“Worst Mexcio experience in 5 trips!!!”
Review of Oasis Palm

Oasis Palm
Ranked #75 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Our family has enjoyed several other resorts in Cancun and other areas of Mexico. This resort is below "0" rating as far as I'm concerned. I only have one good thing to say about the experience, and that was a bartender named LINO. He was the only friendly person on the resort. Rooms were old and entire hotel was hot. Food better at Taco Bell than there!!!! Free drinks, but you will stand in line longer than you should. Beach dirty and lots of cigarette butts. We like all inclusives to relax and be pampered. This is not the case at OASIS Palm!!! Our group of 11 will never go back.

1  Thank Dedra C
There are newer reviews for Oasis Palm

Reviewed 29 March 2012

I will begin with the positive. We stayed at this resort and on the advise of several other comments made here, requested a room in the Tower. We got a room on the Penthouse Floor, with spectular views, beautiful bathroom (with a tub), lounging chair and a glasstop table and chairs. The housekeeping was great - the room was great. This resort seems to be a family orientated resort, plus it was spring break..so lots of kids and teenagers. The food was alright, but the buffet is very limited.
The beach however is a heartbreaker. It is very dirty, full of weeds and you can never get in over your head. It is very shallow.
If you are a shopper, this is a great location, just jump on the bus for under a $1.00 and you are at the mall or downtown within minutes.
Service was very polite.

Room Tip: Ask for an oceanview room in the tower.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Khadija T
Reviewed 28 March 2012

hi everyone we staid at oasis palm with sunwing from ottawa paid extra 50$ sunwing premium package for nothing but from toronto or montreal it`s a must .arrived the 15 march around 10 o clock night checked in saw the rooms thought a 4 stars in mexico had more luxur but no but they are fine always hade hot water room was made everyday toilette paper was replaced water in the room so service is fine only 2 a la carte restaurant on the site and both are fish the other 2 are buffets mexicain first day you adjust to what you like the rest of the week it`s fine the burgers are great but well cook only their hotdogs are turkey so different taste ice creme is a blast the bar for espresso or beers only opens at 10 in the morning so if your a morning drinker rent a fridge i suggest if you can book at the grand oasis palm cause the rooms are nicer and you get 3 other restaurant on the site and acces to a big pool with no body in everybody`s in the oasis palm beside on top of it with the grand you have acces to all the oasis in the hotel zone easy by bus 85pesos its a great place close to walmart and markrt 28 (5 min by bus) and close to coco bongo and great shopping center (5 min by bus) beaches are long for walks you could rent (2)sea doos for an hour for 120$ us always deal with us but use pesos for bus if you change your us in pesos go to the barcelo beside or when going to walmart alot of exchage if you have canadian change it here in americain first cause they give less for cad and here you get more for usd when stopping in bars always ask for happy hour (2/1) if he doesn`t want go to the next one they all do it (35pesos) for 2 beers if you take the ferry for the island keep your receipt cause you pay half price in the high tower with them while going to the island don`t rent the golf cart on the boat (45$ usd) when you arrive on the island go left playa north last street right 2 nd street charge you 33$ usd same kart(4 pass) they do have 6 pass didn`t ask the price (bring drivers lic or credit card) but rent one it`s to long to walk and go completly to the other end where they live not where you shop also if you plan on changing usd in banks (island) they want to see your passport biggest wal mart i saw very cheap appleton rhum (142.00 pesos) if you go at sams club bring drivers licence ask a day past
dalphine royal swin 139 usd at your hotel funtastic thats about 12 activities with dalphine plus boat ride food drinks incl beer taxi snorkling towels cabinets to store your things food drinks again from 9 am to 6.00 pm then you bungee it`s 45$ got it $40 then 85 pesos take back the bus easy easy easy place would go there trips for sure the only thing very very quiet a nite not alot to do people are gone at the clubs in town but the good thing is that they wake up late so at 8 am always chaires and palapa perfect suites muchas people
paid $877.00 from ottawa 8 days

patrick tetreault 40 years old
repentigny quebec
wife 38 and 2 daughters 18 -14
if you need more info tetreaultpatrick@yahoo.com

