“Home from home but still on holiday.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Colorado

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Hotel Colorado
“Home from home but still on holiday.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2011

We have been coming to Playa and staying at the Colorado for May and June for many years and have known the present owners since they took over in 2005. The rooms are clean and tidy and a bargain at 350 pesos. We have a break half way in our stay and move to Mahahual so we were amazed to read the disparaging remarks by one reviewer as we ALWAYS leave our bags and valuables with the owners and so do many other guests. We would not hesitate to recommend this lovely hotel and its owners to anyone who would like a friendly,well run and bargain stay.

• Stayed June 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2011

The place is well located and that's why I had choose it in the first place. The room are decent and clean. The security is simply not there. I asked reception to check my luggage on my departure date as they couldn't give me a late check out even if it was low season. I thought my things would be safe but upon my return I notice that my computer and my camera were missing and the couple managing the reception on that day told me that it probably wasn't in the bag when I left it and they also mention that it was my fault since I left my things under their care. I won't stay there anymore.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank hombre123456
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2011

We stayed at Hotel Colorado for 1 night last week. Not being a major fan of the constant craze on Quinta Ave. I loved how this place was set 3 blocks back (Calle 4 N & 20 Ave), but still so accessible to everything you need. Very quiet as well. Also, for people on a budget, like us, there are so many great food options that are so close and so cheap. For example, we found a taco/ empanada place, for $6 MEX each.... amazing price and quality.. Great compared to 3 tacos for $100 MEX on Quinta.... haha..
The room (#3) was small, but clean and had a t.v. a/c was an option for $50 / MEX a day extra.... but I felt that the fan was all we needed...
The staff seemed friendly and attentive...
The only things that seemed lacking.. were the bed frame seemed super squeeky. and the shower seemed like it needed a serious reno...
however, great value for the price ($350 MEX).
Would return without question...

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2011

very nice hotel to stay, value for money and not far from the beach. very nice owners friendly and welcoming. we surely recommend it. nice and cheap restaurants very close to the hotel. the Wallmart is just 5 minutes walk from the hotel. EXCELLENT :)

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2011

My husband and I chose this hotel based on the reviews on this site. We made reservations. When we arrived a few hours late (flight delays) the owner said he thought we weren't coming and was about to charge us as a no-show. This was maybe the only "negative" experience we had the whole time! We were upgraded to a better room due to the hotel's misunderstanding with another reservation, and it was great. The A/C was amazingly powerful, the room had a ceiling fan and a 2-burner hob as well as a little fridge, an ensuite bathroom, and a TV.. We stayed for a few nights and then left the Yucatan for Merida.
(The hostel we stayed at in Merida is reviewed under the appropriate section)
After seeing Merica, It turned out we liked the hotel and Playa Del Carmen so much that we decided to scrap our plans to go all the way down to San Cristobal de las Casas and came back to PdC. We stayed in a smaller room the 2nd time around, but then because we informed them we wanted to stay a few extra nights, we got moved into an even nicer room than the first time around, and it was wonderful.

Pros: everyone is very helpful and relaxed, the rooms are thoroughly cleaned daily. Location is great - main street is a short walk away, but you're far away enough to not be near the noise and crowds.

Cons: There isn't a great common area. There are 2 nice little sections outside, but not really a social atmosphere, and no couches.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2011

My daughter and I stayed here for 3 nights and experienced wonderful hospitality and friendliness from the staff. Nothing was a problem and in fact the staff went the extra mile to help us with all our queries. The room was large with a very spacious, comfortable bed. There was also a kitchentte with a very welcome fridge. The room was clean upon arrival with fresh towels and it was cleaned every day.

It is ideally located as you experience the real Mexico, which is a contrast to the life on 5th Ave and it is not too far from the beach and the main restaurants.

I would definitely stay here again and would strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2011
Asuncion, Paraguay
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2011

“Located 4 blocks from the beach and 3 from 5th Avenue. Close to ADO bus station. Basic rooms but with all you need for a comfortable stay, very clean, staff helpfull with advice and ready to help you. The tour that I took with them to Tulum, Coba and Playa Paraiso was very good. TV, refrigerator, and basic facilities to cook if you want. Laundromat 1 block from there and a good and cheap Mexican place for tacos and tortas to eat in the corner of calle 4 and 15th avenue if you want to avoid the funcy and pricier places,minimarket in calle 4 & 30av.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo