Just returned from a three night stay, not long enough! This resort was gorgeous, the food amazing and the service impeccable. Rooms - We stayed in the Zen section but there was always a shuttle waiting to take us to the beach. The room itself was gorgeous and all the extras (turn down service, Nespresso coffee, rain shower, jacuzzi tub) were perfect. Very clean and private. The birds were a bit noisy in the morning but then we didn't waste the day. Check in was handled smoothly with drinks and cool towels for refreshment and each guest dropped off by shuttle to the area (zen, ambassador and grand class). The beds were super comfy and you can even choose/request one of many different types of pillows!
We made reservations for dinner a week in advance due to near-capacity but had to change them at the last minute. The restaurant staff made sure we were able to eat at the restaurants we had initially asked for. We were asked at the time of reservation, when we arrived at the restaurant, and by our servers if we had food allergies. This happened at every meal, whether breakfast, lunch or dinner. Frida and Sen Lin - the food was AMAZING. I am quite fussy about food - if I'm eating out it has to be something I can't make! The waiters were terrific, usually two assigned to the table and they went above and beyond - offering seconds on appetizers, extra dessert. The portions were small but in a good way as you can always order another appetizer, meal, etc. I mentioned how much I loved the salmon in my husbands meal and they brought out a special plate for me just of the salmon - without me requesting it. The staff was very pleasant. Yes, you are brought out a bill at the end and to be honest we did tip extra but it is not necessary. Definitely have breakfast in-room one morning, it was amazing. Loved breakfast al fresco at Bistro as well.
Pools are all gorgeous and there is a smaller area/shallower pool for kids in the Ambassador (also an enormouse pool!). We did see quite a few families there and all the kids seemed to be having a great time playing ping pong, snorkelling, building sand castles etc. There were also babysitters and the kids club available. The grand class has the adults only pool. All three immaculate and never crowded. No hot tub but we probably would not have used it if there were one. Multiple bathrooms, places to get drinks or towels.
Arrival - I would suggest booking the shuttle in advance or a taxi, but check with the hotel to see how long the shuttle wait is as they will wait for people arriving on different flights.
Beach- the staff cannot reserve chairs for you and the chairs filled up early, but there was always a place to lie out. We loved Carlos who worked very hard to make sure we always had water, a drink or shade. You can order food on the beach. The water is really rocky - large and in some case coral covered. There are artificial breakers separating the swimming area from open ocean and you can use the kayaks, paddleboards, sailboat, snorkels, scuba, jet ski or parasail (additional $$$ but very easy to set up).
Finally, the staff. Everyone was courteous, pleasant and paid attention to detail. It seemed that other issues people had addressed here on tripadvisor have been quickly remedied (ex, the food allergies issue) and the staff not only seemed to anticipate things we needed but if we asked for anything (breakfast at 3 am so we could catch the shuttle to the airport) it was quickly arranged. I like to do things for myself so it is hard to be waited on. I never once got the sense that any staff member was put out or burnt out or anything other than professional. Note: if you want to run, do so on the beach as a staff member will follow with bottled water if you run the strip betwen the jungle and beach sections!
Absolutely fantastic. I cannot wait to go back!!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Velas Riviera Maya is one of the newest resorts to distinguish Riviera Maya as a premier vacation destination. The uniquely Mexican world-class hospitality we provide is "Beyond All Inclusive, Beyond All Compare", and we are proud to be the only family-friendly All Inclusive resort in the Mexican Caribbean to have been rated Five Diamonds by the AAA. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity.ca, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com and Agoda so you can book your Grand Velas Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Velas All Suites & Spa Resort, Riviera Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Velas All Suites And Spa Resort, Riviera Maya
- Grand Velas Hotel Riviera Maya
- Grand Velas Riviera Maya Playa Del Carmen, Mexico