“Private and Peaceful”
Review of Punta Piedra

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla Mujeres
Punta Piedra
Reviewed 5 January 2009

Stayed at Punta Piedra 2 for one week. Amy the owner, was extremely helpful and very welcoming especially as we arrived one day late due to a flight delay. She came to check that we had arrived safely! She's very helpful and it's obvious she loves having people stay at her place. She is one of those really nice people who is happy to help you with anything she can.
Booked through Mornings in Mexico, Theresa the contact person was really helpful sending details of ferry times, local information etc. it was accurate and invaluable.
The accommodation is exactly as described on the web, no surprises, it's really clean, there is a view of the ocean and the apartment is on the beach. It's not ideal for swimming as the coast line is rocky however you can play with the waves and this is a very small island you don't have to go far to find a sandy beach and there is a lot of fun to be had beach combing outside the apartment for shells and other marine life.
One word of advice, the last ferry leaves Cancun for the island at 23.30 as Therese had indicated. However, the taxi person at the airport told us it didn't leave until 24 ensuring that we paid a very inflated price to reach a ferry that had already left 20 mins before hand. BELIEVE THERESE NOT the taxi company. We ended up having to spend extra $ on a hotel for the night.
Speaking of taxis, it's better to check before getting into the taxi how much the fare will be. It costs 30 pesos from Punta Piedra 2 to downtown. A scooter is a great way of seeing all the island has to offer and gives you a little more flexibility in getting around. It costs about 350 pesos per day.
There is a supermarket but the range of food is really limited - butter in particular is almost an endangered species. You can't buy fish either and if you need to have anything like peanut butter, or some other favourite item, bring it with you.
There are a number of good restaurants and it's fun to try them, in general the food is good, good value for money and authentic. The centre of town is fairly contained, easy to walk around etc. The shop owners will practically drag you into their shops but they don't bite! The area transforms at night with restaurants and tourists taking over the streets to enjoy a cocktail or beer. The atmosphere is lovely but awash with street entertainers who are really noisy. Cocktails and beer are the mainstays of libation, wine is expensive and often not palatable. One French restaurant we ate at didn't have French wine !
All in all, the island is pretty, the food is good, the supermarket is challenged but you can always go to Cancun if you crave something. It;s a lovely place and Punta Piedra 2 is in a very quiet, private location. It's good value for money too!
Finally, don't bring travellers cheques with you - you can't cash them anywhere, just bring your credit and debit cards, your swimsuit, SPF and have fun!

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 November 2008

We really enjoyed our stay at Punta Piedra I
It was our first time staying on the south end of the island and loved being in the pool watching the carribean waves crashing. we were hoping to snorkle while we were there but the waves were too strong during our stay.
it was helpful that there was a mini fridge and sm. kitchenette since we were away from town.

Yo <3 Isla Mujeres!

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank emilygillespie
Reviewed 7 September 2008

Stayed at Punta Piedra with my son (20s) & had an excellent time. Reading in a lounge chair by the pool & ocean in the morning, seeing the sights on & around the island during the day, quick dip in the pool in the afternoon, dinner in town trying to guess where the other tourists were from. We walked into town one day & took cabs in & out of town the rest of the time. The frig & coffee maker in the kitchenette were invaluable. There was even coffee provided. Having a TV & safe in the room was nice. We booked via Mornings in Mexico, even though we made our reservations only a few days before we got there, everything went smoothly. Can't wait to go back!

Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed 14 January 2008

My husband and I spent December 11-29 2007 at Punta Piedra. We were very comfortable there, we were made very welcomed by Amy when we arrived and appreciated her sense of humor, her wanting us to be comfortable and to have a good time. Very laid back!! The accommodations were fine for us, we don't need a lot of fancy shamcy stuff to have a great vacation. It was very clean and tidy all the time, and I really liked the pool to cool off in when the sun actually did shine haha!! Your neighbors are certainly close, we never felt imposed upon at all. We chose most of the time to walk into town, which was a comfortable 20 minute walk which after eating all that fried food was helpful. The taxis are cheap, but we like walking so it worked for us very well. It was a nice quiet little spot in a busy world, and with the waves breaking gave us a sense of being away from town.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kathryn H
Reviewed 3 January 2008

My husband and I just returned from a week stay at Punta Piedra in Isla Mujeres, and we have nothing but positive things to say about this place. Given we were traveling during the busy holiday season, we booked the property months in advance. Maria (our booking POC) was extremely helpful; she promtly answered all of our questions and even sent us very detailed directions on how to arrive to Isla Mujeres and to Punta Piedra. Amy (the owner) made us feel very welcome during our stay and even let us borrow her iron :O)

Definitely a place for the relaxed traveler who wants to experience island living... a simple room with a breath-taking ocean view and the sound of waves crashing as you rock on a hammock by the pool!

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 November 2006

My husband and I leave Saturday for yet another stay. I initially found Punta Piedra surfing the web. We were introduced to Isla Mujeres on a day trip from Cancun. We promised ourselves next time we vacationed in this area it would be on the island. I can't recall if this is our third or fourth stay but we enjoy it there. In April of 2005 we invited my brother and his family to come with us. They stayed in the house next to our unit. It's far enough from town that you can relax and have a feeling of seclusion as there are no properties connecting to the units. In reading the reviews I have to disagree with the feeling of lack of privacy. The grounds keepers no way interfered with our stay. Yes, they were out early in the morning doing their work. It gets hot "soon" at certain times of the year. They were very kind to us as were Amy and her husband. The beach may not be what people are looking for it. It isn't all smooth sand but I think the rocks enhance the sound of the waves coming into shore. I found it very soothing to listen to. The kitchen is more than adequate for your needs. It's perfecting for fixing breakfast and lunch. We always chose to dine out in the evenings. It gives you the opportunity to interact with the local people. I would like to add they are lovely, friendly people. My only regret is I don't speak their language but all in all we manage to communicate our destinations to the taxi drivers. There is no shortage of them and they are very helpful and courteous. I don't forsee us not returning every chance we get

• Stayed: April 2005, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank susieq84066
A TripAdvisor Member
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 17 July 2006

I've heard some people say that Punta Piedra is good for what you pay for, and I still don't know if I agree. Granted, it's not expensive, but there are a lot of other places with similar rates that I bet would be a little more comfortable than my stay at Punta Piedra was.

Please understand that I'm not a prissy guy. I don't need things to be perfect or anything. That being said, I didn't get a decent night's sleep there until about the third or fourth night, when I finally got the sense to take some sleeping pills and buy some earplugs. The pills were because the bed was ridiculously uncomfortable - a thin, lumpy mattress with no box spring on two twin bed frames that had been lashed together. The earplugs were to drown out the sound of the swamp cooler, which sounded not unlike there was a twin prop airplane in the living room. (And as far as I could tell it didn't have a thermostat to automatically switch off. It was either on all night or off, and let me tell you, when it's June in the Mexican Riviera, you don't dare turn the a/c off...) It was also to cover the noise of the manager's dogs who like to stay up barking all night. (They also like to jump out of the bushes and bark at you when you walk down the sidewalk. If I was afraid of dogs, I would have been legitimately scared.)

There are plenty of good things to say about PP also. The view from the upper balcony is pretty striking. The place is furnished and provides you with most of what you'll need for your stay there, including bottled water, a cooking range, refrigerator, toaster oven, blender, etc. The pool is small, but we enjoyed it quite a bit. It's perfect for a quick dip to cool off in the middle of the day. The place is clean and well-cared for.

It's also worth noting that the construction that was mentioned in a few other reviews had been pretty much wrapped up by the time we were there.

Punta Piedra isn't a BAD place to stay, but next time we'll find someplace different. You can find much more comfortable accomodations with a much better location on the island for the price you pay. And you might not need earplugs, either...

• Stayed: June 2006