“I LOVE ALLEGRO COZUMEL <3”
Review of Allegro Cozumel

Allegro Cozumel
Ranked #21 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Toronto, Canada
“I LOVE ALLEGRO COZUMEL <3”
Reviewed 8 March 2012

This year for my mom's 50th birthday, we decided to go someplace new and since we have never been to Mexico, we chose to go to Cozumel; what a BRILLIANT idea that was! To Mexico we travelled in a group of three; my mom, my dad and I! Our stay was from Feb. 24- March 2, 2012.

CHECK IN: Upon arrival, we were quickly greeted by the reception desk, we got our welcome cocktails, bracelets, room key and the safe key! It was all done super-fast and they were all so welcoming and soo nice!
ROOM: We stayed in 4233 on the second floor, so we had the roof made out of palm trees. Before coming to this resort, we had read that the roof leaks and it's so uncomfortable; DON'T LISTEN! Even though we hardly had any rain, at times it would drizzle and nothing happened, our room was waterproof! We had two queen sized beds and many people complained that they were hard, I found them to be super comfy, so I would never wake up in the middle of the night due to the fact that the beds were uncomfy. Upon arrival, we had three types of alcohol beverages standing on our bedside table given to us by Nolitours and a free gift. We had a little tv and there were only 3 English channels, but who cares, we didn't come to Cozumel to watch TV so that didn't bother us at all! There was a SUPER neat little bathroom and a big enough closet space to put your clothes on. The room was always SPOT ON clean; the maid did such an amazing job that we always left her tips. NOTE- if you want the maid to change your towel, leave it in the bathtub because there are so eco-friendly, therefore they won't wash it unless you want them too! Every morning we heard the birds that were singing on the roof and it was a splendid joy to wake up to they're music! We also had a hammock outside our room that was super convenient and super cool; never had one of those before! Many people complained that the rooms are out-dated and that's not true at all, in fact the room is exotic and cute!

FOOD: The buffet was MUCHO amazing!! There was a HUGE variety of food to choose from, such as during breakfast, they had a HUGE variety of juices to choose from! They always made omelettes and milkshakes, they had cereal, bunch of fruit, lots of bread, bacon, eggs, sausages, pancakes, french toast and soo much other food! Then for lunch, the buffet was near the beach which was super convenient and the food was amazing as well; hamburgers, nachos, meat, etc. For dinner, they always had different themes, so one night would be Mexican, Italian or whatever and once again, the food was amazing! Always something different to eat every night! The servers were so kind; they always had a smile on their faces and they treated you like royalty! We always left tips because it was hard not to! We also went to 2 a la carte restaurants; one was oriental and the other was Mexican. Both were AMAZING, the food was delicious and you were definitely NOT left hungry once you left!

BEACH: The beach was beyond our expectations! It had no rocks, just plain sand! If you have read any other reviews, many people say that there is snorkelling straight from the beach and that is true, there is snorkelling near the beach but to see bigger fish, you need to swim a little bit further, so near the buoys. If you want to be even more amazed, swim past the buoys even though they ask you not to and don’t go far, but near the piers you can see starfish and big fish; just be careful of all the oncoming traffic from the boats. I suggest you to bring your own snorkelling gear because many people complained that they only got it for an hour and the snorkelling is so incredible, that you need it for at least 2-3 hours! We have personally never seen such diversity of fish and plants all at once; on shore we saw stingrays, barracudas, manta rays and big fish!!

ENTERTAINMENT: If you are looking from A LOT of night life then Allegro Cozumel is not the place for you, but that does not mean there isn’t any night life! At 8:30 there would be the kids mini disco till 9, followed by some interesting show! I would recommend you to participate, get out on the stage because it’s lots of fun and you have a great time! The shows here very different from many resorts, like I have never seen a fire show or a lights show before which I found really cool! The show would go on till 10 and then if you like, you can hit the club till 1:30 or if not, then you can go to your room or take a walk on the beach! The day entertainment is AMAZING! There are morning stretches, then in the afternoon you can play a crazy game, learn how to speak Spanish, learn how to make towel art (super cool!), learn how to cook, make friendship bracelets, learn how to make cocktails. At 4, there is an intense game of volleyball happening and I suggest you going to play because that’s where you make new friends. The entertainment team was the BEST! Super friendly, extremely funny, outgoing, crazy; just not enough words to describe them! (Ivan, Ruben, Sonia, Irene <3)

BARS: Everyday, the bar is crazy filled with people asking for drinks! The bar tenders are very friendly and they make the best cocktails ever! TIP: Instead of going to the bar right near the beach, go to the one where you eat lunch because the line is SO much shorter!

EXCURSIONS: Cozumel is known for their amazing reefs, so we took two snorkelling excursions! The first one we had a little boat pick us up and it took us to three reefs, Skye, Colombia and one more (forgot the name!). Our tour guides, Josee and Santiago (I believe) were SUPER friendly, outgoing and they knew where to take you! We saw eels, lots of big fish, a turtle, but we had a little incident. My dad dove down and accidentally touched a stingray and the pain was BRUTAL, but our tour guides handled it so well, they didn’t panic even though they knew the pain is bad and they kept everyone smiling. We then had a little trip to the hospital, but the hospital fixed my dad up in 2 hours and we were free to go! For the 2 snorkelling excursion, we took the glass bottom boat ‘El Dorado’ to three reefs, Skye, Palancar and Colombia. Our tour guides, J.J and Ivan knew great places to swim and knew where the animals were hiding. We saw a SHARK, a stingray, a turtle, a HUGE eel, HUGE fish; it was just incredible! I thank all the tour guides that we had because our trip wouldn’t have been the same without them! I REALLY recommend you go with those two excursions because the tour guides are fantastic!

TIP: When sellers from town come to sell you stuff, don’t buy it because they charge quite a lot, unless you make a good deal, so best of all, take a taxi (16$ USD) to San Miguel (the main town) and shop in their local little stores! You can bargain great deals with them, as well as they have more stuff to offer for a great price!

OVERALL: We had such a fantastic time, we met lots of new people that will remain our friends for a long time, we met the NICEST staff ever, so friendly and always smiling! I would DEFINETLY return sometime soon because this week was SO memorable, no words to describe what I’m feeling!
I LOVE OCCIDENTAL ALLEGRO COZUMEL <3

Room Tip: Dislike noise? Ask for the bottom floor, but if you don't mind noise and there is NEVER any, ask...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Ksenia C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (903)
  • Polish first
St. Louis Missouri
Reviewed 8 March 2012

To the Allegro people and those who are thinking of visiting, I write to you this. We visited February 18th -25th 2012, as it was our second time to this resort, and received the utmost of care and love throughout once again. We'd like to thank Ivan Chan - Guest Services Manager for welcoming us so graciously, giving us lovely accommodations, and seeing to our every need :) Jorge Suaste, who serviced our room daily, always left it clean and fresh, and made us feel extra special with the most beautiful animal towel creations (one different every day) and went above and beyond to keep us comfortable. A special thanks to Victor working the services desk in the evening, and Alberto (day shift) who both helped us tremendously while dealing with an unpleasant and unexpected rental car issue. They helped rectify the situation and eased our minds throughout :) And of course - Sergio and Freddy - the daytime beach bartenders kept us happy daily as they whipped up the drink of the day. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Allegro - and we are sure to return next year! The grounds were beautiful. All staff were always willing and able to help and lend a hand. The beach is gorgeous and the snorkeling good right from the resort. The Pro Dive shop associated with the resort is professional, kind, and aim to please. They offer single tank dives and the boat leaves right from your dock with short boat rides to the most beautiful dive spots. Sandy, Amanda, Remco, and Pablo are fabulous! The iguannas, birds, crabs, and thatched roofs of all buildings make it a nature lovers haven :) And the hammocks on each rooms porch/balcony give it an extra plus! You might wish to bring a pair of ear plugs - as though they didn't bother me - the birds awake bright and early and start chirping. We truly had a lovely stay and will visit again on our next trip to Cozumel!

3 Thank Stlablu
Springfield, MA
Reviewed 8 March 2012

By far, the Allegro has one of the nicest, sandiest, and largest beaches we have seen at a Cozumel Resort! The water is clean, clear and beautiful.
The staff is great and is very attentive to all your needs. The grounds are pristine. The rooms are a bit on the small size and a little plain and outdated, but they are kept very clean with daily housekeeping. I am not certain if it makes a difference, but we did tip $3 USD daily during our stay. The multiple pools and the hot tub are very clean.
We were always able to get 2 chairs together on the beach or at one of the pools. As we are not super early risers and went to breakfast before claiming our loungers, we were never really able to get under a palapa/umbrella for the days we just did not want to bask in the sun, but can’t complain.
Take advantage of the free water activities that the hotel offers for its guests (we did snorkeling and kayaking, both excellente).
If we had one complaint, it would be that the bars should be staffed with more bartenders. At times, there would be extremely long waits in line and with only one bar open at a time. If you like your cocktails, bring larger cups for less frequent waits in the long lines (i.e. we brought a sleeve of “red solo cups” and others had their thermoses).
Food was very good for a buffet. Always a very good selection with a variety of healthier choices. I cannot rate the a la carte restaurants as we chose to leave the resort for dinner on the beach at Albertos.
Albertos! Mmmm …Absolutely FANTASTIC! Not too far from the Allegro. We took a cab for $7 USD each way. It is a local outdoor restaurant and bar directly on the beach with music and dancing and a very attentive staff. We had amazing fajitas and the to-die-for lobster tail. Seafood was fresh daily and a little pricey, but well worth it, in our opinion. I believe the fajitas and burritos and tacos and such all ranged around $10 USD. We had wine (very good in comparison to what they serve at the resort), margaritas (delicious), and Bud Light (my fiance was thrilled). Highly recommend checking out this place, especially at sunset!!
We love to get away in Feb/Mar to trade in cold weather and snow for sunshine, warmth and beautiful beaches. This trip was no exception and overall a great time. We would recommend the Allegro.

Room Tip: We upgraded to a "superior premium" room which put us really close to the beach with a sto...
1 Thank Justregularpeople
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Just got home last night from the Occidental Allegro, and what a vacation! 6 days of sun, fun, great service and food. We were in room 6512, opposite from the dive shop, behind the upgraded rooms. Perfect location to the beach! The resort is one of the smaller places we have stayed at, and enjoyed the fact we didn't have to spend our time schlepping all over the place for meals/beach.

CHECK IN: Smooth, met with a cocktail. Front desk speaks better English then I do. Arrived at 2pm, no wait for our room. Check out equally as smooth, cab stand across the street, $22 to the airport.

ROOM: Requested a bottom floor, as I got a new hip 6 weeks ago. ( I highly suggest rehab in the Carribbean! LOL) Usual hotel room size to American standards. Dated? A little, but immaculate! Maid service was top notch. We left $2 on the bed every day, and the room was spotless! They are eco-friendly, and policy states they will not give you new towels, etc. unless asked. We would leave our couple towels and the edge of the tub to be changed out, and ALWAYS had fresh. The mini-fridge was ALWAYS stocked with water, beer, pop, muchies, whatever we needed. Never a speck of sand. I have pictures, but you can look at the other TA members posted, as they are accurate. (Ignore the bad ones!) There was a closet area that was a perfect size for all our belongings to be kept out of the way. A small table and chairs in the room. (Perfect for us ladies to bring a chair to the vanity for make-up and hair!) AIR CONDO is the best in Cozumel! I read the reviews and brought a long sleeve shirt to sleep in, just in case. Glad I did! (NO ONE EVER complained about this!) You can adjust it to your liking, but I like to sleep in the cold, especially after the hot sun. The shower had a hand-held shower head, which ALWAYS excites me, as it gets the sand out of the cracks, if you will! A coffee maker with all the supplies you need was in the room, and a lovely little deck with 2 chairs, and table, and a hammock, which I enjoyed a little nap on one day! We never used the TV, we had our Kindles with downloaded shows, and our IPhone with music and a portable speaker we used in the room (as well as on the beach). The tub did have a tub insert, the caulking was new and white around the tube. Water pressure OK, it's not home. The only problem I had was the water temperature, which was resolved with an early start of the shower to get warm. The BED was the usual Mexican standard of hard, the foam was on when we arrived, and trust me...WE SLEPT.

We did meet many people who had rain from the thatched roof on the top floors. NOT ONE PERSON said they couldn't deal with it, just a few drops. Visually, these rooms did look bigger because of the roof. The birds equally woke us up on the bottom floor, we just didn't hear them land. More often then not, people thought it was more cute then annoying, not like HOME at all! Just relax, is all I can say, or request a bottom floor.

Since the resort is small, very easy to get around, I really can't say there was a bad location. It's set up like tiny apartment complexes, if you will. (Reminded me of Melrose Place, if anyone remembers that!) Everyone was friendly, with HOLA in the morning, and we knew our neighbors.

FOOD: Available ANYTIME. There was only one night that I did not enjoy, and it was Asian fair. I didn't go hungry, mind you, and hubby was absolutely fine. The food was always HOT, which has been my biggest complaint of all inclusives. Breakfast (per usual) was always the best meal, but I also like that meal the best of any generally speaking. Anything you could order off a menu in the States for breakfast is available. Dinner and lunch buffets with subtle changes daily. By far, NOT the most repetitious buffet I have ever been to. In the main buffet from 1030pm-130am is a taco bar, which we all enjoyed. We never made it to the Mexican ala carte (with regret, everyone we met enjoyed!). The front desk made an error with our reservations. They promptly asked us if we would like to go to the Oriental ala carte with a bottle of champagne, we accepted. (We're easy like that.) Everyone enjoyed the resturant and cleared their plates, however, we really didn't like it. BUT, when we do eat Chinese food, we're Almond Chicken/Egg Roll kind of people, and it isn't our favorite food generally speaking. The lunch buffet was equally as good, again, with little change ups. There was hamburgers (I suggest to avoid, this isn't McDonald's or your grill at home), the pizza was a little odd looking (again, this isn't Pizza Hut) hotdogs fine, chicken wings, nachos and cheese, and the french fries were pretty good. But, as stated, if you didn't want those types of fast food offerings (the kids really enjoyed the hot dogs), the buffett was available.

To sum up the food, if you go hungry, you had no business booking an all-inclusive in the 1st place. (Or, better yet, pay thousands of dollars more for surf and turf! It's available at the Occidental's Diamond Resort in Playa!)

BEACH: The BEST in Cozumel! Beautiful sand, well maintained lounge chairs, and snorkeling. This was our primary reason for choosing this resort. Always a chair available, though you did see some people playing what I like to call "the towel game", reserving their chairs never to be seen, which always angers me. I can see it in the morning if your coming down after breakfast, but when I don't see you ALL DAY, it's just plain rude. Snorkeling is OK off the beach, better of you go near the rocks straight out from the lifeguard stand, but great for beginners, we enjoyed it, too!

ANIMATION: We watched one show. Cute, audience was involved. That's all we watched.

DIVE SHOP: We booked snorkeling, but because of high winds, 2 trips were RESPONSIBLY cancelled. So, though I did not use them, the fact that they cared enough about their guests to keep them safe and to have a good experience, makes them top-notch in my book! (I did not have that same experience in the Florida Keys with an American company, which upset our friends we were introducing to the sport, and they NEVER wanted to go again.) DIvers we met spoke very highly of the outfit, and stated they would come back to the resort JUST for the dive shop.

FAMILY FRIENDLY RESORT: There were LOTS of kids. My husband and I have adult children (21/22/27), and usually attempt to avoid these types of places. That being said, I'm not forking out the cash to stay in an adult only resort, I'd rather take 2 trips for that price! I use TA, weed out the crazy reviews, and make my choice. I personally don't think a resort is a place for very little ones, and I don't see how we or my kids would really enjoy, but everyone is different. 12 yrs. and up, I could see. BUT...I truly had NO idea HOW MANY kids were there until I saw them at the buffet. The resort attempts to place the families near the kids pool and jungle gym area, and they all looked to be having a WONDERFUL time! Hubby and I had a couple conversations about enjoying our children and grandchildren here some day! (No grandbabies here YET!)

There we groups in there 20/30/40/50/60, and many people even older. If you have a bottom floor room, it is very disability friendly (I'm a ortho rehab nurse, so trust me!). Everyone seemed to be having an equally wonderful time!

POOLS: Kiddie pool in the front (I have to admit, I wanted to go down the slides!), then large adult pool, then activities pool by the beach. Being next to the activities pool, the entertainment NEVER kept us up, nor prevented a nap. The HOT TUB is a great place to meet people and chat about where you are from, seats about 20-25 people. We enjoyed it EVERY night! I didn't use the pools, but my husband said they were heated, which is bonus in the winter in Cozumel to my experience.

BARS: MY ONLY COMPLAINT ABOUT THIS RESORT AND I HOPE THEY READ IT, because EVERYONE stated this one thing alone would be the MAIN REASON they would NOT return. There was ALWAYS at least a 15 minute wait to be served at the beach and the activities pool, and an equal wait at the bar in the outdoor lunch buffet. There were NOT ENOUGH bartenders for the number of people at this resort, PERIOD. BRING YOUR BUBBA KEG, large insulated cup, whatever you call it, or you will be upset if this is a priority for you. We read the reviews and were prepared, and again, we still choose this resort and went with the flow. When things got a little slower in the evening, we were in the hot tub after sunset. $5 got our 20 drinks (we hung out with the most amazing group from IOWA) got delivered multiple times. Honestly, I would still go back, but I wasn't pounding drinks, either. Still, this issue should be resolved immediately. It didn't stop anyone from drinking, just over worked the 2 bartenders and made guests mad.

The Disco was SO much fun, playing lots of bad 80's music and disco, which we all loved dancing to! Some nights super crowded, the end of our stay, empty. There was a big shift in guests, and the whole reosrt atomosphere changed.

STAFF: According to Mexican Law, minimum wage is $3.70 A DAY! Please tip these very kind and hard working people. If you can afford a vacation in these tough times, you can afford an extra few bucks. No, tips are NOT required. But....you would NEVER get this service in the U.S., the smiles, my over easy eggs remembered in the morning, my Spanish coffee brought to me at dinner, without even asking. That's what my $1 at every meal got me. In turn, I have NEVER posted any of the usual complaints that I routinely see here on TA. I wish I cold remember all the names to thank people! I did speak to Alejandro, a young bartender about TA, and how he was repeatedly mentioned. He wanted the website to look, which I gave him. My point? These are just nice, hard working folks, doing a GREAT job, with the sometimes drunk, obnoxious, and at times, unforgiving and annoying general public for a very low wage. Your tip could make a diference in someone's life, literally.

SPA: On one of the cooler days, we decided to get a couples massage. 2 people, deep tissue $140. (Since we didn't do snorkeling.) Beautiful, relaxing, hubby complained I started to snore and wrecked his time!! LOL Life is too short not to do this ONCE in your life!

CAR RENTAL: Available at the hotel. The usual $100/24hrs., we have found the price to be the same at all resorts we've stayed. Per local recommendation, I would avoid Less Pay. We tried Isis, but received an email stating they were "booked". Hopefully, you're able to do this and see the rest of this amazing island, and spend the time at Coconuts. (Yeah, lunch is pricey, but where can you eat on a cliff overlooking the Carribbean sea?) Punta Sur...please make a point to visit. Absolutely amazing!

CABS: Called by the hotel for you. Negotiate prior to getting in at all times. The prices will change for going to the same places. Welcome to Mexico! We have found that to be the standard of practice in Cancun , Puerto Vallarta, Akumal, and Cozumel is no diffrent. I was told by the locals NOT to tip the cabbies. Well, if you load my luggage, I feel like I gotta give you something. Since playing the game with the fares, this is the one area I'm cheap with the tips!

If you are considering going to Mexico, think about Cozumel! You will LOVE the airport vs. that crazy Cancun! The island is beautiful, the people are kind, the area is safe! If I could also warn visitors about renting a Scooter/Moped. If your not downtown, visiting the other side of the island or Punta Sur, I'd say go for it! If you have any plans to visit town, I say YOUR NUTS, rent a car. One day, we went in to San Miquel, and 6 cruise ships were in port. I had never seen some many people in one small place in my life, and the taxi drivers are like I've never seen! We were in a car, and it's like a traffic rules went out the window! I just want you to be safe and home in one piece!

TO SUM IT UP: If (when) I return to Cozumel, WE WILL RETURN to the Occidental Allegro. Bring your friends, kids, parents, grandparents...it is a good time to have by all, and you can't beat the price!

Room Tip: FYI: 2 flights of stairs to the upper rooms, as well as the possibility of some rain drops.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank along0111
Aitkin, Minnesota
Reviewed 7 March 2012

The rooms were nice and clean. If you went hungry it is your own fault , lots of choices. The staff was great to help you with any thing and went out of their way to help and they were lots of fun. lots of activities to do. The nicest beach walks we have had. we were able to walk for miles in either direction. Alberto's bar was a 15 minute walk to the south and another walkup bar a 15 minute walk to the north with lots of small shops lots of fun!!! Rental car across the street worked out great or a taxi there all the time for a 10 minute ride to downtown.Its a 3 1/2 star but its nicer than some 4 1/2 stars I've stayed at. we stayed 11 wonderful days and will be returning soon. LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: choose a lower level room i think they would be quieter
Sayville, New York
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Paid to stay here for the day on a cruise stop.....Excellent!!!! Worth every penny! The staff was quite yet attentive to your needs...the other guests were also low key. The food drinks and beach accomodations were perfect. Have done many pit stops at other resorts...I plan on booking a week next year...was so relaxing...hated to leave....

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 6 March 2012

If you are looking for a great, relaxing vacation spot, beautiful beach and great food, this is a place to be. The resort is very clean, the staff friendly, the food phenomenal! Congrats to the Chef Constantin! The beach is absolutely amazing, never overcrowded, the water clear and calm, some of the most beautiful sunsets. The Dive Centre is great! The coral reef is just a few hundred meters away from the beach, a perfect place for snorkelling or diving. This is the first time we stayed at Allegro and we had an amazing vacation! This resort is perfect for families or a group of friends vacationing together, it's slightly remote from from the village of San Miguel,(18 usd cab ride each way) do not expect night-life, we would go to sleep quite early and enjoyed the whole day of activities.
There are only two remarks we have, the Spa treatments are overpriced and the rooms are quite dated and the beds uncomfortable. They were very clean, well maintained, but dated, especially bathrooms. We hope that the management will consider renovating the rooms soon, because with this being done, this place would be pure perfection!!!

Room Tip: It's perfect to have connecting rooms, we felt as we had an apartment for the whole family
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family