“Best Resort vacation vere”
Review of Playacar Palace

Playacar Palace
Ranked #20 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
St. John's, Canada
“Best Resort vacation vere”
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We have bben to Mexico 5 times and the rest of the Carribean on numerous occasions. This is the best resort and some of the best cuisine we have found anywhere. Miles of awesome beach. Small resort but everything you need. 5th ave is right next door with bars and shopping. Staff were truely amazing and the weather was super. Mid Feb and we had sun and 30 degrees all 7 days.Palace does it right. Could use some better wines.

Room Tip: All rooms are good.
4 Thank Harold154964

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,118)
  • Korean first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Just came back (February 25th to March 3rd). I travelled with my wife and two kids ( 3years old and ten months)
Everything went perfect from check-in, staff, service, pool, room, beach....

I just can't see why people have negative comments to say about this resort. I travelled a lot and can say that it is top notch resort.
Book your trip and enjoy...

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank M A
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 5 March 2012

First, let me say that we last visited Playacar Palace back in 2008. It was at about 50% capacity. When we arrived on Tuesday, 2/28, the resort was full. In fact, they told us that it was over-booked. This is our 3rd time visiting a Palace Resort (we are NOT Palace Members) so we expected a room with a view. They placed us in a 1st level room across from the construction zone. While the room itself was nice, it was extremely noisy and there was no view of the ocean. In their defense, Arturo, the reservations manager offered to move us to the Moon Palace and give us an ocean-front room. We declinced because my husband had golf reservations already booked along with transportation. Also, my girlfriend and I wanted to walk into town and walk the beach while our husbands were golfing (that's not an option at the Moon Palace).

SERVICE:
- Fantastic, fantastic, fantastic!! Every single person at the resort is pleasant and so very helpful. They treat their guests well and interact and have fun. This is one of the reasons I really like Palace resorts.

FOOD:
- Generally, AI food is just "Okay". The variety at the Palace is vast. We particuarly liked the Japenese restaurant and used our points for the lobster dinner. While they say that the Italian and Japanese restaurant require long pants for the men, they didn't enforce it. No dress-code was required and we saw lots of shorts and tee-shirts in the evenings.

DRINKS:
- Seemed a little watered down but the wine is fabulous. I particuarly liked their Chardonnay and fell in love with a particular red (brought a cork home to see if my local liquor store can order it).

POINTS:
- We received $1500 per-room to use in various ways. We didn't use them for golf because they require you to book when you arrive. Instead, we upgraded the guys to a golf package and booked our unlimited golf in advance.
- Because we've traveled to Playa close to a dozen times, we chose not to do any of the excursions. Instead, we used our points for the lobster dinner and wine upgrades. They give you the option to use them at the spa as well but we just didn't get around to booking anything.

FITNESS CENTER:
- The fitness center/spa is about a mile south of the Palace in Playacar. They have daily shuttles or you can easily walk/run in less then 10 minutes. They are building a fitness center/spa on site (hence the construction zone).

This is a smaller resort with 200ish rooms. They have one main activity in the evening but this resort pretty much shuts down around 10:00 p.m. It is not an adults only resort but there were very few kids both times we stayed here.
It's within walking distance to 5th Ave so those that want more night life don't have to go far to find it.

Given the resort was filled to capacity when we were there, the pool area tended to be pretty busy. The beach was lovely and there were plenty of chairs for everyone. Lots of "towel-games" happening as people would get up bright and early and reserve their spots.

Overall: GREAT SERVICE, GREAT LOCATION and overall, GREAT resort. We'll likely go back!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Wiscmo
Rosemount, Minnesota
Reviewed 4 March 2012

We have been visiting this very lovely resort for the last 7+ years with our friends. We typically have several couples go together and have the time of our lives. The staff is the best you'll find anywhere. The management is where we have our complaints. We arrived for our 7 day vacation in Playa last week expecting the usual very warm welcome. What we got was "we do not have rooms for you and your friends. You are staying at the moon palace.' We made our reservations 7+ months earlier and ALL of our paperwork that confirmed our reservations said playa car palace on it. We don't stay at the Moon Palace because it's too big. The disappointing part was the obvious inablity of the staff to offer us more than telling us we would have to go to Moon Palace and we could come back in 2 days. The staff is wonderful but the management does not empower them to make any decisions and the management is only available at their convenience. Our friends we travel with have a premier membership....this was NOT premier customer service. I would not tell you not to go there because it is a great place but I do have my concerns now about how they treat guests, and offer no additional compensation for THEIR error. We paid thousands for this trip....and they just say oh well. The staff apologized but the management offered us NOTHING for the inconvenience. That's just wrong. No one could, or would, tell us how this happened. Beware of the promises you get....confirm before you go...my husband has done some research on the palace resorts since our return and the better business bureau only gives them a C+ so think carefully before spending your money. Will we go back? Yes....because this was hopefully a one time error but from talking with others, it's not an isolated experience. The staff can't be beat.....they are AWESOME....the management needs to get their act together!!!!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
15 Thank Deb M
rmalacara, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Dear Guest.-

First and foremost, we would like to thank you for taking the time to review our Resort, as you may know, feedback is of extreme importance for Palace Resorts as it helps us to know how we are doing in terms of service and facilities.

I deeply regret for the situation with your reservations and believe me, this is a very uncommon fact. As I mentioned on property, customer service is following up on this matter. Playacar Palace is always willing to deliver a 100% guest satisfaction and this would not be a exception.

Palace Resorts has aspired for many years to build a brand and reputation with our Guests; and we deeply regret this kind of situations. Again please accept my most sincere apologies.

Respectfully,

Fayetteville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 March 2012

We just returned from a week at Playcar Palace. The view and beach is incredible. Weather was incredible the entire week. Absolutely no problems accessing wifi. There is construction - Palace Resorts is doing a major upgrade - moving the spa and gym from the golf club and building swim up suites. Every attempt was made to keep the construction noise down and the workers stopped every day around 4:30. They didn't bother us in the least.

The food is good overall; however, I found that every shrimp dish was excessively salty to the point of being unedible for me. We went into Playa del Carmen one night for dinner and loved the food in the town - a little pricey because we ate at a restaurand on 5th Avenue.

Angel in the Luna Lounge was a wonderful bartender. He always made us feel like we were long lost friends.

The gold course is beautiful and challenging. Plan on at close to five hours to play the 18 holes. It was not overcrowded the day we played.

Take time for the spa - especially the hydrotherapy.

Room Tip: Ask for the concierge level (third through fifth floors). Extra pampering on those floors.
3 Thank Cathjim822
Dear Guest,

First off we would like to start saying thanks for your time in writing this review we really appreciate this because helps a lot to all travelers to know the reality of our resort.

We would also like to thank you for your recommendations and we would for sure take them into consideration. Chef Massimiliano read your comments and changes will be implemented in order to improve.

I have to say that Angel it’s a must, he loves his job and to talk with our guest make him feel happy for what I have seen. I will pass your comments to him I’m sure he will be proud as I’m.

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 3 March 2012

The resort was excellent, food was amazing and service was second to none. Very clean and well maintained.

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your excellent review.

We hope to have you back with us again in the near future. by the way, Spa and Gym will be ready on property shortly.

MB
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I have not one bad thing to say about this place. Although it is a little higher priced than I am used to it is well well worth it. My sister got married at the resort, everything was perfect from our hair to the ceromony to the food and the reception. I have never been treated so well at a resort. The staff will bend over backwards for you. My Mom is in a wheelchair and if she need some help a staff member was there before I could get up! Good wheelchair acsess around the resort. The food was wonderful I aslo liked the al la carte resturants no reservation needed. The proximity to Play a Del Carmen is second to none, you are next door to senoir frogs and the famous 5th ave in a 3 minute walk. The secuirity is also excellent I always felt very safe. Each room has a hot tub and a walk in shower, about 4 people could fit in both. The mini bar is superb with beer, and a 26 of rum rye vodka and tequillia! We has a partial ocean view with a balcony although I understand some rooms have no balcony or ocen view. Wished I could have stayed for another week, but I will be back!

Room Tip: ask for balcony and at least a partial ocean view
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Grand Oasis Tulum
#18 of 23 in Akumal
20.0 km away
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
10.2 km away
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#45 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
22.6 km away
Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Playacar Palace? Share your experiences!