“November getaway”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“November getaway”
Reviewed 25 February 2012

My husband and I traveled to the Banyan Tree in November for a romantic getaway. We stayed 5 nights and had an amazing time. Our Garden Pool villa was wonderful, very spacious and clean. The nightly turndown service and housekeeping were fantastic providing lots of bottled water, fruit, towels and a little gift each evening. The villa's pool was a nice size, bigger than your average plunge pool. There was also nice outdoor space surrounding the villa with a 2-person hammock, lounge chairs and eating area.

We tried all of the restaurants at the resort. The Oriente breakfast buffet was definitely the standout. There was an amazing selection of fresh fruit and juices along with a variety of hot dishes and pastries. We lingered over breakfast for so long that we often didn't need lunch! Our favorite lunch and dinner option was Sands, the beachside restaurant. The service was great as were the salads and ceviche. Saffron was good, fairly standard Thai fare with interesting rice options. Tamarind was disappointing; food was overpriced and average at best.

The grounds of this resort are stunning, and golf carts are readily available to transport you from the main resort down to the beach. There is also a boat that takes you through the Mayakoba, and the guide provides information on the wildlife. You can also rent bikes and explore the Mayakoba on your own. The main pool, just outside Oriente, is very peaceful, perfect for lounging and reading. The infinity pool at the beach is more lively and offers stunning views of the Caribbean Sea.

The spa is wonderful. I had the traditional Thai massage and have never felt so relaxed!! We also used the gym daily, small but functional. There were 2 treadmills and 2 ellipticals along with limited weight training equipment.

Overall, this is a perfect spot for an escape from reality!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank traveler29556
BTMayakoba, Director General at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
traveler29556

I thank you for placing your recommendation on the Trip Advisor Website. I am happy to know that our staff and hotel facilities have met your expectations. Regarding the Tamarind restaurant, I appreciate your notes and have discussed that with the Food and Beverage Team.

We will be more than glad to welcome you in the near future back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba hotel.

Vice president
Area General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 24 February 2012

As noted in the vast majority of the other reviews, this resort is absolutely fantastic. For those on the East Coast of the U.S., it is also a very short flight to take in order to experience a very remote-feeling resort.

The greeting upon arrival was quite warm, and I thought the welcome drink was a nice way to start of the checking-in process. You are introduced to your resort host, who walks you through the various ins and outs of the resort. After a quick buggy ride to your villa, you enter into paradise, and relaxation mode commences.

Upon entering the villa, you are greeted with the faint scent of incense and the pleasant sounds of a relaxing CD playing. We were in a 2-bedroom courtyard villa, and I cannot imagine a more pleasant layout. Although I would echo prior comments about the 2-bedrooms not being ideal for parents traveling with small children, it is an absolutely spectular set-up for couples, friends, traveling with adult parents, etc. Each and every part of the villa's design is stunning. The use of color, woods, stones and fabrics really did a fantastic job of blending the Asian sensibility of the Banyan Tree heritage with a hint of local Yucatan flavor to remind you of where you are. All in all, I have to say that the bedroom layout and quality (for both bedrooms) was beyond reproach. The beds were very comfortable, and the bathrooms were luxuriously appointed and functional all at the same time. The living room (pavillion) also provided a nice change of scenery if you wanted to get out of the bedroom.

Despite my raves about the bedrooms and pavillion, no review of the Banyan Tree Mayakoba could be complete without mentioning the fantasy-like pools! Although the plunge pool concept is not exclusive to the Banyan Tree, I have never been to a resort with a private pool that even comes close to the size of these pools. You could do actual laps, which was a nice way to combine exercise with sloth-like relaxation. We traveled there during the summer, so I have no complaints about the water's temperature. It was always perfect during our stay. The pool was also regularly cleaned, and we were very satisfied with the quality and consistency of the cleaning.

If you are looking for an active, mingling-type resort, I question whether this would be the property for you, but if you are looking for exclusivity, privacy, relaxation and top-notch service and food, look no further. Each of the staff members, from the housekeeping to the buggy drivers to the resort hosts to the waiters in the restaurants, was spectacular. Never without a smile on their face, they made you feel so welcome at each point of the day. Their positive attitudes were infectious, and you could not help but get swept away in the spirit of it all. We would like to particularly thank our resort host, Laura, who was simply a gem.

The food is also quite fantastic at this resort. I would have to say that it would have been nice to have more "local" fare on offer, but they did a fantastic job of making you forget this after your first meal. The quality of the food was amazing, using the freshest of ingredients and with daring and beautiful presentation. The waiters were also very knowledgeable about the food and quite helpful with suggestions. One tip: try the tasting menu at Saffron; you will not regret it. We ate at each of the restaurants, and I would whole-heartedly recommend each of them. We did not avail ourselves of the opportunity to visit the sister properties in Mayakoba for dinner, and I honestly think there is not much use to doing so, as they have perfectly wonderful food on site.

We did not really make use of the common areas during our stay, but I can say that they were magnificently maintained. You will exhaust the memory card on your camera whilst here. Also, be sure to check out their spa. I tried the Balinese massage and have not found a better experience (well, except for the other Banyan Tree I visited recently). Also, be sure to do the lagoon tour. I thought it would be "hokey", but it was quite nice and showed a lot about the property.

In sum, this is a fantastic resort for those looking to be pampered and get away from the hustle and bustle of reality. The staff here make every effort to make the guests happy, and even when the occupancy rate is fairly high (as it was during our stay), you feel like you are the only ones there. I would not hesitate to return, and in fact, am looking forward to doing so again as soon as possible.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank DCTraveler1979
DCTraveler1979

As we could notice with your review, you had a memorable and relaxing stay at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, I am honored to read that.

I also appreciate a lot that you have pointed out our resort host Laura who is a real example of how valuable each our staff members is.

Thank you for letting us know that we have achieved one of our goals; to make our guest feel pampered and disconnected of daily worries.

I will be honored to welcome you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba

Vice president
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We just spent six unbelievably relaxing and indulgent days here, the only Banyan Tree operation in this part of the world. We upgraded (via some terrific internet options on Orbitz and Jetsetter.com) to the Spa Pool Villa, and it couldn't have been more spectacular. The facility is beautifully designed, a seamless blend of Asian and Mayan themes, and it's all maintained flawlessly. The villa is specious and well-designed, and the staff (while a bit too formal at times for my taste) is friendly, helpful, and well-informed. The breakfast buffet (included in the daily rate) is top-notch, as are the three other restaurants on site: Tamarind (a very serious kitchen serving ecclectic fare), Sands (on the beach and the only real lunch option and great grilled meat and fish options for dinner), and Saffron (a Thai menu with food that's not quite at a par with the others). I think most people (and this is largely a couples resort, though some families are about) spend a lot of time in their villas, where you have complete privacy. The spa facilities are glorious and the staff well-trained.
The only negative: the gym has only two treadmills which is inadequate for a resort of this size. A minor point for such an overall outstanding experience

Dear Pete7070

On behalf of the Banyan Tree Mayakoba, I thank you for taking the time to share all those kind comments about your stay with us.

We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you had encountered our staff service above average.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience with others, and I look forward to welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba.
Best Regards,

New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 22 February 2012

My husband and I were planning our honeymoon and looked at a lot of different resorts in the Reviera Maya belt. Finally, we found this resort on Jetsetter and reached out to them directly for our reservation. The best decision ever! We arrived in the morning at the resort at around 11:30am and were warmly greeted by our host. They were very organized and expecting us at the right time based on our flight details. Although our check-in time during reservation was specified as 3pm, they immediately gave us our villa and didnt make us wait after a long journey. We really appreciated that service. Then we arrived at the villa which was just gorgeous! I dont have words to describe it -- the huge bedroom, incredibly luxurious bathroom, rain shower, pool, jacuzzi, lounge chairs, hammock etc., just WOW!
Since we love being outdoors, we paid for a couple of tours and shows. The resort's agent was very helpful in helping us decide our activities. I'd highly recommend snorkelling and the 'Espectacular show' at Xcaret. We also did a one day visit to the mayan ruins and pyramid.
We also dined at all the 4 restaurants in the resort. Our favorite was the beach restaurant called 'Sands'. They have the most delicious appetizers and drinks! We also enjoyed the excellent ambience of the Thai restaurant called 'Saffron'. We had a wonderful dinner under the star studded sky right by the water. The other restaurant called 'Tamarind' was nice -- but a little expensive over the others. Plus, being vegetarians, there were fewer options. All in all, we had a great time at the banyan tree and so glad we chose this for our honeymoon!

3 Thank Sangeetha20
Dear Sangetha20

We are grateful that you have chosen the Banyan Tree Mayakoba for your honeymoon, and we appreciate that you have taken the time to describe your experience during your visit to our Sanctuary of the Senses.

Thank you very much for all your nice comments regarding the hotel’s installations and services. It is also great to know that you have taken advantage and gone outdoors and experience all the wonders this paradise has to offer.

I will be honored to welcome you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba,

Reviewed 21 February 2012

We spent three days at the Banyan Tree at Mayakoba. All in all, it was a great experience. We were greeted at the outdoor lobby with a bracelet made of berries and flowers, as well as a drink made from local juice. From there we were taken on a golf cart to our villa (room number 521). The front door of the villa opened into the lawn and pool of the suite. If we turned right, we could access a separate room that had a huge sofa/bed, a small table and chairs, tv and, coffee maker. If we turned left, we reached our room. Once in the room, the bathroom with a walk in closet, huge stand alone double vanity, shower with glass wall to the outside, and private outdoor bathtub, were to the left. To the right was the bedroom with glass on two sides, both sides with direct access to the pool. The "yard" portion of the villa contained a hammock, pool, jacuzzi, lounge chairs and a small table and chairs. The lagoon that connects the three hotels of Mayakoba was behind the villa, although we were told that
the area behind the villas is not used to ensure privacy.

We ate at two of the three restaurants while there, Tamarind and Orient. We ate at Tamarind for one dinner and ended up doing the seven-course tasting menu. It was really, really good, not great, and expensive, but still enjoyable. Orient was great for breakfast, with lots of standard and Mexican choices. On our last night, we ate on the boat (Xchel) and really enjoyed it. To be honest, the food was very average (we chose the Mexican option) but the experience was magnificent. We spent two hours on the candle lit boat as it was driven around in the dark on the lagoon, going by all three hotels and the golf course. It was SO quiet and peaceful. It was unlike anything I have ever done before.

On the middle day of our stay, we had appointments at the spa. We started out together with the "Rainforest Trail." After changing into swimsuits, we met our guide who took us through the many different stations that included a rain walk, three different steam rooms, three
different shower experiences, two different saunas, an ice rub and a pool that had three different massaging water features. Everything is indoors and we spent about five minutes at each station. It took about an hour to go through the whole thing. A couple of the stops
seems either redundant or not as good as they could be (the water features in the pool at the end were so strong it was hard to relax) but it was a very cool experience and I would highly recommend it. Once done with the Rainforest, I went on to a 90-minute Thai massage which was quite possibly the best massage I've ever had. Great pressure, nice variety of techniques and incredibly relaxing.

Like most everything else about our experience, we found the service to be really, really good, but not great. Small details were missing. The staff would sometimes speak loudly when it was inappropriate. We could also hear music and other noise while in our room coming from one of the staff supply areas across the lagoon. There we also more children than we expected, although they only got on our nerves a couple of times. :-)

We have now stayed at both the Rosewood and Banyan Tree hotels at Mayakoba. I think overall the Rosewood is more "us." It was tad more modern and the service and food were great. The two things that we liked better about the Banyan Tree though were the pool in our villa (the Rosewood just has plunge pools - still cool, but a lot smaller), and the boat dinner.

5 Thank 30stravelers
Dear 30stravelers

I want to thank you for staying with us, your detailed description of the food and beverage services is very appreciated.
It is wonderful to read that you had enjoyed the Ixchel dinner and that the Spa Treatment was of you entire satisfaction as well.

Once again, thank you for letting us know that you had a great experience at this Hotel.

Remaining at your entire disposal,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Although we didn't stay at the hotel, we did see a few rooms and dined in the Thai Saffron restaurant which was OUTSTANDING. Best levels of service ever received in Mexico and that's after many many visits! Food as good as the best in Bangkok (also spent a lot of time there) and the setting over the water just beautiful.

The rooms themselves are a work of art. Spacious, inviting, contemporary with some Asian styling that works very well in this part of Mexico. All have such generously sized private plunge pools that put the competition to shame. Next time we hope to stay here and also use their fabulous Spa!

Room Tip: The 'standard' rooms are far from standard.
1 Thank laterallife
Dear laterallife

I appreciate that you took the time to share your kind feedback regarding your dinner at Saffron Restaurant at Banyan Tree Mayakoba.

We are honored to read that an experienced guest has left his valuable feed back.

We well feel very glad to host you at our resort in the near future,

Best wishes,

New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 February 2012

We went on 1/28/12 for 8 days , that was not enough ! From the villa to the staff and of course the food ! Wow I have been all over the world and the cuisine in this resort was amazing , we did in villa BBQ we had Henry ! Hats of to him he prepared an amazing birthday dinner for me and my boyfriend .. It was perfect ! My favorite that I ate everyday for lunch was the soft shell crab tacos wow wow my mouth is watering right now , that was at the pool on the beach ,,, all of the staff was fabulous every need was met and more , my drink was never empty and anything I needed was already there , I give it 7 stars , everyone if you love luxury and service this resort is a must go even for a weekend , they did not leave anything out . I can go on and on like the breakfast wow they had everything whatever your heart desired the breakfast staff was the best funny funny !! We did some excursions Betty was great we booked a great deep sea fishing tour our own boat she did a great job!
We will be returning soon it's our home away from home O and must go to spa to the rainforest walk!!!!!!!!! O and ask for there special drink I had about 25 cups for the 8 days lol!!!!! I hope everyone go and enjoys like we did !!! Thanks banyan tree it was amazing !!!

Room Tip: The courtyard villa is perfect for 2 people , you can't go wrong with 3,600 square feet !
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear rdiamonds12

I thank you very much for taking the time to write about your good experience you had here in our hotel.

We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and wish to thank you very much for your gracious comments regarding the food, the associates and the villas.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba soon for another retreat.

Warm Regards,