“This Place has it all!! Great Diving Experience”
Review of Safari Inn

Safari Inn
Ranked #39 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 28 April 2011

I had the pleasure to to stay at the Safari Inn and enjoy the 5 day two tank dive package and was very pleased with the whole experience. I booked the trip very last minute and it was made easy thanks to Donna whom was extremely prompt responding to my emails even at 7am, Donna not only manages the dive shop but also handles reservations and every other detail you could need. She confirmed my room, directed me on the best way to get to resort and most affordable and provided me with all the answers to any questions I had. Thanks Donna you really made things easy and customer service skills are unparalled.
The room I had was huge, Large comfortable king bed, large shower great hot water and maid service everyday. Fresh bottled water was supplied everyday to the room. The dive masters are upbeat, fun and like what they do and it shows. The diving was breathtaking and the Corals are abundant with life. Different locations are sought out daily which makes for a new expereince almost every dive. Fresh fruits are served in between dives and plently of drinks and water are served on boat. Conversation is abundant on the boats which adds to the experience and knowledge i gained from divers all over the world.
That time went too fast is a testament to the great experience. I was a single traveler and the location of the resort couldn't have been better. I was steps away from restaurants, medical, gym, groceries and didn't need a taxi for anything. A nice light breakfast and then steps to the dock and boat every morning.
If you are going to dive specifically solo or with a bunch of friends then this place should not be overlooked. All round great job done by Safari Inn!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank SmoothsailingOntario

Reviewed 9 January 2011

I spent two weeks at the Safari Inn above the Aqua Safari. Budget hotel is great. Within walking distance to pretty much everything in San Miguel. Huge room. No TV so no stess from watching American news channels. Friendly staff and management. Great dive package.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank Sunny DD
Reviewed 17 September 2010

Over several years I have stayed here on many occasions, typically for 4 to 7 nights per stay. I am a diver. I love Aqua Safari dive operation--friendly, safe, knowledgeable, the captains ( George and Chivo are the ones I have gone with) are superb; the Divemasters (Chino, Polo, Roger, Walter, Miguel, Impidio.....all of them are GREAT). The staff at the store--all great! A very efficient operation. The rooms are basic, very clean, A/C,plenty of hot water, huge showers, tile everywhere. I have tried many "budget" hotels on the Island and this is really one of my favorites. I wish the rooms had small refrigerators, that is my only wish--but clearly I can do without since I keep coming back. Being right above the Dive Shop is very convenient. Being right in town is excellent. I am not a fan of all-inclusive and big hotel chains. I don't like to stay far from the bustle in a gringo enclave and eat the same type of food every day. For the price, you will not find anything better than the Safari Inn. And you won't find a better Dive Operator.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank wrassetifarian
Reviewed 28 August 2010

Usually when I come to Cozumel (this was my 5th or 6th time), I stay at Casa Del Mar and dive with Del Mar Aquatics, but this time I wanted to cut costs by staying in town instead of doing the all-inclusive thing or paying for taxis all the time. Aqua Safari has a good reputation, so I decided to go with them and stay at the Inn above the dive shop.

I flew in Cancun on Jet Blue to save money since I have more time than money. I took the ADO bus to Playa del Carmen and the ferry to Cozumel. From the ferry, I walked to the hotel, which is NOT 2 short blocks as someone said in a previous review. It's more like six blocks in the hot blazing sun, and shlepping a suitcase, it seemed longer. But I'm not complaining. I saved a lot of money.

I was greeted by Dahlia, the sweetheart who works for the hotel and dive shop (Aqua Safari). I got checked in and she helped me carry my luggage up the two flights to my room. There is no bell boy or anything like that. This is a very basic hotel.

The A/C does work great. You have to use the controller to get it to do anything. I kept my shades drawn the whole time. If you open the wooden shades, you're also opening the windows, and it's hot and humid in the summer.

I had room #9 on the 3rd floor. No view, but when I open my door, I see the ocean and the Aqua Safari Pier. There's often a Pellican perched on the arch that says Aqua Safari out on the pier.

The Wi-Fi (free) in my room worked great. Better than at home. Don't forget to bring a 3-prong converter!! I forgot and Dahlia lent me one from the dive shop.

The couch in the room could use a cleaning or a new slipcover, but I used it more for storage than anything. There were two plastic patio chairs in the room to drape wet stuff. I kept most of my stuff in the dive shop to dry overnight.

The showers were great, there was adequate light, the room was big, the bed very comfortable. Feels like a foam bed. The room was kept clean. No bugs of any kind. The room was kept clean. No bugs of any kind. My only complaint about the room is that when I came back after a day of diving, it had an unpleasant smell for a while. Not sure why. Maybe it was the cleaning solution used. But it didn't bother me much and I didn't notice it after I turned on the A/C.

The maid left towel animals every day on my bed. The people who run the place, Bill, Donna, Teresa, and Dahlia and all very nice, helpful, and friendly. I' was very comfortable here at Safari Inn during my 10 day stay. Being in town, it can be a little noisy. Things close up early, so that helps. I use Hearos foam ear plugs when I'm home. So I brought those along and had no trouble with A/C noise or otherwise.

Unlike other hotels on the island, Safari Inn has no restaurant. El Coffee on Calle 3, just off the main drag, has decent coffee. They open at 7. I would have yogurt and coffee to go for $4 USD and head back to my room to get ready to go diving. If I was doing the afternoon dive, I'd only have about a half hour to grab something to eat, so I'd go to Chi (also on Calle 3 and get an spring roll to go. They serve fruit on the boat after the first dive, so the spring roll would tide me over.

At 4:30 or so when we returned from the afternoon dive, I'd do some photo editing in my room for a while and then try one of the many local restaurants. Some of my favorites were Albino's (20th Ave. btw Calle 10-12), La Choza (10th Ave btw. Rosado Salas& Calle 3) , El Foco (5th Ave. btw. Calle 1 and Salas I think) and Los Gatitos (Calle 7 btw 10 & 15 Ave). You can find whole lists of restaurants on the internet. I would pour over my lists and make my choice every day.

On the days that I didn't do the afternoon dive, I would try on of the Loncherias. Sabores on 5th Ave btw. 3 and Salas had a great lunch for only about $6. Their guacamole is very good. Someone wrote that no English is spoken there, but, in fact, there's a guy who runs the place now who speaks English. He also runs the Hamburger House across the Street. I would have them pack up my lunch and I'd take it home.

I really like diving with Aqua Safari, too. They run a tight ship and know what they're doing. I never got to try the "fast boat," the Belinda, because while I was here, there were only enough people to fill one boat. I wasn't disappointed. I saved money. The Belinda costs extra. One morning they had two boats and I was asked if I wanted to join the group going to Punta Sur. Hell yes. Why not? Not a lot to see, but a nice experience even though it wasn't my first time.

I dove with all the dive masters in the 8 days I dove. Chino was my favorite. But I hear he's everyone's favorite. Mariano was also great, but I did 2 dives alone with him for lack of other divers, so I had the full benefit of his expertise. They're all good. There are a couple who are maybe a little less enthusiastic about helping us find stuff, but when I asked them to be more proactive, they responded. So, I really can't complain.

All in all, I had the most wonderful 10 days in Cozumel at the Safari Inn diving with Aqua Safari and I can't imagine staying anywhere else the next time.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
8  Thank Msyentah
Reviewed 26 August 2010

This hotel is basic but very clean and comfortable. We have for the past few years taken the ocean front room just above the dive shop and our friends in the second ocean front room above us. Great view and I prefer our room over the one above because the balcony railing is more open. We have never had a bad stay here and the dive operation is tops. Once the dive masters get to know you and can trust you the freedom is there to take not to abuse. The staff is extremely friendly and very helpful the one complainte I had 2 years ago concerning some rather noisy roomies next door was handled and resolved by Bill quickly. Will stay there again for every trip to Cozumel.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shygirlSterling_NY
Reviewed 12 August 2010

Rooms are extremly clean,super bed and air conditioning that will freeze you out.Bill and Donna are great people and run a top notch dive shop.The crew and divemasters are friendly and knowledgable.If diving is why your going to cozumel than this is the place for you.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2009

We stayed 3 nights in the Safari Inn in June of 2008 and have nothing but positive things to say about our experience. Our room was probably the cleanest hotel room I've ever been in, the beds were fantastic, and the price was definitely right! (less than $50 per night). Safari Inn is located within walking distance of outstanding restaurants and any shopping you might need to do. Hotel staff was friendly and accommodating. We do not dive, but many divers use this hotel and the attached dive shop is one of the most reputable in Cozumel.

If you are looking for a clean, comfortable place to rest your weary bones after a day of exploring or diving that won't break the bank, Safari Inn is definitely the way to go.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple