“LOVE THIS PLACE!! ESPECIALLY WATER AEROBICS!!”

Royal Hideaway Playacar
Ranked #33 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Tarrytown, New York, United States
“LOVE THIS PLACE!! ESPECIALLY WATER AEROBICS!!”
Reviewed 3 April 2012

MUST VISIT THIS PLACE!!! AMAZING!!! BEAUTIFUL!! BIG BEACH!! GREAT STAFF!! GREAT FOOD!! GREAT SERVICE!! BEAUTIFUL ROOMS!! SO MUCH TO DO!!

My family and I just got back from spending the most relaxing and exciting week of our lives here at the Royal Hideaway resort. Words cannot even describe how amazing the services here are. ALL of the staff/workers are absolutely wonderful and will always be there for your every need. They are so wonderful and greatful and they all seem to love their jobs so that made our trip so excellent. Everyday we are greeted by our last name Mrs and Mr. Salamone and the staff is always smiling, curtious, helpful, caring, and deffinitly on top of their game. I was never unsatified at any of the restaurants, i loved them all, especially the Italian restaurant!!
The beach is femominal!! So gorgeous, not crowded, relaxing, full time service to get you your chairs, towels, drinks, canopeys, etc. Crystal blue/green water a few steps away from the bar/pool/restaurant/bathrooms. Everything is so convenient and lovely. We made friends with all of the staff: Hiiiii LAURA, CHRIS, CARLOS, guy from the bronx (very awesome dude!), JOSE, JESUS, REYEZ, and the rest of the crew, all of you were so wonderful!!! Thank you for a great memorable vacation!! Hope to come back soon!!

WATER AEROBICS!!
A special shout out to the water aerobics coaches I went to: Chris and Carlos!! what a great workout!!! Happy and upbeat professionals!! FUN FUN FUNN!!! Its a must do when you are here!! The water aerobics is everyday at 12 noon for a half hour. It is so refreshing and the instructors make it sooo much fun!!

Room Tip: the villas are very nice! a beautiful room with a king size bed and a HUGE bathroom and walk in clos...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Hair08
RoyalHideaway1, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear Hair08,

Thank you so very much for your comments. It is encouraging for us to receive such wonderful feedback. Also, we are so glad that our attentive staff gave you the service that you deserved.
I will definitely share your comments with Laura, Chris, Carlos, Jose, Jesus and Reyes. Thank you for recognizing them.

You are right, water gymnastics is definitely one of many highlights here at the Royal Hideaway Playacar!

We are looking forward to having you back very soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (919)
  • Polish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 29 March 2012

My husband and I went to the Royal Hideaway the week before Christmas for 5 nights. This was by far one of the most relaxing vacations I have ever been on. I was very leery of the all inclusive food, but they have wonderful restaurants instead of a large buffet and the food was really good. The staff was probably the best part, we felt very taken care of with the personal attention by Laura and Christian at the poolside restaurant. They were really helpful providing recommendations on side trips and how to get around town. I was able to find an out of the way authentic pottery place and found some lovely pieces to take home that could not be found in the touristy shopping spots. The beach was clean and peaceful and for us it was really nice that there weren't small children, it was very romantic. We are looking forward to our next visit and highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Mia P
Dear MiaP,

Greetings from the Royal Hideaway!

We are overwhelmed by your nice comments! It is great that you had a relaxing vacation with us and enjoyed e everything the resort has to offer. Laura and Christian are glad that you mentioned them, and we are lucky to have them on our staff to take care of our dear guests.

