Casa de las Columnas
Hotel Maria Jose(Merida)(Great Value!)
US$30
US$40
  • Breakfast included
US$95
US$38
Hotel Casa Lucia(Merida)(Great Value!)
US$112
US$74
Hotel Casa San Angel(Merida)(Great Value!)
US$78
US$55
Hotel Casa del Balam(Merida)(Great Value!)
US$65
US$59
Luz En Yucatan(Merida)(Great Value!)
US$69
  • Pool
US$275
US$222
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Though the experience was not terrible, I guess you could do much better than this.

We arrived in a group of 5, having reserved many days in advance. They told us there was a problem in their system and so we did not have a room (it was supposed to be a double and a triple room, but only the double was there).
We slept 2 in the single (the bed was big so it was ok for us since we were friend and all young travellers; for others it could have been worse), and move to another room the day after.

We appreciated that they moved the two of us in a suite the following day. While we appreciated the effort to repair, I have to say it was very old (as the rest of the hotel), and not very clean.

The most annoying thing was that the hotel was full of mosquitos. I know it could be the area. But the swimming pool (not very usable; small and more fancy than usable) and many plants contribute.

Also, the hotel is about 25 minutes walking from the center, so location is not great.

Moral: we only stayed 2 days, we were young, and very adaptable after having travelled extensively. I guess for others, and especially who plan to stay more days this is not the best solution available in the city.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tommaso1989
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We booked this hotel online - 2 double rooms for ourselves and our daughter and boyfriend, so basically 2 couples - 50's and 20's. We have travelled widely, we don't need frills and flounces, our bottom line is safe and clean. The hotel advertises free parking, swimming pool and city centre location. It boasts beautiful rooms decorated in period style with antique furniture.
We pulled up outside the hotel and I went to check in. The guy on reception barely lifted his head as I walked in. I gave my name - in my best Spanish, which admittedly is not brilliant but at least I tried! For some reason I felt unhappy with first impressions, and for the only time in over 3 weeeks I asked to see the rooms. The building was beautiful from the outside, but the rooms were truly awful. No windows, no aircon, fans so high they were just not effective. They were dark, dingy, stuffy and unwelcoming. The bathrooms were nice though. The bedding in the first of the 2 room he showed me just looked grubby, infact, really grubby. The 'antique' furniture is junk. The swimming pool is not a swimming pool, it is tiny - not even 2 decent breast strokes across. The only seating area outside of the dark and airless rooms was completely taken up by a huge wardrobe that was being sanded and varnished, so there wasn't even anywhere to sit. There was no car park, even though I showed him on the booking sheet that it said free parking. He said we had to park on the road somewhere. It is at least 15 minutes walk away from the centre, which is no big deal, but it is right on the edge of an area that felt quite uncomforatable - you would not feel safe at night and would need to taxi everywhere.
To cut a long story short, I asked my husband to check the rooms, he took one look and said no, so despite the fact that we lost our money we couldn't stay.
I'm sure some people had a lovely time, maybe they had different rooms or different staff on arrival, but we seriously would not recommend this hotel.
This is our first really bad review on TA, but there really are nicer hotels in better locations that charge similar or less than this - see my next review.

Room Tip: Just don't go there
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank G E H
Reviewed July 9, 2013

The rooms are nice, and also the hotel is just on the pictures.

But the staff is not to friendly nor helpful. You should pay everything right aftre you have ordered it (you can have the feeling, they do not trust you).

The hotel is a bit far from the city centre on foot (like 30 mins).
The breakfast is a bit poor.

In total it could be a very unique and perfect place if the staff wouéd be more helpful, nice and friendly. The service is just avarage now.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank winny11
Reviewed May 5, 2013

this is an excellent place to stay, complete with pool and terrace, ideal for exploring merida and its surrounding area. the hotel staff were all very friendly and welcoming. i really don't understand the negative comments made by some other guests because we found them extremely helpful and informative. i would definitely go back there!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank paul m
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We stayed at Casa de las Columnas for several nights during our visit to Merida and were very pleased with the hotel overall. It is in a wonderful historic building with lots of character. The courtyard is lovely and a wonderful place to relax and read while waiting for your travelling companion to get ready or for escaping the heat of the afternoon. The small pool is a great addition - it isn't large enough to really swim, but it perfect for cooling off and hanging out.

The people at the hotel are very gracious - everyone we met was wonderful. I should mention that we are Americans and did not feel that we were treated any differently than the Mexican guests or guests of other nationalities.

The location of the hotel is a bit outside the city center - we walked to the city center many times and it took us 10-15 minutes at a moderate-to-liesurely pace. Taxis are plentiful and very reasonable - 20-30 pesos each way between the hotel and the city center with the metered taxis, 50 pesos with the zone taxis.

There are a couple improvements that I would make to the hotel:

1. Upgrade the matresses and the bedding. Our mattress was very old and leaned significantly to one side - it was not a comfortable bed. The bedding was also old and worn - it was all very clean, but it had all definitely seen better days. At the rate the hotel charges, I did not expect a luxurious bed, but I expected it to be reasonably comfortable.

2. Add a bit of variety to the breakfast. The coffee, juice, fruit, and pastries were good, but it exactly the same each day. With the variety of fruit available, it would have been nice to see that variety at breakfast.

Room Tip: Because the hotel is on a busy street, request a room toward the back of the property. Otherwise you will hear significant traffic in the mornings.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple