“the food is the worst part”

Melia Cozumel Golf - All Inclusive
Ranked #18 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
New Jersey
“the food is the worst part”
Reviewed 17 August 2012

We came here for the second week of our honeymoon. Our first week was at the Grand Mayan in Playa Del Carmen, and that has colored my opinion of Melia because Grand Mayan is so amazing. (I've also reviewed that resort). So take that into account as you read this.

Facility:
Overall, Melia is kind of "blahh." The lobby is nice, but not the rooms are dated. Maintenance is not on top of things. The door to our bathroom was scarred and chipped, and the doorknob was falling apart. There are two plastic chairs on our deck, but no table. We do have a very nice view. I think all rooms face the ocean.

Housekeeping:
The room is relatively clean, but certainly not spotless. Maid service is spotty. Sometimes we get fresh towels, sometimes not. When we do get fresh towels, sometimes we get a complete set with a bath mat and wash clothes, but not consistently. We walked into the room when the maid was cleaning once, and I figured it out. She was watching her favorite soap on the TV. So I think she gets distracted. The floor isn't consistently clean, and the floor in the hall is never swept, so we are constantly tracking crap in.

Kitchen:
We have what they call a "kitchenette." That consists of a bar-sized sink, a dorm fridge, and a tiny microwave. Nothing else. The counter is about 12 inches wide. The fridge freezes everything, regardless of where you put food. I set it on the lowest setting, and it freezes our bottled water in about 4 hours, even when the bottle is in the door rack. So it's pretty much useless. The room is the size of a an average hotel, and there are no dressers or anywhere to unpack clothing. So even though we're staying for a week, we have to keep everything in the suitcase. There are about 8 hangers in the closet. The room is also very dark. The only lights are from the bed lamps and one small lamp in the corner. The hall lights don't light the closet, so you can't see in the safe without a flashlight.

But that's not the worst part....

Food:
The food here is terrible. They make you sign up for an all inclusive fee if you want to use the restaurants on site. Trouble is, we're an $8 cab ride from town, and it would be inconvenient to go to town for every meal. The all inclusive is $50 per day per person. This wouldn't be a bad deal if the food was good. They have 3 restaurants - a grill that serves hamburgers, fish sticks, and nachos with that cheese sauce you get in theaters; a buffet that serves a different menu each night and recycles leftovers for breakfast and lunch; and a special restaurant that offers a menu and live piano. The ambiance at the restaurant is good, but even they can't pull off a decent meal. Yesterday, we ordered grilled shirt steak, something we've had at several places in the region with great success. Everywhere else, the steak has been marinated, and was tender and well seasoned. Here, it was like eating salty shoe leather. I sent my first steak back, and they brought me another. The servers were very concerned that I didn't like my food, but the second steak was just as bad. It was even difficult to cut with a steak knife. I think it has more to do with a low quality cut of meat than the preparation, because we could hear them trying to tenderize the second steak. The meat was full of gristle.

I've noticed that they recycle unused food from the day before. They serve this dish of plantains cooked in honey. Yesterday, there were three colors of plantains - very dark brown from 2 days prior, light brown from the previous day, and fresh yellow - all mixed together. Understand that the food sits out uncovered on steam tables for 4 hours every day. Yuk.

Internet:
Internet is spotty, but at least it's here and included. Our last place charged about $20 a day. We can't watch video on the internet, because it's too inconsistent. Opening a new web page takes about 30 seconds, minimum.

Beach:
The beach looks nice in the pictures, but there is a lot of mud and seaweed in the water, so no one swims from the Melia beach. The hotel next door has a concrete jetty that protects its beach and water from the crap on our beach. We went there to swim and snorkel. It was very crowded, but the snorkeling was surprisingly fun. A couple was standing together in the water (without snorkel gear) completely unaware that they were standing in the middle of a huge school of fish. We saw quite a variety of fish, and the water was very clear.

If you have the all inclusive bracelet, you can use the hotel's snorkel gear, a Hobie cat, or kayaks for an hour at no charge. Their supply is pretty limited. We had to wait an hour to snorkel. They don't provide fresh mouth pieces, so be prepared to use a snorkel someone else just used. Apparently, they do dip them in some kind of disinfectant, but we didn't see that.

Staff:
The restaurant staff in all three restaurants are very friendly and helpful. We enjoyed talking with them. All of them speak some English. The front desk staff are not quite so helpful. If you call down to the front desk, their general answer is that you need to come to the desk during certain hours before they'll answer your questions. There is a travel agency on-site, and we found them to be very helpful. The time share ladies are helpful and friendly. There is one small gift shop with a surly shop-keeper. The merchandise in the gift shop is limited and pretty expensive.

Overall, I would definitely NEVER return to the Melia.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CKENewJersey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (625)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Okay...my huband and I gave this resort a solid B...just barely above "average". As stated previously, the front desk staff need traning - they just don't really seem to want to help or care about your concerns. Internet service is horrible and was down much of the time (and be prepared to do your work from the lobby - not your room). When I reported a bug in my room (I was on the 11th floor), they did absolutely nothing. At minimum, I expected someone to acknowledge the incident and apologize. I realize bugs are everywhere, but as a guest, you just don't want to see them. It was our anniversary and I had sent a note to the hotel manager 2 weeks prior to our stay to arrange a special dinner for my husband and I. He said it could be arranged upon check-in. When I asked the front desk staff, they said they would check and get back to me. After 2 days of not hearing anything, I asked again and they said I had to go see the head waiter. Why didn't they tell me that sooner? They got us dinner reservations at the non-buffet restaurant, but did absolutely nothing else. How hard would it have been to write "Happy Anniversary" on a dessert plate? The food was good and there was plenty of variety - a solid B. The exterior of the hotel needs a face-lift. The room was nice, but the bathroom was SMALL. We played golf nearly every day - tough course, but in great shape. When the ball goes out of bounds, it's gone and watch for crocodiles!!

Room Tip: We had an oceanfront room - when you opened the door, it looked like you could just walk into the oc...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sue K
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Well, we stayed at the Melia for 6 days starting Aug 5th. I had read all the reviews here, and decided to take it with a grain of salt. My husband and I went with his brother and his wife. Upon first impressions, the reviews were wrong. The staff was amazingly nice, providing a overview of the resort and explaining everything to us. We booked the garden view room thru Bookit.com and I asked to be placed as high up as possible, with a king size bed, close as possible to our inlaws. They came thru on everything. Then we went to dinner.... Be warned, the lunch/dinner buffet is really not good. Breakfast is fabulous with the omlets and everything, but lunch and dinner you are better off eating at the snack bar. The only good night was the chinese food night.
The other reviews are correct on the AC in the rooms. It makes everything damp, including your clean clothes in your suitcase. The pillows are HARD AS ROCKS. I did not sleep thru the night at all the entire time we were there...even after spending all day at the pool bar :). The staff was all really nice, the nightly entertainment was ok, better some nights than others... The front desk was able to break a $100 for me, but that was it, after that they didnt have anything smaller than a $20. My fault for bringing it to Mexico in the first place I guess.
There wasnt any timeshare people hounding us in the hotel, which was nice. The beach was a mess after Ernesto, but they did a nice job cleaning it up. Its a good place to go if you like the sandy beaches....not so great if you want to snorkel or see crystal clear water...
BOTTOM LINE:
Great staff, great breakfast, good cold drinks and bartenders....but bad lunch/dinner buffet even at the reservations only resturaunt, bad AC, bad bedding.... Unfortunately we will not be staying here again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank BeachyBritty
Glendale, California
Reviewed 10 August 2012

Stayed here with family.
#1 worst thing was the mattress, it's like a rock, no support. I had to line up three pillows on bed to be able to sleep.
#2 Food, breakfast is good, lunch and dinner are just OK. Authentic food was good the rest needs to be seasoned, no taste.
Staff at the buffet are very nice after you tip them. Clean property, amazing beach, the beach next door is crystal clear but rocky bottom. Overall you get what you pay for.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 August 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for a week in July 2012...awful experience! I had read reviews on this site that were not flattering, but decided to give it a chance as there were others that were positive. From check in to check out we have issue after issue and the front desk and manager, Carlos, was the worst. He was rude and disrespectful in each interaction I had with him. He does not know what good customer service is. Their Quality Assurance Manager, Vanessa, was wonderful and did her very best to help us make the best of a bad experience. Marianna in the spa provided me with 2 amazing massages. The rooms were clean as well. Now, the negative issues....the water at the hotel resort is terrible...murky and dirty with no ability to snorkel there. You have to walk down the beach and over a pier and snorkel at the beach of the hotel next door. However, they monitor their beach and you cannot use their chairs so, don't take personal items there that you do not want to lay in the sand. The food lacks flavor and variety...many times what you saw at lunch was then called something different at dinner. The 2 menu restaurants require reservations and have no children's menus...that food is better than the buffet, but still minimal quality. In addition, on the paperwork you receive at check in, it states you can order from the grill in the buffet. I asked about that and was told I "misunderstood what that meant"....that was also an answer given when I asked other questions about amenities or things stated in their own paperwork. The Melia does have a children's program, but no one explains it to you at check in and I went to the location twice and found the door locked with no one there. I then asked about it at the Activity Desk, but was told they knew nothing about the program. The food in the buffet they labeled as for the kids was overcooked and too chewy or hard to eat. We spent many nights eating cereal or nothing at all. If it had not been for the outings we took, this would have been a complete waste of a trip for our family. We were greatly disappointed in the location, food and customer service displayed. Also, do not expect them to assist with changing out larger bills...the only time they agreed to do it for me was when I said it was so I could tip their staff. The location a $10 cab ride one way from downtown shopping and very far from many of the beach outings or other tours offered on the island. Now, I know why they are rated in the lower third with this site. If going to Cozumel, stay in the Southern area of the island to find better beaches, better snorkeling and hopefully a better experience.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank KimT728
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed 8 August 2012

The hotel was spectacular. Right on the beach! The staff was very nice and professional. Housekeeping came to your room in the morning to make up the room and then came back in the evening to restock the mini bar, give extra towels, and give some after dinner chocolates. The room was very clean and modern. The food was very good, and it was a combination of American and Mexican cuisine. The food was always cooked to perfection. The ICE and Water are FILTERED. The waiters and bartenders worked harder then I have ever seen someone work. They were always there for you and quick to grant any request. The grounds, pools, beach, rooms, and lobby were always being cleaned and checked by the staff. Everything was spotless. This was a great vacation, and the hotel and staff were just excellent. My girlfriend and I will definately return and I encourage everyone to go here for a relaxing vacation. Can't say enough positive things about Melia, and not a single negative experience!

Room Tip: The Junior Suite is a great room, great view, and Mini Fridge that is restocked daily!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rob A
Elmsford, NY
Reviewed 7 August 2012

The Melia was recommended by a friend. This trip was a birthday gift for my Goddaughter's 16th. We went from June 28-July 2 along with a friend of hers. We were greatly surprised and hope to visit again. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived but we expected that. They checked us in, less than 5 minutes and we went to have lunch and walk around. Our room was ready by 3pm. A big hello & thank you to Olympus Tours (Eduardo & Jimmi, they were patient with me when booking my tours. They even arranged for a cake for my goddaughter on our Island Tour and everybody sang Happy Birthday & had cake, she was very surprised. We had room 806 which was amazing, it was very clean, neat and everything worked, and the view was breathtaking. Everybody we saw was friendly and helpful. You can walk up and down the beach. The girls and I spent most of our time on the beach. We didn't have to fight for chairs which was nice. We ate our meals at the buffet so everybody could have whatever they wanted. We would have liked a little more Mexican Food to try out but we were kool. We enjoyed our trip.

Room Tip: A friend recommended this place & said don't believe everything you read.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends