“okay for the money.”
Review of Allegro Playacar

Allegro Playacar
Ranked #80 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 12 April 2012

We took everyone's advice and did not take the first room they gave us. It's a good thing because we would have had a 10 min. walk to ANY water!! We did end up with a much better room close to the pool, and yes the roof did leak. It really could be a beautiful spot with some badly needed renovations and better hotel management!!! There is no where for adults to sit around and meet new friends except around the pool. They really need a large bar which could have been on the back side of the lobby instead of the 2 huts that took up lots of unnecessary space where they grabbed you first chance they had to get you to book tours with them or what we call Time Share. Get rid of them and put up a nice outdoor bar, that is the perfect spot for it. Without that, when it rained you were stuck in your room with all but 1 spanish channel. Then you had to keep walking down to bring back drinks. We heard so much about the Italian restaurant we booked for 2 nights, however after going the first night and having the worst meal ever, we sure cancelled our other one fast. The first 3 days everything we had was cold!! I think our travel rep. spoke with someone because it at least became warm after that. The resort was beautiful, probably one of the nicest I have been too, it had that real mexican atmosphere, and the staff were incredible, however it was our worst resort ever for food. The best was what they served around the pool during the day. I really don't think I would go back unless I hear they did some improvements, mainly somewhere to go if it rained. GOod luck!!!

Room Tip: Don't take the first one they offer, although you may have to pay more for an up-date! We stayed...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank chico1862

Reviewed 9 April 2012

very nice hotel,great food and great service. i ask for a room on the first floor because i heard about the roof leaking on the second floor if it rain. and i knew that we could ear the other persons in the other room i knew about it so no surprises. it's a 4* hotel with a 5* services.

Room Tip: villa in the middle of the resort are quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank gordon m
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We’ve only been home a week and already want to come back to the Allegro!

Before I get into this review, thought I’d give some background on some of the locations we have visited so you know we are experienced travelers, with our kids and adults only. Our visit to the Allegro was for our family spring break trip (2 kids, age 11 and 9, 4 adults)

2004 – Breezes Varadero Cuba
2006 - El Dorado Seaside Mexico Riviera Maya
2008 – Breezes Runaway Bay Jamaica
2009 – Sandals Ochos Rios Jamaica
2011– Dreams Cancun Mexico
2011 – Presidente Intercontinental Ixtapa Mexico
2012 - Holiday Inn and Suites, Disneyland (Anaheim). CA

We prefer smaller, more intimate and authentic resorts, (aka no concrete jungles or high rises, or ones you have to take shuttles to go from a to b) but ones where you can still have some fun but have quiet time also, one where you feel your family is safe and the people are friendly, where the food is good (and make a good margarita and mojito, ha ha), and a nice beach. The Allegro delivers all that and more! . Anywhere you wanted to be, you were there within a couple of minutes. They have 2 great pools (activity with swim up bar and quiet pool), 2 a la carte restaurants (Italian and Mexican), good buffet (in main lobby building for breakfast and dinner and by the pool at lunch, beach grill (burgers, hot dogs, fries, nachos, chicken, etc), pizzeria (pizza, paninis,), a gourmet coffee station, activities center, kids club, the list goes on. There is something for everyone. Yes the resort has been around longer than some, but that only adds to its charm and it has undergone renovations. It is very very clean, the grounds are immaculate and the beach is simply amazing.

The shining star and the reason we will be returning to this resort is simple. It’s the people. Never in all our travels have we met a more kind, hardworking, friendly and fun loving staff. We applaud all of you! If I have misspelled anyone’s name, my apologies. First off, many thanks and hugs to Erika and Ivone for taking such great care of us, we loved our rooms and the little extras made us feel so special. Hats off to Victor, Cindy and Carolina at the front desk and Raul at the taxi area, they were always helpful. To Carlos and Silvania, for excellent housekeeping and wonderful towel art (we loved our surprises every day!). The Entertainment team of Aidan, Victor, Karina, Sylvia and Denice, to name a few, thank you, thank you, thank you! We give you all a 110% rating :) From the pool and beach games, exercise and Spanish lessons, to the evening entertainment, especially the kids mini disco (our kids are stilling talking about it!), you do such an amazing job and we loved spending time with you. Our new best friends friends at the pool bar – Abel, Esteban, Hilario, Jose and Freddy, service with a smile, an Hola and “much tequila”, gracias!! To Chef Ruben and his hard working team, the food was delicious and plentiful, and thank you Jorge and Manuel for looking after us at breakfast at the buffet as well as all the rest of the servers, you were all good. To Neri at the gourmet coffee bar, I miss seeing your smile every day, you are truly a gem, as is Enrique at the disco, who in our opinion makes the world’s greatest Mojito.

If we really had to complain about something, unfortunately it would have to be about some of the other guests that were there at the same time. Could not believe how rude some people were to the staff. A tip, or at the very least a thank you goes a long way, they work so hard!
A couple of mornings I had a little whine about the fact that the coffee bar didn't open before 10 am because I was too lazy to make my own or walk to the buffet. :)

Sorry for the long review but the Allegro certainly deserves the coverage. We will be going back, hopefully sooner than later. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about this wonderful little resort. Will add some of our photos to this review once I figure out how.

“til next time”.

Room Tip: upgrade to Superior Premium for rooms close to the beach and/or pools
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Marianne019
Reviewed 9 April 2012

This hotel was one of the best hotels we have ever stayed at and we have been throughout Europe, Asia and some of the Carribbean. Please do not let negative people who can never be satisfied deter you from staying at this hotel; to listen to them would be a BIG mistake.

My husband and I travelled from March 29-April 5th with two other couples (all around 30 years old) and we loved every second of our vacation.

Food: Some of the best food and a huge variety. Those people that say there is nothing to eat should stay at home and cook whatever it is that they call food for themselves. There was everything; authentic Mexican, tex-mex, Cdn/US food, fresh fruit, huge salad bar, etc. No shortage in any department. As well the different themed nights were a nice suprise and made for more variety. No dissapointment in this area.

Drinks: We have been to resorts where they water the drinks down and this is not the case here. We were met with exceptional service and delicious drinks all day, everyday! And the bartenders were great!

Rooms: the rooms were very clean and spacious. Again, for the complainers on here; of course you may have some peeling paint and humidity in the room, but YOU ARE IN A TROPICAL COUNTRY...What do you expect? If you cant handle this, then stay home! We requested a top floor room as we found the idea of a thatched roof exotic and romatic....It was just that! The only point to make is that the birds can be very loud in the morning, but hey, thats nature and we asked for it.... :)

Resort: Beautiful in everyway....Grounds were breathtaking, not too big, so you had a cozy feel and the beach was perfect! Also, we were only a 20 minute walk to Playa, so it was nice to get out and explore in the evenings- plus there was a mini market about 2 minutes up the street on your left which was great!

Staff: some of the best we have ever met! They went above and beyond expectations in all areas such as food, drinks, room service, excursions and the daily activties were so much fun...I dont know how they do it everyday with a smile on their face in such heat...but they do and it shouldnt go unnoticed! Erika (guest services), Ricardo (room cleaning), Abel (bartender), Victor and Iman (daily activities) and the wait staff will always stick out in our minds....They were so attentive and made the resort that much more enjoyable.

Check in: We were greeted with a cocktail and a welcome package and informed about everything on the resort. We arrived around 9am, but our room wasnt ready until around 3-ish (which is completely normal for resorts), so we just put on our bathing suits and headed for the beach...When the room was ready, Erika came down to let us know...The time flew by as we were hanging having some drinks and food- not a big deal at all.

Nightly entertainment: we went to a couple of the shows, which were super funny and cute....The staff did an excellent job after being out in the sun all day!

Overall: This resort was one of my favorities in the world and I would reccommend it to anyone..all ages. We had a blast and will hopefully be back within the next year or so.

Room Tip: We stayed in the 50 block..Anything there would be great...Close to the beach and pool.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Jessica U
Reviewed 9 April 2012

My girlfriend and I visited this resort with two other couples during the first week of April. This resort offers tremendous value and we experienced excellent customer service. I did lots of research beforehand and knew not to expect a 5 star room and lots of night life options, but was happy with each as I had realistic expectations.

Service/Staff: From the moment we arrived, until the moment we left, I was very satisfied with the service we received and the very positive attitude's of the staff who were always smiling. Erika greeted us upon arrival to give us the details of the resort along with getting us settled in our rooms. The bar/wait staff did a fantastic job a as well, and noticed throughout the week that we received the same high level of service whether we tipped or not.

Beach/Pool: I'd rank the beach as a 4.5 star, with the only issue being some shells in the sand that can hurt your feet at times, but weren't that big of a deal. The ocean was great. The pool was also fantastic. We didn't have a problem finding chairs at either as some have reported, but it didn't hurt to wake up a little early to reserve a spot in the shade.

Rooms: The rooms were pretty basic, but comfortable with everything we needed. They refilled our mini fridge daily with beer, soda and water. The water pressure in the shower wasn't as strong as I would have liked, and I think there was an issue with our air conditioner as the room didn't seem as cold as the rooms our friends were in. The bed was comfortable and there was plenty of room to store our things. The hotel may want to consider some type of new cable or satellite television setup for people like me who enjoy watching a bit of TV before bed or while resting in the late afternoon, as there wasn't much to watch.

Food/Drinks: The food options were great. Breakfast has lots of variety, whether you wanted something more hearty, like breakfast meats and eggs, or continental stuff like cereals and breads. There was always lots of fruits and the coffee was good too. I really enjoyed the lunch options. Lots of meats on the grill, a pizzeria along with a lot of other things. One day they had chicken wings, which were great. The diner buffet has a different theme each night. Our group really enjoyed Mexican night and all the other nights were pretty good as well. I enjoyed the salmon at the Italian a-la-carte, but our group seemed to prefer the Mexican restaurant. The drink options at the bar were fantastic. We really enjoyed the variety of frozen drinks and I was happy to see that they had spiced rum.

Entertainment: Adan, Victor and the rest of the entertainment staff did an amazing job both day and night. They were very engaging and got people involved in lots of different games throughout the day. By far, the 'Crazy Games' were the best. They also put on nightly shows, which were very lighthearted and fun, which included audience involvement. We really enjoyed the comedy show. It might be a good idea to bring in some type of band one night a week to mix things up.

Location: The location was great. It was about a 20 minute walk into town, and there's a little market about a three minute walk to the left. We all felt very safe.

The resort had a good mix of people there, from young couples to families. There wasn't too many party animals there, which made for a low key and relaxing environment. There was a lot of French and European people there, some of whom lacked manners that most learn in the first grade such as blatantly cutting in line and not thanking someone for opening a door for them, but this isn't the fault of the resort. Most people were quite nice though and kept to themselves.

Two things I would have really liked to have seen would be a small gym/fitness room along with a bar either in the lobby or nearby. There is a disco near that end of the resort, but it was very warm and not very lively.

Overall, we were very happy. I would be happy to return and would recommend this resort to friends. I wouldn't be surprised if we book there again next year if the rate is similar to what we paid this year.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank JTOsborne
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I have to say we can not wait to be there this weekend at the Allegro!

So far it has been nothing but a great experience and we haven't even left our home yet.

We just received a letter from Erika and Aida letting us know that they will be there when we arrive if we need anything and asked if we have any request or question before we arrive.
We travel alot and never received such a welcome.
I am feeling very confident that we are going to enjoy this hotel and their staff very much!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Hairsma
Reviewed 3 April 2012

First we arrive at noon to be told that our room won't be ready until 3 pm. We have to leave our luggage in front of the hotel and wait until 3pm to get our room. The place where we were located was amazing but the room reflect a 3 stars hotel not a 4 stars. Anyway, we still have a very good time over there the staff is very nice, the beach is amazing but if you want some shade get ready to get up early because at 5h30 every place on the beach were taking ( not enough palapas or palm trees). This was not a big deal because I was getting up at 4h30 am so we always got a place an even reserve for some friends we met there. Be careful the first morning a tourist stole my towel to reserve there place...

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
0.2 km away
Viva Wyndham Azteca
Viva Wyndham Azteca
#76 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Allegro Playacar? Share your experiences!