“Nice time, but wouldn't come again.”
Review of Paradisus Cancun

Paradisus Cancun
Ranked #25 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 29 July 2017

I've visited the Paradisus in Punta Cana before so I definitely had certain expectations. This resort exceeded my expectations!! It is GORGEOUS, and you can tell that they put a lot of thought into their decorations and design of the hotel. It is also huge. There's 5 pyramids in the whole hotel, the lobby is in the 3rd pyramid. This is where my sister and I stayed, which was good because it was remotely close to everything. We had an ocean view room and we requested a room on a high floor, since we didn't want to be close to the pool area or the lobby area at night since we wanted to be able to sleep.

When we first entered our room, we were stunned by the beauty of it! The balcony is HUGE and gives you a beautiful view of the ocean and the pool area.

The only con about the room was the door that connected to the next room. We called the front desk and requested that someone come up and lock the connecting room so that it wouldn't be able to be accessed by the family in the next room. They assured us they would and we waited and waited for someone to come up. Maintenance finally came and told us that there wasn't a key to lock the door and they weren't sure why the front desk told us they would lock it. (Lack of staff communication) We explained our safety concerns to the maintenance worker, and he understood and told us that the only safe option he recommended was for us to change our room. We were super annoyed because we had already settled in and unpacked and loved our room! We headed to the front desk to change it and they didn't have a room until the next day. So we headed back up to the room and a few minutes later, maintenance was knocking at the door and told us that they would replace THE WHOLE LOCK for us so we could lock it ourselves and be safe!!! We wanted to cry we were so happy! I loved how accommodating he was and assured us that we would be safe. Thanks Andres!!!!

This hotel isn't for people who are strict about air conditioning. There are definitely cooler areas in the hotel, but there isn't actual air conditioning until you get back into your room, which we didn't mind since we were used to this at Paradisus Punta Cana.

Also, their entertainment is lacking. We came on vacation to relax, yes, but we're also in our 20s so we wanted to have some measure of fun. They don't have a specific area or room for shows; just the stairs by the pool and it's really uncomfortable to sit there, especially for 2 hours at night.

THE FOOD IS DELICIOUS!! There's an array of restaurants to choose from, and all of the food is great! Vento was our favorite!! The only annoying part was having to make a reservation for each restaurant a day in advance because of the crowds - we traveled in late July.)

The part that really bothered us was the segregation of Royal and non-Royal service. We paid a lot of money to stay at this hotel, and Expedia did not offer the Royal Service option to us. Therefore, we weren't even aware it was available. Considering we paid so much for our stay, we assumed it would just be a frivolous extra. Boy were we wrong! At other resorts, we weren't really able to distinguish between Royal Service and regular guests. It was mainly the quality of the rooms and the discounted spa packages that they received. However, this ENTIRE RESORT is segregated. Regular resort guests and Royal Service guests almost never interact. There was a separate beach, separate check-in, separate pool, separate bar. One waiter was even instructed not to give us water bottles unless we were Royal Service. It was ridiculous, and made us feel like our money wasn't worth the same as the regular guests.

There were several people that made our stay great!

Andres in maintenance, Telma & Magaly in Housekeeping, and Benito the waiter. Thanks guys!!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor. We stayed on 8 and had a great view
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Becca R
Ricardo R, Gerente at Paradisus Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2017

Dear Becca R

Thank you for your comments. We regret that your travel agency has not helped you with the information that I am sure will change the perspective you had of our hotel. I want you to know that one of the attributes most appreciated by the hundreds of travelers who use the accommodation is the Royal Service. This is an exclusive area for guests seeking relaxation and high standards of quality and personalized service. That is why it is separated from the rest of the hotel, all in order to maintain this atmosphere.
We are very sorry that your stay has ups and downs but I can assure you that these comments will be shared with the different departments to implement improvements that bring benefits in a very short time.
Please accept my most cordial invitation to stay with us in the future so that you can see for yourself the great improvements we have for you.

Hotel manager

Write a ReviewReviews (10,028)

Reviewed 29 July 2017

This review is more than a year old. All of a sudden I caught the TripAdvisor review bug.

Anyway, I'm going to keep this short...My wife and I got married here in July of 2016 (even though they only allowed me to pick August 2016) with 80 of our loved ones and it was perfect. I can't find anything to complain about. The Welcome BBQ was perfect. I just plugged in my playlist and the rest was history. Eating, dancing, and drinking on the beach for 3 hours! Our wedding also took place on the beach and although the sun was aggressive, our guests weren't affected by it. It was setting anyway, which put more of our young guests at ease. Our reception took place by the Royal Service Pool. It was also perfect and amazing!!!!!!! This was the best trip for our family and friends, especially my wife and I who have this amazing memory to take with us for a lifetime. Thank you Paradisus Cancun!!

There's so much more to write, but I don't want to be the one with the longest review lol.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
Ricardo R, Gerente at Paradisus Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2017

Dear Jay H

We are glad to know that your holiday with us was a success. I take this moment to thank you for the time invested in sharing with us your most recent experience.
We hope that in the future you will give us the opportunity to surprise you again and let you consent to our team.
Please do not hesitate to contact us for any information on your next trip to Cancun.

Reviewed 29 July 2017 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here and were pleasantly surprised with the property. The staff is very friendly and would greet us with a smile from the front office to the maids to the facility workers. The beach is an absolute paradise. Our room was lovely. Modern, updated and clean. We especially loved sitting out on own private balcony taking in the breath taking beachfront views. The sunrises were the most spectacular to watch. The food was also a vast improvement from other places we've stayed at. Not all of the restaurants were great but their buffet is where you will find the best food options. The only thing I wasn't thrilled with was the dress code, which is totally fine with us but no one ever told us about it. There was one night in particular where the waiters told us that flip flops and t-shirts weren't acceptable. We had to go back to our room change and then come back down to eat. Again, we were totally okay with this, I just wish someone would have told us beforehand, maybe even when we checked in so we didn't feel so awkward in that moment. Apart from that we had a really wonderful and relaxing time. Would definitely go back!

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Lena D

It is a pride to know that your last experience with us will leave you the best memories of this wonderful destination.
We hope it is not the only time you visit us and we hope that in the future you will give us the opportunity to marvel again.
Remember that here there will always be a great team of great quality that will be waiting for you with open arms.

Reviewed 28 July 2017

I took my daughter on a "Senior Vacation" before she starts college. We stayed in the adults only section with Royal Reserve. Our room was fairly updated and we received a ocean/pool view upon only booking a lagoon view, which was a nice surprise. The room was very nice and seemed fairly updated. The shower was full glass which was only covered by a thin white curtain and fully visible in the room which was a little embarrassing for myself and my daughter. Our butler Carlos was very nice and attentive. The staff at the hotel were amazing and super attentive, especially in the adult only section.
I thought the hotel was a bit boring. It all depends on what you are looking for on a vacation. The only swim up bar was in the family pool. The adult only pool should have an accessible bar. The adult only section inside and outside were dead!!!! The adult only section pool area was under construction. I cannot fault the resort for this. It was unfortunate for us, but when you are open 365 days a year, improvements have to be made. The restaurants were VERY hot and I am coming from Oklahoma were it is extremely hot in the summer. Also, I thought the evenings were a bit boring. Basically, the only entertainment at night were cheesy shows from 8:30-9:30. I would have much preferred some casual bar areas for mingling and perhaps some music to dance to?? Again, I think it all depends on what you want out of a vacation. If you want a serene calm vacation, this is your place. If you want lively, fun............this is not your place.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank skeith405
Ricardo R, Gerente at Paradisus Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2017

Dear skeith405

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. We regret that your perception of the hotel was not as good as you expected. I want you to know that our hotel offers entertainment and services for all types of guests. Maybe on this time the accommodation that you had was on the wrong side of our hotel.
Indeed the royal service area, one of the most awarded and appreciated attributes, focuses on the rest and relaxation of adults seeking high quality services throughout their stay. This is why this area is exclusive and only allowed access to people who are staying under this treatment.
On the other hand, in the case of guests staying in the regular area they have entertainment services and activities for the whole family all day. Additional to this areas like Cocos Beach Club are designed for people looking for music and fun in front of the sea.
We are sorry that we have obtained this rating, we hope that in the future you will give yourself the opportunity to know another type of accommodation with us, because Paradisus Cancun will always offer the best.

Reviewed 28 July 2017

So, overall we had a good time. There were a few hiccups but nothing that ruined our trip. Below is a brief review and just some FYI information that you may find useful.

Beach was beautiful but lots of seaweed when we went.
Beach chairs are first come first serve.
Pools are nice. Warm water. Swim up bar. Pool chairs are first come, first serve as well.

Hotel rooms- as mentioned by others, it's an older hotel so there were some issues.
- Light switches wiring is kinda weird. There is a master switch- if you turn it off, all but a couple of outlets still work (important if you're charging phones/iPads over night).
-Ac is loud but you get use to it.
-there is a safe in the closet. There's one extra step than the safes that you usually find in US hotels. Instructions are hard to read (use your flashlight app). The extra step is that you have to insert your hotel key card into the slot and then remove it. Then set up code.
-dead plants on balcony. Foliage elsewhere is well maintained.
-very few English speaking channels, no news channel (e.g. fox, CNN). They don't have a guide/directory- you'll just have to surf through the channels.. There are 2 kids channels and abc and NBC channels that are English speaking,
- we had ants in our bathroom. They came and sprayed it immediately.
- we had leaking in the ceiling of the bathroom. They came and fixed that quickly as well.
- there is a step up into the bathroom. Also the tub wall is higher than typical tub. Not an issue for us but could be issue for those traveling with those who have issues ambulating.
- mini bar is stocked daily with water, soft drinks, juice and beer. They also have potato chips and cookies ( no candy).

Hotel
-at night, they burn incense (a lot). This may be bothersome for those with asthma or other respiratory issues.
-there's no ac in lobby or elevators. Not a big deal in the lobby, but it is hard to breathe (and can be stinky) in the elevators.
-certain areas lack lighting in the corridors outside the rooms.

-most of the staff are very attentive and nice. We tipped everyone- they were very appreciative.
- housekeeping is inconsistent.
- maintence repair was prompt and quick.
-waiters are very hardworking and polite
- beach service was great. Very attentive.

Food- overall food is great. Better than most of the other all inclusives we've stayed at.
Restaurants (in order of recommendation/preference):
-vento- tapas. Excellent. Our favorite. We did not order from menu. Waiter brought out chef's recommendation.
-market grill. It's like the Brazilian steakhouses in the US (e.g. Forgo de Chao)- selections not as extensive but had a lot of different types of meat. The chicken and the special cut (forgot what it's called, comes out at the end) are very good.
-mole- Mexican food. The mixed grill is very good.
-fuego- Peruvian food.
-bana- Japanese food.
-enso. Asian fusion. We did not like this at all.

There are other restaurants:
-naos- buffet. Lots of options. We only ate here for breakfast so not sure what the selections are at lunch and dinner
-blue agave. Very good tacos and quesadillas. We frequented here a lot.
- there's a crepe and gelato bar. Kids went here a lot.
-there's also a coffee and donut/pastry bar.

Just FYI, no salt and pepper on tables (anywhere). I assume it's bc of the humidity. But they'll bring it to you if asked.

Misc.
- if you're getting a vacation package with $550 hotel credit, it's not true hotel credit. They give you a coupon book worth 550 in savings e.g. $20 off Bali bed or $20 off massage. We did not use any of the coupons.
-kids zone. Small area (inside). Limited activities.
-when you arrive, after you check in, they try to get you to sign up to listen a 90 min sales pitch for club melia (vacation club- variant of a timeshare) They'll offer you 40 min free massage (relaxation) and aqua therapy, which were ok.
-if you're Catholic, there is Mass at the hotel next door at the fiesta Americana, Sunday noon. It was supposed to be in English, but when I went, ca 95%+ of those in attendance were Spanish speaking, so the priest ended up celebrating Mass in Spanish.
- you may want to convert money before you come. They do money exchange at hotel but they don't give you the full conversion amount.

Stayed: July 2017
4  Thank Vacation72017

Dear Vacation72017

Thank you for giving us these comments, I want you to know that our team will do their best to improve anf thank you for have given us this important feedback.
Our most important objective is be able to offer quality services for all our guests.
We hope that in the future you will let us be your host hotel again and see the improvements in all our services.

Reviewed 28 July 2017

Nothing but great things to say about this resort. The service was five-star from start to finish. The food was amazing (Agave and Mole are a must!), and the drink selection was great for an all-inclusive resort. The fitness facilities were awesome as well - I'm big into bootcamps and circuit training, and they offered free classes everyday. The fitness trainer I had all week was very experienced and ran a great workout! You have to go to his classes when you visit! Lastly, the location was great - in the middle of the row of major resorts.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Evann B

Dear Evann B

Thanks for choosing us as your host hotel and for sharing with us your comments.
It fills us with happiness to know that we could be at the level of your expectations and know the efforts of all who work here it's recognized with good reviews and recommending our hotel.
I want to extend my most cordial invitation to join us again in the near future, so you can enjoy all the wonders that this beautiful place has to offer.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 28 July 2017

I have to say I was not impressed with the Paradisus Cancun. Upon arrival we met with our concierge, he informed us that we would have to book restaurant reservations 24 hours prior to our desired dining time. That meant I had to set my alarm for 7am to get a reservation for the next evening! I called as i was told and requested certain restaurants and they were always "booked".My husband and I went to the restaurant that we wanted anyway to see how busy they actually were and we noticed many available tables. We asked if we could sit and they again told us they were booked. Oddly they never filled the tables as we sat and had a drinks at the bar. This happened all week! We met some other vacationers at the pool and they told us upon their arrival they made reservations for the week at all their desired restaurants! So which is it? I think is a scam so you are forced to eat at the buffet. I also felt the in hotel staff was not overly friendly which I have never encountered before in Mexico. I will not be returning to a Paradisus!

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Rita D

Dear Rita D

Thank you for your comments. We regret that you have had a number of inconveniences regarding the dinners inside the hotel, in this case I would like to tell you that indeed dinners can be done only one day in advance, the people you met maybe booked under the family concierge packages or the Royal service, in this case they are guests with personal butlers and they are in charge of scheduling the dinners for the whole stay of their guests.
We regret that your reservation did not have any of these attributes. I want you to know that we will share your comments with the departments involved so that we can make improvements to our services.
We hope that in the future you will give us the opportunity to return to stay with us so that you can live all the good that we have here.