“Great diving, great people, at a great place”
Review of Blue XT Sea Diving

Blue XT Sea Diving
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Founder, owner and Texas native Christi Courtney started Blue XT~Sea out of her island home, tooling around on a moped with a "Keep Austin Weird" sticker on the gas tank. With very little advertising and much goodwill, we grew to become one of Cozumel's best-loved dive operations. It wasn't just the famous surface-interval muffins and other snacks, it was the personal service that has set us apart from the very beginning. In October 2005, we purchased our second dive boat, Bandida II. Many of you know the story of how Wilma destroyed her before getting her launched - but we persisted and launched her in April 2006 and she operates alongside our original boat, Shamu providing greater choices and flexibility for our divers, snorkelers and guests.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Did four dives in two days with Blue XT-Sea at the Columbia 2x, Dalila, and San Francisco dive sites. There is plenty of life to see along the walls. All kinds of fish and coral formations that will blow your mind. Saw turtles and fairly large Nurse Sharks every dive. Pedro was our Dive Master and Mongo was our Boat Captain, they are simply the best. We were with a small group, and that is the way to go. Would highly recommend the Blue XT-Sea for anybody wishing to dive Cozumel.

1  Thank teedawgindahouse

Reviewed 15 July 2011

Great Dive Op – What else can I say. We always seek out small, more personalized dive ops for our dive trips. After quite a bit of research we decided on Blue XT Sea and are very pleased with their service.

The entire booking process was very easy and communication during the booking process was great. Christi and team even ensured that we got the chance to do our night dive.

Thanks to Pedro (DM) and Hector (captain) for several great days of diving. We could not have asked for a better operation to work with. It was wonderful that we were able to leave all of our gear (except wetsuit) with them each day after diving. They had it rinsed and set up for the next day’s diving when they picked us up at the pier at our hotel, the Aura. They were on time as promised…other than one day when tanks were late, but that affected ALL dive ops….not just Blue XT Sea. They operate two boats and we had a maximum of 6 divers on our boat “Shamu” with Pedro and Hector. This number of divers is perfect. You get to meet your fellow divers and the crew while avoiding the cattle car op’s. They have Steel 100’s (extra cost, by reservation) available for people like me who tend to suck air a bit, while the others still use AL 80’s which balances out bottom times well. Water entry is a back-roll off the side of the boat and entry into the boat is on a side ladder. You can take off your gear in the water to make entry easier if you choose.

Pedro was very good about pointing out various sea-life. All of the dives were great and it was a real treat that we got to do Maracaibo deep. Getting to dive Maracaibo deep is very dependent on the weather and currents, as well as having the blessing of your DM that you are capable of handling the depth and currents, so it was great that things aligned (weather and fellow divers) that allowed us to dive this site. They give quality dive briefings, let you dive your computer, and allow the divers to come up as they get low on air, versus requiring everyone to come up as a group.

Surface intervals are at a beach or pier depending on the weather and your dive sites. They have dry towels for you when you get out of the water as well as bottled water, juice and some kind of goodie and fruit for the surface interval. Goodies ranged from baked goods to packaged cookies. One day a couple of the ladies probably could have used the jackets for the rainy cloudy ride back to the pier…but not a major issue, they bundled up in towels.

We will absolutely be back to Cozumel and will dive with Blue XT Sea any time we are there!

2  Thank pcsanity
Reviewed 14 July 2011

I booked a dive with Christi at Blue XTSea because Scubatony was booked on the day I was to arrive from my Cruiseship in Cozumel and I made the $100 deposit she requested prior to our arrival to secure our place. I e-mailed Christi because she didn't give us a location to meet but I didn't hear back from her before I left for our vacation but I was not too concerned because I had the invoice which listed the address of Blue XTSea and I had Christi's phone number. The problem began when I arrived in Cozumel, first, Christi had moved some time back (I heard this from her neighbors when I went to the address listed on the invoice she provided me) and didn't bother changing the address on the invoice! Second, I attempted to call Christi several times (by borrowing a cell phone from a friendly local who was so kind as to let me use one) and there was no answer. My son and I were disappointed but I figured that at the very minimum when I returned home Christi would refund my deposit due to the circumstances. How wrong I was! I sent Christi an e-mail explaining this and I didn't as much as receive a reply back from her. Just take the money and run.
I would not know how the diving experience was, but from a business and customer service perspective I would caution anyone using this outfit. There are so many good and reputable dive services out there that will take care of you why go somewhere that will stiff you when THEY screw up and list the wrong address on their own invoice.

6  Thank FRCLAW
cozchristi, Owner at Blue XT Sea Diving, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2011

An unfortunate situation.

Six days prior to arrival in Cozumel, I received the guests reservation request and replied within three hours confirming availability, cost, deposit and confirmation procedures. At that time, I also informed him that meeting instructions would be provided upon receipt of his deposit and registration form. This is because I needed to confirm his ships actual arrival time, which often differs from ship time. I also needed to confirm which pier his ship would be docking as this determines where we have cruise ship passengers meet the boat.

At 1:45am the following morning, his deposit, reservation form and an e-mail asking where to meet the boat came in (I was sleeping). I replied that same afternoon with a confirmation that I had received his deposit and provided detailed instructions on where to meet the boat. If he did not receive my reply before he left on his cruise, it was not due to untimely responses from me. All of my replies to him were within hours, the longest reply time was 11 hours.

The morning of the dive, my crew, five other divers and myself were waiting at the designated location for the guest to arrive. We waited for 45 minutes beyond the scheduled departure even though I knew the ship had arrived and passengers had been disembarking for over an hour at that time. I received no phone calls from him on either phone line, nor on my cell phone where all calls are forwarded to if not answered within three rings. I attempted to call the cell phone number listed on his registration form, but received a message that he was out of network understandably, but I did also attempt to locate him.

While our primary client base is land based visitors, I strive hard to accommodate cruise ship passengers as well, which often requires me to delay our normal departure time, as in this case. I know that if they have a good experience and enjoy the island, they will be back either on another cruise or a land based visit. Our normal departure time of 8:00am was adjusted to a 9:15am departure in order to accommodate the cruise ships schedule. Additionally, due to the fact that the guest and his dive companion are new divers, I had a private divemaster on the boat for them (at no additional cost) so that they would have a safe and enjoyable experience. It should also be noted, that in almost ten years of being in business, I have never required cruise ship passengers to come to our office first because this would cause further delays in our departure time. For this reason, we select a close and convenient location for them to meet the boat, which was also explained in the e-mail to the guest.

I received the e-mail requesting a refund less than 24 hours before this negative review was posted, in which he did threaten to write a negative review if I did not refund his security deposit at once. Since reviews are not posted immediately, it is clear that this review had already been written and submitted before I even had an opportunity to discuss this with the guest.

Per my cancelation policy which was provided when his reservation was booked, no-shows are not eligible for a refund of the security deposit (for clarification, acknowledgement that cancelation policy on our website is read and understood is required to submit the online registration form). The purpose of the deposit is not to “take the money and run” as I was accused of, but is designed to cover expenses and lost revenue in the case of a no-show or last minute cancelation and is standard in this industry.

However, in good faith, I am more than happy to hold the guests deposit on file for a return trip for one year from the date of his original arrival date.

My apologies to the guest for feeling cheated, this was not my intention and is the first time this has happened in almost 10 years of being in business.

Reviewed 30 June 2011

I am a Divemaster and active diver for more than 20 years, as well as a licensed captain that owns and operates a charter fishing business stateside. A number of years ago we made our first trip to Cozumel and I did extensive research to find a dive operation that reflected the principals and ideals that I have with regard to operating a business. My criteria was (and is) Safety First. The highest priority must always be to insure that each guest is at all times safe, be it topside, or below the surface. Each captain and divemaster at Blue XT Sea takes this responsibility seriously, and I have always been impressed by the concern and awareness for the different comfort levels and abilities of divers on the trips.

Getting to the diving, Christi has a great team with years of local knowledge. Pedro, Mago, and the rest of the crew provide both experienced Cozumel divers, and new divers information and education about the diving locations. Unlike some shops that have DM's that hop from place to place, the long term employees of Blue XT Sea remain year after year, which creates great synergy, and depth to the company. Each divemaster has special skillsets, from finding particular critters, to the biology of critters, to reef knowledge that can only be gained from thousands of dives. I do not believe you can find a better group of local DM's on the island.

If you are an advanced diver, Blue XT Sea also has the ability to take you on advanced dives, such as to the Norther portion of the island. This is a rarity, and you must be first reviewed by the Blue XT Sea DM's to verify that your ability level is adequate for some of the more extreme current diving on the island. I have been fortunate enough to dive North a number of times, but it doesn't happen every trip as the weather and other divers have to be of the level that it can be done.

Blue XT Sea is a small, personal operation. I don't know of too many other businesses that become friends with their clients, even getting together with the divers on occasion to have dinner in the evenings. Diving with Blue XT Sea is diving with friends. All in all, I can highly recommend Blue XT Sea diving, and Christi, as a great company to spend time with while in Cozumel. I always look forward to me first day, with Pedro and Mago picking us up at our hotel dock.

2  Thank NaluCharters
Reviewed 30 June 2011

We are repeat customers year after year, and we still get superb service. Pedro, Mago and Miguel are some of, if not the best at what they do on the entire island. Christi runs a great business, and definitely goes above and beyond. She has fast boats that will take you wherever you wish to go, they offer juice and snacks, and store and wash your gear. They are not the cheapest in Cozumel, but I feel they are the best. I always feel safe and comfortable with them, and that's something you cannot put a price on. I will continue to pay a few dollars more for far better service with Blue XT-Sea.

2  Thank Trishluvscoz