Thank you so much for recommending us!
Chicago
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I just returned from a 7 night stay at RH and we had a wonderful trip! The beautiful beach and pool area were what really sold this resort for me. This area was immaculate and it seemed as though people were always working, literally from sunrise to sunset people were raking the beach, setting up lounge, chairs etc. The employees were constantly working behind the scenes. Our room was nice, but some things could use a bit of sprucing up (ex. wallpaper in the bathroom looked aged). Because of the set up of the buildings, rooms are all off of little courtyards, noise definitely carried. If you are a light sleeper I recommend earplugs. The food and drinks were really good for an all-inclusive. All of the seafood was delicious and cooked perfectly. For dinner we really enjoyed The Grill, Palazzo and Las Ventannas. Our least favorite restaurant was Azia. Portions were small at the restaurants but that did not matter as you could order as much as you wanted. The only thing I would have liked was the ability to order dinner at one of the bars, someplace that you did not need a reservation. Though room service was always an option. The service at the resort was truly top-notch. Our concierge, Carolina, took great care of us. She helped us with dinner reservations, answered all of our questions, etc. Poolside, Carlos and Christopher were excellent. So friendly and always smiling, they truly seemed happy to be there. Our poolside server, Javier, was amazing! He was such a hard worker and he took great care of us the whole time! We had a wonderful time and I would definitely recommend the Royal Hideaway!

Room Tip: The middle buildings, we were in 27 which was great, are the quieter ones as they are farther away f...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank jsr19
Dear jsr19,

Thank you for sharing your comments with other travelers. We are especially happy to hear that you enjoyed the beautiful beach, attentive service and food. Our staff works hard to create the best experience for our guests. Regarding the rooms, you will be happy to hear that we are constantly maintaining and updating our rooms e.g. Flat Screen TVs and IPod Docking Stations. We will keep in mind the wallpaper in the bathrooms. Also, we are sorry to hear that you were bothered by noise outside of the room. Thank you also for the suggestion to order of offering dinner at the bars in our restaurants. I will share this suggestion with our management team. Our 24-hour Room Service is another option if you want to play it by ear.

I will give your regards to Carolina, Javier, Chris and Christopher. They will be happy to hear that you mentioned them in your review.

Thank you for recommending us!
Fontana, Wisconsin
Reviewed 29 March 2012

My husband and I just celebrated our 30 year anniversary here for 7 days and found the resort to be just outstanding. The grounds and beach are gorgeous, the staff is over the top in ensuring you have everything you need. The proximity to Playa del Carmen is a real plus in my opinion. We have travelled to this area of Riviera Maya many times and this resort really delivered an upscale experience. The food is excellent with lots of choices. The only negative would be the restaurants get over booked during high season..so they probably need to work on that aspect. But, we talked to the front desk and they accomodated our requests. We were especially impressed with Carlos, Jessie and Chris from the activities team and Margot who was the hostess at Spices - great job! The entire staff is very hard-working and friendly.
Overall, we had an excellent time and will definetly return.

Room Tip: Choose an interior villas vs exterior to avoid any noise from neigboring hotels.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank wantssun
Dear wantssun,

Congratulations again on your 30th anniversary! We are happy to hear that you had a great celebration and wonderful stay with us.

Next time, you can contact us prior to arrival at services@mx.occidentalhotels.com to make advance reservations at our á la carte restaurants. Thank you for mentioning Carlos, Jessie, Chris and Margot for their great service. I can’t wait to share this great review with them!

We are looking forward to having you with us again soon!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 March 2012

You can't beat the staff and service at the Royal Hideaway! We love this resort, and have just stayed there for our third time. There are many lovely resorts in the area, but the staff and service is what sets this one apart. They make you feel like friends, greet you by your name with a smile, and go out of their way to make your stay fabulous. The resort isn't too big, so it is a great place to relax and unwind. The food is above average for all-inclusives, and they serve top shelf liquor. My only disappointment is the fitness center, which is under construction. By next year's visit it will be renovated, so that won't be an issue at our next stay. I highly recommend the Royal Hideaway.

Room Tip: Rooms on the right side can get some noise from the neighboring resort, which tends to play loud mus...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Mindy K
Dear Mindy K,

Thank you for your comments. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us!

You will be happy to hear that the renovation of the Royal Hideaway Spa and Gym are complete now, and you will be able to experience them during your next visit. The newly renovated spa consists of 7 treatment rooms, (two of which are ample for couples massages) and 2 stations in our beauty salon for manicures/pedicures/hair styling featuring Redken products.

We will see you soon!
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We just got back from a 5 night stay at the royal hideaway playa del Carmen. What an amazing place. It's absolutely gorgeous! If you want a place to just go and relax and be waited on hand and foot, this is it! The staff could not be more attentive. They always greeted you with a smile and most times by name. The food was fabulous (which is not always the case with all-inclusives )and the drinks were amazing(try the golden margaritas). This is the most elegant all-inclusive resort ever! We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed March 2012
4 Thank jandm24
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I just got back from my 4th stay at RH and was very disappointed with the food. During my previous stays I remember the food to be much better. The breakfast buffet at Spices has definitely declined. My wife had 2 omeletts on 2 separate days and the omlette was overcooked and dried out. How do you mess up an omelette? Secondly, we think RH is getting to fancy with the food and trying to make everything overly fancy. There were a few restaurants where I had to force myself to order something even though there was nothing appealing on the menu. Portions are very small and the quality of the food is not good. Sitting by the pool, I was also annoyed. They had the same Sax player everyday playing the same type of music everyday around the same time. Annoying! How about mixing it up with a variety and music that is a little more upbeat? Around the pool, the staff brings fresh fruit and cold towels to the people sitting around the pool. 2 days in a row me, my wife and our friends that traveled with us were skipped by this service, because after the staff runs out of cold towels and fruit they stop. Total BS! Lastly we paid extra for a suite which was absolutely beautiful - 2 Floors. When we arrived in our room, the entire place smelled like fresh paint. Before we arrived, they just got done painting the downstairs portion of the suite. It smelled like paint for 3 days! A little common sense would have been, we have guests checking in the suite this afternoon.....let's paint this another time when it will be vacant for 3 or 4 days! The positives: They keep the grounds in pristine condition and overall the resort is beautiful including the beach and pools. Overall for the price they charge I would not go back. There are plenty of other beautiful places in Mexico and the Caribeann that I want to see and experience. Definitely my last time visiting RH!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank jim_phoenixvillepa
RoyalHideaway1, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Dear jim_phoenixvillapa,

I’m sincerely concerned by your review, as this is obviously not the norm for us. Our top priority is to deliver an exceptional experience to each and every guest, and it appears we fell short of this during your stay.

I’m sad to hear your disappointment with our cuisine, and discussed it with our new Executive Chef Eugenio Villafaña. He truly appreciates all feedback, as it is the best way to improve.

Since your stay, our breakfast menu has increased in variety and quality, with every dish made fresh, including vegetarian and vegan items, homemade danish and breads and more. The egg station is now manned by a new cook with five years of experience. Our Chef is very creative and talented, and is a winner of culinary awards in México.

Chef Villafaña implemented new menus that focus on taste and presentation. Our restaurants use local organic fruits and vegetables, and our fish and seafood is fresh and never frozen. Our salmon is shipped three times a week from Alaska. Our meat ranges from certified Angus Beef to grass fed local beef and Kobe beef. Our Kurobuta pork is the best, and our veal and lamb are from superior quality farms, domestic and imported.

At our Italian restaurant Palazzo, the new menu features authentic bold flavors, celebrating the traditions and food of this country.

The Deck also has a new menu with twice the variety. The portions for the entrées are quite large for an all-inclusive. It has been popular with our guests and received great feedback. The menu includes everything from gourmet indulgences to traditional snacks. It features food for every taste, meat lovers or vegan, low carb or gluten free and more.

Of course, all of our restaurants can modify menu items based on dietary needs to better serve our guests.

I’m concerned that you didn’t receive the personalized service at our pool that you deserve. I’ve shared this, in addition to your feedback about our nightly entertainment, with our management team to address at the next staff meeting.

Regarding your room, I’ve discussed your experience with our rooms division manager to evaluate the process of improving our accommodations so that it doesn’t interfere with the guest experience. If the personal concierge available to you knew about your discomfort, I know they would have done their best to accommodate you and find a solution to the problem.

I will contact you directly via TripAdvisor to discuss this further. I do hope you will give us another opportunity to show you how your comments helped us to improve!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
2.7 km away
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#56 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
9.3 km away
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#60 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
12.0 km away
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#47 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
5.5 km away
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#24 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
35.9 km away
Grand Oasis Tulum
Grand Oasis Tulum
#18 of 23 in Akumal

Been to Royal Hideaway Playacar? Share your experiences!