New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Royal Level Occidental Cozumel

Royal Level Occidental Cozumel
Ranked #32 of 50 Hotels in Cozumel
Raleigh, NC
“I am a Royal Club Repeat Guest”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

I am a Royal Club Repeat Guest:

I always enjoy staying here; much cheaper than the Presidente Intercontinental which I tried many years ago. I've stayed at the Occidental Grand resort some 4-5 years now, this trip for a week.

As mentioned by other reviewers, Ms. Nelly who is the primary person to work with at the Royal Club, is a gem and always makes a sincere effort to make your stay perfect. Staying in the Royal Club only costs a little more than the other buildings, and it's worth it: A very nice private restaurant for all three meals if you want, and now WiFi is free (it used to cost an arm-and-a-leg!) With that said, I found the WiFi signal spotty or a weak signal sometimes but considering its now free/included, it wasn't a significant issue. They also have a small, private pool if you desire more quiet-time away from the other larger pools, as well as an exclusive computer to check email near your room.

I find other comments about ground-floor rooms being too humid and musty (more than upper levels) somewhat flawed. During this trip I requested a ground floor room and the AC worked quite well, especially since they also have a ceiling fan in the bedroom, almost directly above the bed. I do not find the beds to be "too hard" to sleep on (mentioned by a few previous commentators), and I've slept on many.

If you scuba dive, this is the place! I try to scuba dive 1-2 times a day and the on-site dive shop (Dive Palancar) is at the top in service and diving options.

IMO, this is a great resort if you have children who are aged ~14 years or older; plenty for young adults to do; having infants or very young children may be problematic.

For some reason, I never get hit-up by the time-share staff; how I manage to avoid the sales pitch every time I stay here is beyond me, but I know they've been pushing their time-share program for years (I am not a time share member).

It's been several years since the hurricane hit the island and the because time has passed since then, the resort's landscaping is lush and well-maintained; the staff is constantly pruning, trimming and cleaning.

Just a few things on this trip which were not what I was used to from previous visits to this resort (This should NOT be a deal-breaker for you, so take these as minor observations):

- Pool bar closest to the beach: Ran out of drink cups (plastic glasses) on several occasions throughout my stay; the sole bartender had to leave many times to obtain clean glasses, leaving guests standing in a long line waiting for the bartender to return.

- The Royal Club housekeeping staff used to fold/prepare a towel in the shape of a tropical animal or bird, and place it on your bed once they cleaned the room and made the bed; fresh flowers used to be placed in several location throughout the room/bathroom and/or on the bed; they did neither of these during my 7-day stay. It was a nice touch on previous visits.

- Survey: Strangely, I received the resort's survey email the day I arrived, rather than at the end of my visit, or shortly after the trip ended.

- The Royal Club's pool: Ran out of pool towels very early in the morning every day I was there; I did not observe them being replenished later on in the morning or afternoon by the staff; once they were out of towels in the early AM, no more towels for the rest of the day.

Some closing thoughts:

- Men: Don't forget to bring one pair of long pants and closed shoes for their specialty dinner restaurants; this attire is obligatory for dinner except at the buffet-style location. Some guests try to sneak in wearing shorts. And by men that includes all ages: male kids must also abide by this attire standard of long pants and closed foot apparel (no shorts or flip flops/sandals for men).

Stay here! Even with some minor quirks, I really enjoy this resort and will return for a future visit.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank RaleighNCtravelGuy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Louisville, Kentucky
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

Just returned from 7 night stay in Royal Club section of Grand Occidental Cozumel in April '12. We took our two kids, 6 & 8 and I have some pros and cons. Let me preface by saying we are a very well travelled family (kids included) and have stayed at all inclusives all over the place, so our expectations were realistic and our observations based on pretty extensive comparative experiences!

Pros:
1. Abbi from kids' club was AWESOME with the kids. She is the #1 PRO from our trip. Our girls absolutely adored her. We aren't ones to leave our kids in a resort's babysitting area and loved that she did daily activities with the kids poolside at the main pool so that we were still together as a family. Bracelet making, t-shirt painting, beach and pool polo and soccer. She seemed so genuinely happy to be there and the girls looked for her daily. Was perfect for our family!
2. Activities crew tried hard to provide lots of things for people to participate in, from water sports and aerobics to the typical nighttime shows.
3. Snorkeling right on the resort's beach was great! A resident barracuda provided daily excitement!
4. "Reservations only" restaurants were nice and the service in these was overall great. Mediterranean one has a very "Vegas" feel. Royal Club restaurant served my husband the best filet he says he has ever had! We are pretty consistent tippers all-around and this seemed to help our overall service as the week went on.
5. The town of Cozumel was lots of fun. We felt safe everywhere we went and loved getting out and seeing some of the island.
6. The humongous iguanas all over the resort were great. Sneak a banana out of the restaurant and some of them will eat from your hand (not for the faint of heart!! Ha!!)
7. Mini fridge in room is basic and is restocked daily. A couple cans of beer, a few soft drinks, some bottled water. They left us extra bottles of water once it became clear that was what we were mostly using, which was nice.
8. The small little RC section pool looked okay, but we never used it since our kids (and the adults!) preferred the louder, more fun pace at the main pool. The design of the main pool is really unique has LOTS of really shallow area for little kids. The entire "deep" part of the pool is only 4', which was great for us.
9. It's a bit of a hike to the beach through a nature/jungly area, which we liked, but I could see how some people wouldn't be crazy about it. Because of this, there are no rooms on the beach and I can't imagine that many even have much of a beach/water view. We were on 2nd floor in RC and could only see green (trees, etc)
10. There are lots of bats that come out at twilight all around the pool, which were neat to watch!
11. We went as a family on a 3 hour snorkeling tour booked through the resort activity desk and saw sea turtles, a big shark, stingrays and more! Gorgeous!

CONS
1. Seriously the hardest and most uncomfortable beds we have ever, ever slept on. Honestly like a board with scratchy sheets on it.
2. Room was definitely just average. Screen door onto small balcony wouldn't consistently slide. Air conditioner VERY loud. Housekeeping varied GREATLY depending on which person serviced room - from elaborate towel art on the bed and immaculate cleaning one day to no towels and trash not taken out the next. Had to call for towels three different days because we literally had no washcloths or hand towels or whatever. Pretty stingy with the toiletries. I think we had 2 little bottles of shampoo for our family of 4 over our 7 night stay. I had some from home so we just used that instead of continuing to call over and over again to ask for little things.
3. The buffet food at the only restaurant available for breakfast and the only restaurant available for lunch was definitely just average/repetetive and sometimes even pretty generic and gross. More than once we were given napkins and dishes that were obviously dirty (lipstick on coffee cups, etc.). There were always people standing around waiting on essential things that had run out (plates, glasses, spoons, etc.) and you had to get to lunch early or things ran out and your options became limited. We didn't have a meal at one of these buffets that didn't involve getting up to take things from other tables that we needed and weren't offered.
4. The beach was VERY hard to walk on without sandals. It was absolutely covered in broken shell parts all but our last day there. My husband had to use his doctoring skills to extract a painful shell shard from our 6 years old's heel at one point!
5. One bar during the day to service the main pool and the beach (unless you wanted to go into the one restaurant that served lunch to get a drink). Lines always backed up. No bar on beach, had a guy offer us a drink on the beach only 2 of our 7 days.
6. Beach towels were another thing that were at a premium at times. Chairs by the pool and under shade on the beach get claimed early, chairs in the sun on the beach were always plentiful.
7. I'm sure security was good, but it was a little too discreet for my taste. Nobody ever asks for your room number at the main buffet restaurants. Nobody checked our keys to access the Royal Club section, so any person staying in any part of the resort could walk through there, which definitely took away from the "exclusive" feel I thought we had paid for to stay in that part.

Overall, it was really just average. A decent value for the money we paid. I'm not sure that the extra money to stay in the RC was worth it for us. We heard that the rooms were no different than the regular rooms. The only advantage we really saw was that it provided access to the Royal Club restaurant, which we chose to only use once. We would go back to Cozumel but would probably try somewhere new.

Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank stlouischick
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

Just came back from another great stay at OGC in the Royal Club section. We were there during the first week of April. Over the years, we've been to Cozumel 8 times and stayed in town, renting villas and also choosing different hotels on the North side and South side of San Miguel. We have to say that this hotel is perfectly located it benefits one of the nicest beaches on the island and for scuba lovers it's right next to the breath taking Palancar reef.
We're from Montreal and we enjoy the fact that we have direct flights to Cozumel. Once you land you are about a 20 minutes ride from the resort.
OGC is almost a boutique resort with only 250 rooms, the Royal Club has around 24 rooms. The great thing about Royal Club is the personal service, the private a la carte restaurant (La Caterra), the heated Jacuzzi and above all the friendly and helpful staff (ou special thanks goes out to Nelly and her team; Laura, Thomas, Mayorico and Aristeo).
When you walk around the resort you have a feeling of peacefullness, it's small, cozy, there is lots of mature trees, the vegetation and grounds are well maintained. The rooms have a well stocked fridge refilled every day with bottled water, pops and Corona beer. The bed mattress is firm. The shower has strong water pressure with plenty hot water. Amongst the few things that could be improve (not that we watch a lot of it) but when you do, it would be nice if all rooms have flat screen TV. The Royal Club bar has top shelf liquors (Grand Marnier, Chivas, great selection of gold Tequilas and dark Rum to name a few), it's located in the a la carte restaurant which doesn't provide easy access, also the restaurant staff are busy with serving food so they don't have much time to look after bar order. That being said, you can always go to the main bar which is a short walk away but they don't have the same level of liquor choice.
Cozumel is one of the top location in the Caribean for diving. They have at the hotel a dive operator (Dive Palancar) which is extremely professional. Great boats, excellent dive masters, good equipment, lockers if you have your own gears and want to leave it at the dive shop. The dive sites are from 5 to 30 minutes from the dock. They have 4 dives scheduled every day, this gives you lots of flexibility. You come back to the dock after each tank and therefore it gives you all the time you want to enjoy the beach and hotel amenities. The rates are very reasonable, one tank is 34$ and if you take more than 10 tanks the price drops down to 30$/tank.
Everyone at this resort, takes pride in what they do and that's what makes this hotel a great place to stay. We fell in love with the hotel and there is no doubt that we will be returning customers for years to come.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Drinkwater22
Charlottesville, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

We just returned from staying at the Occidental Grand Royal Club. We have stayed many times on the Mayan Riveria at all inclusives but this was the first time venturing to Cozumel. The Occidental Grand is a beautiful hotel, small and intimate, and you feel as if you are staying in a botanical garden. The grounds alone make this a great destination. We stayed in the Royal Club which I would highly recommend. There are certain perks which I believe enhance your stay at this resort. First of all there is private check in for this club and you have a concierge dedicated to the club. There is also a private restaurant for the club which provides breakfast, lunch and dinner. This restaurant also provides room service for the clug. We were able to have reservations in the restaurants for all of our dinners though we did eat breakfast most mornings at the buffet. The location of the Royal Club is ideal as it is close to the quiet pool as well as the beach. We had free great internet right outside of our room and the Royal Club pool was just steps from our building. This pool was alternately a hot tub jacuzzi depending on who set the temperture. But the nice thing was that often we had it to ourselves or other quiet guests. It also had nice padded lounges. I cant testify to any differences in the rooms except for different colored spreads and drapery. The beds are hard but not uncomfortably so and the linens were a high quality. We were disappointed to have a first floor room. Due to foliage it was a little dark however our patio was very private and I enjoyed my coffee and a book each morning there. I have to say the room coffee and that in the restaurants was terrible. They could improve on this greatly. We have had some very good food at all inclusives but I would rate the food here as just ok. If I had one negative about this resort it would be the food. However if I want great food I can stay home and that is not the reason for going on vacation in Mexico. As stated in many of the reviews the staff here are great and they work very hard. We had a wonderful housekeeper who made the most incredible towel annimals I have ever seen. My husband and I always tip as the staff really want to please and go out of their way to be of service.
Cozumel itself was a wonderful experience. It too is small, friendly and very safe. We rented a jeep for two days and drove all over the island. The east side is a real treat as it is undeveloped and truly beautiful. The ocean and beaches on this side are spectacular and you can go for miles without seeing another car or people. It is spotted with some great little beach restaurants. Our favorite was Coconuts as it was fun with an amazing view of the ocean. We also chartered a boat for fishing which was great and though we did not catch any Mahi Mahi which the captain searched far my husband landed some red snapper and barricuda.
Would we go back.. Absolutley as we would like to take our grown children. My son who scuba dives would find it heavenly to have the boats go out right from the hotel dock. After our island tour we also feel the Occidental is probably one of the best resorts on Cozumel if you look at all aspects: Small, Beautiful grounds, Real beach (some resorts dont have a beach), Access to scuba and fishing, and snorkeling.

