So, we stayed at the RPLA May 8-14th for our anniversary. Here is our review: We arrived after 6pm and check in was a breeze. I asked to be given a king bed since it was our 15th anniversary,and was hoping to get a nicer room - but was given room 135 which is on the first floor - barely had a view of the ocean and was right over the lobby. The entire first floor was moldy smelling, luckily the room wasn't so bad. I was happy to have a king bed, and I am not one to complain but it was a little disappointing.
Lets start with the cons: the headboard was not screwed into the wall, which made for some loud noises when doing anything on the bed, even just sitting down. We finally figured out to wedge a hand towel behind it to dampen the noise. Talking with another couple, they had the headboard actually fall over on them while they were sleeping, so we avoided that thank goodness. No light in the shower. It was so dark in there, it was almost dangerous. No shade out on the beach. A couple of umbrellas would have been nice, although the beach is pretty small so it would be a bit more cramped. Our biggest complaint by far was the bed - I mean firm is one thing, but I felt like we were sleeping on the tile floor instead of the bed. Literally, my shoulders and hips felt so bruised it was like someone was punching me in the arm. It was hard to get a decent nights sleep, I woke up every 15 minutes because I had to move. Not a relaxing way to spend a vacation! You know its bad when the lounge chair pads out by the pool are more comfortable, which is where we took naps during the day. My husband even went so far as to sleep on the couch the last night because he couldn't take the firm mattress anymore. Come on RIU, invest in some tempurpedic mattress toppers for goodness sakes! I had TWO mattress toppers on the bed, and it still didn't help!
PROS: Service. Every person who works there is happy to be there and they want to help you. We tipped our waiters and maid, and it helped I think. The wait staff remembered us and had drinks waiting, got our favorite foods, etc. Ernesto at the outside bar - you are the el heffe. Rebecca at lunch and dinner - outstanding customer service. They did it all and with a smile! The room was always clean and the frig stocked. Location. The hotel is centrally located to Senor Frogs, Coco Bongo, etc so for night life excursions, it is great. There are several malls and flea markets across the street for shopping. Beach. The beach is amazing. We walked several places and the beach at RPLA is outstanding, albeit small. The sand was like powder and white. Food. Food was good on the buffet, and there was always enough choices you could find something to your liking. Room service was quick, but the food was OK at best. We ate at three al a carte restaurants and Krystal had the best food by far. The steak place was good, although the lobster and the filet were tiny. The Brazilian one was decent, although it felt like they rushed you out of there if you had an early seating.
Overall, it was a good vacation. Would I go back? Not unless they change the mattresses. I just can't spend that kind of money and not get a decent nights sleep. Which is sad, because the staff is great and that makes a big difference for us.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located in "Corazone", Cancun resort area * On the beachfront * Complimentary sun loungers on the hotels private beach * 8-storey building * 100 m/325 ft. To Hotel Riu Cancun * 120 m/390 ft. From a shopping centre * 10 km/6.2 Miles from downtown Cancun * 20 km/12.5 Miles from the airport * Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Visa ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, RIU Hotels and Resorts, Travelocity.ca, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Cancun
- Cancun Riu Palace
- Riu Las Americas Cancun
- Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas Cancun
- Riu Palace Las Americas Hotel
- Las Americas Cancun