La Tortuga Hotel & Spa
Bookit.com
US$439
US$117
Savings alert! 31% below average rates

The price you found is 31% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$169/night.

US$535
US$519
  • Breakfast included
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda(Playa del Carmen)
US$725
US$436
Melia.com
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
US$1,434
US$761
Bookit.com
US$576
US$544
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$487
US$349
Priceline
  • Beachfront
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
US$711
HotelsClick
US$198
HotelsClick
Savings alert! 38% below average rates

The price you found is 38% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$318/night.

US$258
Priceline
2,486 results
All reviewsswim up roomrooftop jacuzzicomo comobeach clubincluded breakfast isattached restaurantboutique hotelcoco bongostandard roomsun deckpool areajunior suitehot tubevery morningshort walk to the beachour honeymoonfifth avenue
Reviewed April 4, 2012

I just returned from a 5 night stay at the wonderful La Tortuga. The staff is exceptional and so helpful for touring Playa del Carmen. This is teh 3rd time I have stayed at this hotel, and the first time where I noticed something very odd. One day we saw more than 5 armed police officers that looked very scary come into the hotel and start to demand information from the staff. I am not sure what happened but it was something that frieghtened me during my stay. I know security in Mexico can be an issue, but I have always thought of Playa and Hotel Tortuga as safe until now. The staff was unaware of what was going on, but the armed men did not seem appropriate. I hope this does not happen again, as many guests do not feel safe around armed police officers during their stay in a foreign country!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Ekochika
LaTortugaG, Guest Relations Manager at La Tortuga Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review La Tortuga Hotel & Spa . We truly value the opinions of our customers and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations, and once again I apologise for that, we are working to achieve a better service and your comments are a great help to identify our areas of improvement.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed April 3, 2012

I've just returned from a 5 night stay at La Tortuga and would highly recommend the hotel if you want a good independent experience. I was particularly keen to avoid the "all-inclusive, resort hotel" route and my decision proved right.
La Tortuga benefits from a prime location just behind the popular bars and restaurants of 5th Avenue. During the day it's oasis of tranquility with a very private and seluded pool area which is ideal for quiet relaxing. Yes, a lot of the pool area is shaded but if it's sun and sand you're after then the hotel has reciprocal arrangements with Zenzi Beach and Mamitas. Personally, I'd go for Zenzi Beach. There is a minimum spend for 200 pesos per person but with food and drinks you'll easily hit it. More to the point the food at Zenzi is excellent (some of the best Ceviche we ate).
Back to La Tortuga, we had a Junior Suite (305) with a lovely roof terrace and jacuzzi bath which was ideal for night time drinks or daytime lounging. The room was spacious and the beds were extremely comfortable.
I noticed that some reviewers commented on the state of the towels in the bathroom which are a little threadbare but this is a minor detail. I would also point out that there is noise from the local nightclubs (Coco Bongo and Palazzo) which can be heard into the small hours into the morning so if you are alight sleeper it would be advisable to bring earplugs.
The hotel staff are extremely polite and only too pleased to help. We took a recommendation from Laura on reception to go to a local eatery called "El Fogon"...mark my words this place is aweosme!! Forget fine dining! This is an authentic mexican experience and should not be missed.
Overall I'd have to recommend La Tortuga.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
La Tortuga H, Guest Relations Manager at La Tortuga Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2012

Dear valued Guest,
Firstly I would like to thank you for taking a minute to write about La Tortuga Hotel & Spa. We are thrilled to hear that you are recommending our boutique hotel, and that you and your family had such a delightful and memorable stay.
We take great pride in the fact that our customer service and high standards has become our trademark and has gathered us at La Tortuga Hotel & Spa a standout choice when compared to other hotels in the area.
We welcome and value our customer comments as they are what help us to keep making changes within the hotel to grow, obtain and achieve our high quality standards and customer care.
I have shared your comments with our staff and they are grateful for your kind positive words. Once again, thank you and we sincerely hope to have the opportunity in welcoming you and your family back to La Tortuga Hotel & Spa soon.

Johanna Reside

Reviewed April 2, 2012

We just got back from 7 nights at La Tortuga. This was our first venture into a non-all inclusive in Playa, and we loved it! After reading the reviews, we were a little worried about the noise, but we heard no noises the whole week we were there. We were in a swim-up room (#108), so we were on the opposite side of the hotel from Coco Bongo, however. If you are worried about noise, ask for a room by the bar/lounge. Ours was right next to it and very quiet.

The service was incredible - our airport transfer was on time, fast and friendly (we landed at 5:20am, and were on the beach in Playa by 7:30am). No matter, from breakfast to happy hour, door men to check-in, to hanging out by the pool, -- they took care of our every need. The day we lounged by the pool, they skimmed and vacuumed it three times.

As for the negatives listed by other reviewers (besides the noise), every hotel we've ever stayed at in Mexico has smelled a little musty. It's pretty normal for rooms that stay tightly closed all day in humid conditions. And as for towels, we were usually given 2 bath towels and one hand towel. When we called to ask for more, however, they were delivered promptly.

Being so close to 5th Avenue is the best part, and though Mamitas is a bit of a walk, we preferred it to Zenzi. If you go early (I usually went around 8am), there was no foot traffic on 5th, so it took me less than 10 minutes. The beach/water is far better at Mamitas, and their shrimp cocktail is marvelous.

We only have good things to say about La Tortuga, and next time we are in the mood for a non-all inclusive, we will definitely stay there!

Room Tip: Quieter rooms are by the bar/lounge.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kedDenver

Johanna Reside

Reviewed March 29, 2012

We booked our Mexico holiday through Imagine Latin America contact Meike, they suggested this hotel as part of our great trip. Tortuga was a quiet haven after the crowds in shops and on the beach. Great Staff and excellent cocktails. Loved the designs created with towels on the beds by the cleaning staff, always a surprise. All our hotels on our trip were great, if you are thinking of a trip to Mexico contact Imagine Latin America they were great, all our tours arrived on time the knowledge of the Guides was excellent, made our trip extremely enjoyable.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed March 24, 2012

we just came back from our week at La Tortuga Hotel and can testify that what everyone said is true, lovely, quiet hotel yet strategically positioned one block from the action on Avenida 5 and few blocks from our favorite beach, not La Mamitas too noisy, but the one next to Mosquito Blue with huge Beach Bed and great service of lunch food and drinks.
We loved the calm and beauty of the garden and the pool, the jacuzzi, the massage we got at the Spa, the Bar and its computer always available to check your mail and print your boarding passes. We liked the Breakfast and I am not sure I understand the mild complains from other guests, it had fresh squeeze orange and papaya juice, and store bought any other kind of juice, choices of eggs dishes anyway you like it, US style or Mexican style, basket of all wheat toasts and butter and jam, fresh fruit platter with granola and yogurt, pancakes, whole wheat or regular, Breakfast sandwiches etc... and of course Tea, coffee and all. The service was always friendly and personalized, maybe it helps that I am a bit fluent in Spanish, but we found the Staff in general to be above average pleasant and eager to help you.
Our room was on the 3rd floor, an upgraded room with a Balcony that we enjoyed daily, really quiet, with a working AC, and a ceiling Fan, a flat screen TV we barely watched, a mexican tiled bathroom with a shower that never ran out of warm water and a working Toilet, wich in Mexico is great news and somewhat not always happening. In all, a really lovely stay, Carlos at the door, Laura and Yanina at front Desk, Ariel and his staff and the restaurant, all of you we appreciated the quality and professionalism of your service and we thank you. I saved the best for last : our chamber maid made sure she folded our towels everyday in a different shape of animals or humans and I could not resist taking a picture every evening coming back from the beach.
One recommandation : the greatest ltlle restaurant OHLALA: only 7 tables on the sidewalk, a young couple he is the chef, she is the Maitre D'/waitress, couldnot have been more charming, helpful, gracious and the food totally delicious and way above any thing beeing served in town. fusion cuisine it is, we went there twice it was so delicious. not exactly a bargain, but you get what you pay for!

Room Tip: 3rd floor room , ours was 309, quiet and all!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple