Booked through First Choice, would have been helpful to know beforehand that an exit tax of approx £50 pp is required when leaving Mexico at the airport. Some holiday companies include this in the holiday cost.
The hotel is along a road with other hotels some of which you can go to as part of your package ...Riu Tequila and Riu Playacar. We think we made the right choice choosing the Yucatan after visiting these 2. The playacar is brand new and yes looks lovely but lacked some atmosphere and looked quite bland around apartments and pool. Tequila is older ,has a more Mexican feel with its lovely decor but food choice not so good and pool area a bit tatty with cups laying around.... but has a nice swim up bar. Green and nice wildlife roaming around but also came into restaurant!!!!
Yucatan has lots of trees and the gorgeous monkeys . You hear them early in the morning and at dusk and you can watch them from the paths and your balcony.
Lots of other wildlife too. It's modern and very clean. Staff are walking around constantly sweeping, cleaning and picking up drinks cups etc.
Bar staff work v v hard and are quick to serve. Good choice of drinks available.
Food was great and if you use the buffet wisely you can have varied meals, if you pile up your plate with a bit of everything yes you will soon get bored.
Breakfast - fresh fruit, cereals, smoothies, eggs, omelettes, bacon, sausages, Mexican specials, pancakes, churros, amazing choice.
Lunch - buffet by beach and pool had lots of choice and you could pop in to get a snack or icecream too.
Dinner- buffet , great choices. Tried all the restaurants too. Asian was lovely , Italian good too. Steak house disappointed as meat was tough. Mexican was lovely food (booked it at 7a.m at breakfast that day) BUT it was sooooo hot I couldn't enjoy the food.
Rooms are comfortable- yes the shower is not that private but we asked for a shower curtain for our teenagers room which they were happy to provide which was laid over the glass door.
Comfy beds, good air conditioning and lovely balcony (although watch out for mosquitoes if you sit out)
Bedroom furniture could do with updating draws marked and rickety but wasn't a major issue for us.
Cleaners worked hard and room was kept lovely and towels changed regularly.
The toilets around the hotel were kept amazingly clean for public facilities which was pleasing.
2 pools to choose from - chill out pool was peaceful and had a bar and always plenty of beds. Other pool by beach had more entertainment but not too rowdy if you sat over the other side but too many people reserving sun beds by 7a.m !!!!
Swim up bar BIG disappointment water is murky and not inviting , could just be suncream but needs filtering.
All pools are like a hot bath by 2pm so you can't cool off !
The beach is beautiful and yes there will be seaweed if the weather changes but that's nature!!!! The staff are up clearing it at sunrise ! Plenty of sun beds and nicer than being by the pool and only a few steps to go back to hotel.
Went on the pirate ship trip with Tui which was fun for all the family pricey but nice to have a change. They had a 'deal' buy one get one free .
The entertainment in hotel is poor - maybe a disco one night for young adults and teens and us oldies !!
Went to 5th avenue once , cab from hotel. V busy with bars and shops (quite pricey) Be careful to not get ripped off with drinks prices .....heard a few stories whilst there.
Went to the trips kiosk opposite the playacar and booked Tulum,turtles and Cenote trip. Much cheaper than Thomsons and we had a great day out (NS tours) We got a good deal when we didn't book immediately price kept dropping.
If you do go on this trip take LOTS of water as hot and wear once a day cream applied before you leave as you cannot apply cream when swimming with turtles and in Cenote.
We took dollars and pesos - hardly spent anything , would only take pesos next time.
All in all a lovely holiday.
With any holiday I would say pay as much as you can - if this hotel is your price limit then you should have a good Value holiday.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located in the Yucatan peninsula, 3 km/ 1.9 Miles from Playa del Carmen * In Playacar's resort area, along with the Riu Palace Mexico, Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Playacar and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels * Main building and 2-storey buildings * Mexican "Hacienda" style architecture * Surrounded by 40,000 m2/44,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * On the beachfront * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Next to the Mexican Street * 800 m/2,650 ft. From various shops * 55 km/34 miles from Cancun Int'l. Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity.ca, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and Hotels.com so you can book your Hotel Riu Yucatan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Yucatan Playacar Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Yucatan Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Yucatan Mexico
- Rui Yucatan
- Hotel Riu Yucatan Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico