“A feast for the eyes”

Nahualli Casa de los Artistas
Ranked #6 of 100 things to do in Merida
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: In the heart of Merida's Historic Center, Casa Estudio was born and continues to grow. It has evolved into a place where contemporary visual art and the solemn elegance of colonial architecture converge, creating an environment at once original and distinguished for its extensive collection of beautiful and masterfully done paintings, sculpture. drawings and prints.
Reviewed July 27, 2018

My friend and I spent a delightful afternoon at the Nahualli gallery. It was like thanksgiving day for the eyes. Abel and Melva were incredibly generous with their time and knowledge and we were fortunate to get a tour of their workshop around the corner. It was truly one of the highlights of my trip and I find myself scrolling through the photos I took of their art work quite often. If you love art and wonderful people, this is a must do while in Merida.

Date of experience: July 2018
"charcoal"
in 4 reviews
"emotions"

Reviewed July 25, 2018

My friend and I visited Nahualli Casa de los Artistas after reading about t on Trip Advisor and we were not disappointed. Well located and easy to find, we were warmly welcomed by Abel Vanquez - who we discovered to be one of Mexico's premier artists. He spoke no English and we, no Spanish but that did not deter the warmth from reaching us as we enjoyed the beautiful paintings adorning the walls of this gallery. We were joined by his charming wife Melva and daughter both of whom spoke English. The paintings, we learnt painted by Abel, his wife Melva and daughter as well - all different styles but clearly talent runs in this families genes! The afternoon was well spent in their company as we chatted and enjoyed the art. Highly recommended for art lovers as this was certainly a highlight of our trip to Merida.

Date of experience: July 2018
Reviewed June 4, 2018

We visited several galleries and fell in love with Nahualli. This is a family of artist, but the work is not all on the same subject matter. The gallery is an old orphanage from many centuries past, which gives it a very open display arena. We like the work in multiple media from oils and charcols, to wood and bronze. Very Dali in some mannerism, which is where i personlly tend to lean. Do not miss this gallery.

Date of experience: May 2018
Reviewed June 3, 2018

I had the great fortune of going to Nahualli Casa de los Artistas for a school activity. (I did a Spanish immersion with Habla for a week.) We had the opportunity to meet Abel and learn about the gallery, and the pieces, in his words. Through our school activity, we went room to room with students selecting particular pieces in which to focus our attention. I was a great way to really absorb all of the art.
If I am ever back in Merida, I would pop in again.

Date of experience: April 2018