“Breakfast at Mango”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Mango Cafe

Mango Cafe
Ranked #3 of 201 Restaurants in Isla Mujeres
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Cheap Eats, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Horario 7:00am - 9pm
Minnesota
“Breakfast at Mango”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

I simply loved this place..its so quaint! The food is fresh and no preservatives...Couldn't wait to get there and try the Coconut French Toast...it was out of this world, excellent!!! Wanted to make it back for dinner but couldn't...Will definitely be doing that next year!!! Oh and the Mango juice was heavenly!!!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Winnipeg, Canada
“Breakfast was so good, I went back the very next morning”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

Breakfast at Mango Cafe is a delight. This popular restaurant, found in Colonia Meterorologico on Isla Mujeres, has patrons waiting at the door as they open at 8:00 a.m. When I arrived for breakfast around 9:00 the place is packed with a dozen people waiting. Thankfully I see a table of friends from Minnesota that I had meet a few nights earlier. They have an extra seat and ask me to join them. There are lots of things I love about Mango. The place is bright with lots of open windows. The staff are attentive and owner Polo is very welcoming making a point to visit every table and talk to every guest. The coffee is awesome, an organic Mexican style with just a hint of cinnamon. It sits in giant urns next to the the kitchen and is self serve. No waiting for a refill; what could be better? This also adds to the “make yourself at home” attitude of your morning visit.

My friends order: hotcakes that come with bacon and scrambled egg, Mayan scramble filled with veggies served on a croissant and topped with pepita (pumpkin seed) sauce and Mango’s eggs Benedict (more on that later). I opt for the world famous French toast. Probably the most delicious thing I have ever eaten for breakfast, it could just as easily be served for dessert. They use conchas (a sweet bun sold in Mexican bakeries) and coat them in coconut and almonds. It was cooked to perfection, crispy on the outside but melt in your mouth tender on the inside and surprisingly not overly sweet.

I left Mango totally satisfied and barely needed to eat for the rest of the day. However, I awoke the next morning with thoughts of Mango’s eggs Benedict stuck in my head. So I headed back to try this interesting rendition of a classic. The perfectly poached eggs are served atop croissants and fried portobella mushroom, onion and chaya (a Mexican supper food, similar to spinach) topped with hollandaise sauce with just a hint of curry, crispy crumbled bacon and served with yummy fried potatoes. Well worth the encore visit.

As I was dining alone that morning, owner Polo asked if he could join me to enjoy his morning coffee. We enjoyed some impromptu music and a lovely conversation. Talk about hospitality.

For photos and more details, please feel free to check out my blog site at: http://foodmusings.ca/isla-mujeres/breakfast-at-the-mango-cafe-isla-mujeres-guest-blogger-sister-3/

Visited March 2012
2 Thank Kathryne G
mpls, mn
“Exceptional!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

A visit to Mango Cafe was on our "must do" list during our recent trip to Isla. With all the good restaurant choices only our favorites make this list. Once again Mango Cafe & Polo exceeded our expectations. The food was fantastic and service was great! Our group shared fish tacos and some amazing appetizers. Fish tacos were not our first choice but were a recommendation. They were delicious! Truly the best we have had on the Island. We will continue to visit Mango Cafe on future trips. Exceptional food at reasonable prices is what you will get. Keep up the great work Polo and staff. Mango Cafe is a special place!

Shawnee, Oklahoma
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

First visit to mango cafe and second visit to isla....I'm not sure how we could have missed this amazing food!!! Best breakfast, lunch and dinner on the island with a friendly atmosphere. Loved the coconut French toast! We will be making this a regular stop next visit to the island! Thank you Polo and staff :)

Burlington, VT
“Fantastic breakfast served by a great guy who got his start in Wisconsin!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

Wisconsin travelers going to Isla Mujeres absolutely have to stop by Mango and get an amazing breakfast and say hello to Polo. He used to own the food stand in Madison called "Mango Man", remember him? We did. He got his start working in restaurants around the midwest and Wisconsin. The food is unique and awesome. If not for the authentic location, you should go to get some good advice from Polo for other authentic places to eat on the island. I've heard the popularity leads to long lines (why would anyone be upset about this, think of the owner, not yourself), but this is still a must-go on Isla Mujeres!

1 Thank WiscoTravelers