“Fantastic Family Experience”

Ranked #21 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Boise, Idaho
“Fantastic Family Experience”
Reviewed 17 February 2012

We went at the end of March for Idaho's School spring break.The weather was perfect. We were also joined by two other families. The hotel is beautiful, and the staff quickly accomodated us when I was not happy with our room, I wanted an ocean view and we defintiely got it! The staff was always extremely helpful and the grounds were well kept. The restaurants on site were very good, even though we left almost every night to enjoy the quaint local flavor of the charming 5th st ( as I recall) . The all inclusive aspect of this hotel was definitely a good thing with the kids, snacks, and booze we had. But we still spent quite a bit on places along 5th st and the beach. This hotel is perfectly located to the quaint Playa Del Carmen and the activities and entertainment they offer are great for parents and kids! I would definiteley recommend this hotel and destination!

Room Tip: Make sure you have an ocean view as the water is gorgeous turquoise
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank dawnmariet
rmalacara, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, 20 February 2012
Dear Guest,

On behalf of all our staff at Playacar Palace we thank you for all comments about our resort and the service.
Your opinion is very important to us and we are glad to know your experience at the hotel was exceptional.

Thank you for your review and hope to see you again in the near future.

RM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,122)
  • Korean first
syracuse ny
Reviewed 17 February 2012

We had booked a week here. Unfortunately they were overbooked. I had reserved an oceanfront room with a king bed (we are Palace Members) and when we arrived were given a room with double beds and in an absolutely lousy location. It had a partial ocean view, but the other view off our pathetically small balcony was of the side of the resort next door and a narrow alley cluttered with construction debris, construction vehicles and construction workers break area! NOT ACCEPTABLE. Apparently they are short room inventory because they are in the middle of construction on several of them to make them swim up rooms with private pools. I feel like I was duped. When I called to make my reservation, there was no mention of a room shortage or high bookings. I was told I had a reservation for what I asked for. People were checking out daily, I feel like they should have been able to transfer us into a decent room with a king size bed, since that is what I reserved. Despite several and repeated conversations with guest services, reception, etc. nothing was done. Finally, we gave up after two days and transferred to another sister resort. It was very dissapointing, the entire reason we chose Playacar was its convenient location to the ferry to Cozumel, Fifth Ave shops and restaurants and the gorgeous expanse of beachfront. Aside from the problem with the rooms, the resort itself is beautiful. The food was delicious, the service was good.
PS It was rather ironic. We met with the sales people who tried to convince us to upgrade our Palace Membership. To which my response was "why would I pay you any more money when I'm not getting what I've already paid for? (ie. members are supposed to be guaranteed a certain level of room assignment. I ended up with a room that was probably worse than RCI members or someone who just randomly booked a room there off the internet!!)

Room Tip: Doesn't matter, based on my experience, you get what you get, doesn't matter what you ask fo...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mlb50
rmalacara, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Dear Guest,

First off we would like to start saying thanks for your time in writing this review.

We would like to apologize for the lack of ocean front rooms while you were here, we are very sorry to hear that your stay here wasn’t so pleasant, I really hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

By the end of July the construction of our SPA and Gym will be ready and I can assure you this will became your favorite Resort.

We would also like to thank you for all your recommendations and we would for sure take them into consideration.

Sincerely

Bentonville, Arkansas
Reviewed 17 February 2012

We went for a (way too short) celebration of a friends birthday. There were 8 of us in the group, and I know we all loved this place and would return. The service is amazing-Efrain was the very best-even though he must be overworked, as we saw him at late dinner and breakfast every day we were there! All staff were friendly, not overbearing and just the right amount of attentiveness. Enjoyed the beach, pool, the rooms, the food, the drinks, the location...everything, and will definitely go back and recommend to others.

Room Tip: If you are like us, you will spend very little time in the rooms. I will say 3 of the 4 couples had...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jennifer D
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your excellent review.

It feels so great to know that we are doing a good job (Specially Efrain) and that guests are returning back home with such an amazing experience after staying with us.

We appreciate you taking the time to write about us and we hope too see you again in the near future.

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 14 February 2012

This was our first time in Playa Del Carmen, but have been to many other Palace resorts. This one didn't disapoint! Had great meals in all 3 restaurants and did the romantic dinner on the beach. Had great service for every dinner, although breakfast seemed a little slow.

The Aqua bar in the pool was great!!! Carlos and Gerardo took great care of us!!! Their English was very good and they never let our drinks get warm!!! The cook up top took great care of hubby, he likes things hot and the cook would make him special hot sauces, cut up habaneros, etc. Trivia in the pool was a blast too!!!

Played golf at Playacar 1 time, great course and very challenging!!! The club house is very nice with great sandwich options. Didn't get to use the spa:( but I'm sure it was very nice. Reminded me of the spa at Moon Palace.

Will be going back again!!! Also, one of the reasons we picked this one is to go to Cozumel for a day which we did...great day trip!!!!

Room Tip: We had a concierge room which was on the 5th floor center...very nice view!!!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sabrechic
Dear Guest,

We are grateful to hear your good reviews about the hotel and we are glad to hear that you spent a nice vacation here with us at Playacar Palace.

Thank you also for acknowledging our staff and Carlos and Gerardo great service.

We hope to see you back again very soon.

Hammond, la
Reviewed 14 February 2012

We had a wonderful time at the Playacar Resort. Everyone from the wait staff to the resort manager was friendly, personable and eager to make our stay as enjoyable as possible. We had a private dinner out on the beach one night and Max the head chef for the hotel came out and was a delight. Rene the resort manager was very friendly and helpful.

The resort is a 3 minute walk from the shopping and ferry to take you to Cozumel if you wanted. Beaches were very nice and stretched about as far as you would care to walk. If you want to sky dive, they land right in front of the resort on the beach. The water is crystal clear and relatively calm, 1 foot waves.

Even though the resort was sold out, it never seemed so. Drinks were easy to get and after a day or two the staff called you by name. Very short waits if any at the restaurants.

The ages ranged for 21 to 55 and we all had a great time. We are already planning our return trip.

The only negative is they could use more Presidential suites. They only have two at the entire resort and they were booked. However, the rooms were certainly large enough for a couple.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
rmalacara, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
Hola!

Thank you very much for your trust and for your comments, we are very happy to read that you had a wonderful stay with us, it was a pleasure to meet you and I really hope to see you enjoying Playace Palace again in the near future.

Warmest regards

RM

p.d. Massimiliano says hello!
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed 14 February 2012

My sister and I spent a week at Playacar Palace and we had a fabulous time. I would recommend it to everyone. All the staff, from the gardeners to VIP's greeted us with a genuine smile and an "ola" whenever we crossed paths. The service is exceptional.We truly enjoyed all the food and the buffet offered a different theme every evening. The resort was absolutely spotless everywhere. The servers, particularly Luis and Artemio and Pedro, were wonderful and catered to us like we were royalty. Make sure you try the Pineapple flambe, and the tomato basil soup from the Italian restaurant. The $1500. credit was an added bonus - we took in a tour to Tulum ( very informative) and the hot stone massage was to die for. Our room was cleaned morning and night. The pool area was great - lots of chairs and the servers were always around asking us if we needed anything. The staff work very hard and non stop and get paid very little so tipping is very much appreciated. 5th Avenue is steps away from the resort. The resort is small compared to many others which made it much more personal. Our room was on the 1st floor which was on the same level as the pool and buffet restaurant and I loved that because it was easy to go back to our room for anything we might have forgotten. I would definitely return to this resort in a minute.

Room Tip: ask for a ocean view room
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ladyrose1
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your kind words for us and also for the great recommendations to readers of Tripadvisor.

It’s our pleasure to know that yours and your sister’s vacation with us met your every expectation and you felt comfortable at the resort. I hope we will can have the privilege of welcoming you back in the near future.

Respectfully

Tualatin, Oregon
Reviewed 12 February 2012

My husband and I spent a wonderful week at Playacar Palace January 25-February 1. We had a great time and would recommend it to our friends for its location and service. The $1500 was nice, too. This was our first trip away from our one-year-old, so having the ability to call home from my room was very helpful.

This was our 7th all-inclusive vacation and this hotel had the best service we have experienced. The staff were all friendly, professional and prompt most of the time. We never had an issue booking spa treatments or getting whatever we needed. On our last night we had an issue in our room. Some water leaked in through the ceiling (this kind of stuff happens in Mexico) and soaked our room, including some of my luggage. Guest services called several times before I could return their call. There wasn't anything they could do for me, but it was nice to know they cared. The resort was very clean, but there were some scratched walls and musty areas. This doesn't bother me at all, but it might bug some.

The food at the resort was better-than-average for an all-inclusive. The Asian restaurant was fine. The food was fresh and tasted fine, but didn't taste like anything I'd had before. The buffet was pretty good. Their soups and fajitas were really good. The Italian restaurant was exceptional. We ordered many different items there over several nights and thoroughly enjoyed everything. The only things I'd change about dining here are: make service a little more efficient (meals took a little too long), have self serve coffee in the morning or more options ( I hated waiting for my coffee, which often took a while), and provide an outdoor dining option other than the buffet (we come to Mexico to enjoy the weather).

We were in room 414, which was a Governor Suite. We had a fantastic view and were able to get that room using $1000 of our room credit. We'd already done most of the tours on previous visits to the Riviera Maya, so we didn't know how else to use it. The room was cleaned twice each day and was very comfortable.

The beach was the best we've seen in Mexico. Sometimes the waves were rough, which made the water a little murky, but in the mornings the water was calm and clear. I really recommend getting up early in the morning to watch the sunrise over the ocean. It took us eight years of traveling to Mexico and the Caribbean to do it and we're glad we did. Chairs were abundant by the pool and ocean. Drink service was great, too, as long as you didn't need a new drink every 10 minutes. The music at the pool was inconsistent and not good. I really like resorts that play local music at the pool. I speak little spanish, but don't mind if I can't understand the words. I am annoyed by C&C Music Factory and unedited versions of Cee-Lo at the pool.

There was little to no nightlife at the resort. The Luna Lounge was mostly empty every night, except one night when a group of rowdy 20 somethings took over. The Lobby Bar was fine, but often empty, too. Some live music or something would have been nice. We spent most evenings at the pool bar watching the cruise ships leaving Cozumel. Later on we'd head to 5th Ave. We mostly drink beer, with a few sipping tequilas in between, so I can't comment on drinks

The best thing about Playacar Palace was its proximity to 5th Ave. A short walk down the beach (2 mins) took us to the Ferry Terminal. Another couple of minutes took us to 5th Avenue where we found a couple of fun bars and lots of great restaurants. Our favorites were Ajua Maya and Yaxche. Both had fantastic ceviches. We liked this end of 5th better than the other end.

I had two massages on the terrace at the hotel. I think that it's the area they use for weddings, but they offered massages there during our stay, so I never made it to the spa. Both massages were wonderful.

Our favorite day trip from the hotel was getting a cab (easy to do in front of the hotel) and going to Playa Akumal. It's about a 30 minute drive. We did this twice and snorkeled with the sea turtles. I recommend going early (before 8am) to beat the crowds. We hired a local tour guide for about $20/per person for 90 minutes both times. This included all the gear we needed and a boat ride to the reef. IAfterward you can play on the beach, which is really wonderful. t was the best thing we've done in Mexico.

I would definitely return to this hotel. Being a mom, I'm always looking for places to take my little one. This hotel seemed to be well-prepared for kids. The kids club was empty most of the time, but they had plenty of clean high chairs in the restaurants and changing stations in the bathrooms.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean front room. Room 414 was a great choice.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Grand Oasis Tulum
#18 of 23 in Akumal
20.0 km away
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
10.2 km away
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#42 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
3.8 km away
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#31 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
1.8 km away
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#35 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Playacar Palace? Share your experiences!