“Relaxing and authentic paradise!”
Review of Ixchel Beach Hotel

Ixchel Beach Hotel
Ranked #5 of 38 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed 25 April 2011

My husband and I have a teenager and an eight year old son and everyone rated the vacation a 10! There was something there for everyone to enjoy. The water was the prettiest I have ever seen with fantastic beach access. We snorkeled, explored the island, fished, went to the turtle museum, and just relaxed on the beautiful beach. We loved being able to walk into an authentic town for dinner and shopping. We always felt extremely safe and loved being in a destination where real people live. The locals are very gracious and kind. A perfect trip and the Ixchel hotel was an ideal location. North Beach is the best on the island--calm with lots of white sand. Service is relaxed but excellent!

Room Tip: We stayed in Rod Dixon's condo 405-406.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank angie550
Write a ReviewReviews (1,429)

Reviewed 24 April 2011

This was our 2nd stay and this time we rented a beachfront penthouse. Amazing views from sunrise to sunset. Close to shopping and restaurants.

Equally joyful is a fellow named Mauricio. He is bright, professional, always smiling, and extremely helpful. I watched him "take care" of older and younger folks. Sky is the limit for this fine young man.

Enjoy Isla Mujeres and if you can, stay at Ixchel Beach Hotel. Great views and good people.

Room Tip: Beachfront, penthouse if possible.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank SolarMike
Reviewed 18 April 2011

We've been to Isla numerous times and have even stayed at Ixchel in the past. This time we traveled during Spring Break with our two children (9 & 11). Ixchel was the perfect choice. The combination of beach and pool was key. It's not very often you find a spot with the two so close to each other. The beach is wonderful for children and adults. You can walk out a fair distance and only be waist high. The calm waves and clear water make it a relaxing time for everyone! We were able to spot a starfish laying on a sandbar and some baby stingrays.

Our accommodations were a perfect fit (509/510 West). I can't say enough about the wrap around deck! Outfitted with lounge chairs, sofa, cafe table, etc. it was such a nice private spot to unwind. The master bedroom was comfy and spacious with a large window looking directly at the ocean. What an incredible way to wake up each morning! I should also mention that the shower even has a window with an ocean view! We felt spoiled in every way; the beds even had extra foam pads on the mattress.

When we return next year Ixchel will be our 1st choice.

3  Thank TVLR792
Reviewed 15 April 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at Ixchel Beach Hotel from March 31-April 7th for a quiet getaway. Isla Mujeres and the Ixchel staff made this vacation the best vacation that I have ever been on. Although we booked a standard room without a balcony, we still were able to enjoy the beautiful view of the beach, garden and ocean. Upon arrival, we were greeted by a very friendly employee who was able to upgrade us to King sized bed, rather than two doubles as our initial booking included.
We were at the hotel no more than 30 minutes and rushed out to the beach! On our way out we were also greeted by Mauricio, the concierge. He was extremely helpful to us - welcoming us to Ixchel and Isla and was able to give us a good idea of how to spend our time without being pushy whatsoever. We felt comfortable with him immediately!
My boyfriend is an avid fisherman and has been his entire life, so at least one fishing trip was definitely on the list of to-do's while on the island. We described to Mauricio what we were looking for and he was able to match us up with a boat captain named Jorge, and his boat hand Humberto. It would be an understatement to say that they are quite the dynamic duo. Jorge was friendly and talking to us the entire fishing trip, something that I found not to be true of any other tourists that we talked with that also booked fishing trips. His boat was nice, clean and he offered beverages, tips and a great history and background of the island and the culture. Jorge went out of his way to make sure we were onto fish and that we were having a good time. We ended up with 6 barracudas on our first trip!! My boyfriend ended up having so much fun that he decided to go out again with Jorge and Humberto again for trip #2, where they caught more barracuda and red snapper. Jorge also works at a restaurant and they fileted the fish and cooked it for us immediately, only charging us for the fixings. It was an amazing feast! I would definitely recommend fishing with Jorge. He was friendly, fun and put us onto some amazing fish!
Ixchel sits right on (in my opinion) the most amazing part of Playa Norte. It is the perfect location for swimming, wading and simply lounging around. The servers from the Comono Bar were very attentive and helpful. We especially enjoyed our time when Daniel was bar tending, as he was fast, funny and very entertaining.

Unfortunately while in Isla, I needed to see a doctor. The staff were so helpful in helping me translate what I needed to. Dr. Sallas was able to come and see me within 30 minutes and I was off to the pharmacy with my prescription. The front desk staff were so kind and helpful as I was trying to get what I needed. A huge thank you to all of you!

The location of Ixchel was absolutely perfect for our trip to Isla. Settled right outside of the main street, Hildago, it provided us quick and easy access to the shopping, restaurants and bars down town. The one thing that I can say that is different about Isla, is that I felt safe where ever I was. It has that lovely small town feel that you simply just fall in love with.
During our time in Isla we rented a golf cart - also made simple thanks to the staff at Ixchel:) We had a blast whizzing around the island and stopping where ever we wanted. We snorkeled at Garrafon and also made it out to the South Point to walk around the sculpture gardens and other side of the island.

