“All Junior-Suite All-Inclusive”

Ranked #17 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Clements, California
“All Junior-Suite All-Inclusive”
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Riu Palace Las Americas is a family-friendly all junior-suite all-inclusive resort located just to the west of the Fiesta Americana and Dreams Cancun resorts (i.e., it is on the top leg of the "7" and faces calmer waters.) If you can afford to splurge, stay in one of the ocean front corner rooms. They have great amenities.

Think twice before you decide to have your destination wedding at Riu Las Americas. A few years ago I had clients who chose the Riu Palace Las Americas for their destination wedding. I suspected trouble when the on-site wedding coordinator kept being changed. Thank goodness my clients took my advice and got legally wed in the US and only went to the Riu Palace Las Americas with family and friends to have a symbolic ceremony. The wedding coordinator failed to book an officiant for the wedding; that would have been disastrous if they'd actually needed one to officiate at their wedding there. A guest did the honors so all went well. The couple were satisfied with the rest of the arrangements (flowers, reception, etc). But a glitch like that is not the sort of thing you want to have happen at your destination wedding.

Room Tip: Book one of the corner oceanfront suites.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
7 Thank I-love-to-travel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,196)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Marion, Iowa
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Not a 5 star resort- maybe 3. Pros: Very clean, beautiful resort, drinks were good, location was good. Cons: Beds were hard, we even had a mattress topper put on but still very hard. Food was average but I will say the Japanese restaurant was by far the best, this was actually the first time I think I lost weight on vacation instead of gaining a few pounds. The biggest con was the water in the bathroom. The faucet water and the shower stunk like raw sewage- they tell you not to drink the water out of the faucet and I see why. I highly recommend brushing your teeth with bottled water. I had to hold my breath when taking a shower and never felt clean no matter how much soap I used.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Kim M
Shelby Township, Michigan
Reviewed 29 April 2012

We stayed at the Riu April 15-20, 2012. I did read all the reviews, it sounded good. We had a Junior Suite Ocean View, it was beautiful! Our room was clean and maid service was incredible! Everyone was very friendly! The food was excellent, except our one dinner at the steak house. I ordered my steak rare, it came well done, sent it back and was still well done. That is my only complaint. The beach was awesome and the drinks were too! Got a massage and it was beyond belief! Overall for our first all-inclusive vacation we LOVED the Riu!

Room Tip: Third floor ocean view was awesome!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank aynshay
washington
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Went with a group of 22 to the Riu Palace Las Americas Cancun Mexico in April 2012. Everybody had a
great trip and said they thought this resort was top notch. The food was good and had a huge selection in the buffets and that the resort staff would make sure you where taken care of by bringing drinks out on to the beach and to your chair by the pool. The place was kept spotless there was always cleaning and polishing going on where ever you looked. The only low point I heard was most of the group thought the beds where to hard , All said that they would come back to this resort again.

Room Tip: Try and get the ocean view rooms! The view is worth it.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank sdhman
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 27 April 2012

We went to celebrate our 5th anniversary with another couple and we provided a suite upgrade on our check in (we had mentioned that we had been to this resort a couple of years ago and loved it so much that we wanted to celebrate our 5th and we got the upgrade!) - what a way to start the vacation.

The staff everywhere: front desk, cleaning staff, entertainment, bartenders were all very friendly. The service was fantastic.

The food was good, i thought the breakfast and lunch buffet options were plentiful and mostly delicious as we tried new foods (mussels) that we'd not ever try at a normal restaurant. Krystal was the best of the restaurant choices, the Brazilian restaurant was probably the weakest, but we still enjoyed the experience. One downfall is that after a week, the food does get a bit repetitive.

The beach was in great shape, and the water was awesome for swimming.

Some nit picky type items: some of the furniture looks worn, some rugs also shored a bit of wear. I suppose these items might bother some for a so called 5-star resort, but it did not effect our enjoyment whatsoever.

Overall, our room was great, it was cleaned and the maid service was always prompt and thorough. An amazing experience!

Room Tip: Ocean view is great, however, the city view isn't bad either if you like to people watch some of...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jason K
Norwich
Reviewed 27 April 2012

On arrival yes the Hotel does look impressive! But this is not the case in my opinion a very average Hotel 2T Not 5T as advertised.
The first rooms we were given were on the 1st floor coming in from the lobby on right side, they were smelly, the sheets were stained! disgusting, the top cover probably had never been washed in the 9 yrs the Hotel has been open. The fridge was very noisy which i switched off, you could here a humming noise from the building next door. The beds were very hard & uncomfortable, pillow cover not cotton.
We ask to move rooms on 2nd day, we were moved to the other side 8th floor this time with No Balcony as requested! The sheets were also stained in both rooms again! Very noisy corridors with doors banging & noise in general. No other rooms available to move again as Hotel was full its Spring Break! You would think this was an 18-30s kind of place in fact average I would say 30 - 50! Fight for the best sun beds! If you are not an early riser you can forget getting the best beds, in the end I secured my 4 beds @ 6.45am! The drinks on offer around pool & Beach are watered down, disgusting! The main Buffet was o.k a good selection & the staff very pleasant.
The 5 other restaurants on offer Not bad apart from the Steak Grill which has No atmosphere & next to a building with the same humming noise as our first bedroom! All 5 restaurants only have 2 sitting its either 6.30pm or 8.45pm too early for me or too late! 7.30pm - 8pm would of been ok but Not possible. After 9 days i could take no more! & did check out early after a long meeting with the Hotel manager his final comment was well the Riu Palace is what it is!! say no more don't waste your time & money. We ended going to the Sensatori which for sure is a 5T i upgraded to the premium section which is a must! you even have your own private cabana by the pool or on the Beach. I have travelled all over the world & i'm not one for really complaining but i know what the good things are in life & trust me the Riu Palace is Not one of them.

Room Tip: There are No good rooms
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Penimarini
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 25 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at this resort back in September for our honeymoon. We had an amazing experience from the moment we stepped in the front doors. We were offered a delicious drink right away and received great customer service. The hotel is very clean, and all of the staff members were polite and friendly. The food was really good, just remember to make your reservations for the restaurants early. The Japanse restaurant was our favorite!

We never had a problem finding a place to lay out, even though we did not get down to the beach until at least 11am every day. The night entertainment was so much fun, especially the Michael Jackson tribute! I really can't say enough about this place. I tell all of my friends and family to stay here. We will for sure be returning to this location!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor: less noise and stunning views!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple