“Outstanding in every way”

Banyan Tree Mayakoba
Ranked #2 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Although we didn't stay at the hotel, we did see a few rooms and dined in the Thai Saffron restaurant which was OUTSTANDING. Best levels of service ever received in Mexico and that's after many many visits! Food as good as the best in Bangkok (also spent a lot of time there) and the setting over the water just beautiful.

The rooms themselves are a work of art. Spacious, inviting, contemporary with some Asian styling that works very well in this part of Mexico. All have such generously sized private plunge pools that put the competition to shame. Next time we hope to stay here and also use their fabulous Spa!

Room Tip: The 'standard' rooms are far from standard.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank laterallife
BTMayakoba, Director General at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2012

Dear laterallife

I appreciate that you took the time to share your kind feedback regarding your dinner at Saffron Restaurant at Banyan Tree Mayakoba.

We are honored to read that an experienced guest has left his valuable feed back.

We well feel very glad to host you at our resort in the near future,

Best wishes,

Area General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,177)

Reviewed 18 February 2012

We went on 1/28/12 for 8 days , that was not enough ! From the villa to the staff and of course the food ! Wow I have been all over the world and the cuisine in this resort was amazing , we did in villa BBQ we had Henry ! Hats of to him he prepared an amazing birthday dinner for me and my boyfriend .. It was perfect ! My favorite that I ate everyday for lunch was the soft shell crab tacos wow wow my mouth is watering right now , that was at the pool on the beach ,,, all of the staff was fabulous every need was met and more , my drink was never empty and anything I needed was already there , I give it 7 stars , everyone if you love luxury and service this resort is a must go even for a weekend , they did not leave anything out . I can go on and on like the breakfast wow they had everything whatever your heart desired the breakfast staff was the best funny funny !! We did some excursions Betty was great we booked a great deep sea fishing tour our own boat she did a great job!
We will be returning soon it's our home away from home O and must go to spa to the rainforest walk!!!!!!!!! O and ask for there special drink I had about 25 cups for the 8 days lol!!!!! I hope everyone go and enjoys like we did !!! Thanks banyan tree it was amazing !!!

Room Tip: The courtyard villa is perfect for 2 people , you can't go wrong with 3,600 square feet !
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear rdiamonds12

I thank you very much for taking the time to write about your good experience you had here in our hotel.

We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and wish to thank you very much for your gracious comments regarding the food, the associates and the villas.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba soon for another retreat.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 9 February 2012

villas are spacious and the outdoor areas are completely enclosed and private. outdoor palapas for reading in the shade and beautiful private pool as well.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear keithjl

It is nice for us to read that you had a good time and that you found our facilities, pleasant. That is what the designer of Banyan Tree Mayakoba looked for.

Wishing to welcome you soon.

With best regards,

Reviewed 9 February 2012

At the time I played the PGA tournament was the next week; the condition of the course was 'incredible'; worth every cent of the $270.00. There is a cave in the middle of the first fairway at about 285 yds that you have to see to believe.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family

Dear KipWilson

Thank you for staying at Banyan Tree Mayakoba. We appreciate your notes you have posted on this website.

We will be glad to have you back a t this Sanctuary of the Senses.

Remaining at your entire disposal,

Best wishes

Reviewed 8 February 2012

I could not have asked for a more perfect, romantic, amazing proposal! As soon as we arrived at the resort I felt as if I was back in Asia. The staff was incredibly friendly and always greeting you with a smile! I have been to many high-end hotels/resorts and this hotel has exceeded my expectations.
Stayed in a Courtyard Pool Villa... all I can say is AMAZING! There are no words to describe this villa.
I was looking to plan the most romantic proposal for my fiancé and Michelle the Concierge made it happen. It was a great 3 hr treatment; 1-hr couples massage (one of the best massages I’ve had), foot scrub, salt scrub and endless treatments at their rainforest spa... We ended up in the indoor Jacuzzi with dimmed lights, candles and our song playing in the background, a beautiful wax bowl floated onto of the water with candles and the ring on a bed or red roses inside the bowl made its way to girlfriend she was in complete shock! I cannot describe the dream we were in!
You must visit this resort to really understand. The only negative is that the website doesn’t give it the justice it deserves!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joseph B
BTMayakoba, Director General at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2012

Dear YoCBoC

It is a wonderful note the one you just shared at the Trip Advisor. I am so happy to read that our staff (especially Michelle) has been of help while planning your proposal. Thank you for providing the detailed description of this magical event to other readers.

Looking forward to welcome you back again,

Best Wishes.

Reviewed 8 February 2012

One of our favourite places in the world to visit. The resort is spectacular and the staff is amazing. We booked for 10 days, and began by renting a car in cancun, which i'd recommend and arrived for our second visit. Could somehow be better than the first visit, the accommodations are great, beds are very comfortable, super clean and each villa has it's own mini pool.

As always, the breakfast buffet is the best, we'd usually have a 2 hour leisurely breakfast trying various things and reading the paper. After we'd head for the beach / pool which is a ways away from the lobby, but great for us as we would usually walk for some exercise. You can also take a golf cart or the small lagoon boat, which is also great.

The restaurants are spectacular, the food and drinks aren't inexpensive but everything is top notch, everything is fresh and very good. eg, no bottled drinks like lemonade, always fresh.

The spa is amazing, I'd certainly recommend the classic thai massage. My friends had mixed reivews on the rain shower, although I didn't try it.

Definitely the best part is the staff, incredibly helpful. There are so many people that make you feel welcome it's hard to leave.

Looking forward to returning again!

Patrick

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank McMurrich77

Dear McMurrich77

On behalf of the Banyan Tree Mayakoba family, I thank you for taking the time to post your kind comments about your stay with us on this Webpage. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed it and that our staff has pampered you and your family-

I appreciate your positive notes about the hotel, and I was very happy to read that you liked the villa, the pool, and other facilities.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to our Sanctuary of the Senses

Best Regards,

Vice president

Reviewed 3 February 2012

I rarely write these, but in this case I feel compelled. This trip was a gift to myself (accompanied by my wife) for my 40th birthday. It would have been difficult to find a better place on earth this close to NYC.

Everything positive you read below/above is true. This is an incredibly unique/gorgeous property. The grounds/food/staff are absolutely first rate and it always feels like you have the place to yourself. My wife described the entire property as 'spa-like.' I went without my kids. From a couples perspective -- if you want a serene, beach-y, five-star which is relatively easily accessed from the East Coast of the U.S. with minimal to zero headache, then this is your place.

The pictures do not lie. The property is incredibly unique, gorgeous and immaculate. The staff and food are first rate. We never felt a need to leave the property and we are not homebodies by any stretch of the imagination (will travel for a researched/recommended meal etc). I was told the place was fairly well booked and yet we always felt secluded. If you want pampered relaxation, then search no further.

I will add one last thought -- my wife and I are almost always outwardly affable (but we are incredibly demanding quietly in our own thoughts). Not once in my thoughts was I thinking anything short of something along the lines of 'this place is first rate' (and I have stayed in five stars around the world).

Room Tip: I would doubt there is a bad room. I obtained a fantastic deal on a travel website and was given a...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank FieldingYost

Dear FieldYost

Thank you for choosing our Hotel to celebrate your 40th birthday and it is great to read that you have had an absolute satisfying experience.

We do thank you for you kind notes regarding our food, associates, installations and other services. We feel proud to know that we have exceeded your expectations.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba.

Warmest Regards,