“Sweet little cabin on the sea”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla Mujeres
Su Casa Beach Cottages
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Sweet little cabin on the sea”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2010

I have stayed there twice now for several days at a time, and I think of it as my little cabin by the sea. Nothing fancy, it just has the basics, but the woman who runs it is very sweet and I am sure I'll be back again. It's just a great place to chill. I like that it is not by the north beach where all the action is. I went to that big, noisy beach one day, but much preferred the quiet beach right in front of my door. There are several places within walking distance for meals and cabs are cheap if you want to go downtown. Perfect unless you are looking for fancy digs or lots of activity. I'm a single female and felt perfectly comfortable by myself on Isla. I'd recommend this, but with the understanding that it's a cabin-like experience, not a resort experience.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank sunseeker43501

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2009

Staying at Su Casa on Isla Mujeres was the most relaxing vacation I've had in my life. It has the most beautiful location on the island with its own private beach and wonderful vistas. If you want a relaxing, reasonably priced vacation, this is the place to stay. The rooms cover basic requirements: bed, bath, kitchenettes with table and chairs. We were greated with fruit and fresh fruit juice. If you need an all-inclusive place to stay, this is not it. If you want to experience the natural beauty of Mexico, including the friendliness of its people, Su Casa is for you.

• Liked — Private beach
  • Disliked — Can't think of a thing
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank airedale50
CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2008

I am not sure what all the negative reviews are and if we were even at the same place !!!!!!

Su Casa is an inexpensive place to stay on a secluded island in Mexico, what more can you ask for???

Its not very expensive and it's location is the best on the island. Its on a super private beach even bigger than most of the beaches of the big hotels. No TVS and phones - perfect for privacy.

The owner is wonderful older woman who treats everyone like her grandchild, she has lived on the island for almost 40 years - and will do anything to make you feel at home and knows EVERYTHING about the island. Marcos and his family are the caretakers and our very helpful and they seem like a lovely family.

It's not the Ritz but for the price you cant beat it, each cottage has its own kitchen so you can cook some meals or hitch a ride into town with the owner and cabs go by all day for $5. There is also a local bus for maybe 50 cents at the end of the street that will bring you into town. If you are looking for luxury this isnt the place and how could it be for such a low-low price.

We didnt spend much time in our room except to sleep and eat breakfast, most of the time we were out exploring all the island had to offer......we had everything we needed.

Its actually a hidden JEM and I hope many people dont find out about it, it's really the last of its kind in Mexico.

• Liked — The location and the beach
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KCW1
Madison Wi
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2008

I can deal with the iguana, they are harmless and actually eat little bits of food you throw at them. They are sort've beautiful.I can deal with the multitude of lizards. They are cute. I can deal with the dogs. They are mangy but loveable and love to run and play. The ocean view is perfect. At night you see cancun like a string of christmas lights on the horizon. The place is badly managed. Marco and his family are just plane creepy and if by chance he tells you he has a safe I don't know if I'd believe him. Since when I got my passport and ID's back he told me to check them ans see if everything was still there. The grounds are badly maintained. Not once did anyone come to clean our room and there were red fire ants everywhere! I think there is still a broken street lamp up in one of the trees from the last hurricane. I can even deal with getting my own water and carrying back to my room. My wife and I decided we could do a better job of maintaining this place than the current owners. Mini pine cones underfoot anyone OUCH rake man rake. Plus on getting there marco and his lovely wife tried to get tell us we had only paid $100 deposit when we had paid a $150 deposit and would not believe us till we showed him the receipt. Your water comes from a water jug with a sorta hillbilly pump on the top of it. I can even deal with the flying cockroaches. Its an island man. Everything about this place is in bad repair. Most of the hotels around the area have B&B's or bars or even little beer and taco places connected to them. Marco? Marco is non-existant most times. One day I saw him working. Painting, pulling down coconuts, digging holes for seaweed other than that I do not know what he and his wife and children actually do there beside sit in there little room. The lack of good gardening is apparent everywhere on site. This place could be really beautiful with a little elbow grease and some TLC but i don't think thats going to happen anytime soon. All I can say is at least the ocean was there. The owners don't care about there property. The managers don't care about the property. So when you get there thats exactly what it looks like.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — Marco and his family and the newyork owners
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank ciginmycoffee
Republic, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2007

After viewing many pictures and reading other reviews of Su Casa, my now-husband and I decided to honeymoon there. Unfortunately, our stay coincided with Hurricane Dean, which I'm sure contributed to the many problems we had during our stay. First, the property is owned by an American couple, but actually managed by a Mexican family who speak little English; all communication is done through the couple in New York. We were told that "Marco" would be there to meet us, and was aware that we would be arriving late. However, "Marco" and his family had already evacuated the island in preparation for the hurricane when we arrived, but no one thought it necessary to tell us that. After spending $15 to cross over to Isla Mujeres, we were left stranded at an empty property miles from the main port and quite far from other hotels, in the dark, with a storm approaching. Days later, after the storm had come through, we were unable to make contact with the owners in the United States, and after many, many attempts, finally touched base with "Marco." We intended on staying at a nearby hotel for the reaminder of our trip, because we were so turned off by our initial experience at Su Casa, and because the hotel had a pool, but were told that we would be unable to recover our deposit. We spent two nights at Su Casa, and were still disappointed. The cottages are very basic, and ours was not at all clean. The family in charge was not often there, and we had a hard time obtaining toilet paper and towels. The beach was a mess as a result of the hurricane, almost entirely covered in debris, but no one started to clean it up until the day we left. There are also stray animals that roam the area, including two specific cats and a large pit bull (who actually may belong to the managing family, as he seemed to be "guarding" the property, but who was never treated like a pet in front of us). Be aware that these animals will come right up to your patio and try to get inside your cottage. There are also very large iguanas that live immediately outside the cottages, and who are not afraid of humans, in addition to the many small lizards and large roaches we found inside the cottage itself.

As I said, I understand that many of the problems were likely the result of, or exacerbated by, Hurricane Dean. That being said, we would have appreciated a little more accommodation and at least the appearance that Su Casa wanted us there as guests. If you are not a very outdoors-y person, and do not speak any Spanish, I definitely would advise against Su Casa.

• Liked — Proximity to beach
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Laura V
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2007

My sister and I just returned from Isla and I am in love with the island! We stayed at Su Casa on Sac Baja. There are 7 rooms with kitchens right on the beach. While the rooms are rustic, the price is reasonable ($78 per night) and the location stunning. We awoke every morning to birds and surf (and a few cats who knew a softie when they saw one). We also spent time next door at Zamas Beach Club which had comfortable chaises and decent food. For the cost of a drink or snacks, you can lounge all day. The only downside is that it does do lunches for party boats from Cancun, but not every day. There are other restaurants within walking distance - Casa Rolandi was our favorite. The Turtle Farm seems to be partially open. The "museum" piece was running, but there was one dirty tank with too many turtles that was very sad. Everytime we walked by, we wanted to set them free.
Isla Mujeres is a slice of heaven close to Cancun in distance, but worlds away in essence.

6 Thank catzen