A few of our favorites for food and drink were:
La Luna - Best Mojitio I have EVER had. Amazing view and friendly people included!
Sunset Grill - Chicken and Bacon Alfredo Pasta
Rolandi's - Great Pizza
Itallian Caffe and Gelateria Frase - Fantastic Gelato!
Ballyhoo - By far our favorite. Great seafood pasta and filet Mignon was huge and to die for...
Mocambo - Great nachos and steak tacos

Overall, our trip to Isla was absolutely phenomenal. It was everything that we were looking for and we loved it so much that were headed back for another short trip in August. We have already decided that we're staying at Ixchel again, this time we may be trying the other building. For our first stay we stayed in 2-507. Housekeeping was spot on and thoroughly cleaned our room, I was impressed daily. Also a very nice addition was that Ixchel provided a 5 gallon water jug right in the room. It came in so handy as we were able to fill up whenever we needed to!

I would recommend visiting Isla Mujeres and Ixchel to anyone! We had an amazing time.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank HeatherMarie019
Reviewed 10 April 2011

Well, darn... my novella of a review disappeared before I posted it. The abbreviated version:

This condo hotel operates like a small, polished beach hotel. And you can book a single, standard room instead of a 1- or 2-bedroom condo. We had a standard room for the first night before our condo became available. It was a lovely room - 103, close the lobby, which was a little loud, and there weren't sliding glass doors like most units have. But the interior is nicely decorated, spacious, and comfortable.

Our condo was #109/110 in Ixchel #1, which is on the left if you're looking at the place from the beach. It's uber stylish, the layout is wonderful (the second bedroom is set up like a suite, which gives it a lot of privacy) and the decor and kitchen are very high-quality. The wraparound patio is fantastic. We ate breakfast there each morning. And it's 10 steps to the sand, a nice consolation for not having a view from a higher floor. We liked coming back to the patio from the beach, kicking off our sandy shoes and leaving our wet stuff on the patio instead of dragging it inside. But if you have scuba equipment or something valuable that you like to dry outside overnight, you'll want a higher floor with a secure balcony.

Bathrooms are huge, marble, contemporary. Lots of hot water. One shower's hot water wouldn't turn on right away. Just had to turn off water then turn it back on.

Music from Chimbos, a beach club in front of this unit and not owned by Ixchel, went on all day until 10 or 11 pm. It bothered me - I'm hyper sensitive about it - but not nearly as much as usual, which just proves how relaxed I was on this trip.

Plenty of beach chairs and umbrellas to go around. If you don't get up at 7 am to throw your towel on a chair, don't worry - you'll get a chair and umbrella. The beach attendant will set up whatever you need, if all are taken. If you want to reserve, go right ahead. Some people do.

Lovely part of the beach for walking, swimming, and people-watching. It's pretty active here - music from beach clubs behind you starts at 10 or so. I've rented chairs down toward Cabanas Maria del Mar in the past, and it was quieter. But these chairs are nicer, and the to-your-chair service is better.

Beach vendors aren't bothersome. Some have pretty good stuff.

Great location. You won't need a cart on a daily basis. It's even an easy walk to (and from) the grocery store at the other end of Hidalgo.

We booked 109/110 on VRBO from owners Dean and Cindy Smith. I recommend them without reservations. They are professional and helpful. And know how to decorate a beautiful, comfortable condo.

Easy walking distance from ferry dock, too. First time we walked to and from the ferry. A man ported our bags on a cargo bike.
Feel free to PM me with questions.

Room Tip: Ground floor=easy beach access. High=view.
5  Thank IndyMegan
Reviewed 6 April 2011

We had a great time at the Ixchel. We have stayed on the island before, but were so impressed with our accomodations and the beach at the Ixchel that we will definitely stay there again on a future visit. The location was perfect, the beach and pool great and the friendly staff made our visit memorable. We were especially impressed with the attitude and helpfulness of the concierge, Mauricio.
The hotel is located on the north end of the island where the beach is the best for swimming. When you walk out of the hotel, you are on the main street where many of the restaurants are located. As is the case with every hotel I've stayed at in Mexico, the mattress was too hard for me, but the room was spacious and clean. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank akatoonces
Reviewed 4 April 2011

This is the second time we stayed at this hotel, and we wll be back. Last year my husband and I came back to Isla Mujeres for the first time in 30 years. Thirty years ago there were no hotels on this lovely spot of the best beach on the island. We took a chance on Ixchel Beach Hotel, and were not disappointed.
This year we brought our two grown children and significant others. They loved it too.
The understated, casual and contemporary design of the suites and bedrooms are lovely. The views from the oceanfront rooms are indescribable. The hotel staff is always more than accommodating. (this year we had a medical emerency, and the staff went above and beyond to find us a doctor.....who sent his assistant to our room to provide medical care....unheard of in the USA)
The location is perfect! On the best beach of the island, North Beach....wide white sandy beach. The "town" is a five minute walk away, where you can dine in one of the many restaurants, bars....shopping.....a grocery store, etc. You can rent mopeds, bikes, golfcarts within walking distance from the hotel to travel the remote areas of the island.
The hotel staff, and concierge, Deiby, will go out of their way to provide anything you may need or want. There is a restaurant that serves breakfast, lunch, and drinks on the beach or your room...great food and service! The staff are all so friendly and make you feel right at home.
We will be going back to Ixchel again, hopefully, next year. We were happy to share it this year with our kids, who loved it as much as we do.

Room Tip: splurge for the oceanview room..it's worth it!
3  Thank dtterryde