This was our first trip as a couple, also a first going to Mexico. We stayed at the Riu Yucatan for 7 nights and we were both pretty pleased with our experience. To start the hotel felt very safe, it's in a gated community with about 5 or so other Riu hotels. You have full access to the other Riu hotels and their amenities in the community, minus the Palace and another one, forgot the name. There's lots of shopping within the gated community, Starbucks, scooter rentals, atv rentals etc.
The hotel staff was very friendly and always helpful. The buffet food was excellent with a wide variety of foods to chose from, I never left hungry :) The rooms were always cleaned and stocked up with towels and bottled water. There was always some activities happening whether it be in the day or night. The beach was well kept.
downsides: the shower didn't drain fast enough so it started to pool a little, we just fixed that by showering with less water. There were certain parts of the hotel that stunk a little, particularly around the pool and bar area behind the towel shack. The beds were OK, not great, not bad either. There were mosquitoes around the property, nothing bug spray couldn't fix. Just keep your room door and balcony doors closed to keep them out!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located in the Yucatan peninsula, 3 km/ 1.9 Miles from Playa del Carmen * In Playacar's resort area, along with the Riu Palace Mexico, Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Playacar and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels * Main building and 2-storey buildings * Mexican "Hacienda" style architecture * Surrounded by 40,000 m2/44,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * On the beachfront * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Next to the Mexican Street * 800 m/2,650 ft. From various shops * 55 km/34 miles from Cancun Int'l. Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity.ca, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Hotel Riu Yucatan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Yucatan Playacar Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Yucatan Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Yucatan Mexico
- Rui Yucatan
- Hotel Riu Yucatan Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico