US$226
Allegro Cozumel(Cozumel)
US$146
US$120
  • Pool
El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel(Cozumel)(Great Value!)
US$137
US$69
US$171
US$145
US$117
  • Pool
Casa Mexicana Cozumel(Cozumel)(Great Value!)
US$60
US$58
Hotels.com
Playa Azul(Cozumel)
US$175
US$169
Sunscape Sabor Cozumel(Cozumel)(Great Value!)
US$144
US$134
Priceline
4,740 results
All reviewstime sharethe caribbean restaurantbikini barcoconut grouperokie dokiesmall beachnachosinfinity poolmexican and italian restaurantsbeach areasnack barhot watermake reservationsocean viewmain poolper daycruise ship
Reviewed February 14, 2018

I spent the first week of February at this resort. I will start with the positives as there are few. The weather was great, sunny and a welcomed break from the cold weather. Cozumel is beautiful and I met some wonderful people who I now call friends.

Important to note is this resort offers a membership, it works much like a time share and those who are members have gold bands/brackets. Those of us that book through a travel website have green bands. There are red bands for those who own another type of time share. I am not sure what the blue bands mean. You learn quickly that to be treated human and to receive the service you would expect at any 5 star hotel (which this is not) you need to have a gold or red band. Anyone else is treated like the bottom of the barrel. My sister is a member and I could have booked using the friends and family membership however I opted to book online as I thought I found a good deal. What I did not realize was how much weight is put on that gold band!!!

The food is ok. Nothing special and you get tired of eating the same thing as there is not a lot of variety. The beach is more of a lagoon. It is small and very rocky. You need water shoes and very stable legs. I watched many people slip, or get hurt by a rock and even bit by a sea urchin! The lagoon is small and you share it with many fish, a lot of rocks, urchins, and pelicans that are on stand by looking for fish and will swoop down into the water while you are in it to grab a fish to eat. This is not a place to go if you like to lay by a sandy long beach or go for a leisurely swim. Most people come here to go diving.

When I booked my stay I told my travel agent I wanted a room near the lobby on the ground floor and if I was not on the ground floor I requested a room near the elevator. What I got was a room by the theatre, furthest away from the lobby on the ground floor next to a service elevator (the elevator to no where). At night I had the noise of the theatre and in the morning I woke up to the noise of carts going by and people talking by the elevator. I spoke to the front desk and was told they had no rooms available and I would have to wait 2 days to be moved to a room closer to the lobby. In those two days my room was not cleaned despite the numerous calls I made. The room they moved me to the shower would flood everytime I used it. I would use all the towels I had to soak up the water and then the towels would not be replaced the next day. The water bottles were not replaced although they have a sign in the room that states 2 bottles will be left a day. I then discovered the new room did not have a phone in it! I walked to the lobby up the steep stair case (not sure why anyone thought that was a good lay out for a resort) and let one of the managers know. He said they would have it fixed right away. I even spoke to Pedro the general manager as I was introduced to him by a long time guest. Pedro seemed unconcerned and rushed as I quickly gave him a overview of my experience at the resort. He said these were basic necessities that they should provide. I told him I agreed however they were not providing them. He said it would be taken care of, however when I returned hours later there was still no phone. Needless to say this is a serious safety issue!!! I had a friend with a gold band come with me to speak to them again and this time they were more pleasant and agreed to move my room. For the third time!! After telling me all this time they did not have any other rooms and no rooms on a higher floor, they magically had a room to offer me on the third floor. I am so greatful to the friend I made who helped resolve this issue but I am completely dissapointed by the resort management and their lack of concern or urgency in resolving the matter. The rooms on the main floor are noisy with people walking by constantly and often yelling and making a lot of noise. After being moved to the third floor I made the best of the rest of my stay and did the best I could to enjoy what was left of my vacation. I seldom slept in and on the few days I tried to I would be awaken by a knock on the door at 9am asking to clean the room, the days I was up early my room was either not cleaned at all or cleaned very late in the day. If you can wake up early do so. It is the only way you can get a chair by the beach. One day I woke up at yam and got a cabana by the beach, they go quick!!!

The staff here are hard working. Especially the bell boys who have to carry the luggage up and down the stair case. The wait staff are also hard working and are pleasant to interact with. It is unfortunate that the resort is so poorly managed and that there is a hierarchy and how you are treated is dependant on the colour of your band.

I have read other reviews with similar bad experiences. The reply from the resort is always the standard reply that they are working to improve. It doesn’t mean much. Especially when there was so much that could have been done to make my stay better at the time, but no effort was made. An apology or an offer of a room upgrade or a countless number of other things would have been a step in the right direction, but unfortunately instead I was met with more problems and not many solutions. Save your time and money and stay at another resort. I talked to many people who have stayed here before and they all agree the service and quality has gone down. Save yourself the trouble. I wish I had!!!

Room Tip: Avoid the main floor, better yet avoid the resort and stay somewhere else.
Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo
3  Thank 222Travelholic
PARKCZM, Gerente at Grand Park Royal Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2018

Dear 222Travelholic

First and foremost, we would like to express our gratitude for staying at Grand Park Royal Cozumel. It is our priority to provide our guests with a memorable experience. Therefore, we appreciate any form of feedback as it helps us improve to continue exceeding your expectations. It is with great concern that we read your comments. It disappoints us to know that we did not succeed in meeting your needs, for which we apology. Rest assured that all the points you mentioned will be taken care of for them not to occur again. We hope you granted us the opportunity to change your perspective towards the resort.

Reviewed February 13, 2018

Great views while having a cold drink by the water-front pools, bartenders Reinaldo and Louis were excellent servers! Service with a smile and humor, even after a long hot busy day! Also the sports bar bartender Manuel did a great job, he even remembered what I was drinking night to night! I'm not an exotic eater by any means but I was happy with the buffet and the hamburgers at the snack bar were surprisingly very good. The improvements I would suggest is a few more water bottles in the room and the beds are a little stiff. The lobby elevator was broke but honestly when I approached with my bags a worker snatched them right up and took them up the stairs. I am extremely pleased with my stay as was I with GPR Cancun. Maybe the harsh reviews people expect a little too much bang for their buck. The bars by the water do not have guard rails but honestly, I would be disappointed if they did because it would restrict that view! The atmosphere was very positive and met with people from all over the world! The shows at night were also entertaining. Went downtown a handful of times and felt safe, even at night. Even saw hotel staff and they came over to say hola! Overall an excellent experience I will most likely return!

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
PARKCZM, Gerente at Grand Park Royal Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2018

Dear Scott,

Let us thank you in the first place for staying at Grand Park Royal Cozumel and for taking the time to share your pleasant experience. It is enormously satisfying to know that you had a memorable stay. That is one of our main goals and it is good to know that we are on the right track. We look forward to your next visit to make your stay even more pleasant and memorable.

Reviewed February 13, 2018

The Veranda restaurant have some really great people that will serve you....Hostess: Monica and Keren - Enc: Gonzalo Lobo - Wait Staff: Fernando, Jorge, Arsenio, Natividad, Ricardo and many others. They also have 3 fine-dining restaurants: Caribbean, Mexicana & Italiano. All are good but I like the Italiano because it is quiet, low lighting and soft music + good food. The rooms are spotless and comfortable as is the resort.

Room Tip: Above the 5th floor you have an ocean view.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends

Dear WT1950

Let us thank you in the first place for staying at Grand Park Royal Cozumel and for taking the time to share your pleasant experience. It is very rewarding to know how much you enjoyed your recent stay. Our aim is to go beyond your expectations and we are content to find out that we are achieving it. We look forward to your next visit to make your stay even more pleasant and memorable.

Reviewed February 13, 2018 via mobile

We checked in for five nights all inclusive after spending 7 nights in Playa del Carmen.

The ferry over one way was $326 pesos. The ride was smooth and about 40 minutes. We quickly got a taxi for $100 pesos and it is a 5 minute ride.

We arrived at 3 p.m. but our room was not ready but we got our all inclusive bracelets and used the bar etc. for about 40 minutes. We had asked for a king bed but received 2 doubles they converted quickly to a king.

We had a slight ocean view and Wendy at reception was excellent.

The room was clean and a good size. Nice little balcony with chairs. The bathroom is small but the shower was big and always hot water. The room was made up daily. There was a safe, tv etc. No complaints.

The positive:

El Caribeno restaurant was excellent. We ate there for two dinners and for lunch when on resort. The food and service is top quality. Special thanks to Miguel and Ruben. Lesley the host and Omar in El Caribeno.

The Cafe Sol is an amazing little coffee bar with sandwiches and ice cream and pastries/donuts. Excellent as well thanks Edith.

Take advantage of the free daily snorkeling equipment for one hour daily. Strongly recommend.

The pool bar staff Ronaldo and Luis were fabulous.

We rented a car at Budget in the lobby from Jose Blanco and used the car for a day and next morning. I would strongly recommend as well. Cost was $39 US and we had a wonderful time. Trying Iguanas on the south east shore for lunch and a great view.

The food in the main buffet La Veranda was good for breakfast with good service. We tried to sit outside as much as possible. We did not eat there for other meals. The Mexican Restaurant was also good.

The negative:

There could be more beach chairs. Getting up at 7 a.m. to find a chair seems a bit non conducive to relaxation on vacation but it was the standard here. The first morning a woman chastised me for 'borrowing' a table for drinks claiming it was being used. The table had a hat and shirt and the lounger had nobody there. Word of the day - relax!

It would be good if one pool was designated for families and the other adults only.

I always find having to provide cards for towels a bit odd but I suppose people take off resort and lose so I get it.

Also making reservations only between noon and 3 is a little restrictive but that is the rule. You can check the restaurants at night for cancellations.

Other:

We did not partake in any of the evening shows so won't comment.

Overall:

The resort is in a great location. Easy 40 minutes walk to downtown or $100 peso taxi ride.

The staff work very hard and the place is clean and well maintained.

Food quality and premium liquor are great.

I would rate it as a four star for sure!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rgbb

Dear rgbb,

Thank you for your stay at Grand Park Royal Cozumel and for such a positive review. It is an honor to read how much you enjoyed our facilities and services. Our mission is to make your stay as pleasant as possible and it is gratifying to know that we succeeded. Also thanks to comments like yours that we are able to identify our opportunity areas so as to continue to provide a quality service. We look forward to welcome you back to have the pleasure of serving you again.

Reviewed February 13, 2018 via mobile

We booked through our local travel agent with Apple Vacations. We flew from Milwaukee and arrived in a little over 3 hours in Cozumel direct....from snow bank to sand. Make sure once you get off the plane you ignore every single person that approaches you inside the airport (Unless you are the type to play the time share folks). My wife and I did not want any wasted time or frustration with all that, personally. Anyway, the Apple rep met us outside and quickly got us on the shuttle to GPR. Once we arrived, check in was smooth thanks to Dulce but we we were early and had to wait about 2 hours to get into our room. No sweat cause it gave us plenty of time to check things out. They took great care of our luggage while we headed to the beach. Humberto sat us down to welcome us and show us a map of the island and was super gracious and welcoming. Our room was ready before we knew it and we were pleasantly surprised at the cleanliness and quality. We never ran out of hot water and the shower water pressure was like a pressure washer. Down by the beach infinity pool Ronaldo and Luis. I'm telling you these guys are so personable and welcoming, they went above and beyond. In fact one night we were downtown for Carnivale and Ronaldo approached us by name with his gorgeous family, hugged us and introduced us!! I'm only mentioning a few of the wonderful people who were there to serve us but, I hope you have a taste of the hospitality. I grew up in the restaurant industry and I'm telling you if you don't enjoy the service and quality of presentation and flavor as I've read from other reviews, you maybe either a premaddonna or are just plain spoiled . For the money I doubt you could find a better deal. I mean the buffet gets a little bleh but, even if you stay and eat at your mother in law's house for a week eventually it will get old. Hope that makes sense. The views were great. Snorkeling was great right at the hotel. Entertainment was extraordinary. Overall SUPER, well orchestrated.... Clemente is a super bellman that took total care of our extra needs and even made change for us along with hailing a cab and translating between us and the cabby. It would be hard for us to go to Cozumel again and not stay here. Met great new friends from all over and came home refreshed (and crispy). Hope you enjoy the same experience we had. If you're on your way there, I'm jealous and happy for you. P.S. the whirlpool jaccuzis down by the ocean are not hot tubs. Trust me you won't freeze down there and these Jacuzzis are not labeled as hot tubs and your in the tropics (some other reviews I've read were really set off by this for some reason) not sure there are actual hot tubs in Mexico any more than there are saunas, white tailed deer, or snuff . Anyhow thank you to the entire staff at Grand Park Royal in Cozumel. Hope to be back soon.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eric B

Dear Eric B,

Thank you for your preference and for your kind review. It was a pleasure to welcome you at Grand Park Royal Cozumel. It is with great pleasure that we read your kind review. It pleases us to know how special your stay was since your satisfaction is ours as well. We appreciate your detailed review which will help us detect opportunity areas to enhance our overall service. There is still a lot more to come to Grand Park Royal Cozumel so please be sure to you visit us again in the near future.