“great time”
Review of Hotel Rocamar

Hotel Rocamar
Ranked #15 of 38 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed 17 January 2012

My husband and myself stayed at Rocomar for a week. We had suite 27 and it was amazing-it has a panorama of the sea that is awe inspiring. The rooms are very minimalist but with huge outdoor patio, it makes no difference. The staff are wonderful-I forgot my purse on bench out side the reception area but when I returned hours later (never missing it) they had secured it for me. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cheri52546

Reviewed 8 January 2012

My Family and I just returned from a 5 day visit to Isla Mujeres, Mexico. We stayed at the Hotel Rocamar. This is a no frills hotel right downtown on the Eastern side of the island. This was our second stay there.
My wife and I love this hotel because of its view, cleanliness and service. Dona Lina, our housekeeper took great care of us again and the desk clerks were very helpful. The pool was fantastic and the new deck area is great!
We enjoy mixing with the locals and the island is extremely safe.
We only wish they still had hammock hooks.

Room Tip: The suites, Rm 18 or the one above, are worth spending a few extra dollars on or ask for room 20, or...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 November 2011

After hours of searching hotels all over Cancun, we chose this one out on Isla Mujeres, and NO REGRETS!!! We are a couple in our early 40s, love to travel, have simple tastes. The bed was large and comfy, the pool was the perfect temperature, the view was great, and the price beat the pants off of the competition. And we LOVED the hammock on the balcony! Yes, the bathroom is enclosed in glass, which could be awkward in certain situations. But our room had a plastic curtain that could be pulled shut to block the view. I guess the only drawback I might mention is that the wi-fi didn't work inside our room, so we had to connect out on the main patio/ sitting area. We had a small fridge in the room, and it was an easy walk to all the restaurants on the other side of the island, which is also where you want to go to enjoy the beach and shops.

We would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Johnsononthemove
Reviewed 22 November 2011

On 10/19 /11 my wife and I stayed at the Hotel Rocamar in Isla Mujeres Mexico
The hotel looks just like it does in the picture and if you have reasonable expectations you will love it.
We only stayed 1 night as we had a package plan in the Cuncun hotel zone but I would go back in a heartbeat. I personally like isla mujeres better than Cancun but my wife likes Cancun better.
The hotel is only located 3 blocks from the ferry that we arrived on from Puerto Juarez so totally walkable. Just exit the ferry to the street & turn right and its like the 1st or second left (can only go left) The street names on on the top sides on the buildings so you cant miss them. We were not sure about how big or small the island was or how far the hotel was so we opted for a taxi which cost 40 pesos (3.50) but we almost laughed when we realized how close it was. We thought the taxi driver was joking when he said we were there like 45 second later. So we walked back to the ferry with out suitcase when we left and saved the extra pesos.
The staff was friendly upon check in and showed us to our room.
The hotel lobby was actually and outdoor covered lobby and there was a tv there and a water cooler and coffee. So we kept filling up our empty bottle.
They still give out real keys instead of cards. The room was very basic. No TV just a clock radio. I had no problem with that but the wife fussed a little. Bed was fine. Bathroom clean enough. Soap and shampoo were provided. Just 2 bath towels and hand towels. They actually gave us a room with an A/C bacause it was slow and we were there in the off season but we knew we did not pay for it. During the high season expect to pay $10 extra. We reserved a room on a high floor. A few dollar more during high season but well worth it. We were on the 3rd floor The hotel had 4 floors.

The view from the room is absolutely amazing. This room is all about the balcony and the view! Trust me when word gets out about this view from the balcony, Calvin Klein will be shooting their next CK perfume ad there as it was amazing with the water crashing on the rocks. You'll just want to take picture after picture, with you and your loved ones in the pictures as well! This hotel is located on a rocky, rough, beach. If you want the sandy beach, head back to the ferry and turn right and go all the way down (no too far) There you will find the sandy ones (Playa NORTE)

We did not go in the pool but it was nice to have it if i were staying longer.
The is a grocery store if you turn right exiting the hotel and then later left at the plaza.
There is no breakfast but there are tuns of reasonable places to eat.
We found an inexpensive outdoor seating (on plastic chairs) place called Loncheria Giovanni that was amazing. Fresh squeezed OJ ! Fresh fruit. Everything fresh. Ask the guy at the front desk where this place is, its literally 2 blocks if that from the hotels and just friendly, and reasonable and good. There were foreigners everywhere on the Island.
The shopkeepes in Isla were not as pushy as in Cancun. They pointed to the inside of their stores and encouraged you to go in but they did not get too pushy.

I would go back in a heartbeat
WE paid $60.42 USA with taxes included per night but expect to pay more the colder it is up north!

Get out and explore the island on foot and enjoy your stay and forget wasting your time watching TV!

Room Tip: Get the 3rd or 4th floor. high room. Better view.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank pedromichael
Reviewed 27 September 2011

I may just add to the reviewer's complaint about the sewage smell. We stayed at that location several years ago and lasted one night. There was a large vent in the shower and every time we would hear a toilet flush in the building everything would dump into the vent shaft down to some basement cesspool, I imagine. The smell was overpowering. The management offered NO room switch and NO REFUND. The reviewer's description tells me that some things have not changed.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank pttrippers
Reviewed 23 September 2011

I genuinely don't understand why this hotel has only a 1 star rating. True it's location is not right by the beach (it's about a seven minute walk) but the room that we stayed in was lovely and spacious, spotlessly clean and with a beautiful big balcony overlooking the Caribbean sea.

The only thing the room doesn't have is a tv but there's one in the lounge area downstairs.

We were intrigued to see what these glass door bathrooms looked like that we'd been warned about but got a normal one. The bathroom was squeaky clean with really soft towels.

Although we were in low season I still think compared with the price of other hotels around that $40 a night was a bargain (I can't promise it's not more in high season). I've had to travel for work for over 10 years now and have stayed in worse 5 star hotels before!

Would highly recommend to anyone considering staying on the island without breaking the bank.

• Stayed: July 2011
4  Thank Hermione12
Reviewed 23 August 2011

We defected to Rocamar after a sleepless night in a private room at Poc-na hostel (no air-con in our room and we were sandwiched between the loudest bar on the island and a theme park filled with screaming kids!). The price of the room in Poc-Na = $25. The price of our glorious, top floor, ocean view, airconditioned spotless room in Rocamar = $50.....The gulf between these two could not be any bigger!

Some people on TA have complained about about it being sparsely furnished and a bit too plain. Erm, we thought it was beautifully furnished. Very clean and white, with some interesting touches (colourful Mexican made designer chairs in every room and the common areas). Having a fridge was also a bonus, so we could stock up on fruit and veg from the supermarket 2 mins walk away. The bed was easily the most comfortable we have slept on in 18 months of round the world travel - not too hard, not too soft!

The common area downstairs was always clean and 24 hour coffee/tea/mineral water was a bonus. The pool was very clean and you can see that the management are trying to spruce it up with new decking etc. Contrary to other reports, we found the staff (especially the lovely cleaning lady) to be friendly and courteous throughout our stay.

For $50 a night, this has to be one of the best value hotels we have stayed in anywhere in the world.....and falling asleep in the hammock on the balcony and waking up to THAT view = heaven

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple