“Wonderful time!”

Ranked #32 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Newburgh
“Wonderful time!”
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Just returned from our trip and had a wonderful stay! The rooms were very nice and the bed was much more comfortable than expected. We had a wonderful view from our balcony. Room service to deliver coffee in the morning and late night snacks was a bonus! The staff was very friendly, but not overbearing. Entertainment staff very good and there was always something to see. We had a couples massage our first day and the spa was great! Food is edible, but bring your sense of adventure here, because there are a lot of things I didn't recognize. Otherwise, plan on lots of bread, fruit and pasta. Dinner shows are highly recommended, the cirque du solaris was amazing! Overall great property, and would definitely stay here again!

2 Thank Tammie C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,084)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Long Island, New York
Reviewed 21 April 2012

GR Solaris Cancun, All-inclusive

General: 6 single adults (age group 31-54) We had a blast at the GR Solaris. Far from perfect, it was an exceptional value and we would all return. Price for our rooms: $220.00 per night for oceanview. That is per room, not per person. All fees & taxes included. (i.e. $110 per person) Price will vary by month & availability. About 15 minutes from airport.

Beach & Drinks: The beach was beautiful. White sand. We loved to play in the waves. Never had a problem finding chaise lounges for all 6 of us. A waitress brought drinks right to your chair. In fact, once while I swimming in the ocean I made a big circle with my finger for a round of drinks & sure enough she remembered just what we were drinking and brought us a round. No top shelf liquor. We were so busy trying all kinds of whacky drinks off their extensive drink menu, we hardly noticed. I loved the Electric Lemonades, Cupids and Rhumbas. Hotel has towel service. Get one towel with your towel card and exchange for clean towels during your stay. When you turn in towel for good, get your card back for checkout to avoid a charge for lost towel. There are vendors wandering the beaches. You will get approached several times but they are not too pesky if you offer a firm no. After a couple days they recognize you and don't bother you anymore.

Entertainment: There was live music & dancing each night in the lobby bar. Great turnout. Lots of fun. There was a show each night the ballroom. Better quality than I expected. Instead of usual hotel staff putting on a 3rd rate show as many do, they actually had trained dancers. I enjoyed the shows. One night there is no show and no band in lobby. They have karioki that night. Shows included, dancing, magic, mime, Michael Jackson tribute.

Check-in: No long lines. Arrived after 3pm so our rooms were ready. Requested rooms were double beds, all 3 rooms. Smoking 1 room. They gave the smokers the non-smoking room and the non-smokers a smoking room. They gave all the girls rooms with double beds. They gave the 2 single (straight) guys traveling together a king bed. All of 3 of would have had to trade rooms to make it work correctly except no one was willing to give up their oceanviews! We had awesome oceanviews. All our rooms were located in different areas of the hotel so each view was different. All excellent.

Sometimes we travel with an odd number of people and this hotel was perfect for that because some rooms have a murphy bed. 3 people could each their own bed. Technically, 5 people could stay in a room if the double beds were to be shared.

Room amenities: Reading lights over each double bed. In room safe. (use your own code) Balconies with 2 comfortable chairs & table. Coffee maker. Refrigerator with 5 beers, 5 bottles of waters, 5 cans of soda refilled daily - no charge. They never missed. Our frig was always full. TV, hairdryer, shampoos, etc. Our TV did not get any channels. My niece said they had channels but they were all in Spanish. We did not care because we always bring a DVD player to hook up to the TV along with a season or two of a favorite TV show. 24 hour room service. No charge. Limited menu. Note that a pizza is just a very small pizza for 1 person. We ordered room service for breakfast twice. Arrived on time with food hot. Loved it.

Pools: Nice large pool with swim-up bar & fun staff. Gets loud in the afternoon when the staff gets the crowd involved in playing some games. Some were pretty funny. There is another pool away from that. The quiet pool and the hot tub is in an adult only area. All ages are allowed at this hotel but it was not overrun with children. More difficult to find chaise lounges at pool. People even put towels on them to claim their territory sometimes hours before showing up. We usually found at least 1. We all six would put our stuff there and then go sit at the pool bar. There are also some loungers usually available at the quiet pool.

Non-motorized water sports: Included, but they are not located on hotel premises. You need to take the free shuttle down the street to the lagoon side of the street where they have a water activity area. There you can use pedal boats, kayaks, windsurfers or let them take you out on a small catamaran. If you do not know how to windsurf, they will make you take a lesson. The lesson is an extra charge and takes an hour. Everything else is free. When you are finished there, you walk across the street to the Royal Solaris, a sister property and get the shuttle back. You are also welcome to use the Royal Solaris. You can also reach the Royal Solaris by walking down the beach. When you get back to the GR Solaris the driveway is very steep. Ring the bell at the bottom & they will send down a golf cart to pick you up.

