconvenient if you forget to make one.
4) golf course could be nicer

All in all a good place for both singles looking to hang out as well as families with children (lots of scheduled activities). Will head back.

• Stayed: December 2012
4  Thank Mjb249
Reviewed 4 January 2013

What a terrible experience! Upon our arrival, after 2 hours to check-in and a very tired baby, we are informed that the promotion we booked with EXPEDIA was actually a little booklet with some louzy coupons. The reason we booked this hotel was because we would get a $200 dollar hotel credit, that we thought we could use to buy food, go to the spa, etc.

After that, the hostess kindly take us to our rooms and tell us that the first morning breakfast was free. We happily get to the NAOS restaurant the following morning and look like complete idiots when informed that there was no free breakfast, but a charge of 35 dollars per person for a crappy buffet.

We came with our daughter who wakes up early, so we were always the first ones to get to the pool in the morning. Let me tell you that there were no chairs available to use, they were all marked with towels/books/sun lotion. We found out that there was a "mafia" of people who pretended to be guests, who actually worked at the hotel for tips to get you a chair. Ridiculous! These people will do anything to get your money!

I felt unsave the whole time. Now reading some of the reviews I consider my family lucky because we didn't get robbed.

The hotel is beautiful, it looks like a 5 star hotel but has a 1 star service. The food SUCKS. Service the worst I have ever experienced. I had to ask for shampoo, soap, new towels EVERY SINGLE DAY.

The bathroom smelled like sewage and I had to call several times to get someone in maintenance to take a look. The guy arrives at the room with some scented bleach and tried to cover the problem.

I would NOT recommend this hotel to my worst enemy!!!!!

14  Thank sabetudobrasa
PDCR, Quality Department at Paradisus Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2013

Dear Sabetudobrasa,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at the Paradisus Cancún Resort. We are, however, very disappointed to hear of the challenges you endured while you were here. We take all comments and criticisms seriously and appreciate the time you took to provide your feedback.

Everyone at the Paradisus Cancún aspires to ensure that all of our guests receive an exceptional experience and regret that we did not achieve this goal.

Your review has been shared with our Management Team so that we can improve in the key areas mentioned in your review so that we can continue to maintain the high level of service we are known to provide.

Regards

Reviewed 4 January 2013

My stay involved myself, wife, 18 year old daughter and her friend, in 2 rooms. It was all inclusive with Royal Service. First of all if, you are any kind of sophisticated traveller and can afford it, Royal is the way to go, but they do not allow children under 18 so there is that requirement which is part of the benefit if you are so inclined. We were in building 5 ( lagoon view) which is the Royal building with its own concierge. The staff were extremely friendly, efficient and attentive. As with any hospitality situation in Mexico it goes a long way if you can or at least try to speak even high school spanish. These are very warm people after all and they appreciate the effort you make to treat them with respect.

I have read many negative reviews here and it appears that the renovations made to pretty much all the restaurants as part of the changeover to Paradisus was the problem. Since our stay began 12/27 for 7 nights fortunately most of the heavy work was done. There was no noise, very few workers and they were doing mostly finishing work. In that regard, I would strongly suggest to the hotel that ALL the restaurant windows, both interior and exterior, be cleaned thoroughly as they are appear to have not been done so since the renovations. A positive is that there are 5 restaurants that serve only a la carte, in that they do not offer buffets. This is in addition to Naos which is the all buffet restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner not associated with, but available to Royal guests. Over all the food is average to better than average depending on the restaurant. Tempo is definitely the top of the line and can compete in any US city for fine dinning. Presently it has a tasting menu with 7 courses. The maitre d informed us that in several weeks there will be a change to a full menu service. Reservations in all a la cart restaurants are recommended, even before arriving via email to the hotel, especially in peak weeks.

The Royal guests have their own private pool area with out door bar, restaurant and waiter service in the pool area and on the beach. This is in addition to an indoor lounge area that is open for a lighter breakfast and for pre-dinner cocktails and snacks.

Now for a few areas that need improvement. The Naos buffet is nowhere near the quality to be expected for this hotel. Nothing looks terribly appetizing nor very creative in its layout. But if you looking for quantity and have kids, this can work for you.
The absence of a true "seafood" restaurant, given the location on the beach seems to be a minus. Strangely, there is a "meat carnival" known by many different names around the country where various meats such as beef, lamb, chicken, sausage, pork and turkey are brought out on skewers in a restaurant called "The Market Grill". For me, this just didn't seem to work in such a locale as this.

The gym is well below adequate. It is much too small for the size of the hotel. With only 2 treadmills, there is never enough equipment available. (On my last day 2 more were added)
We did not use the SPA but were given a tour and it seems to be top of the line in the services it offers.

Lastly, I would like to see a private, fine dinning restaurant for Royal Service. Personally, I am somewhat fussy about having young children nearby when dinning in a resort. The only way around this is to make late reservations at the Paradisus and that is not a guarantee.

So, to summarize, this was a great way to spend the year end holiday with the family. The beachfront in the Cancun hotel zone is among the best I have ever seen. The weather is very comfortable. There are many hotels in the zone and I am sure many are as good as or even better than Paradisus; there are probably some that are worse. That's the way it goes. Ultimately its what we make of it and how we deal with the occasional glitches that always seem to come up on vacation. The important thing is that we are usually with people we love.

Room Tip: Stay out of the main building. The music at night is loud and it rises up the pyramid
4  Thank DCTransient
Reviewed 4 January 2013

I was there with my wife and 2 kids for Christmas and New Year 2012. We stayed a total of 10 nights. We had an all-inclusive package. We only have great things to say about our stay. From the greeters at the door, to the waiter on the beach, everyone was very proffessional and very helpful. Our check-in process was seemless. Our rooms were always comfortable, tidy, and clean. The breakfast and lunch buffets were very good, althought at times, the variety of dishes suffered from the hotel being fully booked at this time of the year. The beach was fantastic as usual. We would have appreciated some heated pools for the kids in december, but I guess it is Cancun after all, and it's hot most of the year. The kids club was very entertaining to our children, and gave me and my wife quite a bit of alone relaxing time. I used the Spa facilities, including the warmed hydrotherapy pool, the sauna, and the vapor room. They were all excellent, and the staff was very attentive.
The New Year party was excellent, they had a DJ from NYC, and he kept the night very alive. The dinner before the party was standard, but the wine was excellent.
Overall we had a great time, and we were very impressed by the attentive staff that eventually came to know us by name. We would defenitelty go again.