Room Tip: The upper floors are more sunny. First floor rooms have no steps and have a patio rather than a sma...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Merge42
Napanee, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

We stayed at the Royal Club at Occidental Grand Cozumel from March 3 -10, 2012. Nelly and all other Royal Club staff helped to make our vacation perfect! Great service in the Royal Club restaurant and the food was amazing. Nelly arranged a special anniversary dinner for us, which was awesome. Nelly also made our reservations for each night in the different a la carte restaurants. Loved the location of the Royal Club - close to pools and the beach if you need to go back to your room for something during the day. Also loved the size of the resort - not too big and easy to find your way around. The beach was BEAUTIFUL. We walked down to the Iberostar and the beach there was all rocks - the only way to get in the water was to go out on a pier and get in. We also walked the other way down the beach to the Occidental Allegro - they had a nice beach and the resort looks nice, but very manicured compared to the Occidental Grand (with its jungle!) I would definitely recommend the Royal Club at Occidental Grand Cozumel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lovethebeach08
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

We booked last minute and ended up with a Royal Club room. Room was very nice and clean. We had asked for a King bed but didn't get it - which was fine. We don't let small things like that ruin our vacation. The bathrooms were very very nice, all marble with both a tub and shower. We were on the main floor and had a view of the pool. Other rooms (which we saw) had views of the lush greenery that surrounds the Royal Club and the entire resort. The comment in another review about the view of the "chain link fence" is very misleading. It's a black fence that separates your patio from the greenery. Still very scenic - trust me, I saw it. We found the room very quiet, with the obvious noise that starts each morning when people are starting to get up. No major noise issues for us! We enjoyed all the pools at the resort, including our quiet pool in the royal club. Normally enough seating but it's a small pool so you really can't put more than 12 chairs there. We never had an issue getting chairs. A few times people brought laptops/ipods for some background music which was nice. Never to loud and the people were so friendly that I'm sure you asked them to turn it off (not sure why you would - you're on vacation!!) they would have.

As for the food - it's Mexico but it was above average from what we've had in other places. Our gourmet restaurant was GREAT! The food, especially lunch, was incredible and they had a selection of wine that was not available at other restaurants. In fact, they were kind enough to put a bottle in an ice bucket for us to enjoy by the pool on a few occassions. We tried all other restaurants and never had an issue. Sure, they don't make a steak or lamb chops like our local steak house does here at home, but it's Mexico! Never turned away a meal! They also have an incredible pizza place that serves until 1:30am - now that pizza was just like home!!

That staff could not have been nicer. Luis, Abraham, and everyone else we encountered were as friendly as can be. At two of the pools (not the royal club pool) there were always people walking by to bring us drinks, and the bars were never lined up (contrary to other reviews). Sure, there was a small 6 or 7 person line right at 10am when the pool bar opened but after that there was never a wait - and we know that the resort was at full capacity as we tried to extend our stay but could not.

The reservation system worked fine, you just need to be organized. We were able to make reservations every night, although true sometimes not at the exact time we would have liked. But that's like any restaurant in the world really - sometimes it's just not available.

The grounds were amazing. Very lush greenery throughout. They keep the resort very clean, always sweeping, painting, cutting down dead branches, etc. I love the fact that there were so many options for places to hang out. The beach, the main activity pool, a medium sized quieter pool, beach beds, etc, etc. If you didn't like your surrounding for some reason there were a lot of other options to choose from.

Dress code was very relaxed. They asked for long pants at night (except the main buffet) which was no issue. During the day beach wear was fine in the restaurants. I loved the comment in another review about a "bare chested man getting beer" - wow, imagine that. A man coming to a beach front property with three pools and he doesn't have a shirt on - shocking!! LOL LOL.

We had no issues with this wonderful resort at all. We had a great week with family, met some wonderful people who we really enjoyed spending time with and had an overall excellent time at the resort. We typically don't go back to the same place twice - but there is reason not to go back here.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank brymat
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

We booked and paid to stay 9 nights at the Royal Club. We managed to stick it for 2 nights before leaving without any prospect of a refund. It was that bad we just had to leave. Despite requesting a quiet room we were given a dim and dark room that looked out onto a chain link fence and were woken each morning at 6am by the sound of slamming doors and scraping furniture. This went on for 3 hours - room cleaning starts about 8am. Food at best was poor quality and the supposed "gourmet dining" is just not happening (you need to book days in advance to get in and then it appears they are serving about 12 persons per night - Royal Club must have had over 80 persons staying). Dining in the main area is very basic and it is hard to find a piece of crockery that isn't chipped or cracked. The exclusive "quiet pool" has space for about 8-10 persons and was always full with folks playing music from laptops - not very relaxing! The all inclusive experience for us was a first, and a last, although it was certainly entertaining watching a bare chested man stroll into the "gourmet breakfast" area asking for fresh beer supplies at 9.40 in the morning.

Never again. We moved to another hotel down the road.

I can not understand how this place is getting good reviews?

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple