“Beautiful Hotel”

Ranked #16 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My husband and I have just returned from a 3 week holiday in the Riu Palace Las Americas in Cancun. This is an Adults only Hotel. On our arrival we were greeted with a welcome drink. Our booking in took no time at all and before we knew it we were in our room. It was a very comfortable and large room which overlooked the pool area and straight out to sea. We were on the 7th Floor. There was a fully stocked fridge which was refilled every day, there is also Optics with a variety of spirits. There are 5 speciality restaurants Krystal, Mexican, Italian, steakhouse, Japanese plus the main self service restaurant. The food in all these eating places is excellent we visited the specialities quite often and there is no waiting if you go around 7pm. You do not need to book these restaurants in advance. There are 3 pool areas one in front of reception entrance is the quiet pool there is a Jacqussi, also the main swim up bar which gets very busy and noisy as this is where the day entertainments team are.
The Beach is very clean and there are plenty of sun beds and parasols to be had. We did not have any problems with sun beds as there were plenty to go round. There is a fully equipped gym with a steam room and a cold shower room.

The entertainments team were very nice and the evening events were very good. We were very impressed with the groups who started off the evening entertainment from 8:00 until 9:30 the evening shows then started at 9:45 until 10:30. The staff work so hard to please everyone from the Management, Catering, Chamber Maids, down to groundsman and cleaners. The Mexican people are so friendly and helpful and cannot do enough to please. We flew on the Thomson Dreamliner which as usual was a very comfortable experience. Our overal comment on our holiday experience was very enjoyable and we would highly recommend the Riu Palace Las Americas.

Room Tip: Preferably ask for rooms with Sea View
13  Thank Kathleen B
There are newer reviews for Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We love this place! The service is consistently exceptional, the grounds and pools are beautiful, and love the location (even though we typically don't go anywhere except room to pool chaise, and back again).

This is the second time we've went in August, and yes it's stinking hot. This time we had an issue with the AC in the room... apparently they knew of the issue (wouldn't cool), thought they fixed it, but didn't. We had to call maintenance a couple of times. With the location of our room (616), the whole one side was exposed to direct afternoon sunlight, making it much hotter even though we kept the blackout drapes closed.

Loved the fact that we requested a wrap around balcony room again and got it. I love those rooms, you get such a panoramic view.

Made an interesting discovery that the newest pool (the small round one off to the side) is actually a saltwater pool. And usually, there's nobody in it during the day! Had a very relaxing time over there on one of the days that we wanted to get away from the party pool and there were no lounges available at the middle pool. There's plenty of sun and shade, the bar service was great (as it is in all areas outside), and very low-key.

One thing my husband and I noticed ... and obviously it's no fault of the hotel, they don't know who's making reservations... but there was a totally different crowd there this time. Much younger for sure, although I don't consider myself OLD. But what was glaringly noticeable to me was the increase in the place being trashed -- broken glass, half full drink glasses left in the MIDDLE of the hallway, someone always smoking in their room, gagging up the hallway (6th floor). And someone went down the hallway and spit on every decorative wood panel. Seriously?? More times than not I witnessed utter disregard for the requests of the hotel -- and blatant rudeness towards the staff. The staff there works really hard at keeping the place spotless, and some of these rude people just made the staff's job more difficult. I tried to pick up where I could (like the glasses and trash in the hallways).

At dinner one night I was literally pushed out of the way when reaching for a lobster tail at the buffet -- and before I knew it, 3 guys had each piled 4 lobster tails on their plates, leaving the platter empty. And when the next platter came out, they did the very same thing again.

I didn't let this ruin our vacation, but it just made me sad to see some people disrespect the property, it's employees, and other guests. I really do hope this was a one-off thing. But as stated earlier, this is no reflection on the property itself... because we love it there! I always rate the property very high, and would give some of the guests 3 thumbs down.

Room Tip: corner suites - rooms ending in 16 or 45 have wrap around balconies facing the ocean and pool
10  Thank rob0206
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

I stayed at this resort in mid July and had a wonderful experience. Our suite was located on the 7th floor complete with balcony jacuzzi. The room was very spacious and had a spectacular sea view. The food in this hotel was beyond expectation at every meal. The Black and White restaurant was my favorite. Parasailing and water sports were available right in front of our hotel and provided exciting entertainment. A short bus ride to Playa Tortuga allowed transportation to Isla Mujeres where we rented a golf cart for the day and had another great visit. I especially enjoyed the 'Adults Only' restriction to this hotel and I would recommend it very highly.

Room Tip: Corner suite on 7th floor is the best in my opinion.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank Andrew B
Reviewed 15 August 2017

DO NOT STAY AT ANY RIU HOTELS IN CANCUN.

This has been the worst hotel experience in my life and let me tell you why. We arrived at Hotel Riu Cancun on Wednesday August 9th. When you first walk into the lobby it smells like mildew. We were then greeted by Fernando who processed all of our paper work. He offered to give us a “free upgrade” to Riu Las Americas which was about a block down the street and promised us that we would get two junior suites with an ocean view. Because the Hotel Riu Cancun was overbooked it would be difficult to accommodate our party even though I made reservations in April of this year. We agreed to moving our stay to another hotel because of the “free upgrade”. He proceeds to charge my card and gets us a van to transport us to the new hotel. When we arrive there, we were then assisted by Yessica. She took out passports to scan for hotel information and then proceeds to get us checked in by applying wristbands. The ONLY thing Yessica explained to us about our stay was how to operate the safe and the paperwork we had to sign if something was to go missing. After her explaining this I asked Yessica to confirm the type of rooms we had and she said that we were not going to be in a junior suite but just a regular ocean view room. I politely explained to her that her colleague from the other hotel Fernando promised us if we left we would get two junior suites. She then says he is new and he did not explain correctly. Technically this was not an upgrade because I originally booked two ocean view room with my previous reservation. Upset about the miscommunication they did not honor what was promised to us.

DO NOT STAY AT ANY RIU HOTELS IN CANCUN.

Tired from out long flight we just went along with the rooms they gave us. We went to the room to only come to the smell of mildew again. The room was damp and it felt like the air conditioning did not work properly. I happen to check my account and see that only 176 US dollars was taken out of my account rather than the thousands of dollars that I originally was supposed to pay. I went to the guest services upset thinking it was a security deposit that I was unaware of but only to find out that Fernando charged me in pesos and not US dollars. We had to wait until Fernando came to the Las Americas resort and had to redo the payment which took away from my leisure time in the hotel.

DO NOT STAY AT ANY RIU HOTELS IN CANCUN.

Friday August 11th my friends and I went on an excursion and came back to the resort. While in the ocean in the resort my friend’s wristband broke off in the ocean. After getting ourselves dressed we came back to the reception to get it replaced and the guest service agent Rebecca says we have to pay $120 USD to get it replaced. Mind you, when we were first checked in on Wednesday August 9th, Yessica did not disclose this information if we were to lose the wristband. We politely explained this to Rebecca but she continued to interrupt and talk over us and accuse us of trying to give the wristband to someone else that does not belong in the hotel. She also had a very nasty attitude and was not friendly at all. She even said if we did not purchase the wristband my friend would have to leave the hotel. This did not make sense to me because if that was the case what was the purpose of scanning out passports and verifying who was staying in which room? The manager comes out from the back and my one of my friends asks is she the manager and she responds back with a nasty attitude “YES, I AM THE MANAGER” which was very unprofessional for a manager to do (The manager’s name was Carolina). We again explain the situation of what happened and the manager says again that we must pay the money because it is posted in the hotel the charges if certain items are missing. Mind you, the items that are listed in the front ARE IN SPANISH. We are not from Mexico so how is someone that does not speak Spanish supposed to be aware of these charges that are going to take place. The manager ended up giving us the wristband free of charge after understanding how unfair the situation was and we thanked the manager to hopefully not go through anymore problems with the resort.

DO NOT STAY AT ANY RIU HOTELS IN CANCUN.

On Saturday August 12th we receive a call from reception saying our transportation will be ready to pick us up at 9:30am the next day. On Sunday, after eating breakfast around 9:15 we come to the reception to complete check-out. The guest service agent Felix was in the process of checking us out and then he says we owe $150 USD for destroyed towels. Mind you, we had our room serviced days ago and NO ONE told us anything about this. A guest services representative named Erika claimed she called us the day before check-out, but that did not occur. Again, we only received a call saying that our transportation service would be there to pick us up at 9:30. Then Erika says “well there are a lot of incidents that take place she doesn’t remember if she gave us a call or not”. What type of customer service is that? So now we have an issue that we are trying to resolve within 10 minutes because our transportation service is about to leave us. They knew this would be the case so now we are forced to pay $150 dollars without speaking to a manager or anyone that has authority. They showed us the towels only one towel was damaged. Mind you they are white towels they did not even try to wash them. I have worked in the hotel industry as a guest service agent and that could have been washed or they could of at least attempted to before trying to make unauthorized charges on the account.

This has been the WORST hotel experience in MY LIFE. I strongly encourage individuals if they are traveling to Cancun DO NOT STAY AT ANY RIU HOTELS IN CANCUN. They have the worst customer service. They are rude and not understanding. They made my stay a living hell. I had to constantly check my bank account because I was so concerned about them making unauthorized charges on my account. I will never come back here and I will make sure to tell everyone about the RIU brand name and how negligent and unprofessional their employees are.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
15  Thank ttoliver2010
RiuHotelsandResorts, Online Reputation Manager at Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and for expressing your concerns. At our front desk, we are committed to give all our clients a warm welcome and a professional service from the moment they arrive at our hotel.

We apologize for the inconveniences related to your booking. These are very rare situations and we are committed to avoid them in the future. However, in the event of facing such disturbance, we always try to provide the best solution possible guarantying that our guests receive the same or even better holiday experience.

We would also like to clarify that damage caused by guests to any of the hotel’s furniture, decoration or facilities shall be billed to their account as clearly stated in the service directory placed in all guest rooms. We regret to read you did not agree with our policy regarding this issue.

We hope you will choose to visit us again, and give us a chance to demonstrate the high standards of guest service that are typical at our resorts.

With our best wishes we remain,

Online Reputation Manager

Reviewed 15 August 2017

If you're going on holiday to this place, be rest assured you will leave a few pounds heavier.

The hotel has multiple restaurants and being all inclusive, you are never in lack of food and good food!

Staff is absolutely lovely and there is tons of them so you never have to look far to get help.

The rooms could do with a little refurbishment as they feel a little outdated, but it is Mexico.

All in all, very good and close to the beach and the nightlife that Cancun has to offer.

Will be back.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TheLuxeVagabond
Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

This is a great place to go. The entertainment staff kept us busy and were a lot of fun. We went to coco bongo just to experience the night life in Cancun. It was a lot of fun. We really liked the Asian restaurant and the buffet was not as bad as some I have had at other all inclusive.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 August 2017

We got there real early that morning around 10:30, they told us that the rooms were not ready yet but we will take care of you. They gave us the wrist bands and told us to enjoy yourselfs come back around 3:00 and your room will be ready.. We went to beach and pools that were all great..The room was fantastic right on the corner overlooking the beach..The food was better then last year and the staff was the best. My only complant was when I got a real nice spot to sit and enjoy the pool a man with a small boom box sat next to me blarrring his crap for all to listen. I told one of the staff but they did nothing.. The next day on the beach the same thing happen again with a different guy blarring his crap... Apparently they don't care about this matter and its becoming pretty bad.. On Tuesday not only did you have the pool music but there were 2 other guys with boom boxes all going at the same time..I won't becoming back...Other than that it was great, thats why only 3 stars and not 5.

Room Tip: The corner suites are the best
3  Thank Elbeto E

Dear guest,

Thank you for your loyalty to RIU Hotels & Resorts and for taking the time to give us your constructive and valued feedback. We appreciate your kind words regarding our staff and thank you for highlighting the view from your assigned room.

On the other hand, we would like to apologize that you felt disturbed by some of our other guests and the noise at our hotel. As you might already know the main priority at our resorts is to give our best to make all of our guests feel comfortable. We would like to inform you if some of the other guests are crossing any social boarders you have always got the option to talk to our management which will take appropriate action.

We sincerely hope you will give us another chance to demonstrate the high standards of service that are typical of our hotels.

With our best wishes we remain,