“pity about the lack of beach sun”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Riu Cancun

Hotel Riu Cancun
Ranked #31 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
england
“pity about the lack of beach sun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

this hotel is withoiut doubt, lovely
rooms were really good, food was delicious although a lot is deep fried, i would assume Americans deep fry their bacon ?
there is nacho, cheese and jalapeno dispensers on most floors and the fridges were stocked regularly
my nly gripe was the beautiful beach only get sun until about 3 in the afternoon, after that it slips away over the sea !!
excellent location too, i recomend coco bongo for a night out

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank meddlingmike

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,331)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Rui Cancun for 7 days in January. I read the reviews on this site before our trip and I was definitely nervous that we didnt pick a great hotel. However, this hotel was awesome! It wasnt the most upscale hotel we have stayed at, but it was a great price, very clean, and a lot of fun. The beach was awesome, and the pools were great - however you did need to get up early (around 830am) to get a good lounge by the pool that stayed in the sun for most of the day. The sun did go behind the building at around 3pm if you got one of these good spots, but the beach got sun all day and there were always available lounges if you wanted to switch from the pool to the beach when the pooldeck got shady. The two buffets were great - always a ton of food. You cant go wrong with a huge salad bar & typical food like eggs, sandwiches, burgers, pizza and fries. We ate breakfast and lunch at the buffets almost every day and always had great meals. All of the bars are great - all different drinks to choose from, and you can actually taste the alcohol in them (unlike other all-inclusives where they are watered down) We ate at each of the specialty restaurants once - the Japanese & the Steakhouse were okay and the Brazilian Steakhouse was great and also a lot of fun. However, this hotel is so close to so many other restaurants and shopping areas so we ate dinner outside of the resort 4 of the nights we were there. There is a mix of less expensive places as well as some really great restaurants all very close - we ate at Harrys Steakhouse and Ruths Chris & both were really great. I definitely reccommend Harrys Steakhouse - sit outside on the back patio overlooking the water - really something spectacular! We also took the local bus to the large shopping mall in the hotel zone a few times. This had great shopping, some cool places to have drinks/appertizers and also an aquarium (the bus was about $1 US each way from the hotel) Our room was fine - I read on here people complaining about the king bed being 2 queens pushed together - all you have to do is ask the front desk when you check in for a real king bed. They were more than happy to get us a room with an actual king bed & a great view. All of the rooms look out on the ocean side, so as long as your above probably the 2nd floor, you will have a spectacular view of the ocean. We were on the 7th floor. The room itself is nothing amazing, but definitely fine for this trip & for the price. The bed was okay, huge bathroom, older TV but worked just fine, and a bar area that was stocked with water bottles, sodas, & beers every day (they stock it when they clean your room). Also a liquor dispenser with tequila, vodka, rum and whiskey to make your own drinks in your room. Overall, I really liked this hotel, and we had a great time staying here for 7 days.

Room Tip: If you want a king bed - ASK them at the front desk - they were more than happy to make sure we had...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank stephanie m
Montreal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

Trip: February 15-22, 2012
Weather: Day 1-2 were cool, 3-7 warm/nice

The overall experience was good, however it could have been made a lot better if the front reception staff had good customer service training. I heard good things about RIU Cancun, and did the research. I took negative comments with a grain of salt, but I think that from here on in I will give them more merit.

I had a set of standards and expectations that were not met. We arrived late due to flight complications, and we were very tired. We were greeted with a smile and given a quick review about the resort. When we arrived to our room on the fifth floor, one of the two keys didn't work. Just as we were getting ready to enter the room, a baggage carrier met us with the same room number for another guest's luggage. When we got the door open, we were hit with a pungent smell of sour musk. This scent is said to be common to Caribbean rooms. To be fair the cleaning staff did keep our room spotless and our small fridge stocked with water and soft drinks. The room was a little dated, but it was far from being the Bates Hotel or anything like that.

It was nice, but not spectacular. The high balcony blocked the view because it is enclosed with solid concrete rather than railings. At this point and after seeing the “Welcome “NAME” and “NAME” on a pair of towel arrangements we decided that this room was prepared for other guests. The new front desk clerk was difficult and suggested that the only thing we had a problem with was our view. I said, “Well that and the fact that the room isn’t ours, the key doesn’t fit, and the room smells funny.” I left out that the floor of the balcony was greasy. She put us in another room on the 2nd floor, right over the noisy pool bar where an announcer uses a megaphone to play games with guests. I didn’t bother asking for something in a better location considering she worked so hard to put us in such a wonderful area (sarcasm intended). We sucked it up and kept the door to our new enclosed balcony closed at louder times of the day.

On another occasion we asked reception where we could purchase minutes for the Internet. In a separate booth off to the right sat a woman on the phone. She sold us her smallest card for 100 minutes, and told us the computers were at the Sports Bar. We went up, and found out that the Sports Bar sold cards for 15 minutes. So, she lied. We scratched off the number and the code partially came off with it. We went back to reception, and she said sternly “I TOLD YOU, to scratch it off softly.” I said you did not. She refused to refund me, or give me another card. Again I sucked it up, and walked away determined to just purchase the 15 minutes I needed to check my email. I heard her mutter something while I walked away.

From there on in, we avoided the reception area. The other staff was absolutely wonderful! The beverage servers, waiters, waitresses, and maid service was great. The entertainment was also very good. No complaints, they really worked hard to keep you happy and make your stay enjoyable. Our expectations were not entirely met, and as I said the front desk needs to learn good customer service and could learn from the rest of the hotel staff, but we did for the majority of the time enjoy our stay. We will not be returning to this resort because of the poor service at reception. When you spend your money to visit for a one-week stay, you expect excellent treatment from the people greeting you right from the very start.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jessica L
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

I really enjoyed this hotel. Don't listen to the reviews on here. If you are wanting a quiet environment then this is not the hotel for you!!!! There is lots of fun going on everywhere during the day! Don't worry, you will get a good night's sleep. It's not noisy at night, but during the day there is a lot going on! Upon arriving at the RIU Cancun, I was greeted with a drink and check in was very quick. The bellman took my bags to my room. The rooms are fully stocked with beer, soft drinks, rum, vodka, tequila, and whiskey. The restaurants are very good too. Make sure you make reservations for the Brazilian restaurant. You can make these downstairs in the main lobby. This hotel is all-inclusive so all the drinks around the pool are free, the drinks in the room refrigerator are free, and all the food in the restaurants are free. The hotel is very clean and the staff members work extremely hard to make sure their guests are taken care of! They are very professional and friendly. There is a bit of a smell in the room like people have said, but that is what Mexico smells like. It's a tropical environment. I think it added to the experience. It wasn't a smell that's going to make you sick or anything. It's just different and you will get used to it. I had a great time at this hotel and everyone was very friendly. It's easy to meet people here too. There were lots of different people from all over the world staying at the RIU Cancun. The hotel provides a lot of different activities for everyone 24hrs. a day. I would suggest visiting the travel agents downstairs for day trip ideas. The Chichen Itza tour is a must see! The only negative, which really isn't a negative, is the 24 hr. snack bar. The food here is lousy but what do you expect at 2AM? The Pacha discoteca is fun too and there are shows to see each night at the hotel. It's one of the more affordable hotels in Cancun with everything you need. It's close to everything! It's safe. It's fun! The beds are different. I like luxury and when I first sat on the bed I thought that I would never be able to sleep on it. It does feel a bit hard. But I'll tell you, the weird thing is I slept very well all 5 nights that I was there. Try it out!!

Room Tip: Call ahead to upgrade your room to ocean view!!!!! The sunrise and sunsets are incredible sights ea...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cousin11
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

Pool, beach and common areas are very nice and kept very clean, staff was friendly, food was good, however the rooms are a bit dated. The bed was not comfortable and pillows felt like sand bags. Bathroom shower was dark, dingy and small. Healthclub was small and stinky. I worked out at the RIU Palace healthclub which is right next to RIU Cancun, and that was much better. If you don't care about those things, then you may love this place. Pools are beautiful.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Bourne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

This hotel was recommended to us by a dear friend who passed away recently. He always said stay in a RIU and oh my gosh it was AMAZING totally blew me away. There was soo much food to choose from and alcholic coctails were on tap constantly. If you dont drink alcohol don't worry the Banana Mama is delish!!!
Me and my friend are 22 and 23, we went to the hotels night club Pacha, which was ok. But if the reps offer you to go to Coco Bongo's its a must....definatly an experience. Also we went to delphinus a hotel down the road where you can swim with dolphins. This hotel have everything on its door step.
The rooms are clean and big, there is a mini bar and fridge, four bottles of alcohol on tap and the fridge contains bottles of wter, pepsi, larger, sprite and soda....the cleaners refil them for free!! The hotel also provides towls but we took our own so that we could see our sun bed, as there are loads.
We met some friends that were on top floor 15th floors up...if you get the chance to choose your room, then they have the best view...so blue and pretty.
There is a games room that you will need paysos for and internet access.
If you need to see the doctor be careful as I had to pay $109 for a nail trim as my toe nail lifted :S....only use the grey cash machines in the mall opp Riu to get more cash.
Overall the holiday was AMAZING and I will definatly be going back!!! worth every penny!! :D X

Room Tip: Top floor have the best view, as you can see for miles and is very blue!!....we stayed in third floo...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank woobz
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

I took the whole family to this resort from Feb 16 - 23, 2012. I took two rooms one for the teenagers and one for my wife and myself. Overall this was a very nice resort and all the staff were very friendly. We had a problem the first night we arived as they gave us rooms at each end of the resort but when I complained they corrected the issue the very next day. This resort has two buildings attached at the frist floor. The newer tower is 15 floors with room numbers per floor #1 - 38 are the better rooms with great ocean views and better smelling rooms. The other building is 7 floors with room numbers per floor #39 - up are the older rooms, the rooms we had in the older building the first had a musty smell that we did not have in the newer building. This building looks directly over the main resort area and has good ocean views except the 5th floor where there is a roof in front of the rooms allowing you to only see the middle of the ocean unless you have a suite. The food was good at all the restaraunts, there is one main buffet and the other three neeed to be booked 2 days in advance. If you want to book try an book around 8:00am and you should get the time and location you want. Caution
the beds are firm so don't expect pillow top beds or seep number beds, I sleep on a water bed at home and I had no troubles with the beds

Room Tip: Stay in the newer tower the rooms are a little better but the elevatore get realy busyat times so yo...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family