New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Banyan Tree Mayakoba
Ranked #3 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
North, South Carolina
“Excellent honeymoon/romantic vacation spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

Stayed in a spa pool villa in early May 2011 for our honeymoon; perfect spot for that kind of thing.

Pros:

-Privacy (high fence around entire suite, private pool, jacuzzi, outdoor bath with tea candle wall, do-no-disturb switch beside the bed that warns staff outside the front door...). One minor warning--you may be visible from the upstairs outdoor shower during the day--use the downstairs indoor or outdoor showers.
-Suite size: yes, you really do get that entire space to yourself. And it's very nice to have the entirely separate sitting area--one person can nap in the bed while the other relaxes in the pavilion.
-Thai restaurant: Fantastic. I wish I remembered the name of the mini-appetizer the chef sent out the first day. One of the best things I've ever eaten. And we ordered the massaman curry two nights in a row--it was that good.
-Massage services: Had a couple's massage with my wife--her first massage. Both masseuses were excellent, both trained in multiple styles. Our massage room was in a stand-alone building on stilts over the water; much nicer than having someone in the next room. (DIdn't use the spa tables on the 2nd floor of our suite--really too hot in May for that, and I found the massage rooms much more comfortable anyway).
-Room & resort appearance/style: Asian simplicity with hints of Mexican flair. Comfortable beds, choice of pillow types, etc.
-Rain shower/steam shower: nice combo in your room.
-Wifi: worked well in the rooms. Nice when you're taking a break from the sun or looking at excursions. Don't count on Netflix or the like working--those are blocked off in this part of the world by those services.
-Service, cleanliness: both excellent.

Cons (or potential drawbacks depending on your tastes):

-Quiet resort: This isn't the place to party, although the bartenders at the beach/pool bars make great beach drinks. If you don't venture out to the ruins/towns, I'd keep the stay five nights or less. They'll be wonderful, relaxing days and nights...but that's about all the relaxation I can handle. No on-site night life, although you can go to the main complex and have a drink in the open-air bar up top.
-Not on the beach: The beach is nearby--you could walk (long walk), take a bike, take the boat from the lobby, or call a golf cart to take you. Didn't bother us a bit--we took the boat the first day and mostly called a cart for the rest of our stay.
-Limited number of restaurants: we loved the Thai restaurant and the breakfast buffet, thought the poolside restaurant was fine. Room service has a limited menu; tastes fine, but I prefer the restaurants. You can go eat in town or at one of the other resorts in the Mayakoba complex. To me, this is more of a "duration of stay" item.
-Wouldn't take kids: this just isn't the place for them--and by "kids" I mean anything from infants through early teens. I think they might have some kid-related programs during the high season, but given the resort setup and eating choices, I just wouldn't recommend it.
-Cleaning time: ok, this is nitpicking, and some people will love it. The suite is big, and you have your own pool, and they keep both very clean (and put away your shoes, etc.)...which takes a while (even though they send in a couple of people at a time for the room and another for the pool and grounds). And then when they come in for the turndown, I swear they do a quick second clean/straighten. Just be prepared to switch between the pavilion and the bedroom if you happen to be in the suite when they come (i'm sure you could get them to come back, but there's really no need--huge couch/day bed in the pavilion, plus table and chairs. You'll need breaks from the sun).

Final word--we loved the place from the moment we arrived. Really, couldn't pick a better quiet honeymoon spot.

Room Tip: Spa pool villa is excellent choice even if you don't plan to use the upstairs for a massage.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank M2NC
BTMayakoba, Director General at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
Dear M2NC

Thank you very much for choosing our hotel for your honeymoon stay. It was with a great pleasure to read your review and complimentary comments. I am sure that your suggestions and observations are also valuable for other readers.

We look forward to your return to Banyan tree Mayakoba and I wish you all the best.

Wishing you a lovely day,

Remaining at your disposal,

Area General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights At the beginning of our honeymoon and although the place is amazing and I really really want to give this place an excellent review there is something just holding me back.

I'll start with the good.

The room we stayed in was a courtyard room and it was more than ideal. A huge room with everything you can ask for. An amazing comfortable bed, great aircon, peaceful and an great nights sleep. More than enough room for 2 and I can't really see the point of going for a better room ( except for the hot tub).

The resort was clean and perfect but you could have been anywhere really. Although its so nice that you don't really want to leave (well not to go to playa del carmen anyway).

The service was great at all times if a little bit formal and scripted but I suppose that's what is expected at this sort of place.

And the breakfast buffet was amazing. By far the best I have ever had.

But I felt that the overall value was pretty average especially on food and drink. The food options were quite limited and the quality was not as good as expected. Especially the Thai food which, being a Thai brand, I was expecting to be much better. I know that it was never going to be cheap but there is a difference in paying for an amazing room and just being ripped off on little things such as the price of water (up to $10 a bottle).

One other tip is that the private pool was freezing and unusable because of the time of year and it wasn't heated so consider this if you're going in winter.

I would stay here again without a doubt but maybe for a shorter period so the food doesn't get boring.

Oh and there are some mean mosquitoes around the mangroves but no problems in the villa.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank skill123
Dear skill123

Thank you for choosing our resort, the Banyan Tree Mayakoba for a part of your honeymoon and that you liked your stay so much that you did not want to leave us.

Thank you for writing your valuable impressions on the food and drink prices which have been considered by our Food and Beverage Managers.

Do not hesitate in contacting us if you are planning to come again to this Sanctuary of the Senses.

With best wishes,

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

Stayed at Banyan Tree Mayakoba for four nights during a mini-honeymoon after my wedding in June 2011. It is by far the best resort that I have ever visited. The service at Banyan Tree was amazing. From the green juice they serve when you arrive at the resort, the turn-down service every evening, the keepsakes they leave in your room every night, the amazing beach service and the out-of-this world breaskfast buffet, everything about the hotel was amazing. Pure relaxation at its fine. We initially had plans to visit Cozumel and Playa del Carmen town during our stay but we didn't even bother stepping outside the resort after we got there.
I will love to visit Banyan Tree Mayakoba again in the future.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 406. Great room location because of its proximity to the hotel lobby and spa.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tman23
BTMayakoba, Director General at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Dear Tman23

On behalf of the Banyan Tree Mayakoba family, I would like to thank you for choosing this hotel to celebrate you honeymoon and moreover for taking the time to display your notes about your stay with us.

I was very happy to read that the service provided by the employees has gone beyond your expectations

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to our resort and make your stay nothing but a amazing experience again.

Best Regards,

Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

This is my fourth review of hotels on the Mayan Riviera offering breakfast to non-staying guests. See previous submissions on Esencia, Maroma Orient Express and Rosewood Mayakoba.

I am going to repeat information about Mayakoba that I have written about in my review of the Rosewood, but this will save you from going back and forth between the two reviews.

The Mayakoba development is situated about 10 km north of Playa del Carmen. It is a large resort property built among mangroves, forest, luxury golf courses and a beautiful beach that seems to never end. The large Mayakoba entrance is well marked and you will recognize it by the wide white wall structure housing a security booth and a guard screening entries into the property.

Mayakoba is home to two of the most beautiful hotels on the Mayan Riviera: the Rosewood and the Banyan Tree. The Mayakoba beach, stretched in front of a few resorts, is a wonderful long beach with pure white sand and great surf. Beach walking, shell hunting (find them but leave them on the beach) or a swim (if it's calm) are fun to do after breakfast at one of these lovely luxury hotels.

Once through the Mayakoba gate turn right and follow a very long lane winding through the dense but manicured forest ending at the reception. Here, as at the Rosewood, you leave your car with the valet and let them know you have come for breakfast. There is no charge for parking but leave gratuities when they bring back your vehicle upon departure.

Banyan tree Mayakoba

Architecturally stunning, this new hotel is a welcome addition to the line of few true luxury resorts on the Riviera Maya. The Banyan Tree is situated south of the Rosewood (with the Fairmont in between) at the end of a long, winding driveway through the "tamed" and cleared jungle. The hotel lobby rises past a pool of water afloat with water lilies, water fountain and two stone walls that frame the view and lead your gaze through the stunning lobby and beyond. The Asian overtones in the architecture and furnishing is mixed with indigenous stone and landscaping and simply takes your breath away. As in the Rosewood, there is no main structure housing the guests. Rather, villas are dispersed throughout the property, built around the lagoons and mangroves and visible only when driving along the path connecting the various parts of the hotel, yet hidden behind the landscape. To get a sense of the scale of this resort (about 130 rooms), go to the rooftop patio in front of the reception. You will see the tops of the villas around and see the scale of the development.

We are here for breakfast and breakfast is served at Oriente, located in the front main building on the ground floor, beside the pool and lobby canal. It's a fairly large restaurant, offering both indoor and open air dining at beautifully appointed well-spaced tables. The breakfast is served buffet style and is quite special. Eggs can be prepared to you liking or pick the offerings from the hot buffet, from scrambled eggs or poached eggs to various meats, sausages, pancakes and waffles. Freshly made breads and pastries are tempting in the centre section and fruits, cereals, smoked fish and a good selection of cheeses is offered on the left side of he buffet. An interesting item that I haven't seen elsewhere is served on the centre section near the cereals. These are candied vegetables, like sweet potatoes and other roots. They seem to be offered more as a condiment along some jams and stewed fruits. They are sweet and tangy, chewy bits, quite delicious alongside other breakfast items. Another special feature is the Mayan hot chocolate, prepared and served in large hot chocolate pots that line one area. The chocolate is thick, authentic, not too sweet and quite delicious. It's a nice salute to local tradition and cuisine.

After breakfast we catch a ride on the electric boat to the beach (the boat departs every 30 minutes) for our customary walk on the Mayakoba beach. It's an opportunity for beach photography as well as discovering new hotels that are being built along the beach. Back after a few hours to the Sands restaurant by the pool for a lunch experience that may include their fabulous roasted baby vegetables salad and catch of the day, followed by the chilled fruit "soup" for dessert. The Banyan Tree is a feast, for the eyes and the palate.

If you are spa connoisseur you do not want to miss the spa experience at the Banyan Tree. More on that later.

Enjoy your Banyan tree Mayakoba experience.

Dina Honké

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank OliveOilandLemons
Dear Ms. Honké

It is really nice to read the detailed feedback you had placed at this Webpage. We do appreciate the time you had taken to share your valuable impressions to other users.

We are also more than glad to know that you had a pleasurable time at our outlets, and that you found our food we offer wonderful,

Once again I do thank you for sharing with us your kind notes.

Looking forward to host you in the near future,

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

My fiancé and I just returned from vacationing at the Banyan Tree Mayakoba. We are frequent Cabo visitors (Las Ventanas and Capella) and met a couple while in Cabo that raved about this place. This place is nice....but we felt a little let down.

Pros for us: Food is pretty good! We loved biking everywhere!! We stayed in a 3 bedroom townhouse (we got an awesome deal off jet setter) - while there was only 2 of us it was still nice to have such a spacious place to stay. Great Spa! We loved the breakfast buffet!

Cons: No full length mirror - I know some people could care less about that but I could not get over the fact that there was no full length mirror anywhere in the 3 bedroom townhouse! Water leaks out of the shower into the bathroom, master toilet does not have a door, there is a his and hers sink...but they are right next to each other, rooms were a little outdated, no mater how cool we set the ac it could never get cold enough - we are from texas and are used the heat and humidity - but it was still tough coming in after a long day on the beach to a not so cool room. This brings up another point - the beach...the hotel is RIGHT on the beach which we found a little strange, and the lack of pools/pool space, we loved the main pool but there were very few places to lay out there - the pool down by the beach was the puniest pool we have ever seen - thus we stayed on the beach despite the strong winds! The service at the beach was lacking - I think they only came around twice the entire day, The gym is also the smallest thing ever - 2 treadmills, 2 ellipticals - I know the majority of people probably dont work out on vacation but every time we did the treadmills and ellipticals were consistently being occupied! The service was okay...the place seemed to be pretty empty but it still took quite some time to get a buggy, also service at the lounge area was severely lacking. Don't get me wrong - service was good - but visit Capella or Las Ventanas in Cabo to experience truly amazing customer service.

All in all this place is nice...but I feel there are much better places in Mexico that are just as expensive but nicer!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank toomanypairs
Dear toomanypairs

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your personal impressions about your experience with us. We really appreciate that you have described the hiccups you found during your stay; all of them have been noted and shared with the personnel involved to review the standards.

We do look forward to welcome you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

Overall Banyan Tree Mayakoba can't be beat and it's just what you're looking for in the middle of winter! from the moment you are greeted, you know your expectations will be surpassed and service excellence is their commitment. We held our wedding there with 40+ people and they surpassed all expectations. Katherine Heisinger, our Romance Coordinator was the best! Highly recommend her! Am putting a more thorough review on bestdestinationwedding if you want more details!

Villas: We stayed in two different kinds of villas and had the opportunity to visit 3 different types of villas. Every villa is super clean and the turndown service is great. The beds and pillows are very comfy and they have extra amenities in case you forget them.

The best for a couple is the courtyard villa with heated pool and jacuzzi. The environment is intimate and the heated pool in February when it can get a little chilly is perfect to stay a few more hours in the water. The shower is beautiful and the outdoor bath is also great. The three bedroom townhouse is quite spacious and is perfect if you have kids. The only drawback is the unheated pool on the roof. Maybe in the summer it would be fine but in February for me it was too cold. The other one we saw was a one bedroom villa which was also perfect for a couple. Not sure if the pool is heated but the layout is nice.

Bellboys/Service at Banyan Tree Mayakoba: We can't say enough about our bellboys and the coordination of all of our transports to/from villa/beach/restaurants/luggage, etc. Beginning from Alberto who always answered our calls so pleasantly, Ernesto who I think orchestrated many details, and then we have the bellboys who during every single moment always had a great demeneaor, were extremely helpful with any request, and were always a nice familiar face. I have to name a few of the one that stood out for us: Erik, Armando, Gui, Jose, Jose Manuel, Gilberto, Adrian (very knowledgeable about the wildlife).

Spa: I also had great service at the Spa with Poi and Ami. Very relaxing environment and perfectly tailored to whatever you may need.

Food: Breakfasts are perfect! They include a wide selection of fruits, natural fruit juices, fresh breads, eggs any way you want them and delicious creations every day! We ate at the acclaimed thai restaurant, Saffron, one night. Beautiful cozy terrace/restaurant on stilts over the mangrove under the moonlight. We didn't experience any bugs but got to see plenty on huge fish in the water. The service all around is excellent, particularly Benedicto and his buddy. The food was a good thai restaurant (we expected a little more authentic) but the only thing that blew our minds was the sauce that accompanied the bread for the table.
We also had food at the Sands beach club. The linguini with clams, left a lot to wish for, however, I had a bruschetta with portobello mushrooms and that was wonderful!

Beach Club: The staff at the beach club are amazing: Eduardo (head of recreationn), Cristiano and Guadalupe who were always so attentive and ready to set up our beach beds/umbrella. Manuel with our food and beverage service. I know there were at least another 3-4 people here who went above and beyond and my memory fails me, but suffice it to say, the staff is excellent and as nice as can be. The heated pool was perfect. The beach is very nice, although right in front of the hotel you have rocks, not too many, but enough. I suggest walking towards the fairmont beach or to the right to find a less challening entrance. The other thing to note is Mexico does little to regulate where jet skis go so when you are swimming be careful for newbies on jet skis coming close to shore, particularly if you want to snorkel. Having said that, the Banyan tree staff are equipped with everything you need to snorkel and stay safe (bouy to tie to your lifevest) which I know other resorts are not ready to do. The quality of the snorkel equipment is top notch... so much so we're going to go buy it since we scuba dive and they fit perfectly.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Bola2218
BTMayakoba, Director General at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
Bola2218

Fist of all I want to congratulate you for your recent wedding and to thank you for celebrating the one of the most important events with us. I am also very grateful you have taken the time to describe your experience during your stay our Sanctuary of the Senses.

Thank you very much for all your wonderful comments regarding the hotel’s installations and services and also for highlighting all those persons that impressed you. This feedback has been forwarded to all the staff.

I will be honored to welcome you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba,

Warm regards,

Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

My husband and I traveled to the Banyan Tree in November for a romantic getaway. We stayed 5 nights and had an amazing time. Our Garden Pool villa was wonderful, very spacious and clean. The nightly turndown service and housekeeping were fantastic providing lots of bottled water, fruit, towels and a little gift each evening. The villa's pool was a nice size, bigger than your average plunge pool. There was also nice outdoor space surrounding the villa with a 2-person hammock, lounge chairs and eating area.

We tried all of the restaurants at the resort. The Oriente breakfast buffet was definitely the standout. There was an amazing selection of fresh fruit and juices along with a variety of hot dishes and pastries. We lingered over breakfast for so long that we often didn't need lunch! Our favorite lunch and dinner option was Sands, the beachside restaurant. The service was great as were the salads and ceviche. Saffron was good, fairly standard Thai fare with interesting rice options. Tamarind was disappointing; food was overpriced and average at best.

The grounds of this resort are stunning, and golf carts are readily available to transport you from the main resort down to the beach. There is also a boat that takes you through the Mayakoba, and the guide provides information on the wildlife. You can also rent bikes and explore the Mayakoba on your own. The main pool, just outside Oriente, is very peaceful, perfect for lounging and reading. The infinity pool at the beach is more lively and offers stunning views of the Caribbean Sea.

The spa is wonderful. I had the traditional Thai massage and have never felt so relaxed!! We also used the gym daily, small but functional. There were 2 treadmills and 2 ellipticals along with limited weight training equipment.

Overall, this is a perfect spot for an escape from reality!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank traveler29556
traveler29556

I thank you for placing your recommendation on the Trip Advisor Website. I am happy to know that our staff and hotel facilities have met your expectations. Regarding the Tamarind restaurant, I appreciate your notes and have discussed that with the Food and Beverage Team.

We will be more than glad to welcome you in the near future back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba hotel.

Warm regards,