Food: When you arrive guest services will go over the food plan AND try to sell you a time share. We knew that going in so we avoided them. As it turns out they did have some information that would have been useful. We didn't find out until 2nd or 3rd day that there are two dinner buffets on most days. One in the same room they serve breakfast in and the other in the ballroom where a show will follow your dinner. Or if you are a late eater, show may be starting while you are still eating. The other restaurant is Marco Polo and they change the menu nightly. We ate there on Chinese night and French night. On any night there you can order lobster, steak, prime rib from the special menu but have to pay for it. Lobster was $30.00. The steaks less. These extra fee items are not on the regular menu. You have to ask for this menu. On French night, you can get a steak without paying extra. One shows up on the regular menu. To eat at Marco Polo you have to line up 8am in the morning outside the breakfast buffet to get a reservation. I have stayed at quite a few all-inclusives and would have to rate this food the worst I have ever had. Still, I was always able to find something agreeable but nothing memorable the entire trip. I have no opinion on their fish dishes as I don't eat fish. One buffet was all fish and they had 2 stations where they were cooking it fresh for you. There is a snack bar near the pool available most the day. (Burgers, nachos, etc) There is a Deli open 24 hours. Room service is also 24 hours. No charge. Lunch buffet near the pool.

Staff: Great staff. Very friendly. Very helpful. Some of them do not speak English very well. I found even when that was the case, they tried hard until they understood you or got someone else who would. Tipping is allowed and appreciated. We each brought a good supply of singles with us for tipping.

Outside Activities: One of the things I love about visiting Cancun & Playa Del Carmen is the off hotel activities. There is plenty to do in the area. You can party downtown if you like nightlife. Day time you can take a number of side trips, boating, sailing, snorkeling, ruins, parks. Xcaret & Xel-Ha. Our group left on same tour bus with 2 going to 1/2 day Tulum - 1/2 day Xel-Ha. The rest of us elected to spend the entire day at Xel-Ha. You can jump off a high cliff, float down the river on a tube. Do a zip line over the water. The snorkeling here is pretty decent if you go to the far side of the lagoon near the rocks and caves. Park admission includes free food & drinks. Xel-ha has awesome mudslides! We did not like the way GR Solaris made mudslides so we made up for it at Xel-ha. Yum. There are also outside companies right on the beach at GR Solaris to offer jet-ski rentals or para-sailing.

Room Tip: Pay for oceanview. It's worth it.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank BermudaBoundGirl
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 19 April 2012

This hotel is NOT 4 stars, 3 at best and that's being generous. The hotel is old, the rooms and beds are old, the tv is bubble style (1981 called and wants its tv back), the sun lounges are terrible and the lobby is a retirement village.

Upon check in I was asked if I wanted to pay an extra $30 a night for ocean view, when I already had booked and prepaid an ocean view room. Absolute scammers.

Also, the tour company 'best day' who our original transfers from the airport were from called me at 8am EVERY morning to confirm my transfer back to the airport/book tours. Disgraceful, so much for a sleep in on our vacation.

I stayed at Me by Melia last year and it was amazing. Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere better than here.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bel_LosAngeles
Solaris H, Social Media Manager at GR Solaris Cancun, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
Please accept an apology for the situation you had during the check in at the hotel, unfortunately there was a mistake in booking , for that reason we had not records of the payment , which is why the clerk asked if you wanted pay, but it was corrected immediately in the system.

BEST REGARDS,

HOTELES SOLARIS DE MEXICO
Iowa
Reviewed 18 April 2012

This is a very nice property. Six adults stayed here 13-17 April. Very clean smaller property with great staff. Liked the option of the swim up bar and activities pool and a smaller adult only pool for reading or taking a short snooze. Food was very good with a nice variety. We ate at the show two nights - the seafood buffet the night of the Magic Show was out of this world. And the Mexican Buffet for the Mexican Show was great too. Entertainment those 2 nights was impressive. Can't think of any negatives except for the rough texture of the pool interiors - very hard on your feet and will definitely snag any suit your are wearing. But if that's the biggest of our problems......we have no worries. Special thanks to these staff members - Vociferro (?), Rony, Luna and Betty (be sure to get the hot tea with liquor in the lobby in the late afternoon!). Also, who couldn't love Anna (Ruskie!)??? - great personality and fun person!

2 Thank TypeAGal
Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I had a reservation paid and confirmed with travel agent. When I arrive at the front desk with my family and present my voucher, they say that the travel agent had not paid for the hotel (which turn up to be false) and that my reservation was canceled. The women who attend me was Katia Vargas, claiming she was head of front desk, a very umpleaseant and rude women.

I told her that Solaris had a long term relationship with the travel agent, so there should be not problem to give me a room and charge them on monday. No way, she said, we have no room for you as i has not been previously paid.

Because, I had travel to the hotel, and was not willing to loose the trip of 4 persons to cancun, I propose to pay them directly what the travel agent owe them, and she refuse, and request payment of the full rate which was 30 % higher that what I had pay. I explain and prove her that I had paid much less and ask her to charge me no more than that. No, you pay full rate or you get no room. I ask to speak to the person in charge of reservation to confirm that my travel agent have efectively not paid for the room (i have made 32 travel with them in 7 years and never had a problem). Her answer : NO. I ask to speak with the manager : Answer : No, she told me she was the boss and i can only speak with her, pay the full rate or get no room. I told I will never go back to this hotel group, and complain in internet, She did not care. I told her it was abusive to charge me full price when i have no option to pay or loose the travel of 4 persons to cancun, she did not care either.

I have never been treat so badly in a 5 star hotel. Since i had travel to cancun, i have no choice but pay full price or lose the cost of travel. In fact we were so upset that we did not enjoy the stay.

Then much later, after i request twice to get a letter saying that travel agent had not pay for the reservation, Front desk told me that they had speak to them (which was a lie, as they were closed for the weekend), and that i will get a refund . Then when i ask to one of the cleck, how they have speak with the travel agent if their office was close for the week end, I was told that it has been an error and that payment have been done several days ago.

So all the trouble and bad treament because of the hotel error. Of course no excuse, and no compensation for the time lost and the fact that we were so upset that we did not enjoy the day. Also imagine that i did not had enough money to pay a second time for the room, or was not willing to pay for abusive charge rate, I would have to return home and loose the travel cost of 4 persons to cancun ??? This is really unbelievable

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
12 Thank Thierry D
Solaris H, Social Media Manager at GR Solaris Cancun, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
We regret for the situation you had during your check in at the hotel, we understand your displeasure in this regard; actually in our system we had not registered the payment of your stay, so that the Front Desk Manager proceeded to consult to the accounting department about your reservation payment ; since we have established policies for these cases that are unusual; there was no payment of the reservation.

Regarding payment you mentioned you did in the Hotel , the front desk department has informed us that this was reimbursed to your credit card, as you mention the hotel has a time relationship with this agency , however, let us inform you that to date we have not received the payment from the agency .

We offer an apology for the situation, we regret you felt offended because at no time was the intention of our employees.

We hope that in a future you can give us another opportunity ; we know that in one night's stay is very difficult to know our standars of service.

Please accept our apologies for this situation,

Hoteles Solaris de Mexico
New York
Reviewed 15 April 2012

My girlfriend and I have just returned from three days at GR Solaris and it was the worst experience of our lives. We feel we were the victims of legitimate fraud.

It was our first time in Cancun, or at an "all-inclusive" resort. Within 10 minutes of our arrival we were being pressured to upgrade everything imaginable from our original package. When we declined, they offered us a free room upgrade to an oceanside view if we agreed to go on a "tour" of the property the following morning. Against our better judgement, we agreed to this.

When we showed for the tour hotel employees told us we needed to show that our wallets contained a major credit card because Visa and Mastercard were the "sponsors" of the tour. This, of course, made little sense to us but we complied. The tour was nothing more than a high-pressure sales pitch to buy a $17,000 membership in the resort. You needed a credit card so that you could make a $5000 downpayment immediately. When we declined, the hotel employees became very angry and asked us to complete paperwork explaining exactly why we did not want to join.

Here's the best part. When we attempted to check out of the resort two days later we were told to pay $90 for the room upgrade. When I protested that the upgrade was supposed to be free, the front desk stated that they had no record of this and that the employees who had given us our "tour" weren't available. When we refused to pay for the upgrade, the manager told us that we would be PHYSICALLY PREVENTED FROM LEAVING THE HOTEL until the bill was paid. Refusing to believe this, I hailed a cab for the airport and six hotel employees physically barred the taxi from driving away. It was not until I threatened physical violence (not my usual behavior) that we were allowed to leave.

Incidentally, the resort was also dirty and the food was disgusting. I'll spare those details for the moment, but do your self ad your loved ones a huge favor - do not ever stay at this resort.

12 Thank Stephen S
Solaris H, Social Media Manager at GR Solaris Cancun, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
We deeply regret your comments, we recognize that it was a miscommunication between employees , we really sorry for this situation, we have reported to management of the areas involved and General Manager of the Hotel, who already have taken correctives actions.
We can assure you our guests are the most important people for us.

Thank you for your comments that help us to improve every day,

Hoteles Solaris de Mexico
oakland
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Great service, excellent location, awesome food and people to meet from around the world, clean and comfortable rooms with minibar and teddy towels, AND timeshare sales people, the guy woke us up at 9:00 am day 1 our solution?: we took the phone off the hook. If you want to have a great time stay away from the lobby from 9 to 5

Room Tip: Ocean view is worth the upgrade, about $40 more per night
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
12.0 km away
9.9 km away
Grand Oasis Palm
Grand Oasis Palm
#50 of 175 in Cancun

Been to GR Solaris Cancun? Share your experiences!