“Great Vacation” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Michigan
“Great Vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

Went there end of February, everything was good, food was better than the other Palace resorts. Staff great as always.
Customer Service - Carlos was great - really helpful.

This resort has a very good location on the Beach, out of the commercial side (other side of ferry dock) Good location to main square of town.
Beach water temp was 82 degrees - pool was 86-88 degrees - both warm

Highly recommend this resort

Oh there was some construction starting around 9am (new workout room being built on site)

Did the Cave snorkeling trip

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank SteveNMichigan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,071)
  • Korean first
Fargo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

19 of our family and friends stayed at this resort in Feburary 2012. My husband and I were married on the beach on February 16, 2012. From the initial planning of this trip to the flight home, this resort has truely been a wonderful experience. We chose this resort based solely on the reviews from the guests that have been there. When we arrived at the resort, we received a very warm welcome from the staff and checking in was easy and fast. One of our family members is in a wheelchair and all of the staff was very accomodating to her and everyone's needs. I normally would not give anyone a perferct score or rating, because there is always room for improvement, but I have to change my ways with the Playacar Palace. This resort and it's staff are definitly worth a perfect rating! Our wedding was located on the beach, and it was by far beyond my expectations of what I had envisioned. Our wedding coordinator met with us a day and a half earlier, and what she explained and what we wanted were handled perfectly. The whole experience of the wedding and the resort was so above and beyond my expectations, I am still in awe of the attention to details and perfessionalism of everyone we encountered on this trip. I also noticed as we were parasailing one afternoon, that the other resorts north and south of the Palace had very limited beach space. People were very crowded at other resorts, our beach area at the Place was wonderful. We never experienced over-crowding or had loud bass thumping music blaring at us during the day. It certainly was a more relaxed atmosphere without being too dull. We will be certainly coming back to this Palace for another vacation next February!

Room Tip: make sure you do not get a room next to a main entrance to the swimming or buffet areas.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Stacia S
Burlington, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

Great service and location!

This was my first time in Mexico and I think we picked the right place. I read about 50 of these reviews to do my research. If you're into decent buffet food, great beach and pool, exceptional service, and a central location, then you should really consider this resort.

Located next to Senior Frogs (who cares) and the ferry to Cozumel (only worth going to scuba or snorkel) this Palace resort is right on the beach and a short walk to the shopping areas. They have golf, a spa, and a new looking gym, but these are all located off-site where a van does a shuttle every 15 minutes. The resort is kid friendly, but while we were there it was mostly 30's, 40's and 50's year old's.

The reviews that said to book the amenities right away were correct. They fill up quickly. You can only use a limited amount of resort credits on the spa, but unlimited on almost everything else, including golf. Most of the excursions seemed more for families. We did use some credits for a wine upgrade, but that selection could use some improvement.

During our stay the resort was doing some construction during the day. No big deal, since why would anyone spend their beach vacation in the room during the day? The pool and beach are way too nice for that and there are plenty of shaded places to relax. (Unless you are hung over in the room....noise was quite loud at times.) The buffet food was better than expected. Also vegetarian friendly. The resort was very clean with an army of people working constantly both in cleaning and guest service.

Remember to bring a bunch of dollar bills for tips. We would leave a dollar or two at each meal (a little more at the sit down restaurants) and would also tip the housecleaning ladies each day. The bartenders and waitresses give such great service that you'll want tip money, even though the materials say gratuities are included. Oh, and don't forget about 24 hour room service.

The drive from the airport is about 45 minutes. The room was decent size and I think all have in-suite hot tubs. Our balcony had a decent view from the 5th floor.

Hopefully this review was helpful......

Room Tip: Request a balcony, if you want an ocean view.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TfromVT
Sioux Falls, South Dakota, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

I have been to the Moon Palace, Riu Resorts, and Club Meds all over, and I truly enjoyed the extra efforts that the staff made here at Playacar Palace. The best customer attentiveness that I have ever experienced, with the exception of one night at Mo Mo No Hana. The food was delicious everywhere. We even went over to Moon Palace during our stay at Playacar and their food wasn't half as tasty as Playacar's. The Italian restaurant, Terrazza, was exceptionally delicious, and Angel there was quite an awesome host/manager. All the bar staff knew how to make a good drink, and didn't burn them like many other places I've stayed. The beach was some of the best that I have ever been on, and very clean compared to Moon Palace. The rooms were always very well kept and the maid service was exceptional. 5th ave. offers quite the variety of shopping and cuisine. It is great that it is all right at your finger-tips. The golf course was, I thought, well kept compared to many others I've played in the area. They had the best greens and fairways than any golf course I've been to in that area. The spa was awesome! I think those having a wedding there sometimes have the notion that they will be receiving some extra-special treatment just because. What they fail to realize is that they are not the only ones there trying to have a special time and the staff can't just ignore all the rest of the people there. Therefore, they feel they receive an experience that falls short. I appreciated how the staff treats everyone as equally important. An experienced vacationer will love this place. Thank You Playacar Palace!

Room Tip: We had a corner room on the main level. It was very large and spacious and kept cool just fine. Th...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Nick159357
Hayward, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

This is a very small all-inclusive resort but you won't run out of things to do. You receive a $1,500 resort credit (per couple) than can be used for Golf, the Spa, some other exursions, and also upgraded bottles of wine. Golf and Spa are just a short shuttle ride away. We ended up purchasing wine to take home so we could use up our credit. The Golf Course was beautiful, but difficult, and the Spa was also incredible. We ate at both on-site restaurants, Italian and Japanese, and both were fantastic. We also used credit for the lobster or steak candelit dinner on the beach. Food was good, but the ambience was great! Pool area is small, which I guess makes it manageable. You can always find who you are looking for! Walk to town is literally 5 minutes! Lots of restaurants, shops, and night life. Probably most notable was the entertainment each night in the main lobby. Really make the effort to catch these shows!

Room Tip: I don't know what the credit cost would be, but upgrading to a room with a balcony would be nice...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pauli83
rmalacara, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, 24 March 2012
Dear Guest,

On behalf of all our staff at Playacar Palace we thank you for all comments about our resort and the service.
Your opinion is very important to us and we are glad to know your experience at the hotel was exceptional.

Thank you for your review and hope to see you again in the near future.

RM
Toronto
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

I travelled at the end of December, and had my wedding at Playacar Palace. I had expressed my displeasure in my survey, as well as by sending a formal letter to Playacar Palace. It was ignored. As a result, I am now posting my candid review (that had the resort initially responded to me, I would have acknowledged they made good). (Not to readers, scroll through posts from others during the end of Dec –Jan time frame who will offer a similar review)

I will start by saying that the staff of this resort makes it remarkable. Everyone; from the groundskeepers to the beach towel staff to the people we usually take more notice of –bartenders, guest services, front desk…are absolutely exceptional. After our experience it has become obvious however that the executive management of Palace Resorts however takes both their ‘non VIP’ guests and their staff for granted.

During our wedding guest(s) stay, our comfort and use of facilities was completely compromised by Playacar Palace’s catering to Colin Cowie ( Ironically, a D-List celebrity/wedding and event planner) and his guests. I am astounded that Palace resorts would allow one group to take over the resort and infringe upon other paying guests.
As I was hosting a wedding reception at the Playacar Palace I was made aware of the specific rules that applied to having outdoor events/receptions. It was made very clear to me that under no circumstances could we have events outside beyond 10 pm. (presumably due to disturbing other guests) It’s obvious this rule was neither applied or enforced for Mr. Cowie.One evening they had a beach part that lasted until 1 in the morning with the soundsystem and speakers facing the resort. We did not sleep that evening and the next day was certainly not relaxing as we were tired. On New Year’s Eve, their outdoor dance party (DIRECTLY BELOW MY BALCONY) began at 11:30 and lasted until about 4 am. We were also treated to dismantling of this dancefloor at around 7:30 in the morning on January 1st. It’s unfortunate that both my husband and I, and other paying guests paid for an upgrade for an ocean view suite but in fact were the ones that suffered the most from this group and their private events.
I was also very disappointed with how guests who were not in Mr. Cowie’s party were treated for New Year’s Eve festivities. We had the dismal choice of having dinner and celebrations in either the corporate meeting room adjacent to the gift shop or the cramped sports bar. Even the landing outside of the lobby bar was closed off, so that Mr. Cowie and his guests could enjoy cocktails prior to their dinner.

Guests eventually stopped complaining at the front desk, as it was made clear the very first night we were all so horrified, that their hands were tied and nothing would be changed.

I have stayed at the resort when other sizeable corporate groups were in attendance and we never suffered any inconvenience. I believe that Palace resorts and the Playacar Palace made unreasonable exceptions for Mr. Cowie and his group and gave absolutely no thought or concern how this would affect other PAYING GUESTS of the hotel during this time.

This completely compromised our vacation and embarrassed us in front of other guests we encouraged to book there for our wedding.

I have noticed the General Manager Mr. Malacar responding to some of the posts...it's curious that in a public forum you're only to eager to respond, but when I have sent both a letter and filled out 2 satisfaction reviews (at the resort and the one sent to me online after our wedding) there has been no response at all. So customer service is just an illusion?

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
22 Thank Blanchedeveraux
Dear guest,

Please accept my apologies once again for all the inconvenience during your stay; the most important for us is to ensure that you, as our guest, receive everything you are looking for in much needed vacation and celebration.

All what happened is totally uncommon in our Resort and I feel very unhappy that you experienced such unfortunately inconvenient. We’ve already been in communication and as you know we are working on the resolution and to have another opportunity to host you so you and your husband can enjoy the Real Playacar Palace.

Best Regards

RM
St. John's, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

We have bben to Mexico 5 times and the rest of the Carribean on numerous occasions. This is the best resort and some of the best cuisine we have found anywhere. Miles of awesome beach. Small resort but everything you need. 5th ave is right next door with bars and shopping. Staff were truely amazing and the weather was super. Mid Feb and we had sun and 30 degrees all 7 days.Palace does it right. Could use some better wines.

Room Tip: All rooms are good.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
#2 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,837 reviews
3.8 km away
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#31 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#9 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,075 reviews

Been to Playacar Palace? Share your experiences!