“ME may not be YOU... but then maybe it IS!”
Review of ME Cancun

ME Cancun
Ranked #38 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Toronto
“ME may not be YOU... but then maybe it IS!”
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Booking the ME, relying on tripadvisor (as usual) was a nerve-challenging experience.
The reviews here are mixed, there is a strong leaning to the positive, but those that are bad are REALLY bad, and quite specific.
Those that are good tend to favour generalizations ("best ever").
I now understand this 'great divide'.
What I would like to do is break it down from my perspective and thus my title for this review and the ME really may not be YOU.
First let me address some of the negatives because they were - largely - correct.
Yes, the noise from the corridor is really quite extraordinary. You can hear BREATHING (as well as entire conversations).
If you are a light sleeper and frustrated by that, then this resort may well not be for you. (On top of the noise from the corridor, there is the loud dance music from the disco below - if you are on the ocean side).
The elevators are also 'challenging'... As you may have seen in other reviews, they were out of service for weeks and while now back in service, they are still a bit hit and miss, so you might face a wait (and stops at EVERY floor, for no apparent reason).
The music is constant... and everywhere, on the beach, by the pools and in all public spaces (including the elevators!).
If, like me and my partner and friend (who was traveling with us) you like that, then it's a good thing.. you really feel like you are on vacation in a place that is plying you with non stop music )and drinks!)
If you find low (and sometimes loud) constant dance/trance annoying... then you will be pulling out your hair (it's inescapable).
And that 'vibe' gets to the root of my 'perhaps not for YOU' assessment.
This is a very trendy and mostly 20/30 something place (we're older, mid-forties, and if you have a younger attitude it's fine... but if you crave and 'older' or more 'mature' environment, please be warned).
The ME is, palpably, a place for people who ARE cool, WANT to be cool (or at least SEEN to be cool).
I don't consider myself 'cool', but I do like a good 'vibe' and the ME definitely has that.
This is a place for the Club crowd. Think the 'W' hotel brigade, or the 'Metropolitan Hotel/Met Bar' in London... The place is a great space (converted from an older resort, post hurricane). There's a really good sense of design and space and lighting. It deserves its tripadvisor ranking as the 'trendiest' hotel in Mexico.
The rooms have a spa feeling. I have seen reviews that the bathrooms are too small, but give me a break... it's a resort, the bathrooms are very sleek (and clean) with great rainshowers (and room for two)... and quality Aveda products. But, yes, they are not the size of a 'his and hers' bathroom in an oversized midwestern suburban house of horror!
The beds are very comfortable (not quite Westin, but definitely at the better end of the hotel scale) and there is space to spread out, including a comfy little lounge.
The infinity pool and beach area and main pool are all wonderful.
The 'water ritual' is a bit of a joke (just high pressure water to sit under, a'la a waterfall... not bad, just not a surprise that it's "included at no charge"... it would be hard to put guards on a part of the pool that just happens to have some water spurting out of a few walls!).
There is lots of poolside and beach seating, including lounges and beach beds which are a great, really great, way to experience Cancun's main beach.
And then, as you see in the reviews, there are the BALI beds. I like to think of them as 'the controversial Bali beds' (since they have generated so many comments on tripadvisor).
Again, to the naysayers, GET OVER IT!
They are fantatic and wonderful value... and quite decadent!
Yes, you DO pay extra (officially $40 per day - except for weekends - but they seemed to generally go for $30 per day, and at check in we got some vouchers that took that down to $10)...
You pay extra because it is an EXTRAordinary experience, and sheer luxury, at a bargain price!
They come with bedside food and drinks service and are a stunning way to chill and enjoy the sea and sun (and music!).
Look at it this way. If you don't want to pay, there are lots of decent options, poolside and on the beach.
If you are prepared to pay a little then it's a wonderful extra... and well worth it (we ended up using them four out of our seven days).
Finally, on the negative review front is the drill of signing after your eat or order a drink.
To be honest, when I first confronted it I was a bit taken aback (despite the warnings from fellow travelers).
The key problem is that you find yourself confronted by a bill with a total amount in pesos, a 'comparison' amount in $US and lines for 'tip' and 'total'.
There was also a clear line saying 'no charge' but, despite this, the psychology of good bill etiquette kicks in and you find yourself wondering "am I really expected to tip 20% on all of this?" (if so, this was starting to feel like it was going to be a VERY costly 'all inclusive'!).
I am not sure what the correct etiquette actually is, but we soon settled into a routine of just marking the checks up with a zero on the tip line and then leaving tips in cash (we usually tipped around 10%, sometimes a bit more, sometimes less, and we had great service throughout).
The bottom line, I understand why it makes people unhappy and, frankly, I wish they did away with it... That said, it's not the 'horror' that it seems to be billed as in some of these reviews.
Okay - so there you have my take on the negative reviews... They are accurate but, in my estimation, misleading.
They don't take into account that this really is a quite wonderful resort property, perfectly located if you are seeking a Cancun experience and with a sense of luxury and decadence that holds its own with the best and trendiest out there.
It really has some quite stunning attributes and you definitely feel you are here for a great time.
I won't dwell on the food, there are so many others who have complimented it, deservedly so.. The standout restaurant is Silk, especially the teppanyaki grill.. but, frankly, all of the restaurants and menus were terrific, especially by all-inclusive standards.
And, finally, talking of 'standouts' I have to end this review by giving a 'shoutout' to the quality of the staff. They were consistently wonderful, often outstanding... From Edwardo at the front desk, Elsie at the 'pool concierge' desk to Eddie at the infinity pool (and many more we could name).
To the people who made negative comments about the staff here, I have to wonder if you should be taking a long hard look in the mirror... and especially at your own behavior.
I simply can't believe such wonderful, friendly, professional and caring people would treat anyone badly... unless... well, I'll leave it at that.
I think that's an appropriate wrap for my review.. Before booking the ME, think about yourself and what you are looking for.
If you want very quiet, I'd suggest it's not the place.
If you are looking for the 'form a conga line' type entertainment, then definitely give it a miss (PLEASE - for everyone's sake).
But if you are looking for cool and trendy with a 'party/dance' soul (and first class taste) then maybe ME really is for YOU!

Room Tip: Definitely go for a sea view, and follow the advice of other travelers and try (unlike me) to get a...
25 Thank trinations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,201)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Very noisy, impossible to sleep before 3 am. Very bad service, staff always looking for tips. Elevators out of order, 1 in 2, take 10 mn to reach your room. Broken light bulbs in the room. Very poor food, especially for lunch. Staff do not take care of your comments made on reservation. Trivial decoration. Very expensive. Look like an average London hotel but twice the price and half the service. Music is everywhere but very bad kind of Grammy Awards, a bit old fashioned.

3 Thank david c
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Think of ME Cancun more like a frat house than a resort. From the road, it may look grand and nice, but once inside, much of the resort has fallen into disrepair. The elevators were horrendously slow, making wait times of 15min common trying to get to your room on the 11th floor. The customer service was poor. I typically receive better hospitality at Ramada Inn's or Holiday Inn Express when I travel for work. Don't be fooled by the beach chairs and lounges on the web site. You typically have to pay ~$30-50/day for the prime locations, even though this is an "all inclusive resort." If you attempt to get a beach chair that you don't pay extra for, be prepared to "claim" the chair at least by 8:30am every morning. The "free wifi" is slower than 56k dial-up was 15yrs ago. The nightlife for a place that prides themselves on younger people entertainment was poor. On a positive note, housekeeping was very good as were most of the dinners included in the package (but you have to schedule your dining times 2-3days in advanced). Overall, I would not stay here again.

3 Thank melitafarms
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 22 February 2012

This was our second visit to the Me by Melia in Cancun.

We stayed the week of February 11-18th 2012. The last time we stayed at the Me was exactly one year ago, so we had something to compare it to.

The Me can be a really good experience depending on which staff you're dealing with as we found that certain staff go out of their way to make you feel really welcome and special where others couldn't care less about you. I think this is the one issue that sways customer reviews. If I was approached with a friendly helpful attitude it would make me think twice whether or not they ran out of Corona light or that I had to use the stairs, but when you have staff not being cordial or evading questions it can put you in a foul mood.

Here are the things that we noticed from last year.

The food is just as good as last year but we did noticed some higher end items have been removed from the all inclusive menus, ie. coconut shrimp at lunch. The food at Silk was excellent, so much so we went back three times. The breakfast is the exact same as last year with the friendliest staff working. We ordered room service on multiple occasions and found that we never had to wait over the 30 minutes they informed us it would take, always on time, never a problem. Making dinner reso's was never a problem as we tend to take later times to eat, I can't figure who wants to go out for dinner at 6:00, I'm still on the beach at that time, but to each their own.

The Hotel and Grounds

Over all hotel was very clean, our room was always clean with no complaints of the house keeping. The safe had to be replaced because it wasn't working but considering the amount of people that use them it is bound to happen. The security quickly came to the room to fix the safe which they couldn't do so they replaced it, this all happened within 30 minutes, very fast.
The elevators were not working for a few days so we ended up using the service elevators along with the staff. After the first day we just took the stairs the rest of the week, no big deal for us but the front desk should have informed us when we first checked in. I could see where this was an issue with some guests, who wants to be hoofing it up seven flights three times a day. The staff told us that the elevators weren't working due to a lightning strike, which I don't believe for a minute. The elevators were spotty at best last year, always jerky and took so long to get to your floor, so I don't buy the lightning strike story for a minute.

Note to management: If you're making the guests take the stairs or service elevators make sure the stairwells are clean of litter, we saw the same bandaid and Q-tip three days in a row. It became a bit of a running joke for us.

Check in and check out was way faster this year, almost missed my shuttle last year, it took so long.

Pool and beach

Last year there was a major lack of loungers and chairs around the pool and beach and we were glad to see that they have fixed this problem. No need for the towel game in the morning.There were plenty of chairs this year even on the busiest days, no complaints here. The pool also seemed to be warmer, last year it was so cold no one went in.

Nightlife and Liquor

Last year the hotel had a party atmosphere in the Rose bar every night, this year only on the week-end. I'm not quite sure why this was, we ended up going to other bars. The all-inclusive ends at midnight but we were able to keep drinking till 1:00 am with no charge and you could also order more drinks through room service if you wanted.

Staff

Here is the hotels biggest problem, some of their staff is so friendly and accommodating while others couldn't care less if you tipped them or not. We always make sure to be polite and friendly to all the staff, treat them with respect and not be rude and in return I expect the same. I understand if the hotel is under staffed and the servers are running their butts off, I can see that, being in the service industry I know what to look for.
When you rent the Bali beds on the beach you get faster service, don't have to look for chairs, although never a problem, get food service off the menu and generally get taken care of better. We found this to be true every day except for once when we were always waiting and looking for our server, food was taking forever and drinks never delivered. At one point I went to use the washroom and I saw a group of servers standing around and just talking. Another customer also noticed and went and complained and service sure seemed to pick up after that. Bali bed range from $35 a day to bottle service, depending on the day, so if I'm paying for the use of the bed and tipping you I do expect to get some service.

There were two outstanding servers through out the week, Enrique and Daniele. Enrique could get a job at any restaurant in the world if he wanted to, always on his game with a smile on his face and working long hours. Give this man a raise.

Over all we had a great time, some things need to be spruced up, some of the chairs are looking a little worn. We new what we were getting into when we arrived this year so no surprises with the bill signing or drink cut off times.
Would we book again, probably, but just for the week-end, a little too slow for us during the week.

Your stay is very dependent on who is taking care of you, get great server like Enrique and you'll overlook the small things.

5 Thank dalsforlife
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 22 February 2012

We stayed at this amazing hotel for 3 nights during our Mexican honeymoon. . This hotel made our first trip to Cancun extra special and we can't wait to return.

2 Thank fionamilles76
Philadelphia
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We spent five days at this property and were impressed by level of hospitality. Despite multiple inconveniences hotel staff managed to leave a good impression.
Positives: Location is walking distance from the mall. Sophisticated interior design. Five restaurants on the property, multiple sun bathing beds, very pleasant staff, great breakfast.
Negatives: Inefficient front desk, restaurants and kitchens can not keep up with crowd. Constantly staff trying to divert you from restaurant of your choice. Two elevators were not working. Cleaning staff was good, but they did not always had enough towels. Property lacks efficiency. Food was good, but nothing exciting.
We did enjoy our stay, but many deficiencies could be easily fixed with more workers and better scheduling at lunch time.

Room Tip: Approach housekeeping to clean your rooms early. Do not agree fro 1st offer of restaurant reservatio...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank BARON27
Collegeville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 February 2012

My husband and I went February 15-19th, 2012. This was our first time to this resort but our second time going to a Sol Melia resort. ME Resort is very nice and clean. You are definitely paying for quality. The food is fantastic! I am not a big meat eater and I found things to eat. My husband who eats anything was in heaven! Everything was very good and well prepared! The staff is very nice and helpful too. There are certain packages when booking your all inclusive package. Certain packages will give you more perks than the average package. I believe we had the average package and we were happy with it for the most part. When staying on the beach or near the pool, if you want to use the "huts" you have to pay extra. But if you have a "Level" package then you get everything including premium liquor and wine. We were happy with the options that came with our package and didn't feel the need to pay anything extra. This hotel looks very new and is well maintained. The one thing that needs to be better are the elevators, they take way too long. The check in was pretty smooth however, they show you around to everything when all you want to do is change and go to the beach/pool. I think the only important thing you need to know is to make your dinner reservations. At night time, I wish they had a DJ or a band every night on the outside deck that over looks the pool. There was a DJ on Thurs. evening and we had a lot of fun. We did not like the Rose Bar at all, it was all techno music. Our last night was on a Saturday and there was supposed to be a band on the deck, but they never played. First we were told they would be on at 10, then it was 11 then midnight and no band! So the night life at the resort could be better...but to go out for night isn't too far you can walk to places or take the shuttle to Coco Bongo. This resort is more for couples and groups, not for families with young children. Would we go back? Absolutely!

1 Thank meg329