Just returned from a week of fun in the sun. My wife and I went with our 2 boys and their girlfriends. We requested 3 rooms on the 3rd floor and in the same block. They got it right the first time. My wife and I had a suite, room 4301, it was beautiful. The huge balcony and extra room with a couch was great.
The resort itself is very beautiful, built around the jungle so there is lots of vegetation, beautiful plants and trees all around. The beach was breathtaking,beautiful white sand and the blue water. Take some buns or bread out in front the resort go out about waste deep and throw in the water you will be surrounded by angel fish!
Loved the food. The buffet was huge, always lots of selection. For breakfast loved the fresh fruit and the smoothies made from real fruit every day. Never grew tired of what was there. They had a seafood night with jumbo prawns that were amazing and grilled tuna. We tried the steakhouse which was good, heard some people say too much salt, but my steak was good. Also did the Mexican which i thought was deliscious and lots of food. Tortilla soup was yummy.
The staff was very friendly. The entertainment crew kept people involved who wanted to be. The bar tenders were supurb, hard working and super friendly. They were good with jokes and some funny props.They were great at making the flaming shooters. It was really nice to have big glasses that were actually glass at night instead of the plastic cups. The shows at night were typical and i woud rate them ok.
We also had access to the RIU Tequila and the RIU Playacar so wew had to have a cerveca an check out both. The Tequila had the disco and the sports bar( where you could get snacks and drinks 24 hours). The disco was pretty small, really loud and the glasses kind of smelled.
The Tequila gounds were beautiful as well. It is not on the beach and you have a couple minute walk from the Yucatan. The Playacar was smaller and i did not think as nice as the Yucatan.
The only problem we had was a lack of security in the resort. The resort is in a gated community but there is really no security on the resort itself. My wife spotted someone going through the bushes late one night, called the front who said they would send someone and they never did.
Overall a wonderful resort, would not hesitate to recommend.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located in the Yucatan peninsula, 3 km/ 1.9 Miles from Playa del Carmen * In Playacar's resort area, along with the Riu Palace Mexico, Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Playacar and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels * Main building and 2-storey buildings * Mexican "Hacienda" style architecture * Surrounded by 40,000 m2/44,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * On the beachfront * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Next to the Mexican Street * 800 m/2,650 ft. From various shops * 55 km/34 miles from Cancun Int'l. Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity.ca, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and Hotels.com so you can book your Hotel Riu Yucatan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Yucatan Playacar Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Yucatan Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Yucatan Mexico
- Rui Yucatan
- Hotel Riu Yucatan Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico