“A memorable affair...”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Atlanta, Georgia
“A memorable affair...”
Reviewed 25 May 2012 via mobile

My wife and I are just wrapping up a 3 day visit to this amazing resort. I could not wait to write this so I am typing away on my iPad moments before leaving the resort. This is a spectacular resort on all accounts from service to amenities to location and the natural surroundings. Highly recommend to couples wanting to get away. You cannot go wrong. The Banyan Tree standard lives on having experienced it in Asia and now in this part of the world. A special thanks to Laura from guest services for all of her great service.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank turkishdelight2561
BTMayakoba, Director General at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, 31 May 2012
Dear turkishdelight2561

It is very kind of you to write your warm impressions about our hotel. The kind feedback is self-evident. Allow me to express my appreciation for taking the time to share your thoughts with us, and to recommend Banyan Tree Mayakoba to other guests.

Last, I have noted the comments on Laura’s attention and have passed on the same to Laura.

We are looking forward to welcome you back to our hotel.

Wishing you a nice day,

Area General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Bernardino
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Amazing hotel, wonderful pools, luxury bedroom and a lot of green area all around. only difect really too far from the center of the town. Honestly one of the best resort ever tryed.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Dear JJ Cart1977

It is wonderful to know that our hotel and its installations have been to your satisfaction. It is very kind of you to let us know your compliments.

I wish we will be able to be at your service again soon.

Area general manager
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 20 May 2012

We just returned from 5 nights at Banyan Tree. We had a wonderful time despite daily rain and clouds. The resort is set on a lagoon and the setting is gorgeous and lovely. If you're looking for a beachfront resort with sweeping views of sand and water, this is not the place. But each room comes with a real pool (not a plunge pool) and our courtyard villa had a heated jacuzzi as well, which was very nice on the cloudy days when the beach wasn't the best option. And it was great to soak in the hot tub after returning from dinners.

The staff is so impeccably trained and so professional and courteous that I really don't know what happened to the other reviewers who gave less than favorable reviews. While on the beach one day, I didn't even have to move the 12 inches to pour more Diet Coke into my class. The beach waiter was already one step ahead of me. Maybe when the resort gets very busy the service is not as great? We were told they were at 50% capacity, and we went in mid-May.

Food everywhere was great and we never waited for a thing. By the 3rd morning, the staff knew what my husband and I drank during breakfast and practically had it waiting for us. For off-resort dining suggestions, we ate at Piaf (French) in the Grand Velas resort nearby. Great food and service. And we also ate beachfront at Punta Bonita in the neighboring Rosewood Resort. Also wonderful. And the view is spectacular. I wouldn't bother venturing into Playa del Carmen. It's cheesy and tourist shopping is nothing special. And the shopkeepers harass you to come into their stores.

Everything is very, very clean and the rooms are more than spacious. The only comment is that the lighting in the bathroom is poor. If it's dark outside, and you're trying to put make up on for the evening, make sure someone checks your face before you venture out because you'll likely put too much on since the bathroom is quite dark.

The in-villa bbq is a must-do. Henry did ours for us, and the food was excellent. It was great to spend the evening in our villa eating grilled lobster, shrimp and flank steak! Of course - it rained while he was setting up the grill, but he quickly moved to a sheltered area and reset our table inside our villa. Henry had the right amount of conversation mixed with fading into the background so my husband and I could have a romantic evening.

We also did a private day-trip to Chichen Itza, which was coordinated by the hotel. It was very over-priced at $740 for the two of us. Yes, it's a 3-hour drive each way, but it was great to see the Mayan ruins. However, our tour guide (Rosalia) was not great at all, and her English wasn't as good as it should have been to provide a historic tour (especially for $740!). There was a lot she didn't know and after paying $740, I shouldn't have to return to my room and Google the ruins for more accurate information. Definitely go with another tour company for less money.

Also, as other reviewers have said, this is not a family resort and we only saw maybe 2 or 3 very young children during our stay. Older kids would be bored and there's not much for younger ones to do either. Most guests are couples traveling without children.

If you want a mega resort with beachfront rooms, this isn't it. But if you want to unplug from everything and just relax in luxury and let the impeccable staff wait on you - this is the place.

Room Tip: Choose a room near the main building. We were in 210, which was a 5 minute walk. Those in the 300s a...
2 Thank aao0823
Dear aao0823

Your complimentary feedback is very appreciated by us, and we thank you for writing your review on Trip Advisor and share it with other users. I have made sure that the notes regarding Henry’s attention during the In Villa BBQ was distributed to the staff members.

At the same time it is wonderful to know that your vacation at Banyan Tree Mayakoba was of your satisfaction regardless the weather.

In regards of the tour, I also have forwarded you impression to our third party company that provides the tours for their analysis

We will be more than happy to welcome you back to our sanctuary of the senses.

Wishing you the best,

Area General Manager
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 20 May 2012

We stayed in the garden villa room which was just fine for us. It was a great place to come for our honeymoon. Although the weather really wasn't on our side, the ambience and staff made up for the difference. The architecture is amazing and you do feel like your in Asia and not Mexico. You feel like a celebrity there, they will do anything for you if you just ask them (mostly anything). If you are looking for a lot of action this place is not for you, but if you are looking for peace and quiet and relaxation then this place is for you. You will feel like you are the only one at the resort at some points which at times it was great and other times not. There is not much to do at night at the resort besides dinner. One night they had some live music but hardly anyone was there.

Breakfast at theOriente was very good and the waiters were very helpful.

Like to give a shutout to Adrien who drove our buggy and Eco tour he was very nice, informative, respectful. Christiano at the beach club and reflection pool.

Just a few cons:
Beach: there was a lot of seaweed that I wish the staff would clean up off the shore line. It would make such a difference to the beaches beauty if that was cleaned up. You see how hard they try and keep the rest of their resort clean, I'm not sure why they didn't focus on keeping the beach clean. It can help the hotel stand out even more from the rest.

Villa: there was a lot of ants around the courtyard of your villa by the lounges and pool area. It got annoying to sit down on the lounges because they were crawling everywhere. Also when we wanted to layout in the sun on the lounges while the sun was facing a different direction, it would be impossible to move the lounge chairs facing the sun which was very annoying. At night we wanted to use the outdoors part of our villa but there was not enough lighting, it would be helpful if they increased the outdoor lighting to the villa.

Other than that it was great, we enjoyed it very much and hope to come back soon.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com

2 Thank ikelunious99
Cuernavaca, Mexico
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Last Spring my family and I visited this hotel. I have heard about it, but was delighted to stay here for the first time. The resort is big, with lakes and many trees. There are boats that take you all around the hotel, but we decided to travel around on the bikes the hotel supplied. It was a good 10 min ride to the beach, crossing golf pads and rivers.
The breakfast at the hotel is amazing, there is chinese, mexican and international food.
And the swimming pools were really fun to swim around, the spa is also a treat not to be missed.
The rooms where clean, spacious and very comfortable.
I will be coming back for sure.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank SergioLeon33
Dear SergioLeon33

We do thank you for taking the time to write about your family vacation on Banyan Tree Mayakoba. It is of our great pleasure to know that you had a wonderful time.

Thanks again for coming to our hotel, and we do hope to be able to serve you again.

With best regards,

Area general manager.
BigginsBoy
Reviewed 17 May 2012 via mobile

We stayed in the hotel just as a hurricane was approaching. The staff could not have been more helpful of friendly. Once the storm passed the true beauty of the resort became clear. Its a stunning place. With teenagers riding bikes around the resort was a huge success. I never ate a poor meal. My kids are desperate to return

Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Dear BigginsBoy

Thank you for choosing the Banyan Tree Mayakoba hotel for your family Vacations. I am so glad to read that despite the bad weather that you encountered at the Riviera Maya, you and your children had enjoyed yourselves.

The feedback on the trip advisor page is truly appreciated by me and by all the staff members and we are looking forward to be able to welcome you soon again. Please let me know whenever you are ready to book in order to take care of the reservation details.

All the best for you,

Vice president
Area General Manager.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2012

This was our first visit to Mexico and we were celebrating our anniversary. We booked Banyan Tree Mayakoba because of all the positive reviews we had read on Tripadvisor. We travel extensively and we always use Tripadvisor as the reviews usually very reliable.

In the case of Banyan Tree Mayakoba, we felt that the resort was over-hyped. Although, aesthetically the resort is a good 5 star resort, it is let down by poor service and the lack of attention to detail. For example the resort was informed that we celebrating our anniversary during our stay, none of the staff picked up on this or tried to make our stay anymore special. We have stayed in many similar 5 star resorts in various countries such as Maldives, Mauritius, Thailand, Dubai and Brazil and this place was by far the worst in terms of service. For example, we recently stayed at the Shangri-La's Villingili Resort in the Maldives (Sept 2011) which is a similar class of resort. However, we feel in comparison to the BANYAN TREE MAYAKOBA, the Shangri-La is in a different league altogether as our stay there was flawless and one of the best trips we have ever had.

Banyan Tree Mayakoba Beach club – The beach pool was small and the beach itself was ok but nothing special. Also, the kids club is next to pool at the beach club which means that your time at the pool may get spoilt by all the kids running around. In my view, they should have an adult’s only section at the beach club. Also to mention, the service at the beach club was pretty slow. Often we found that there would be always one staff member running around trying to help guests and 3 or 4 staff members standing around chatting amongst themselves. Also, I was surprised that guests were only offered free water at the beach club. Other similar resorts we have stayed at normally provide fruit sorbets, ice creams, ice lollies and other small snacks throughout the day to keep you refreshed.

Spa - My wife and I both had Spa treatments and we both felt the Spa was great and one of the best resort Spa’s we’ve used.

Breakfast – There was a good choice of food as you would expect from a true 5 star resort. There was lots of fresh bread, fruit, juices, pastries and other great food options. However, I was surprised that there were no baked beans available for breakfast; this is the first resort I’ve stayed in where breakfast did not contain baked beans as an option. Also, on one occasion we thought the fresh Orange juice tasted like it had been watered down, this is not really what you would expect from such an expensive resort. In general, waiter service at breakfast was pleasant but slow.
Bike/Buggy service – The bikes are a great idea but I don’t understand why guests have to hire. At the Shangri-La all guests were given bikes to ride around the resort as part of their villa. With regards to the buggy service, this was generally ok but we didn’t understand why you had to wait for a buggy at the beach club, the resort should use some common sense and have a few buggies waiting – again at the Shangri-La they used some common sense and always had buggies ready near restaurants and the beach.

Boat ride – the boat ride to the beach was very nice and our boat driver Adrian was great.
Mosquito’s – In Mexico we expected that there would some issues with Mosquito’s when we were out and about but we didn’t think there would such an issue at the resort. Again, in other resorts we have stayed in other countries, we found that sprayed the whole resort with Mosquito repellent daily to control the amount of Mosquito’s – this helps a lot. At the BANYAN TREE MAYAKOBA, we found ourselves wanting to stay indoors at night because there too many Mosquitos’s around the resort. The only thing the resort offers to combat this is free mosquitoes repellent but this was not adequate for the amount mosquito’s there are at night. This also meant that it wasn’t possible to use the beautiful outdoor bathtub night, which was a shame.

Rooms - we stayed in our Garden Villa. The Villa was nice and a good size. However, we didn’t understand why the resort offers in villa dining option when there is no where to eat properly in the room. For example, there is a work desk in the room with one chair. This is not ideal for two people to enjoy a meal in their room so the only option is sit and eat on the bed.

Food/Restaurants. Only 2 of the 3 restaurants were open for dinner. We tried both and we thought the food was average at best. The Thai food at Saffron was not that great; the setting was nice if you didn’t mind being eaten by mosquito’s while you tried to enjoy your food. Food at the Tamrind was a bit pretentious and over-thought. Service in the restaurants was pretty slow and times shambolic even though they were more overly busy. On our last night we ate at Tamrind, at one point there were 8 guests in the whole restaurant and 6 waiters but still the service was slow. The in villa dining option was pretty good.

Tours/Transport – The hotel offers tours and private transportation. However, we found that like for like tours were as much 5 times more expensive through the resort. The private pick-up and drop off from the airport was twice as expensive. We don’t know how the resort can justify such high prices for tours and transportation. So we used USA transfers/Entertainment Plus for our tour to Chichen Itza and our private transfers to and from the airport. They provided an excellent and very professional service with no flaws. One thing that really annoyed us is that we got the distinct impression from the some of the resort staff that they did not like us using an external agency for our tour and transportation.

Overall, a great looking resort but not one that we will visit again. In fairness, we felt that all of the resort staff were pleasant and courteous but we felt at times some of them were very slow and at times lacked initiative and service skills that you normally would find in a resort of this class. Hence, we have had much better experiences in staying in resorts in the Far East and the Indian ocean and if we were to do another luxury beach holiday then I would not return to Mexico if this the best there is on offer. Thus, the highlight of our trip was not our resort but our visit to Chechen Itza which was amazing and made our trip to Mexico worthwhile.

7 Thank Kulj R