“Authentic Neighborhood Experience”
other travellers have booked this property
LIVING ROOM
BACKGROUND SKY
NIGHT TERRACE
NIGHT STREET
360 CAPTURE EXTERIOR
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Seattle
“Authentic Neighborhood Experience”
Reviewed March 5, 2016 for a stay in February 2016
person found this review helpful

We lived at Casa Frida for the month of February. It is tastefully decorated with an adequately equipped kitchen where I cooked at least one meal a day. On the refrigerator, Katia has a map of the area on the refrigerator which was very helpful to us when we needed to find a market or laundry. The Chen Bech market supplied us with delicious fruits and vegetables for breakfasts and salads. Katia and her mom, Patricia, are professional, working women, but they are VERY quick to respond to text messages or emails. The beds are very comfortable and the pillows even more so! While four people could sleep there, the beds are a wee bit narrow for USA sized bodies. I think one per bed is more comfortable. The WiFi connection was the best we had in two months in Mexico. Netflix availability was a wonderful added perk. The pool area is a heavenly oasis. It was our preferred place to eat breakfast and watch the birds. The location is about a half hour walk to the historic center. It is a 7 peso bus ride to the Gran Mercado and once off the bus a ten minute walk to the Colonial/Historic area. It is between 30 and 50 pesos to take a taxi to the historic center or to Paseo Montejo.You won't hear much English in this neighborhood but the neighbors always have a pleasant greeting and a smile and were very kind and patient with my limited Spanish. But above all we are delighted to have made friends with Katia, Patricia, and their family.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Bed comfort, The WiFi connection, Netflix, The pool and patio, the owners
Liked least: Distance from colonial neighborhood
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Baltimore...
Baltimore, Maryland
“Lovely House & Pool--Welcoming Hosts”
Reviewed August 24, 2015 for a stay in August 2015

My two teenage children and their friend traveled with me to Merida where my son had friends he was visiting. The house itself is lovely inside, as are the backyard and the pool. (And the AC in the two bedrooms works like a dream.) As many have noted, the mother and daughter team that rent the house--Patricia and Katia--are very responsive and welcoming. The neighborhood is a modest one, but appears quite safe, and is about a 30 minute walk to the Centro. August was rather rainy most afternoons and some evenings, so plan accordingly if you visit then. The kitchen was roomy & modern but not well equipped in terms of utensils, but we made do and cooked a lot at home. Great value for the money. Would definitely recommend.

Travelling group: Teenagers
Management Response
2 Sep 2015
Thank you very much for your comments dear Laila, it help us to find out in which areas we can improve and we appriciate it. It was a pleasure having you all and i hope you had a safe return home. Welcome anytime! hope to see you soon.
Katia & Patricia
Richard H
San Mateo, California
“Fantastic Find in Merida!”
Reviewed July 9, 2015 for a stay in July 2015
person found this review helpful

This is a total gem of a house in Merida! I was very impressed as soon as I walked in. The outside is not remarkable (though it was newly painted), but as soon as I walked in, I thought “Wow!!!” I found a very clean, well-decorated and modern home with sparkling white tile floors and designer bathroom. Everything looked like it was professionally decorated, and it has a nice, modern kitchen. It has a small but nice backyard with a wading pool to dip and play in. My kids really enjoyed it. The WiFi was strong and dependable, so you can be “connected” with no worries if that’s a need.

The only thing to watch out for is mosquitoes. There are plenty of them in Merida, and you may have some in the house, so you’ll want to make sure they are dispatched before going to bed. Having the A/C going and ceiling fan on high does help keep any stray ones away from the bed. Also, I read that a spray of vanilla extract mixed with water is a natural mosquito repellent that you may want to try when you go outdoors.

Overall, this is an awesome spot to stay while in Merida. Kudos to Katia and her mom for providing a very classy rental home in Casa Frida!

(Extra note about driving in Merida: The streets can be very confusing! GPS definitely helps! Keep a couple of things in mind: 1) Odd-numbered streets are longer and go East-West, and even-numbered streets go North-South. 2) Some streets have the same number but have a letter after them. For example, you may pass Calle 63a and then the next street is Calle 63b, then Calle 63c. At first, we were totally lost driving around, but we got the hang of it after a little bit.)

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Home was moden, clean and nicely appointed!
Liked least: Mosquitoes
Trapani, Italy
“Good Find.”
Reviewed February 20, 2015 for a stay in February 2015
person found this review helpful

Long term travel hold a particular set of challenges.......for us, all are reduced to creating home while in motion. In our choosing Casa Frida via, both, the profesional and human touch of mother-daughter-friend duo of Patricia and Katia we have once again realized this primary need. * Location.....quiet, private,clean, safe,centro accessible, nearby bus connections (both local and long distance), culture authenticity, neighborhood amenities-laundry, eateries, produce/ fruit markets, dry goods pharmicia ect., and, dwelling integrity, that is, clean, organized, simple, yet, ascetic with experienced, professional, yet, unobtrusive communication and management by and with Katia and Patricia.....in short, in the moment, we hold the intent to revisit this great find soon. Thank you Patricia and Katia for your intelligent caring and sharing of Casa Frida. For now Katheine and I, both, wish you well. bruce

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Self-contained nature....ideal for reading, writing,creative endeavors, contemplation...general chilling out
Liked least: nothing.
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Bowmanmic...
Belleville, Canada
“Quiet oasis for two people”
Reviewed January 23, 2015 for a stay in January 2015
people found this review helpful

This a beautifully appointed Casa, with a lovely serene patio with pool. We enjoyed our morning coffee accompanied by two large iguanas sunning themselves on top of the wall by the pool. A bus takes you from the corner of the street to the Plaza Grande in about 5 minutes. Because we like to do a lot of our cooking, we found that the kitchen was not very functional (very limited counter space, not very well equipped) There was a limited variety of plate and glass sizes, and only 3 coffee mugs. It would be difficult for more than two adults to operate easily in this regard. That said, Katia and Particia were very quick to respond to requests and problems.

Bathroom cleanliness Service
Liked best: The paitio/pool area
Liked least: The kitchen
Your age range 65+
People with disabilities Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
armelle s
“A great base to stay at when visiting Mérida and the area”
Reviewed January 23, 2015 for a stay in December 2014
people found this review helpful

First, sincere thanks from the children and I for the ease with which I was able to rent the house. Katia and her mother made it simple, and they were very pleasant hosts with a sincere interest in getting to know us without being over present at all. We enjoyed inviting them over for cake and look forward to seeing them on a future visit.

The house is located about 20 min on foot from the center. Buses are available in less than a minute walk and are a cheap (7 pesos O/W) option for those unable or unwilling to walk. personally, I liked the location still in the Center but far enough from the Cathedral to not have to deal with the business and noise.

Our hosts were very thoughtful and we appreciated the following thoughts:
1 A decorated Christmas tree and poinsettia plant
- Flowers and piñata
The kids were delighted to see a piñata!

The neighborhood is great and I hope you get a chance to know a few of the delightful neighbors. We enjoyed visiting with several of them and sharing into special occasions such as the Arrullo del Niño Dios.

The house offers great points, such as:
- Location close enough to the center but not IN the heart of the city (as I mentioned earlier)
- The space in front of the house that accommodates a car, which was perfect since I had a rental
- The layout of the home
- The bathroom
- The outdoors space, private and with a place to eat and lounge chairs, some plants and a pool (about 3x5x1m)
- The quality of the beds (they are on the hard side for sure, but this did not bother me one bit)
- Internet access
- The kindness of the hosts, Katia and her mother Patti, which is essential to ensure a pleasant stay
- The willingness to assist with any of your needs (including the older gentleman, Augustín, who helps out with the yard work, etc, and is a sweetheart)

The items below are either opportunities for improvement or things I did not like, and which I informed Katia of:
- The kitchen can be updated
- The kitchen is basically supplied.(These 2 comments may be totally unimportant to most of us on vacation because we tend to go out to eat, but this mattered to me because I was alone with 3 children under 10 and I cooked a lot)
- This is more a dislike: though I found the floors to be gorgeous, they are treacherously slippery when wet, even slightly, and I had to really drill it in my children to never come into the house from the pool without being fully dry and to really take care in not splashing in the bathroom. This would be a non issue were I by myself with adults only.

Overall, Katia and Patti offer a great home and are truly customer-centric. I enjoyed the little touches, the fact too that they were fine with my letting them know where I would head the next day with the kids (I did drag us to remote areas of the state and appreciated the extra level of safety in having them know where we would have spent the day and roughly when to expect an email from me saying we had come back home). This being said, please note that this is a very safe area. Of course, always use common sense and care, but this is about as safe as it goes in México.

I recommend this rental to couples, young or young at heart, as well as to families, but maybe with children a bit older.
I congratulate yet again Katia and Patti for their thoughtfulness. My heartfelt thanks! I know the kids thank you too from the bottom of their hearts.

We hope to see you both soon!

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: Quiet not too far from center, yet far enough
Liked least: Kitchen and flooring (issue with young children and water)
Travelling group: Young Children
Your age range 35-49
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
CMiranda1
“Modern”
Reviewed December 1, 2014 for a stay in November 2014
person found this review helpful

Modern design inside and out. Very artsy. Great price for an entire home. Clean pool and the best part is the hammock. Excellent host.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing