“Fantastic service at Riu Yucatan in Playa!”
Review of Hotel Riu Yucatan

Hotel Riu Yucatan
Ranked #62 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 4 July 2007

I was amazed at the incredible staff at the Riu Yucatan! From the minute we arrived they made sure to fufill all of our requests. We were even able to ask for a specific lower floor, beach/pool room.
They staff was friendly and understanding--the entire hotel is clean and welcoming.

The rooms are fine, the mini-bar full, the beds comfy---my only observation was that the clean towels did have a nasty scent to them--perhaps they need some dryer sheets! That was insignificant to me, although I overheard one woman rant at the poor young man at the desk about the smelly towels---get a life!!!!

The bars are plentiful, the drinks constant, the bartenders very pleasant. PLEASE NOTE-- although the resort is an all inclusive there is nothing wrong with tipping the great service---My cousin and I( fifty-something latinas who are not rich, believe me!!!) made sure to carry dollar bills to tip the bartenders. They work for very low wages.

The beach is lovely--lots of topless women due to the huge number of europeans vacationing there. The surf was fab! The weather fine---no rain. Went into town and strolled, but go to WALMART for the real deals---same souvenirs you can get in the touristy shops for 1/3 the cost. Also very nice beachwear!

The taxi will cost $5. I found the taxi drivers to be very helpful as well. One after-party drive to a great taco stand proved that!

I will be back NEXT year!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
8  Thank Lillimarie
There are newer reviews for Hotel Riu Yucatan

Reviewed 3 July 2007

Just back from 7 nights at the Riu Yucatan with my 15 year old son. Was a bit apprehensive after reading some of the reviews but all in all, it was value for money.
The room was clean and fairly typical of other Carribean hotels I have stayed at. Food was reasonably good and the buffet was better than the speciality restaurants with enough choice to cover 7 days. The beach is somewhat narrow but with beautiful white sand and blue sea. There are sufficient water sports such as kayak, catamaran, etc as well as some at additional cost - Jetski´s and Parasailing. The outstanding aspect of the hotel resort is the service and employees.
In terms of clientele, the mix was probably 60% couples, 35% families & 5% groups/others.
The only downside was mosquitoes despite using sprays etc.
All in all, a value for money experience but 7 days is sufficient.

• Stayed: July 2007
2  Thank Mateo27
Reviewed 1 July 2007

We just got back from a family vacation at the Yucatan. We had stayed previously at the Riu Tequila. I would definitely prefer the Yucatan due to its oceanside location. The weather was beautiful but extremely humid. In the evenings there was a nice cool breeze that came off the ocean that was amazing!

The rooms were very nice, very clean, and housekeeping does an excellent job. The towel animals are so cute! Beds are a little hard but I actually slept great. A/C did have a hard time keeping up because it was so hot.

We stayed in building #5 which was awesome as it was right next to the pool, bars, restaurants, and since we were traveling in a group of 20 this was nice. The only drawback to staying in these buildings that are by everything is that the nightly entertainment is very loud and we could hear it in our room like it was right next to us. This goes on until at least 11:00 PM each night, sometimes later. So if you're really tired you may want to bring earplugs. I did like the location, however, so it worked out okay.

The animacion team does a fantastic job - they will leave you alone if you don't want to be bothered. They are good about keeping things going at all times of the day. The men on the team sure do know how to charm the women - very flattering!

The food was just okay - I would have liked to have seen a little more variety. In the buffet they have mostly the same things over and over - they had pasta out on the patio every night - it would have been nice to have something else. We ate at the steakhouse - pretty good but not as good as when we ate at the Tequila steakhouse 2 years ago (the menu was exactly the same). My steak was pretty fatty, but it was a nice change from the buffet. We also ate at the Asian restaurant, and it was very good.

There are 2 swimup bars - kind of nice! Just be prepared as they close at 5:00 PM. I think it is like this at most of these resorts. I think they want to get you out and getting ready for the dinner and nightlife.

The grounds are beautifully kept, and the staff is wonderful. There is plenty for everyone to do. Be sure to take advantage to the complimentary daily use of boogie boards, kayaaks, paddle boats, etc. We also paid to go parasailing - it was the most wonderful experience! We had a wonderful time and I would definitely go back to this resort.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
6  Thank cmstengel
Reviewed 27 June 2007

My wife ,2 teenage boys and myself stayed at the Yucatan from the 4th June- 18th June,having read some of the recent negative reviews, i thought i would give a brief account of our stay.
Firstly the buffet was very good,it must of been as my 2 boys never complained about it.The speciality restaurants were very good as well,easy to make a reservation,just do it when you have breakfast (you dont have to get up early).
The rooms were ample for our needs and spotlessly clean with no insect problems.We stayed in block 6 near the the theatre facing a neighbouring hotel separated by trees which during the 2nd week of our stay became home to the Howler monkeys.
The pool,yes there are problems with sun beds,but this is only due to selfish guests not the hotel,although crowded you can find spares on the beach and if you want seclusion just walk a few hundred yards south and you will have the beach to yourself.
We found the staff to be cheerful and very polite ,the entertainment staff were good without being too pushy.maybe showing my age but i thought the evening shows very good.
Plenty for the kids to do,table tennis tournaments,volley ball,tennis,water sports etc.Glad we took them to Xcaret as we all enjoyed it,got the Xcaret plus tickets which included drinks and a buffet lunch,which was high quality and good value,went to Chichen Itza a long trip but worth it,also went swimming with dolphins,expensive but very good.
All in all a very good hotel and resort,i would have no hesitation in recommending it,far superior to any `Med` holiday,to sum up the best holiday weve had.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
11  Thank Lufc67
Reviewed 24 June 2007

We stayed the Yucatan for 14 nights, in the middle of June.
We arrived at about 3pm in the afternoon, and found our room overlooked the pool and the theatre. We didn't even need to look out of the balcony to know this as we could hear the noise from the room.
So, day 1 found us back at reception asking to move rooms, which we were able to do the next day.

The food in the main restaurant was excellent, there was a good choice, and the waiters were friendly and helpful.

Day 2 we got up at what we thought was early as we were still 6 hours ahead, had breakfast then got to the pool by about 9.30, but although there were maybe a hundred or so deckchairs, literally every one was taken, we managed to find two together on the beach a little way back from the sea, but those weren’t as comfortable as the ones by the pool.

For the rest of the holiday we were up at 7.30 every morning to put some towels on the sun beds, but even at that time there were only about half left to choose from.

The pools were quite nice, although they weren’t very clean, and one of them was heated, which really wasn’t needed in the heat as it was like swimming in a hot bath.
The beach, well there wasn’t really any beach as it had suffered quite badly from erosion, so all the sunbeds were crammed together in long lines. The one time we managed to find two together, in the sun, we had only just sat down when we were surrounded by about 10 people and a member of the ‘entertainment team’ who were about to play horseshoes within yards of were we were sitting, so we moved… again.

The mornings by the pool were fairly quiet and relaxing, up until about 10am when it started getting very noisy and busy, (about the same time as the pool bars open)
It then got noisier and noisier until about 3pm when the entertainment started, blaring out noise and shouting into the microphone, at that point we normally decided it was time for a Siesta and went back to the room for some peace and quiet.

The rooms were nice, the minibar was good, but if you had a drink, you had to be careful about putting it on the bedside table as it had ants swarming over it within the hour.

We found the excursions were very good, as it gave us a chance to get out of the hotel, but don’t go to Xcaret, it was like a Theme Park with long queues but no rides.

The Yucatan is not a good place for couples, as it was far too noisy and crowded, it might be better for a group of friends who just want to get drunks and party, but if you are looking for a relaxing holiday, this hotel is not for you, try the Riu Palace next door.

We won't be going back

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
6  Thank phil543
Reviewed 23 June 2007

Now take this review for what it's worth! I stayed at the Riu Yucatan with friends, leaving husbands and children at home. One friend booked the trip and the rest of us just showed up, trusting we were all on the same page. This was not the case. If I were in college or early 20's this would have been fine. However, at this point in my life I expect a bit more.

Here are my complaints: ants in the beds, biting insects in rooms that left dime size swollen marks on your body, mold in the bathrooms, the beds were hard as rocks and smelled like bug spray, birds bomb diving you as you try and eat in the open air restaurants, no pool service, no chairs to sit on unless you "reserve" them before 8am (two 60 year old Germen Men got in a fist fight over pool chairs one day...what is that????), the food below average (except for breakfast buffet) and the drinks tasted dirty?

Positives were the staff was friendly, the massages at the Spa were very good and the breakfast buffet was good. Transportation to and from the airport was clean, air-conditioned and on time.

I have been to Playa a couple times. I stayed at the Royal Hideaway my last visit. Now, I was not expecting the RH, but yes something a bit more luxurious. My fault for not getting involved in the planning. I give it a solid 2 1/2 stars. That said, there were many people we spoke with that were enjoying the resort and what it offered- the 20 somethings! So there you go!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with friends
8  Thank MarcelleLA
Reviewed 22 June 2007

Hola Amigos, my wife and I stayed at the Yucatan from June 2 through June 10. Most of the previous reviews were accurate concerning the rooms, food and activities, so I won't go into details. One thing that we did not know, was the Riu Tequila is not on the beach, the people who stay there come to the Yucatan to use the beach. This causes the overcrowding at the pools also. Although this is problem is not the Riu's fault, people should be aware. To be honest, the only real problems we occured during our stay was with some (very) rude guests and the MOSQUITOS. For some reason, the hotels lobby is a haven for the pesky critters. If you stand-or sit still- for seconds, you will get bit numerous times. This happened to us the second day we were there and we learned our lesson. The rowdy guests were the major distraction. We have stayed in the Riviera Maya three (3) times now and it is getting worst. For some reason, some Americans and Europeans alike think they have the license to act like FOOLS when they go to these resorts. How management puts up with these idiots is beyond me. I don't know if it is the time of year we go or what, but we can't seem to get away from these "animals". In conclusion, regardless of which Riu you go to, beware of the people who don't think of no one, but themselves. To the Riu employess: Thank you for all of your hard work

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
#55 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
17.7 km away
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
20.3 km away
Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Hotel Riu Yucatan? Share your experiences!