All reviews mini suite main building nachos nice pool public beach budget hotel poolside bar ceiling fan third floor restaurants and shops golf cart laid back beautiful beach romy isla maid cancun
Reviewed July 6, 2018 via mobile

Located across the street from Playa Norte, Posada Del Mar is at a great location. However, if you are looking for a fancy hotel, this is not the place for you. The bed was hard, but I like hard beds. The rooms are air conditioned, and clean. We had an issue with our AC, and we were immediately given a new room. Customer service was good, and we were happy with the hotel. My only negative feedback is that the water cooler does not work and therefore you either have to buy a bunch of water bottles, or drink warm water. Also, there was no safe or fridge in the room. We had no issues and nothing went missing while we were there.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2018 via mobile

First let me tell you what I like about this hotel and why we have stayed here 4 other times in the past. It’s inexpensive, they have a pool and restaurant, you can walk here from the ferry, it’s across from the beach and you can walk everywhere in the town. Now here’s the problem. No one there is friendly. The front desk is rude and terrible and don’t want to help with anything. Even Jorge wasn’t nice this time. If it’s the same Jorge he has been great in the past. They’re not friendly and the service was bad in the restaurant. It’s as though we were bothering them. With so many other options now with those criteria above, we’ll find somewhere else to stay from now on.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed June 10, 2018

It was ok. Room 131 in the newest building (#4) was the best room. We moved from the first one bc it was disgusting and the fridge was caked in mold, nothing like the pictures from the room that we booked. Then we paid an extra $50 to be upgraded to building 4 and we were on the third floor. Great room, but I was ready to check out by day 2 because the bed was so unbelievably hard I couldn't hardly move after sleeping on it. I'm a side sleeper and my shoulder was so sore I couldn't even carry my purse.... they leave the doors open to the empty rooms, so I checked three other rooms until I found room 131 in building number 4. Everything was great then. I paid $351 total for a Monday check in and Saturday check out (5 nights) plus the extra $50 cash to the front desk for the upgrade. So about $80/night. I booked on Hotels dot com (can't mention websites in reviews) which was frustrating because the front desk didn't understand that we booked the middle (more expensive) option, and still put us in an old room; we could've booked the lesser price online, then paid the front desk the $50 upgrade fee and ended up in the same place. The pictures on the room selection and pricing are deceiving, as the pictures from the midrange option are the rooms in building #4. I would recommend the property specifically if they would let you book that specific room (building #4, room 131), which was a King bed and was not nearly as hard as the other beds. Don't stay in the old building, it was awful.... The pool grounds and bar were well kept and very nice. The bartender was great and the food at the restaurant was also good. Air conditioners in the rooms were great and cooled the rooms very fast! Short walk to downtown where all the food is for dinner and breakfast, as well as right across from the beach, which was great to go to the water and the beachfront restaurants. We also walked from the ferry terminal very easily. Walked right up the street and got a golf cart as well. This is a give and take budge property. I see a lot of people posting about the water pressure; we had so much pressure in the third floor room that it flooded the bathroom over the small shower stop, but very little pressure in the first floor room we stayed in on the last three nights (maybe a plumbing issue?).

Room Tip: Request room #131 in building #4 (the newest building).
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LoveJamacia
Reviewed May 5, 2018 via mobile

We booked three rooms at Posada del Mar for my wife and I, my mother & father-in-law, and our two kids. We knew that the hotel wasn't going to be the best, but judging from the pictures on the website, it would be fine for our vacation. The moment we were dropped off at the hotel, we knew we had made a big mistake. The place was an absolute dump. Let me be quite clear: I'm not a pampered American tourist. I know this is Mexico and I always adjust my standards accordingly. I don't mind ants in my hotel room, fixtures and trim haphazardly pieced together, or typical third world atmosphere. It's part of the charm, in my opinion
We were told that our rooms were recently renovated but this was not the case. Each of our three rooms smelled very strongly of mold and black mold was visible all over the walls. There were cigarette burns and dried bodily fluids on all the surfaces and linens. The locks on the doors were barely functional. They only provided a single purified water dispenser down in the lobby. The lobby staff were unfriendly, even after a nice tip to get the ball rolling. There was zero amenities in the rooms...only two stainded towels.
This was my in-laws first vacation to Mexico and their room was an absolute embarrassment. The AC didn't work in their room didn't work so we asked for their room to be moved and the staff begrudgingly accommodated, but each room change offered a subsequently worse room. The final room smelled of mold more stongly than the last two and after the AC unit left a puddle of water a 1/2" deep on their floor, we decided it was time to find a different hotel for our 5 night stay.
In a panic to save our vacation, my wife and I scrambled to find other accommodations for our family over the course of the next few hours after checking into the hotel. Fortunately, we found two rooms at Cabanas Maria del Mar and our vacation was saved. Of course, the staff at Posada del Mar refused to refund our money. Worst hotel ever. You've been warned!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
4  Thank Nathan P
Reviewed April 27, 2018

Best things: Location, right across from a beautiful beach. Two blocks from the main drive Hidalgo where all the restaurants and shops are. It is also on the side of the island with the most beautiful beaches. The staff at the pool area are very nice. The pool is also nice. You may also walk to the ferry (about 4 blocks).

Not so good: This is not the hotel for you if you like fancy hotels and newly renovated ones. Some of the lights in the room did not work. I reported them per arrival and they were not fixed. The beds are a bit hard. The place could use more TLC. The bathroom is not completely private and the shower glass door is open to the room so there is very little privacy in the restroom.

I would go back to this place because for someone who is more laid back in terms of what to expect in a hotel, the location makes up for everything else. It is fairly clean. IF you stay, go see Romi at the poolside restaurant/bar. The nicest guy!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the second floor.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo