New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Club Yebo
Canada
“Club Yebo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

Club Yebo is a hidden gem in Playa del Carmen. The location is great. A two minute walk to the beach, 5 minutes to 5th avenue, easy walking distanace to Walmart, Mega and everything else. We had a studio on the second floor and it was great. The staff is very good and the rooms are spotless. I would highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for location, friendly, and not a mega resort.

Room Tip: There is pool with rooms around it on the other side. If this is important to you I would look into...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Wengod

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

A very nice small, affordable place, just one block from the beach. I loved the nice soft bed with the crispy white cotton sheets. The staff is superfriendly. There are several possibilities to sit outside by the swimmingpool, or on the roofside palapa. I liked it a lot :))))

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Hannie v
London, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

We stayed at Club Yebo for 22 nights in February, 2012. We had a room for 3 nights and a studio for the other 19 nights. There were times during our stay when I wondered why everyone wrote such great reviews.

Club Yebo does indeed have some lovely attributes. The hotel is well situated just below Fifth Avenue. The atmosphere around the pool and the shared balconies or patios are nice and allow you to meet people in the same manner that one would in a large resort. The roof top is huge and delightful. The staff are always polite, willing and helpful. The breakfast and lunches that may be purchased on the property are economical and good. The rooms were kept clean and linens replaced regularly. The rooms were well soundproofed from each other.

Club Yebo has two distinct physical sides to it. The one side is the concrete side that you see in the pictures. From what I understand, this is the original Club Yebo and consists of 5 rooms. The other side is the courtyard with a lot of greenery and contains the other 6 rooms.. We were on the courtyard side. I never completely understood this side. People seemed to be in other rooms that were not part of Club Yebo.

Our side of the hotel was lovely to look at. At times it was serene. However at other times, it was anything but serene. Our studio apartment had no table or chairs inside. The only chairs and table were on the balcony. Loud clanking noises came from the dive shop below our apartment. Gas odours sometimes came from the dive shop. A restaurant across from our room also disrupted peace. A massage therapist who could be heard from our balcony was often in view as he did his work.

Within the apartment, we had no water twice for several hours each time. On two other occasions we had no hot water.

Trucks from the dive shop often blocked the entrance to Club Yebo.

While the beach is only a block away, that part of the beach is not used for swimming very much as there are many boats parked at that spot. We walked a lot further than a block to swim.

Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank travelling-fun77
Astoria, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

I stayed at Club Yebo from 2/21/12-2/26-12. My experience was terrible. The first two nights I didn't have hot water. It was luke warm to cool. On the second day I explained this to the manager and it wasn't properly fixed. I complained again on the third day and it was finally fixed. By the fourth day the water was too hot. Cold water was not coming out to balance the temperature. It was so hot that you couldn't stand in the water without getting burned. I had to stand back and splash the water over my body. There were flies in the shower. When I turned on the water they would fly away. This was a daily occurance. I saw two roaches. I'm from NY so I've seen roaches before but in my hotel. Come on?! Seriously?! This indicates a dirty establishment. I ran out of soap and it wasn't replaced by the maid. I asked the manager and she said she would have the maid bring more soap. It was never brought. I was showering with a sliver of soap. No phone in the room. No clock radio. On the last night, the light blew out in the bathroom. I went to the office to let them know but it was closed until Monday. I had to walk to another hotel-Playa Palms, their sister hotel, to get maintenance to come and change the lightbulb and bring me more soap. What a joke! To top it off, I had to walk to Playa Palms to check out in the morning. Another inconvience when you have your bags. The Playa Palms hotel was one block away but still a major inconvienence.

The positives: Price, location and free wifi.

I felt I should have been comped a night or two for my inconveniences but it was never offered. Mexico usually has customer service down to a tee. Not this time.

As a guest in a hotel, you should never have to worry about the basics: hot water, soap, a clean room, assistance, etc.. It was a learning lesson. You get what you pay for. I will never stay at this hotel/apt again. I would not recommend this hotel/apt to anyone.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank LITRAVELER2
sask
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

we stayed at club yebo during xmas, had the one bedroom apartment with kitchen on the second floor overlooking the pool. Pool was small but good place to cool off. Having the kitchen was a nice feature. The shower was good and the beds were typical mexican , hard, lol. There was a water cooler in the room for drinking water, and a good sized fridge. Location off of fifth ave cant be beat, One block from fifth and one block from the ocean. The staff was very nice and rooms were cleaned every day. Safe was included, the only drawback was they only provided one key for the room for a family of four which we worked around. They were doing work to this hotel to spurce it up and the veranda on the roof was relaxing. I would not hesitate to stay here again in the one bedroom apartment ,, i did look at the suites but they seemed a little on the small side to me. All in All great location and great price , thankyou club yebo.

Room Tip: Get the apartment if you can.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank krazzySask
Bruges, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

We were guests over there around X-mass. This is a cosy and nice spot. Although right in the centre and 100 m from the Caribbean ocean it's quiet and laid back. Rooms are super clean, likewise the pool (not crowded). Staff is friendly and helpful. If you are a diver; next-door is a dive centre. Conclusion: you get a great holiday for a small price, totally recommendable !!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank vilbrequen
Sister Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

My husband and I stayed at Club Yebo in early December, 2011. We were supposed to go to Cancun in November but had to change our plans because of the possibily of a hurricane at that time. The airline changed our tickets but we weren't sure where we would stay. We prefer Playa Del Carmen so I started looking for a place to stay there.

I found Club Yebo through Trip Advisor and thought it seemed perfect for us. We stayed in Passion. It has a full kitchen and a great little balcony.

When we first saw the apartment we were pretty disappointed. It didn't seem at all like some of the pictures that we had looked at. I have to admit that we were tired from traveling. (It takes us about 14 hours to get there from our home.) After we checked in we went and asked if we could see the other apartment and they graciously showed it to us and told us they would try to arrange to change apartments for us. After spending the night in Passion, we decided that we had been impatient and tired and unreasonable. We told them we apprediated all of their efforts to make us happy and we decided to stay where we were.

Everything was perfect for us. We go to Playa del Carmen to sit on the beach all day. At night we usually eat in which is why the full kitchen is so great. We didn't get to know the staff very much because we were always out during the day. When we went home at sundown our apartment was always spotless and restocked.

I can't say enough nice things about Club Yebo. It's probably not for everyone, but it's definately for people who live simply and appreciate a homey and relaxed place. The staff went out of their way for us and we appreciate that they care so much. We wish our stay had been longer. We're already looking for a spring getaway.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple