“Paradise, great place to stay in Cancun”

Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas
Ranked #17 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 28 March 2012

This was my first time in Cancun and enjoyed every minute of it at Riu Palace. They have a warm and friendly staff that greeted us with drinks upon our arrival and went through a quick intro of the all-inclusive amenities.

The hotel is located walking distance from the strip of clubs and bars if thats what your interested.

Only downside is the food is overly salty. So prepare your taste buds for overly salty foods.

Room Tip: request for non smoking and a late check-out.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 27 March 2012

General
My wife and I stayed at the Riu Palace Mar 17th-24th 2012. The first impression on entering is that it is gorgeous, dark hardwoods, classy decor. I think the hotel, is probably the best looking all inclusive I have stayed at, and I have stayed at many. A lot of hotels rely on an over the top amount of marble to make them look good, and they end up looking like a poor mans vision of of what class looks like. Sort of like buying a Rolls Royce, and painting with zebra stripes, it might be more fun, but it doesn't have the class of a black Rolls Royce. The service at the front desk was impeccable, in fact the service was great at the bars, and restaurants. Three nights in a row, we ended up seated next to two couples with squealing/crying kids, when I quietly asked for a new table, we promplty had all our food and beverage moved with no fuss, no muss, no questions.
The complaints
My biggest beef with service, is that I picked the hotel because it had Wi-fi, and it didn't work. I can only go on vacation if I work on the internet for about 2-3 hours a day, I usually do this by renting a room, that has a large sunny balcony in the morning, while I work, my wife sits on the deck soaking up the sun, having her morning coffee. Then when sitting on the beach I will put in another half hour or so, then a final check at night. This way I don't disrupt my wifes vacation. The wi-fi would only work in the restaurants, and the lobby, despite paying extra, to get wi-fi in my room, and beach, there was none, the signal was blocked. When I complained, I was quickly bumped up the ladder, and an assistant manager came and checked out that I really had a problem outside the lobby, as we were walking back in, a lady said she couldn't the wi-fi she paid for, then the manager was called and he went to my room, where he confirmed that he had no signal on his smart phone.
I told him that I would pay what it took to get wifi, as this was costing me a lot of money. He offered to refund my wi-fi fee. But, I would loose clients if I can't keep in touch, and my wife will divorce me if I spend 2 hours away from her in the lobby everyday. He said that the wi-fi was outsourced, and brand new, but he would look into it. That was the last I heard about it. I compromised, by losing a ton of money, and ticking off a bunch of clients, who might not send me more work, and I only worked one hour a day, which kept my wife from leaving me, but she was not happy about spending time alone. When I booked the room, I specifically asked for a large sunny balcony, with a King bed, on the 4th-6th floors. I got a shady balcony, that never saw the sun, on the 3rd floor, with 2 double beds pushed together. While we were checking in, a couple was complaining at the front desk about getting double beds, and were told that it was all they had available. I know the hotel was full, every window lit up at night, so they didn't have a lot of choice, but I think people should know that a request made when buying the ticket is completely ignored. I could have probably got a different room, if I pushed, as they actually seemed to listen to you, but since there was no wi-fi, what was the point.
My last beef, was the beds and pillows, I have never in my life slept on such hard lumpy beds, and hard pillows. The first night, I had to get up and do back and shoulder stretches, as the pain was keeping me from sleeping. After that I found a few stretches every night before bed, and first thing in the morning, only made the bed very uncomfortable, as opposed to an instrument of torture. I stayed at the Sun Palace last fall, and there were many complaints in trip advisor about how hard their beds were. There was no comparison, RIU is much worse. I'm heavy and the pressure points where my hips dug into mattress are stll sore, and have light bruises, 4 days later.
The layout
The Hotel is a semicircle and is very well laid out, it feels like it was built with a plan in mind, and completed tastefully. The center of the semicircle is the large infinity pool, that few people use. 90% of the ocean view rooms will look across the pool, and out to the idylllic half moon shaped beach. The view, was incredible, the lights of Isla Mujeres, and Cancun reflect of the water at night, at dusk, the shades all blend together, and during the day the gorgeous blue water was perfect. All the restaurants are on the ground floor of the U shaped hotel, only one, El Romero allows you to sit by the ocean while dining. In front of the hotel, by El Romeros is the swim up bar, and activity pool. If you stay at the Riu Palace, you get to use the Riu Cancun and Caribe. However, you can't get reservations to eat at their restaurants, only buffet and lunch. The Cancun, is literally right next door, and though the beach was eroding between the two, it was an easy walk. The Cancun had a younger crowd, and it's swim up pool bar, also had jacuzzi tables sitting spaced around it, to allow more people, very cool. So you can enjoy the quiet at the Riu Palace, and have a little more lively time at the Cancun. We never spent the 70 cents to take the bus 3km to the Caribe, somehow, we just didn't find time, possibly because I had to breakup my day to go to the lobby for internet service.
Noise
The resort was quiet, I believe this was in large part due to the carpet in the halls, at the Sun palace, you could hear a room service cart coming 10 doors down, and someone talking right around the corner. I really appreciated this. The only flaw in the quiet, was that the doors were paper thin, and when someone was standing in the room across the hall talking behind their closed door, and I was standing behind my closed door, next to the bar and minifridge, I could hear every word said about my neighbors love life.
The Restaurants
The food was all inclusive OK, we had a few great meals, mostly so-so meals, and one meal, where my wife phycially couldn't cut her steak, I cut mine in half, and gave it to her. Mine you could cut with a fork. There is an Italian lunch restaurant, that becomes the Brazillian dinner restaurant, it is tastefully decorated, the food was generally good. The first restaurant outside was the Fusion restaurant, I can't remember the name, we never ate there, as you needed to make reservations by 8:05 to get into that restaurant, and the Japanese restaurant on the other side. All the rest, the brazillian, the mexican, and the steak place, still had reservations after 2:00. Bear in mind, I'm talking baout 2 days out, as you are only allowed to book up to 2 days in advance, there was never a time, when we could reservations for the same day.
There is also a buffet, with a different theme every night. We preferred the Palace hotel chains system of just walking up to a restaurant, and sitting down, to this 2 day booking system. The Palace hotels also allow you to use any restaurant at any hotel at night, we ate at the Cancun, Beach, Sun an Moon Palaces, without reservations, at Japanese, Brazilian, Italian, Asian, Steak, Mexican, and international restaurants. All, while staying at the Sun Palace, the Moon palace cost us a taxi ride, the rest were 70 cent bus trips.
The Bars
The lobby bar is classy, the dark wood really looks great, but I prefer to be outside when I go to the tropics. You can walk from the bar into the entertainment room, where they put on Michael Jackson shows, tropical drum shows etc, you can walk through the show room, and go outside and have a drink on a large patio, you can still see the show, and listen to the music, but spend time outside. At the end of the pato is an outdoor bar, with a very funny bartender, who does his best to keep you amused, and drunk. It is all very well laid out, easy to find, easy to get around. There is also a bar by the pool, and a swim up bar, both of which close at night. You can get drinks on the beach or by the pool, the waiters come often.
The rooms,
Our room was nice, just about average for what we usually stay in, it was a junior suite, with a step down to the tiny living room, and out to the balacony, very clean, the coffee maker was the easiest we have used in a hotel room, and we have coffee every morning. It had two double beds pushed together, so it was bigger than a King, but if you went to the middle, they slid apart, and you fell down, it was also rock hard, and lumpy. It looked like it was set up for the double beds to be pushed together all the time, as the head board covered both, with no room to spare. I'm not sure how two guys would like this. My wife and I weren't happy, we like to cuddle in the middle, and then roll away, when we get too hot. That wasn't happening, so I would have to hop into her bed for a while every night, but we soon got too hot, and had to go to seperate beds.
Airconditioning and humidity
The airconditioning kept the rooms very cold when set low, but they were always humid, I have stayed at many hotels in the tropics, and this was noticeable, it wasn't unbearable, but it was very humid, because I could keep the airconditioning cranked low, I survived quite nicely. I was told by someone, that when an airconditioner picks up moisture, it is either because it is too large, and only runs part of the time or it is too far from the room, and absorbs the moisture on the way to your room. The room had a subtle musty smell, but that is common in the tropics, I'm sure some rooms are worse. The halls had a slightly stronger musty smell, probably because of the carpets, but I'll take the smell over the noise, and it wasn't very noticeable.
The Beach
The beach was sheltered by a combination reef and breakwater, and calm when all other beaches were too rough to swim in. It was half moon shaped, and one of the prettiest beachs I have seen. It is small, not as small as the Cancun next door, which is almost nonexistent, and has all there chairs shoved into a little alcove in the building. There were rocks, but not bad, and because it was calm, I did more swimming in the ocean than I had done in the last 4 years total.
Going back
I probably won't go back, as I can't survive without internet, and the beds were painful for a 50 year old who weighs 250 lbs.
However, I would recommend the hotel to people who like hard beds, and don't need internet.

Room Tip: Rooms below the 3rd floor, which is 4 floors above the lobby, above L,E,1 and 2 will have obstructed...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank QCseismic
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Upon arriving we were given no introduction to hotel amenities , restaurants or how all inclusive works by staff . There was a sickly odor around the external food prep area in the restaurant opposite the beach . I asked for non smoking I assume all the rooms are smoking rooms . The lift interiors and exits are often wet ", this gets left like this for to long " I saw to people slip and fall badly when exiting in the week I was there . Some days we walked up 5 flights the lifts were either to busy or not working at all . My room toilet blocked and flooded at night twice for no good reason . I had a suite , the room was clean but characterless , hardly a suite , the sofa had a bad odor of sweat . Guests scream and shout and fight at early hours in the morn and are not adressed by security . The mini bar fridge is loud and switches on and off continuously at night with a bang . The health centre and gymnasium are old with poor equipment, the floor is sandy. The room phone kept dropping calls going silent and then I was unable to redial , I made 6 calls from the room one for 3 minutes the others less than a minute , the cost was over a 170 $ us dollars . I asked for a bill or record of the call cost and was told they would have it for me when I checked out , they ran my credit card through while I collected my luggage from the room . When I returned they were unable to provide it . I complained to Diane Rodriguez a senior employee she was very rude , she told me the phone system was broken that they had no record of the calls made but that is wat they were charging me ? I had a flight to catch so I left . Other - the gift shop tried to overcharge me , I asked for a receipt and the price suddenly changed . There is no good external shopping in this area .

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
9  Thank Waynestainforth
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Loved everything about it.. The all-inclusive was great, especially the drinks and alcohol in the rooms. The pool was beautiful.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Carl S
Reviewed 25 March 2012

The Riu Palace LAs Americas is a nice hotel overall. Some of the major positives is the all inclusive resort contains a variety of dining from fresh to japanese also a buffet that has a different theme for dinner each night. The best part is all the drinks are included and so is the food. The resort has friendly staff ad the location is perfect not to far from shopping malls and right on the beach. The only reason i gave this hotel 4 stars is because the entertainment at night is ok not wow it is just dancing every night. But overall this hotel is nice.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view upon arrival for a free upgrade if possible
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank flyworld1
Reviewed 25 March 2012

We stayed at the Riu Palace Las Americas from March 17 - March 24 2012. Overall, a very good experience

Service at the resort was outstanding. All of the staff was very helpful and ready to cater to any reasonable request. In particular, the bar tenders are great. They remember you after the first day and often have your drink waiting for you before you have had a chance to sit down.

The beach is small, but is adequate for swimming and is sheltered from red flag conditions present further south. While the towel game is in force, as with all resorts I have ever been to, there never was a problem finding a space to sit.

The resort is an older property, but the staff works very hard at keeping it clean. The room was clean and had no evidence of a musty smell. We had one issue during out stay - the bath tub faucet broke off. It was replaced immediately and did not affect our stay at all.

Food quality overall was very good. The buffet had a good variety and usually some good specialty items. The a la carte restaurants were all very good - definitely not the same food as the buffet. Reservations are slightly inconvenient, but not as bad as some resorts I have been to. It would be nice if there was more capacity/seating at the French and Japanese restaurants.

The hotel's location is good - only a few minutes walk from the main night clubs and shopping area. There is a good mall and shopping center almost right across the street. We felt perfectly safe walking around the area, even at night. The hotel also sets up nightly trips to the various night clubs complete w/ transportation.

Overall, a very good experience. I would recommend Riu Palace Las Americas to others and would definitely consider going back in the future

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank jbhe723
Reviewed 23 March 2012

First time in Cancun 2 weeks ago. Although the weather was not too great (windy & cloudy), my husband and I had a lovely 4-day stay in Riu Palace Las Americas with friends. Our junior suite with oceanview and poolview was Excellent, plenty of space for 2 people even in the bathroom (which even had 2 sinks), very clean especially the bathroom/tub/shower, with a mini-bar, big comfy bed and lovely views from the spacious balcony... GREAT SERVICE. Staff were very helpful, very friendly, attentive and accomodating. There were 8 of us in the group but we booked separately & arrived on different days, and when we requested to have 4 rooms all next to each other, they made changes and accomodated our request with no problems at all... The hotel itself is beautiful, even the lobby is a nice place to hang out. Very good location. Great food. I can't think of anything negative to say about this hotel. And may I just repeat this: EXCELLENT STAFF... Highly recommended!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends