All reviews convenience store next door great hotel for the price place to sleep free breakfast isla mujeres bus stop wi fi cereal lagoon mattresses nightlife
Reviewed February 10, 2016

Dirty rooms, weak internet signal, horrible food and terrible attitude from the staff are the least of your concerns if you happen to book this hotel. The rooms are plagued with bedbugs and mold, which make us leave in the middle of the night to sleep on a friend's boat moored in a nearby marina. On a positive note, there was a very cool street dog hanging out with us at the beach that day, not related to this hotel at all, but that was cool!

Room Tip: find another hotel
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed February 9, 2016 via mobile

Sotavento Hotel is a good choice if you want to stay just a few nights in Cancun's Hotel Zone. It offers nice, clean and well maintened rooms. Continental breakfast is fine, however it would be nice if fresh fruits would be served. The bar in the hotel claims to offer discounted drinks during the happy hour, but its choice is limited to Margherita and local beer. The WIFI in the rooms works really slow, but the speed is OK at the bar and in the lobby. Despite numerous attempts of the staff, the swimming pool is full of leaves falling from the palm trees. Above mentioned inconveniences didn't ruin our short stay (3 nights), but could be severe if we would choose this hotel for two weekend of holidays.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed February 6, 2016

Don't do it; just stay elsewhere. This place is a dump, and the stench of mould will keep you up all night; if you can even stay. We didn't, and bailed to another hotel down the road once we realized there was no way we'd ever get to sleep with our noses and sinuses burning from the smell of mould. Should be bulldozed and rebuilt.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2016

Honestly, I tried - it looked okay and clean, we were not in the room that long, since mostly gone through the day. But it was while sleeping through the night, that I couldn't take the moldy/musty smell anymore. I was coughing and needing to blow nose getting so congested. It was the place that the free vacation to Cancun provided, so thank God I did not lose my money, by leaving early. Although a disappointment, the front desk clerk was very helpful in making a parking space for me, before I even checked in. The A/C did work for us and bottle water is provided each day. The garden walk to the swimming pool is beautifully landscaped and if you do forget to bring a washcloth, you can ask for a short towel and you should be given our hand towels in order to wash your body. I did not see any mold it just simply smelled like it and if you have an allergy to mold it will be bad for you, otherwise your night's stay should be okay. My key for safe in the room worked fine. I had to put up a $20 key return deposit. At the far end of hotel zone and on the lagoon side. Good hot water pressure.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed February 2, 2016

Cons: This is a small, out of the way hotel that is covered in large, beautiful by tropical plants and flowers. It is across the street from the major hotels but you wont even fell like you are in the hotel zone. It feels more like the deep Mayan Rivera areas of the jungle once inside the property. The restaurant offers another surprise because it is on a marina with beautiful yachts. You can walk 20 feet and be on the bay peering into crystal clear water. The hotel is compact and I will go back with my family. Walk one block and find the bus to anywhere in Cancun for under $1.00. Just down the road is the Jolly Roger and Captain Hooks pirate show as well as the Dancer Day Cruise to Isla Mujeres. If you are on a budget and want a clean, interesting place to stay, this is it.
Cons: The bed is rock hard. I would recommend taking a roll up egg crate mattress if you don't like hard beds. The hotel is very pretty but just a bit dated. The mirror is weathered in the bathroom and a little mold was above the shower. I never used my AC because I was on the 2nd floor and left my windows open all night to feel the breeze.
Overall: I will go back here again. Resorts across the road run $500 a night and this hotel is only around $50 per night. My favorite part was the restaurant where I could sit by the water and pool and watch the boats in the lagoon. FREE Wifi everywhere except my room. Wifi worked fine. Employees very friendly. Grounds were meticulously neat an clean.

Room Tip: Get up close by the office or pool if you have luggage.
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled solo