hopes it helps people

Room Tip: take the grand oasis palm better acces to every oasis sites that means you go at the grand oasis c...
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I will start by saying Cancun is beautiful & am looking forward to going back sometime. However...I would NEVER again stay at the Oasis Palm, nor would the 6 other individuals I was with.
Service and ability to communicate w/ staff was such a disappointment. From the moment of check in, until our departure day, it was one bad experience after another. I'll quickly try to hit some of the bigger points:
The Room: no clock, no working remote, 2 towels daily even though my particular room had 3 of us in it. No iron, no mini fridge as advertised; on those humid days, the warm water that I had in my room was no relief but I guess that's better than the other 2 rooms our group had which had no water at all.
The lobby area is very pretty, however, completely unsafe! Whether wet feet or not, extremely slippery.
On our first morning, my 71 year old mother fell after tripping outside on more of the unsafe structure! This was beyond scary for my mom & myself. As she lay on the cement, bleeding from her face, NOT ONE, NOT TWO, BUT THREE OASIS STAFF WALKED AROUND MY MOM ON THE GROUND & PAID NO ATTENTION TO THE GUEST IMMOBILE ON THE WALKWAY!!!!! (Thank you to the nice man who helped me get her up and back to the room!) Now I have an injured mother in need of some medical attention. When we requested ice from the front desk (for the elderly woman who had just fallen,) we were told to go to one of the bars and get it!!
Talk about false advertisement: At the Oasis Palm, there are 2 restaurants you can choose from (we didn't have access to those directly attached at the Grand Oasis.) 2 choices: 1 sushi & one seafood and steak restaurant. Perfect as my cousin who was along, doesn't eat seafood of any kind. Even the name of our pick for the last night's dinner was Cocoa seafood & steak; guess what....not a single beef/pork/poultry option on the menu...ALL fish!
Recreation staff & bar staff were nice enough; every individual within management/front desk were incredibly rude & had minimal ability to speak the English language.
OVERALL...WE WERE SCREWED AT THE OASIS PALM AND NOT IN A GOOD WAY!!!! I highly recommend to NOT have your stay here! I know times are tough for a lot of us; that's why we booked based on somewhat of a budget. But...if you really want the best experiecne while in Mexico...spend a little extra $$ and go somewhere you'll enjoy!

Room Tip: don't stay here!!
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I love that hotel it was beautiful service was great thankful to all that people that work there I'll be happy to go back :)

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank princesangie
Reviewed 26 March 2012

We just returned from a fantastic vacation at the Oasis Palm. This was our second time there with our kids and we all loved every minute of it! The service was excellent, upon check in our room was upgraded to one of the newer ones, with a gorgeous poolside view. The food was, once again, fresh, healthy and delicious. Great selection and attentive friendly waitstaff always at the ready with a bottle of very good Spanish wine.
The bar staff were friendly, though very busy, but still we never had to wait long for a drink. Also, once we got to know them and tipped every couple rounds, they broke out the good rum.
Kids Club was awesome!! The girls are great with the kids, it's clean, the pool is beautiful, in the eve they have a buffett dinner then disco or karaoke until 10. The kids loved it and it allowed my husband and I to have a couple kid free, quiet dinners.
The resort itself is very clean, with lush grounds, gorgeous trees and flowers, lovely artwork and lots of friendly helpful staff.
The spa was like paradise. Well worth the price!!
We tipped a lot, for each meal, for maid service, spa and bartenders, the staff were always very gracious and the maid service ladies took special care in lining up our kids toys, books and crafts, it was so nice.
We rented a room safe and had no issues. We left bags on deck chairs, and had no issue with that either.
All in all it was a perfect, relaxing and fun vacation, we were sad to leave but will definitely be back next year.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Guest093
Reviewed 24 March 2012

We stayed at this resort March 3-10, 2012. We paid $1300/pp all inclusive and were glad it was not more than that. This was my first all inclusive vacation, so I did not have anything to compare it to, and was just happy to be out of Canada for a week! My boyfriend has been to several all inclusive resorts and was not happy with this one right from the get-go.

Transfers to and from the resort were included, no major issues, except a little confusion with leaving the resort. Had I not gone outside and spoken with concierge, a couple of times, we likely would've missed our shuttle because nothing was organized. We kinda had to argue to even get into a shuttle.

Food was a lot of the same every day. My boyfriend doesn't eat seafood, which they served a lot of, so he had a harder time finding things to eat than I did. After a few days though, it got a little boring. The a la cartes were nothing to write home about either.

Our room was always cleaned well daily, but initially smelled damp and musty. The beds were extremely uncomfortable. The last few nights we just tossed and turned, we slept better during the day down by the pool. Our room had no fridge, coffee maker or ALARM CLOCK. When we spoke to our Sunwing rep about this, he just told us to ask for a wake up call (not the answer we were really looking for). We got the call, but it was difficult to even get to the right person. There is no directory in the room, so I just had to make a few calls, as I kept being redirected.

We rented the lock for our safe, which we thought was a total necessary evil, at $4/day. Not a huge deal, but a total cash grab. We speculated at how secure the safe was, but also had no issues with theft, thankfully.

We were up by 6:30 every day, which was good to get prime seating at the pool and in the restaurant for breakfast before the rush. It was a busy resort, and no, the customer service was not great or overly friendly. A bartender scolded me for not trying to speak Spanish to him, then a couple of days later, when I ordered from another bartender in Spanish (I asked for 3 drinks), she kind of made me feel dumb when she replied in English and said, "So you want 3 then??" This was my first time in a Spanish speaking country, I knew no Spanish, and after those encounters, I just quit trying to use the little I had learned.

Another positive to rising early every day was that we were in bed fairly early every night. This was not really intentional, but like other reviewers said, there was no entertainment on the resort in the evening. After we ate dinner, we were always kind of at a loss for things to do, which felt odd to us. We definitely spent more time in our room than we had expected to.

Our Sunwing rep told us not to go downtown. We went anyways, because we're like little kids being told not to touch the hot stove. We had no issues. We just used common sense, stayed in a group (4 of us went), and we went during the day, not at night. Souveniers and everything else were much cheaper downtown than they were on the tourist strip. We were also treated a lot better by the vendors. In the touristy part, the vendors were quite rude to us, especially if we showed interest in something, then did not buy it. Things were expensive, and we were called "cheap" and "[--]" for bartering or not buying. We had also gone downtown on our first day, so we did have a pricemark to compare it to.

We took transit, and suggest doing the same, however PAY WITH PESOS OR $1 US!!! Being confused in the beginning of the week with the currency exchange, I paid for 2 of us to get on the bus with $20 US. I did not realize how badly I got ripped off until I later bought 2 coffees with $20 US and got the proper change back. The bus driver ripped me off about $15 US, and I was even waiting to get more change back, and when I did not, I just sat down. We paid with exact change every time after that (17 PESOS for 2 people).

If you can book your excursions in advance or online, DO IT! We would've saved $70 on one excursion if we had booked online, as opposed to through our Sunwing rep. On our next trip, we plan to book all our excursions in advance when we book. The savings add up quickly.

IF YOU DO NOT DRINK, BE CAREFUL!!! I know, I know, how do you NOT drink on an all inclusive, right?? Well, not everyone drinks!! I am 5 years sober, and for good reasons that I'm not going to elaborate on. I was very specific when ordering my drinks, saying "virgin" or "NO alcohol". 4 times I was served drinks with alcohol in them, and 1 of those times I had only ordered WATER!! 2 of the times I was able to catch it before I drank it (the water incident being 1 of them), but 2 other times I was not so lucky, and 1 of those times I even watched him make my drink. Some of their booze is on the gun, not coming from a bottle. And after 5 years without alcohol, I could feel it halfway through my drink that there was indeed alcohol in it. With all the sugary cocktails that can be made with or without alcohol, you often can't tell the difference until you are already into it. I blame these mistakes on a couple of things - the staff just not caring enough, and just not believing me. I think they are so used to seeing people on a bender, that when I ordered without booze, they thought I was being sarcastic, even though I would REPEATEDLY say "no alcohol". I was quite disappointed by this. Had I not been so set on staying sober, this could've been a great opportunity for me to relapse and blame it on someone else. If you have struggled with addiction in the past, or know someone who has/is, then you can understand where I'm coming from.

They have people in the lobby to recruite people to attend timeshare-type presentations!! We were harassed several times in the same day by the same woman, until we finally agreed to go. We got 500 PESOS for it, which we used to pay for our lock "rental". We did not want to go, but we couldn't seem to get out of it. The final guy that came over to try to sell it to us too was kind of a jerk. Ignore them.

We did not upgrade, we refused to pay more than what we had already paid. Our room was on the 8th floor, we had no problems, other than, as others mentioned, this place is not soundproofed at all!

We don't have children, and on this vacation, I was quite glad that we didn't. We were more than happy to just lay around the pool all day, but if we had kids in tow, I don't even know how I would've kept them occupied all day. We wouldn't have been able to relax as much either around the pool, because we would've had to watch them like hawks to make sure they didn't drown. I think the lifeguard was there mainly for show, and to keep people from coming into the pool with footwear on, or sand from the beach. I like kids, don't get me wrong, but there just wasn't tons to do at this resort.

Also, as others had said about 3 different people coming into the rooms, this is correct. We also had the do not disturb sign on our door one day when they came to bring strawberries to our room, which they completely ignored. They didn't just walk in, but they did knock a couple of times. The fruit delivered to the room every day was a nice touch though.

I'm sorry this was so long-winded, but hopefully it is helpful! We still had a good time, but we would not return or recommend this resort to others.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LittleJacquelina
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
4.2 km away
9.9 km away
GR Solaris Cancun
GR Solaris Cancun
#34 of 176 in Cancun

Been to Oasis Palm? Share your experiences!