“Amazing whaleshark & scuba diving experience!”
Review of Mundaca Divers

Mundaca Divers
Ranked #4 of 49 Tours in Isla Mujeres
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We are a dive shop located in the heart of downtown Isla Mujeres. We take divers out daily to the many wondrous dive spots around the island. We also offer LA MUSA Museun Subaquatic of Art Mexico Diving and snorkel tours, to Isla Contoy, and rent snorkel gear. From May until September, we offer the Whale Shark tour where people have the chance to snorkel with these gentle giants. Please contact us for more information!. 'ask for the private trip to the whale shark'
Reviewed July 27, 2017

What can I say Mundaca Divers is the only dive shop we will visit whenever we visit the island in the future.

Pedro / captain so sorry I forgot his name were outstanding. They took us to la MUSA and then to second dive at a gorgeous reef. Pedro thank you for making me laugh so much. You made my experience more precious. Your passion for preserving the reefs of your home compares to none.

I can't believe I forgot his name. Please correct me if I am wrong (Gustavo). He is simply an amazing person, period. Not even just an employee. He went out of his way to please us. He tried very hard in letting us know he was there for us. He does a very hard and physical job that can easily be overseen. I am very surprised not to have read reviews mentioning him. Regardless, you are doing an amazing job.

We left Isla Mujeres speechless. We got to swim with a 39' whale shark (dream came true).

Thank you Mundaca divers team for making our experiences very memorable.

Your friends from Miami - Mark & Yudi.

1  Thank Yudi L
in 11 reviews
"pata negra"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed July 24, 2017

I brought my fifteen year old goddaughter and her nineteen year old sister to Isla Mujeres to get some more experience under the water, having gotten them certified last year in Hawaii. I wanted to snorkel with whale sharks as well as go diving, so I picked this outfit, which came recommended and does both.

The diving exceeded all expectations for myself and for the girls, and we also had a wonderful day out snorkeling with the whale sharks. The staff were all very friendly and attentive, and helped make the first week of recreational diving for the kids a huge success. The divemasters and instructors took extra care to take us to locations that would better develop their skills over the course of the week, and build their confidence so that they learned to be more and more comfortable under the water as the week progressed. By the end of the trip, the girls were looking forward to doing more and were ready for bigger adventures in diving in the future. I couldn't have asked for more.

I wish I could remember everyone's names, because all the captains, support staff and divemasters were fantastic. Every single one of them had a great attitude and made the trip fun for us. They also were willing to help out with info on things where to eat, how to rent a car, and one of them even plays live music around the island at night, so we had the inside track with the band when we went out for some night life. They weren't just trying to sell me a service, they really helped us have a great time.

Special thanks to Quetzal, Isaac, Zach, Hermanos (?), and Pedro, whose names I do remember. Thanks to you, this week was a memory I'll cherish with the girls for the rest of my life.

mundacadivers, Manager at Mundaca Divers, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2017

Thank you very, very much for you comments we rilly appreciate good feedback. We hope to have the pleasure of diving again with you some day soon. From all of us here at mundaca diver, Salud!!

Reviewed July 23, 2017

Overall a great experience with Mundaca Divers. We were really impressed with both Isaac and Pedro - they each took great care to ensure the safety and comfort of their divers. Even with 50+ dives under my belt, I have always had a hard time equalizing my ears - and dives off Isla Mujeres was no different. Throughout our four dives, both Isaac and Pedro offered advice and underwater assistance to make sure I was able to equalize comfortably and keep up with the group. Some of the dives we did were kind of technical, but we were in great hands.

They both have great knowledge of the island and the underwater wildlife and history. I'd recommend Mundaca Divers to anyone - they fill up so try to make reservations in advance. Also, the diving off of Isla Mujeres was fantastic in general. Punta Negra was probably my favorite dive of all time - it felt like we were swimming through an aquarium with tons of colorful fish and preserved coral reefs.

Reviewed July 17, 2017

Our experience in the shop itself was very positive, and we found the prices reasonable. The problems began when we were on the boat, specifically, with the divemaster/instructor. When I asked him his name, I thought he said "Pedro," but when I repeated it back, he said, "It's Pablo. Don't ever call me Pedro." And then laughed. This is not the problem. I'm just saying I'm not exactly sure what his name was. He was tall with closely shaved hair.

He was hard to understand. I speak Spanish fluently, but not everyone on the boat did (it was actually myself, my husband, and one woman from Puerto Rico), so he spoke in English. The problem was, his accent was so heavy that it was hard to understand him. So both I and the Puerto Rican woman kept trying to ask clarifying questions during his dive briefing. For example, he said something about what to do when we were low on air. I asked him "What PSI do you mean as low on air?" (SInce this is always different, depending on conditions, distance from the boat, depth, etc.) He didn't like us asking questions and said "Can I please finish the briefing without you *attacking* me with questions?" I found that pretty negative, and we were definitely not attacking! The thing was, he had us pretty nervous, because he was telling us that the current was raging pretty hard and that it would be a tough dive. This was concerning, because my husband had only done 8 dives, had never done a drift dive, and had never dived in heavy current. BTW, we had told this to the dive shop. I don't know why he thought it was ok to take beginners on a dive like that. In fact, when I later spoke with the dive-shop owner (who was a very charming, open man), he said he never takes anyone to that site who has under 50 dives.

Anyway, since the current was so strong, it was hard for us to stay together. That's an issue. But the BIGGER issue was that both my regulator AND my husband's were leaking! Protocol in this case is to use your second stage (octo). But I couldn't see mine, because it was in an odd location (tucked into a little sleeve in the BCD). So I swam after him and he gave me his octo while he grabbed mine and gave it to me. Crisis averted. However, just about that time, I looked up, and my husband was at the surface! I motioned to the divemaster. I thought he should go after him. He shook his head. I motioned that I should go after him. He emphatically told me no, and that the captain would have him safely aboard. I worried the rest of the dive, but I also didn't want to ditch the other woman on the boat. Turns out that yes, the captain DID have my husband safely aboard, but my husband couldn't explain what had happened, because the captain spoke no English at all. When we got back on the boat, it turned out that my husband's regulator was ALSO leaking and that he panicked and swam to the surface. I was furious. I said "You've got three passengers aboard, and two out of three regulators are leaking?" He deflected by saying that we should be better divers and know what to do in these circumstances. Ok, maybe. But l'm a divemaster. I know what to do. I just could not see my octo because of where it was stowed. I told him he should have covered the location of the octo in his briefing. He was defensive. It got very heated. The fact remained--2/3 of the rental gear on the boat was defective, and there were no spares. And the instructor was not even apologetic.

My husband refused to go on the second dive. I was torn, because I also didn't trust the equipment (this should NEVER happen). But I didn't want the other passenger to go alone with this abrasive man, so I agreed to go IF I COULD DIVE WITH HIS REGULATOR. I knew THAT one would be working, right? Anyway, we switched, he dove with my second stage, and the dive proceeded uneventfully.

We did not tip well. Because we were PISSED. I mean, this is life-saving equipment. This is NOT ok. For a shop that busy, they should be maintaining their equipment and testing constantly.

I was so angry (and rattled, really, because this is dangerous!) that I called the owner, who was out of the country having a medical procedure. As meantioned, he was gracious and apologetic. He said he'd look into the equiment maintenance issue, and talk to the divemaster. The divemaster, he said, was a second-generation instructor; his father had worked at Mundaca, as well. He said he'd never have a complaint. Well, I found him to be arrogant, defensive, abrasive, difficult to understand, and RECKLESS. Why wasn't he on top of what was happening with my husband? Did he even look around to stop this before it happened? No.

I just want to add that I have over 150 dives under my belt and I am a divemaster (as I mentioned earlier). So I feel that I am pretty qualified to make these judgments. I've never seen anything so appalling in my life.

Net-net, I recommend you stay away from this shop. There are many others on Isla Mujeres--like Aqua Adventures, who I highly recommend--who are safe, friendly, and who maintain their equipment. Go with one of those instead, until Mundaca gets it together. I don't know how you'll know whether they get it together or not....but I'll tell you I'll NEVER go back.

These are not my opinions, they're facts. I'm not saying "I didn't like him." I'm saying he put us at risk, and that is egregious.

My final conclusion...STAY AWAY.

1  Thank briannapstevens
mundacadivers, General Manager at Mundaca Divers, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2017

When approached by certified divers we treat them as such. During
their adventures abroad they generally hear a lot of accents but know
what is essential pre-dive information was taught in their courses. In
our pre-dive briefing all essential information is covered every time,
and if a diver misses something it is their responsibility to ask
questions at that time. We always allow time for answering questions after the briefing.
The flexibility to personalize our services is allowed to us by our
small groups of a maximum 6 to 1 diver to guide ratio. The dive master
in this case did advise me that she had received poor training and
wanted something easy for herself and her buddy. We recommended that she
do a shallow reef and statue garden dive but she insisted on a shallow
drift dive.
Before the dive just like any, all the equipment was assembled and
checked on the dock before leaving. Obviously use wears down the
equipment and in this case if they didn’t check all the mouth pieces on the
regulators and two had small holes in them. Which is not
usually a big enough problem to ruin a dive unless the certified diver
is unfamiliar with the equipment they are using. If a client who is a
certified dive master needs an equipment orientation we are always
available to explain what the equipment does and where to find the
alternate air source on its clip in the triangle shape formed by the
chin and corners of the rib cage. Certified divers are also responsible for doing their pre-dive check and buddy check they were taught in their courses. This helps to ensure that their equipment has no issue before entering the water.
Working in the national park we are asked to always have surface
support available so divers are never left unsupervised on the surface
or underwater even during unexpected ascents. If a diver decides to
surface on a drift dive for any reason, the remaining divers must be
supervised by a guide, unless they decide to immediately join their buddy
at the surface all together. So remember to ask questions and you
will get all the information you need. We are always available to help.
Dive safe.