“Fantastic Experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Upper Brookville, NY
“Fantastic Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

My husband and I had never been to Mexico or to an All-Inclusive and we were blown away. All positives.

The staff was exceptional. We never waited for a drink, the waiters and waitresses were always polite and very accomodating and the service was with a smile. The beach and pools weren't overly crowded and we were always able to get a nice spot in the sun.

The food was very good and had so many different choices, even just at the buffet. The theme restaurants were all good. The french fusion and the American steakhouse were our favorites, followed by the Brazillian steakhouse. The Italian place for lunch was not that great, nor was the Mexican. Not bad, just not great.

Our room was HUGE and we had the most basic room. There is a small living room with a TV and couch right by the sliding doors, so when we needed a break from the sun, we were able to relax and still enjoy the weather. The beds were very comfortable and everything was very clean. Housekeeping came later in the day, so they never woke us up. They turned down our beds at night and left an adorable towel bunny on our last night.

Overall, highly recommended. We loved our trip and will go back to another RIU Palace again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ashley S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,044)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Naperville, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

Excellent service at a gorgeous hotel

My husband, 14-yr old son, and I stayed at the RIU Palace from 3.22.12 – 3.27.12 over spring break and had a wonderful time. We booked our trip through American Express Vacations. This was our second trip to Cancun; our first to the RIU Palace. The hotel is gorgeous and the service is outstanding. When we checked in, I realized that I had forgotten our vouchers. The front desk took care of it, by calling the travel agent to retrieve the documents for me. They went ahead and checked us in, gave us our keys, and we did not hear from the front desk after that. I really appreciate this level of service.

The buffet food was so good that we did not eat in any of the non-buffet restaurants. The service is unparalleled. The buffet servers knew us after a couple times and brought us everything we wanted. The pool servers were just as good, anticipating our needs, bringing us drinks until we did not want anymore. On our last day, we were kind of sad to say goodbye to the staff. They seemed sad to see us go as well.

The hotel was immaculate and there was no mildew odor anywhere as reported by prior travelers. On a couple of the nights, they had local vendors set up shop and we purchased all of our souvenirs there. Our room was very nice. Our room faced the ocean and overlooked the pool. At night, we would set out on the balcony and sip a martini that we poured from the liquor cabinet. The room had a coffee maker and all drinks in the minibar were included in the inclusive cost. The bathroom shower was great; lots of water pressure. I would give this hotel a five-star, but the beds are hard and you could hear a lot of noise from the hallway after the spring break party cruisers returned at 3:00 AM. With that, there were not a lot of younger spring breakers, mostly late twenties and older; a respectable crowd. The RIU Cancun Hotel, which was next door, seemed to host the younger spring breakers from what we could tell when we walked the beach.

At the RIU Palace, the pools are absolutely gorgeous and so is the beach. It’s certainly a chair game at the main pool, not so much at the beach. We heard the hotel was at 65% capacity, but it seemed sold out at the pool. We had to get up at pretty early to get the chairs we wanted at the pool. The chairs we wanted, and everyone else for that matter, were located on what I affectionately called the Gold Coast. The Gold Coast is one of the only spots at the pools that get sun the entire day. We even witnessed a little tiff between some guests, as some people would put towels down at 7:00 AM, leave for a few hours, and expect to have chairs upon their return. Just to give you an idea of the chair game, the first morning, I woke up at 7 AM and barely beat another couple to the chairs. The next morning, I got there at 6:30 AM, the next at 6:00 AM, and our last day at 5:30 AM. The morning we left, I looked out our balcony down to the chairs, and they were all occupied by 6:00 AM. There was an entertainment crew at the pool and we loved it. My 14-yr old son had a blast. If you prefer the beach, this is an excellent beach with the softest white sand, coral reefs and calm turquoise water that you can float and snorkel in. Also, expect to see drinks coming out steadily from the staff. There are large rocks/reefs in the water, so be careful. There is plenty room on the beach, its not huge.

When we return to Cancun, we will stay at the RIU Palace. Thanks to the whole RIU Palace staff for making our vacation so wonderful.

Room Tip: All rooms are at least a junior suite and have ocean views; book full ocean view for the best view.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Thonie
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

I read nearly every review on the Riu Palace Las Americas before my trip and while the large majority of them were favorable, there were a handful of bad reviews that made me nervous. It only took me a few hours at the resort to realize that those who complained were seriously crazy. From start to finish, top to bottom, this was nothing short of spectacular. The lodging, the food, the service, the entertainment - all truly wonderful and fun experiences. I would never hesitate to return, mainly to get a drink at the 'Cun' bar from Diego and watch Esteban dance to "Si Si Si, No No No." Thanks Riu Palace - it was a blast!

Room Tip: I was in room 437, which was pool and ocean-facing and in the interior corner of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Bridget K
Laguna Hills, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

This is probably one of the nicest all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean. The pictures on the web site accurately represent the property; it is beautiful. We went for a company trip in February 2012, and took our 4 kids (two aged 18, one 14, one 13). We booked three rooms and stayed six days. We had a group of 19 and all of us had a blast!

Accomodations: The rooms are clean, nicely decorated, and spacious. The views from the balcony are lovely. The bathrooms are also beautiful. I am meticulous about cleanliness and these bathrooms met my standards--no mold anywhere. The mattresses are super firm (aka hard as a rock). The showers are a little challenging because the handheld sprayer is difficult to keep in a position where the water doesn't spray out of the tub. There is no lighting in the shower/tub, which makes it hard to see to shave your legs.

Food: The buffet was lavish and delicious, with quite a variety of options. (My husband loved the fish and my daughter and I highly recommend the tacos and guacamole!) The restaurants are also very good, except for the food served all night at the restaurant off the lobby--it was terrible, worse than freezer food from the grocery store. My main complaint about the food is that you have to stand in line early in the morning to make reservations for the restaurants, and you can only make reservations for the current day and the following day. Then they tell you that the restaurant you want is full. (Later when we walked by, over half of the tables were empty.) That was highly frustrating.

Entertainment: We were pleasantly pleased with the evening activities. The shows were fun and enjoyable. The Michael Jackson show was especially fabulous. If you like Michael Jackson, I would recommend going a little early and getting a good seat.

Service: The service was phenomenal. I was continually amazed at how attentive the staff was. I found it almost impossible to believe I was staying at an all-inclusive where people didn't expect tips. The servers at the pool hustled so much to continually bring us (and everyone around us) whatever drink we wanted. They were fantastic!

Overall, we had a really terrific time. The weather was beautiful. The water was warm and clear. The kids had fun parasailing and jet skiing, but told us that the best part was just hanging out in a beautiful place with the family. Can't beat that!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Cari S
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

I spent a week here and it was one of the best experiences of my life. The rooms were large and comfortable. We had fantastic views from our balcony, which was also large and and furbished. bathroom was clean, rooms cleaned daily. Full mini bar always stocked. Gorgeous pools. THE FOOD WAS PHENOMENAL. Best of all the staff is so friendly, accomodating, and fun!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Jessica J
Fleetwood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

We travelled to Cancun Mexico for our wedding in April 2011. We chose Cancun as our wedding location as we had been before and loved it (even though our hotel aquamarina beach was distinctly average!!). As this was THE most special holiday we would ever go on we decided to pay a bit more and stay at the Riu Palace.

As a side note we travelled for the first time with thomas cook instead of our usual thomsons. We never will do that again as the planes leave a lot to be desired...

Anyway we arrived in Cancun to glorious sunshine, transfer from airport to hotel is fast so no worries there. When we pulled up to the hotel I couldn't believe how beautiful it looked.
We were greeted at reception with a drink as we checked in. We also got a free upgrade to a suite because we were getting married here.

The suite layout was living area with couches tv, fridge and optics (all branded spirits) then you walk through to the bedroom which is a very generous size. Off to the left is the bathroom containing 2 sinks 2 showers a bath and toilet room. Off to the right was the walk in wardrobe (perfect) I was thrilled i had so much room to store all the wedding day garb and room for all my shoes!! Then past the bed down a couple of steps at the bottom was a couch, table and another tv.

Fantastic rooms... just great. Just to address the complaints on here of 'a musty smell' it's the same whenever you go to this kind of location. You are next to the ocean, man up and buy a plug in if it bothers you that much!! OR don't stay in this kind of location.......

Anyway food in brief...
Buffet restaurant - great selection different everyday, fresh and plentiful .
Krystal fusion restaurant - Beautiful. THE best fillet steak.
Japanese restaurant - Amazing starters, chicken on skewers yum.
Steak house - Nice but not to my taste as it's outside & the mozzies love me!!!
Mexican Restaurant - Great. Loved the fajitas, beware of the shots they go down too easy ;)
Brazilian Restaurant - Great food if that's your bag just isn't mine. Husband liked it though.

In all the restaurants the service is second to none. Those guys work so so hard to keep everyone happy. They can't do enough for you. Constantly topping drinks up.. and i mean constantly!

Room service was fab too. Limited selection but it IS available 24 hours a day and there is pretty much always somewhere open for food at any time. It was a great added extra. We ordered breakfast to our room twice aswell and you can ask for pretty much anything that you would usually get at the buffet.

The cocktails in the bar are excellent. My particular favourite was the sunrise... please try it if you're going here it's delicious!!! Again staff fab in the bars..

Getting sunloungers was no problem as we preferred to lie in the quieter part near the jacuzzi. If you do prefer a noisier atmosphere there is a busy pool area to the right hand side with a bar. The waiters are in operation by the pool area aswell and again, fabulous service so attentive.

I won't say much about our wedding day as it was personal to us but i will say the hotel wedding planner is great. Emailed her back and forth lots of times before we got there and the day was PERFECT!!!!! She did a wonderful job and really took the stress out of it for us. Just a perfect day.

My husband celebrated his birthday while we stayed here and I told reception about this and they sent a bottle of tequila up for him. Small touches like this go along way with us and everything was just so special.

I really can't recommend this hotel to you enough, we were very sad to be leaving as we had the perfect holiday and hopefully we can return one day.

As for Cancun itself it's just a great place for a holiday whether you're a laze about the pool type of person or you want adventures and activities. There is loads to see and i would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Stuzanne82
Milwaukee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

As a 5 time Sandals Vacationer at my first RIU or Mexico vacation. My basis for comparison needs to be defined. I researched on a number of sites like Trip Advisor the Hotel beforehand so we were prepared.

We had a fabulous time in March 2012, we can have direct flights to Jamaica and Cancun but the 2 hour time difference meant we were in the pool and drinking before noon. We were prepared to not get into our rooms upon arrival, so we did not get annoyed like someone at the desk about 2 pm. They kept saying come back in an hour. So we did. We ended up checking into our rooms at 4:30… I think since we were not stressed about it they kept making us come back. When we did get our rooms they were on the end of the building [very nice]. We could live with not being near the other couple we traveled with for that!

Checking in buzzed is an experience...

Check in was very different from Sandals, at Sandals you are welcomed home and given personal service and introduction – a tour, etc. While here you are treated like any random hotel with a 90 second introduction. The good was you get to the pool right away, the bad was it wasn’t as welcoming.

The pools, wow, the infinity pools were awesome! I must say the water was impressive and It really gave a great feeling to be able to see the ocean from the swim up bar.

There were issues with our room, The toilet was a dual flusher and would stick open and ran until I took the lid off, maintenance came up and tinkered with it but we learned from that to just press and hold both buttons. The door wouldn’t close all the way without a strong tug [warped] so we didn’t need our key after the maids had been in the room, which was nice since for the first few days the keys were not working right, it worked fine after a while, so I figure there was dirt or something on the reader.

One interesting note the ceiling fan and AC will not turn on when the patio door is open. But the ceiling fan stays on when it’s opened. The AC did work once we figured this out… but we normally kept the patio door open and the fan running.

The smell people talked about was present in the public areas that did not have a lot of air exchanged. We agreed this was from all of the humidity and beautiful woodwork that was all over. We did not think it was significant. Neither of our rooms smelled.

The dress code was enforced for the most part, they would stop you if you didn’t have shoes or shirts or long pants at the correct places. It did give the hotel a higher end feel in my opinion.

Reservations – Because of Trip Advisor we signed up for dinners in advance and had no problems getting in anywhere we wanted. The gentleman in the lobby was the only person at the RIU I felt was a snob / trolling for a tip. The system they used was broken; all of the restaurants were half empty at 6:30 and 8:45… because people would not show up for reservations.

By comparison with Sandals the average age here was 10 to 15 years younger. I would say it was somewhere around 33? It really did feel younger. There were a few kids here as well, while this was odd for us; it wasn’t an issue except when it made us miss the ones we left at home. When I went to the RUI next store to check it out – it seems to be filled with kids. I would not recommend that level unless you want to see other people’s kids.

The music and culture were missing from this vacation. In Caribbean we have always enjoyed the local culture to some degree. But here all of the music blaring at the pool was 80’s and 90’s pop and rock. I even asked them to play local music and they laughed. It was clear that the guests here wanted to hear AC/DC, etc.

Drinks: As you would expect they had more and better tequila. Sadly, better rum too as Sandals now serves muddy disinfectant and calls it rum. Both places could use Appleton! The bars were all consistent, but some choices were just not displayed. If you like Johnny Walker red label – they had it down below at the swim up bar – you need only ask for it… but it was not visible if you didn’t know to ask. However, I would say there were more options at Sandals as some of their evening bars had some more options.

Food: Pico and Guacamole at every meal! OMG it was so good! The food was overall exceptional; I can see where anyone staying more than a week would get bored with it. The Brazilian – go hungry for meat! Don’t fill up on the apps. They bring 6 types of meat and buns to your table. The Japanese pan noodles were crazy good, I could go back for them!

The staff was great, the activities staff really had to work some days to get us “lazys at the swim up bar” to join them for “aquas aerobics”.

The spa – we signed up for a couples massage and it was expensive and not special. But we learned that they come around every day to sell people at the pool, you can get 20% off easy but someone got 50% off that I heard. I didn’t pay much attention to it at this point but the tip is to buy at the pool :)

A few random tips:
- Bloody Mary drinkers bring your own celery salt.
- Bring a 2 prong extension cord with 3 plugs at the end. As far as I could tell there were only 3 outlets in the entire room, only 1 in the main living area.
- Ask at the front test for bottled water when going up for the night; carry it to your room yourself. We never ran out of bottled water because of this.
- Take a personal towel to set out on your chair. There were a couple of incidents of people who would take a chair with a towel on it, but they shied away from chairs with personal items on them – as this said someone was coming back.

In closing, I really feel this review pumps up the RIU, deservedly so. I would call this a hotel and Sandals I would call a resort. But I also think the feeling of ‘Home’ we get at Sandals makes me want to go back there more than here, so I will call this place a close second

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple