All reviews air conditioning ferry pier main plaza karaoke bar next door air consumption marine life walking distance night dive the ground floor san miguel other guests fish instructor certification tv plongee adapter
Reviewed February 16, 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for the week, booked through Expedia. However upon arrival was given a totally different (cheaper) room to what we booked. The staff couldn't provide the room in question as other guests were in it, however the did rectify a solution. The club at the end of the road kept us awake till 5am almost every night and the morning wake up call at 6am from the clock in the square.... sleep was something we didn't have a lot of. A great location however to reach everything, be prepared to be constantly hassled by the shops especially cruise ship days.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed January 26, 2017 via mobile

Room was quite small basic room. Only windows in the room was on hotel's hall so the room was dark and hot because no fresh air or light were coming from those inside windows. But the room was clean and cheap so value for money was okay. Location is good if you wan't to explore the city but it isn't for beach holiday.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2016

You know the adage ‘you get what you pay for’, well this was definitely the case with Agave Azul Divers. There was problem after problem after problem. We originally chose Agave Azul Divers due to their advertised price, $59 (1,062 pesos) for two tanks and equipment. We even asked the two people that went before how their experience was, and got rave reviews. Either we got the perfect storm, or this company simply isn’t very good.

Problem #1

We got to the marina and the boat wouldn’t start due to battery issues. This persisted long enough that the instructor called and went to pick up another captain. Before he finished this task the original boat started so we departed.

Problem #2

Before we left the marina, we had to return to the pier to fix the steering wheel. It needed oil to be pumped in for it to turn. This took another 10 minutes and the 8:30 am departure turned into 9:30 am.

Problem #3

Our divemaster wasn’t very good (Rodolfo). He rarely pointed out anything, went really slow even during sandy patches, and had worst air consumption than us despite being air guzzlers. At best the dive is ended based on him, and at worst he has no air to share in the case of an emergency.

Problem #4

There was a breakdown in communication in the middle of the dive that left us alone in the water. Our divemaster told us to stay put while he went to the instructor and two Discover divers. The instructor took over our dive and tried to show us something in a cave. However, he then reversed course quickly and disappeared. We weren’t sure if our divemaster was coming back or what to do. We lost sight so we waited a couple minutes before doing the safety stop by ourselves. Half way through we caught site of the instructor again, and continued the dive. In all fairness, he was a better guide and seemed to know the waters well.

Problem #5

Since our boat consisted of us and two Discover divers, our second dive site was selected based on their ability. With the exception of several large fish, there was little to see. The bottom was predominantly sand. Palancar Gardens was very nice, but the unknown second site was subpar. We discussed and were looking forward to Santa Rosa, but that did not occur.

Problem #6

On the way back to the Marina, the boat stopped. We had to wait over an hour for another boat to come to our rescue and pull us back to the Marina. Usually if you have two problems with a boat in the morning, you choose another boat for the day to prevent this type of thing from happening.

Problem #7

This wasn’t a problem for us as we got a ride back with the instructor, but apparently you may have to pay 100 pesos for a taxi back into town. I’m not sure if all companies have to abide by the taxi mafia, but it is something to consider for expenses.

Problem #7

This was a personal problem that originated from a two tank dive taking over 8.5 hours, and not only delayed our trip but ultimately cost us the equivalent of diving with the better dive shops. I was having my backpack repaired, and needed to pick it up before 4 pm when the shop closed. We got back at 4:15 pm, and the shop is also closed on Sundays. Therefore, instead of leaving Cozumel directly after diving, we were forced to stay two more nights.

Problem #8 Partially Avoided

When we were originally booking our dives, the instructor asked us if we minded diving with beginners. SAY NO! His definition of beginners is Discover divers. That will limit your dive, and I’m not sure it is even allowed by the different dive associations.

Assuming the boat gets fixed, there are no Discover divers, and you dive with the instructor (Bernardo), then it may be plausible to dive with Agave Azul Divers. Otherwise, spend your money elsewhere.

diytravelhq.com

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank diytravelhq
Reviewed May 3, 2016

A small hotel with very helpufl and kind staff. I had an issue with my flight and they did not have a problem changing my reservation. The hotel needs some maintenance, the AC works but is very noisy, however everything is very clean. The WiFi in the rooms is very weak but in the loby it´s OK. The location and the service makes it worth staying.
They offered a simple but good breakfast, cereal, coffee, toast. Enough to start your day.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed April 16, 2016 via mobile

I stayed at the Agave Azul for 2 nights and it was exactly what I was looking for. I wanted something centrally located at a great price and it was both. I booked through booking.com, my paperwork was there when I arrived and my room was ready. I had a very basic room but it had great AC and a TV. I would have rather had a fridge than a TV but maybe some of the other rooms had fridges. I had a private balcony which was very nice, I had some laundry that needed drying and the balcony railing was perfect for that as it faced the afternoon sun. The lady that checked me in was very nice, she gave me the wifi password and explained that there would be a new password the next day. It was fairly quiet during the day although I did wake up once during the night and heard bass coming from somewhere. I fell right back asleep though so it wasn't a problem. There are water bottles in the hallway so you can refill your own bottle, which I really liked. It's very close to the ferry terminal so you don't have so pay for a taxi. If you're looking for a cheap place to stay in San Miguel for a few days I would definitely recommend hotel agave azul. I would stay there again.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo